PDA

View Full Version : Camping @ Silvertsone

Oli_M
19th June 2008, 16:59
Hi everyone

After some advice about camping at the Grand Prix.

What campsites do you recommend - they will need to be ones where you can turn up on Thursday (ie not pre-booked). I've been many times before, stayed at Litchlake which had the atmosphere but no facilities, and Whittlebury, which was (IMO) much nicer, but missed the pre-booking deadline this year. (Anyone know if you can just turn up at Whittlebury??)

Basically just a little bit of info is all I'm after - how far the site is from the track and what the facilities are like.

Cheers - Hopefully see some of you there?!?!
Oli

Valve Bounce
19th June 2008, 23:10
Here's an idea!! There used to be some Aussis outside the Australian High Commission in London with signs around their neck advertising VW Kombi campervans.
They are usually very good deals. Buy one, go camp at Silverstone, then return to the same place with the same sign and flog it for what you paid for it.

Tazio
20th June 2008, 02:17
Here's an idea!! There used to be some Aussis outside the Australian High Commission in London with signs around their neck advertising VW Kombi campervans.
They are usually very good deals. Buy one, go camp at Silverstone, then return to the same place with the same sign and flog it for what you paid for it.Valve, you truely are eleven,
on a scale of ten!
:rotflmao:

Valve Bounce
20th June 2008, 04:01
Valve, you truely are eleven,
on a scale of ten!
:rotflmao:

No!! I am serious this time!! A well known acquaintance did just that : bought a Kombi, drove to the Enterprise Worlds in England where he competed, then after his trip to Ireland where he won a trophy, he sold the van for a profit.

Tazio
20th June 2008, 04:09
No!! I am serious this time!! A well known acquaintance did just that : bought a Kombi, drove to the Enterprise Worlds in England where he competed, then after his trip to Ireland where he won a trophy, he sold the van for a profit.Would it follow than that you could by a Mclaren, party at Siverstone.
Drive it to Monaco. Ferry it to Tunisia Drive it to Casablanca Fly it to Lisbon. Ship it to the States,
and sell that for a profit?

Valve Bounce
20th June 2008, 06:58
Would it follow than that you could by a Mclaren, party at Siverstone.
Drive it to Monaco. Ferry it to Tunisia Drive it to Casablanca Fly it to Lisbon. Ship it to the States,
and sell that for a profit?

I doubt it. But if you want to buy a campervan in the States, go to Sunset City in Arizona, where all the retirees go to see out their last years. Good deals on Campervans there.

SGWilko
20th June 2008, 12:15
Sunset City in Arizona.

Twinned with Eastbourne!! :rotflmao:

I thought Florida was the place of choice for knackered out Amayreeecans? ;)

Valve Bounce
20th June 2008, 14:45
Twinned with Eastbourne!! :rotflmao:

I thought Florida was the place of choice for knackered out Amayreeecans? ;)

When the rheumatiz sets in, they go to the dry place in Arizona. They play tennis there till the heart stops, literally.

71minus2
20th June 2008, 23:37
i used to live in Buckingham and it was murder GP weekend, great cos you could watch on tv but open your windows and hear the cars but you cant move!

If i had a garden i would have had a campsite and charged a fortune for it. Morale of the story, dont bother. if you have no camping arrangements now you may as well camp in essex and drive there!

Valve Bounce
21st June 2008, 00:50
i used to live in Buckingham and it was murder GP weekend, great cos you could watch on tv but open your windows and hear the cars but you cant move!

If i had a garden i would have had a campsite and charged a fortune for it. Morale of the story, dont bother. if you have no camping arrangements now you may as well camp in essex and drive there!

One piece of advice, which may or may not help. My brother used to have army ordinance maps of the area surrounding Silverstone, and he got us there and away in very good time. Did the same for the GP at Brands, and we were home in very good time where we heard over the radio that the roads surrounding Brands were jammed and people couldn't get away from the venue.

Oli_M
21st June 2008, 15:49
Cheers for the info, keep it coming LOL !! Yeah I have a few back routes all sorted for the run home :D ..... found out the hard way 3 years ago LOL.

Mysterious Rock
22nd June 2008, 21:08
I would say that Litchlake is always a good choice, unless u drive through the village Im sure people will be letting out garden space ect.

Bolton Midnight
23rd June 2008, 12:11
Found this on a rallying forum

For anyone going to the F1 weekend at the start of July our Rally School can offer camping space for Caravans, Motor-homes and Winnebagos.

Unfortunately we can't offer tent pitches purely due to the fact that we have no facilities, it's strictly for self-contained mobile caravans/motor homes etc...

The Rally School is located right next door to the race track so is ideal for anyone who wants to camp close by.

Prices start at £40 for a small motor-home and the site will be available from Thursday 3rd to Sunday 6th of July.

All enquiries should be made by telephone to Andy Johnson at the Rally School on 01327 857413.

Cheers,
Steve
http://www.lindopmotorsport.com
http://www.silverstonerally.co.uk

Bolton Midnight
23rd June 2008, 12:12
Found this on a rallying forum

For anyone going to the F1 weekend at the start of July our Rally School can offer camping space for Caravans, Motor-homes and Winnebagos.

Unfortunately we can't offer tent pitches purely due to the fact that we have no facilities, it's strictly for self-contained mobile caravans/motor homes etc...

The Rally School is located right next door to the race track so is ideal for anyone who wants to camp close by.

Prices start at £40 for a small motor-home and the site will be available from Thursday 3rd to Sunday 6th of July.

All enquiries should be made by telephone to Andy Johnson at the Rally School on 01327 857413.

Cheers,
Steve
lindopmotorsport.com
silverstonerally.co.uk

GridGirl
23rd June 2008, 21:58
Urrrghhh I hate Litchlake, I like my sleep too much. You should try the Silverstone Recreational Association campsite but it is a bit of a walk from the track. I've always booked but they have in previous years saved spaces for people to turn up on a first come, first serve basis. It usually took me about 30 minutes. It's in Silverstone village and about 5 minutes from the village pub. It has porta loos but does have limited number of proper toilets. They also do food and have a band on. :)

I didn't want to camp this year and am in desperate need of a car parking pass. At the rate ebay is going, it will be cheaper to camp than park. Doh. :(