PDA

View Full Version : A minor grumble...

slinkster
19th June 2008, 19:20
A few weeks ago I was told I'd be losing my job. It's only part time because I put the rest of my time towards starting up as a freelance illustrator, but it's still going to be an upheaval. It was no way near being the best job in the world but it's paid my bills for two years so it's quite sad and stressful; sending out applications and CV's left right and centre. I keep getting a mix of being excited for the change and then really nervous about it. I actually feel very limited and underqualified, plus I don't have much of this "experience" stuff they keep asking for.

It's hard. Unemployment is a scary thing, especially at the moment. There seems to be more people looking for work than there are jobs to go around, and there's usually ridiculously long waits to hear back from places too.

Urgh... excuse my grumblings... anyone want to offer me a job??

jim mcglinchey
19th June 2008, 20:11
Maybe it'll give you the time and energy to get your own business up and running.

slinkster
19th June 2008, 21:44
maybe... still got to pay my bills/rent though somehow... :(

Drew
19th June 2008, 21:54
Become a student? :p :

But seriously, don't worry about it too much, relax and keep trying :)

GridGirl
19th June 2008, 21:56
I've somehow been roped into working for our pensions department at work for the next 8 weeks. I'd gladly swap with you. What better way to make you more depressed about your fortunes later in life than when you start looking into a pension you've no hope in hell of seeing.

I suppose it all comes down to what kind of job your actually looking for. I'm sure there are quite a few temporary summer jobs that you could take before finding a permanent part time position. :)

OWFan19
19th June 2008, 23:15
A few weeks ago I was told I'd be losing my job. It's only part time because I put the rest of my time towards starting up as a freelance illustrator, but it's still going to be an upheaval. It was no way near being the best job in the world but it's paid my bills for two years so it's quite sad and stressful; sending out applications and CV's left right and centre. I keep getting a mix of being excited for the change and then really nervous about it. I actually feel very limited and underqualified, plus I don't have much of this "experience" stuff they keep asking for.

It's hard. Unemployment is a scary thing, especially at the moment. There seems to be more people looking for work than there are jobs to go around, and there's usually ridiculously long waits to hear back from places too.

Urgh... excuse my grumblings... anyone want to offer me a job??

Dude, been there. I will pm you my advice.

Azumanga Davo
20th June 2008, 11:34
Dude, been there. I will pm you my advice.

It wouldnt involve becoming an oil speculator would it?

leopard
20th June 2008, 11:41
pm? have you asked her boyfriend for permission?

pino
20th June 2008, 11:49
Yeah guess it sucks, but I think you should take it as an opportunity to go and do something different and you never know, you might love it :D

There are plenty of jobs out there, you just need to keep looking :)

(J4MIE :p : )

OWFan19
20th June 2008, 14:34
It wouldnt involve becoming an oil speculator would it?

They are worse than lawyers and rapists.

So no.

OWFan19
20th June 2008, 14:35
Yeah guess it sucks, but I think you should take it as an opportunity to go and do something different and you never know, you might love it :D

There are plenty of jobs out there, you just need to keep looking :)

(J4MIE :p : )

Be glad you dont live in the States looking for a job. The economy sucks here, most people are taking jobs well bellow their career level.

pino
20th June 2008, 14:58
Be glad you dont live in the States looking for a job. The economy sucks here, most people are taking jobs well bellow their career level.

I am sure that there are still jobs available though, and I like to think that life isn't 100% about the money :)

OWFan19
20th June 2008, 16:05
I am sure that there are still jobs available though, and I like to think that life isn't 100% about the money :)

It shouldnt be, but when you have bills to pay it helps. Employee's are expendable to companies, companies only care about one thing, profit. They will can you in a heartbeat if it means saving 2% here or there. The problem here, everything is going up in price and our salaries are not adjusting to the increase.

slinkster
20th June 2008, 18:41
Thank you for the encouragement and advice guys and gals... I'm still looking and the redundancy has forced me to apply for jobs I perhaps wouldn't have done otherwise so fingers crossed. It's just the thought of being unemployed. My freelance work hasn't taken off yet so I can't rely on that to pay the bills and I need money to promote it further so it's a bit catch 22. I'm looking for full time work also really, for the money so lord knows what will happen with my freelance work if I go full time. I don't want to give up on it, but at the moment with things the way they are... money is paramount really. My compromise is going for full time positions that I really think I'll enjoy, and then crappier part time ones too... so we'll see.

I'm trying to be positive about this.. so keep everything crossed for me!

Sleeper
20th June 2008, 19:35
Good luck with that, I've been in work only 6 months now and am well aware that it can be an absolute bitch of a job to find a... er... job, especially when you'r not looking for full time work so that you have time to concentrate on actually getting a career.

Sarah
24th June 2008, 13:13
It's really difficult where I am - not many jobs and lots of people looking and there are too many employment agencies how they all survive I don't know.

Good luck with your search.

Garry Walker
24th June 2008, 14:56
Thank you for the encouragement and advice guys and gals... I'm still looking and the redundancy has forced me to apply for jobs I perhaps wouldn't have done otherwise so fingers crossed. It's just the thought of being unemployed. My freelance work hasn't taken off yet so I can't rely on that to pay the bills and I need money to promote it further so it's a bit catch 22. I'm looking for full time work also really, for the money so lord knows what will happen with my freelance work if I go full time. I don't want to give up on it, but at the moment with things the way they are... money is paramount really. My compromise is going for full time positions that I really think I'll enjoy, and then crappier part time ones too... so we'll see.

With the way our current economy climate is in world, consider every possible job for sure, even one that might not be suitable for someone of your qualification/skills.
I know a guy who thought his current job was not good enough for him and he deserved better, so with typical male bravado he quit it and has been unemployed now for close to 5 months with no offers, so one has to be careful these days.

Good luck!

Hazell B
24th June 2008, 15:02

Am crossing :)

The good news is that if you have a job, any old job, you are far more liable to get another easily. Unemployed people are less liable to be offered a job when an employed person of the same skill level is also an applicant - or so I've always found.

So grab the first job you can and just wait for the real thing to show itself. Even if you're tending bar (which I ended up doing for about 15 or more years on a 'temp' basis :p : ) it beats being unemployed by miles :up:

rah
25th June 2008, 04:04
Depending on what you do for a living, come to Australia, we have a skills shortage at the moment.

leopard
25th June 2008, 05:15
Yeah there are a lot of space empty, Australia needs more inhabitant.

slinkster
26th June 2008, 16:52
Depending on what you do for a living, come to Australia, we have a skills shortage at the moment.

I'd love to! Not sure I'd be much use... I'm an Illustrator, but my b/f is an Engineer so I can imagine he'd be well recieved.

If it wasn't for the spiders... I'd be there. :D

GridGirl
26th June 2008, 20:58
You have to watch out about sending CV's to agencies. I was working somewhere a few weeks ago and the company had about 10 different CV's for the same person all from different agencies. They threw them all in the bin pretty much straight away.