PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 3 Download Day

ChrisS
17th June 2008, 19:15
Firefox 3 was released today at 6pm UK time and they are trying to set a new record for most downloads in 24 hours

anyone else downloading it?

bowler
17th June 2008, 21:09
been using it for a month

Daniel
17th June 2008, 21:57
Firefox 3 was released today at 6pm UK time and they are trying to set a new record for most downloads in 24 hours

anyone else downloading it?
Not downloading it on the basis that it's a lame record :p Might download it tomorrow :p

Powered by Cosworth
18th June 2008, 07:09
I'm fine with RC2, will probably let it update itself.

janneppi
18th June 2008, 07:29
I wish firefox would have been launched at least a month later, them maybe Opera didn't have to put out a bit betaish version of their 9.50 browser trying to out do firefox. Even with some small nags, Opera still is full of hugs, kisses, explosions and fluffy kittens. :p :

Dave B
18th June 2008, 07:48
I've tried the beta and wasn't impressed enough to use it regularly. If and when it decides to update itself then fine, but I won't be rushing to help them with their publicity stunt.

Mark
18th June 2008, 07:55
I have downloaded it :p . About 5 times because whenever I ran it, it started the old version, until I realised you needed to shut the old one down first!

.tar.bz2 format, odd.

Storm
18th June 2008, 10:53
I read in the papers and was going but got stuck in work.
I will download it tomorrow maybe. .tar?

leopard
18th June 2008, 11:03
I don't event notice which version firefox currently I am using, as long as it isn't banned, to download the newer version is not something urgent. :)

Mark
18th June 2008, 11:03
Never come across bz2 before so the usual tar zxvf didn't want to know :p . bzip2 -d did the trick tho.

PetrolHead Rob
19th June 2008, 13:36
FF3 is a big improvement on the previous version. I love the way the tabs scroll. FF rocks!

Dave B
19th June 2008, 15:21
I downloaded it today, just to childishly not contribute to their record. I don't find it any faster than IE7 (with IE7Pro so I don't see ads), and it's already nagging me to re-install plug-ins I already have; so overall I can't even be bothered to say "meh"...

Daniel
19th June 2008, 15:22
I downloaded it today, just to childishly not contribute to their record. I don't find it any faster than IE7 (with IE7Pro so I don't see ads), and it's already nagging me to re-install plug-ins I already have; so overall I can't even be bothered to say "meh"...
I'm going to put in a submission to the Guiness World Records people for the most boycotted download. I mean there's yourself and me on this forum. Must be more people around :p

Lemmy-Boy
25th June 2008, 21:13

You should install the FasterFox add on (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1269) to turbo charge the performance of FireFox.

A great ad blocker tool is:

1) AdBlock - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10
2) AdBlock Filgerset.G Updater - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1136

Firefox has a ton of addons that makes it a Superior Browser from IE7.

Daniel
25th June 2008, 22:30
You should install the FasterFox add on (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1269) to turbo charge the performance of FireFox.

A great ad blocker tool is:

1) AdBlock - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10
2) AdBlock Filgerset.G Updater - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1136

Firefox has a ton of addons that makes it a Superior Browser from IE7.
Why should you have to download **** to make it faster? Why don't they develop a non-crap version of Firefox that doesn't require 10 billion extensions and a lot of addons to do what people want it to do how they want it to? :mark:

Who blocks ads these days anyway? :mark: It seems to be the preserve of those who don't care about site revenue and those who are uber obsessed with not having ads. These aren't the 56k days where a few ads made your browsing experience significantly worse. We've got broadband and frankly unless there are popup ads, rollover ads or sound ads I couldn't care less....

Vivianita
26th June 2008, 00:42
Damn! I forgot to download it... :(

Anyway, my brother downloaded it for me some days ago and I hate it :mad: I hate that thing it does when I type an url, it shows a list with the url and the name of the website, I hate that :angryfire Does anyone know how can I do to make it only show the list of websites, without its name?

Valve Bounce
26th June 2008, 01:19
I downloaded it and now when I try to bookmark a new page, it doesn't work so well.

Dave B
26th June 2008, 14:07
For funsies I tried using it as my main browser for a day. I honestly thought the internet was broken, what with all those "The page is empty" and "The website timed out while waiting for a response" errors.

My old AdBlock programme had to be re-installed, which I know technically isn't Mozilla's fault but should have been foreseen. I normally use IE7 Pro and rarely see an advert these days (sorry Daniel, but the ITV-F1 website is a much better place without Flash).

The address bar is a right royal pain, I appreciate it's trying to be helpful but it doesn't half slow things down. And why check downloads for viruses when my 'pooter does that anyway?

Internet Explorer isn't perfect, and it's got one hell of a mountain to climb to rid itself of its reputation as insecure (largely fixed in IE7). But judging by comments here and on other forums, Firefox has scored a massive own goal with this release and even alienated some of it's faithful fanboys in the process.

Drew
27th June 2008, 20:29
Damn! I forgot to download it... :(

Anyway, my brother downloaded it for me some days ago and I hate it :mad: I hate that thing it does when I type an url, it shows a list with the url and the name of the website, I hate that :angryfire Does anyone know how can I do to make it only show the list of websites, without its name?

I can't stand that either.

Also, I guess they didn't get the record? :p :