PDA

View Full Version : UN Tells UK to Ditch Monarchy

Rollo
16th June 2008, 23:31
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/theroyalfamily/2122182/Britain-should-get-rid-of-the-monarchy%2C-says-UN.html

The UN Human Rights Council said the UK must "consider holding a referendum on the desirability or otherwise of a written constitution, preferably republican".
The council has 29 members including Saudi Arabia, Cuba and Sri Lanka.
It was the Sri Lankan envoy who raised concerns over the British monarchy.

The resulting report said Britain should have a referendum on the monarchy and the need for a written constitution with a bill of rights.

I have two words for the UN and the second one is "off".

Apart from the fact that the UN itself was created out of the ashes of the bloodiest conflict that the world has ever seen, and that the UK itself was one of the founders, it appears as though the UN has not done its research.

No bill of rights? Um, not only are there the Bill of Rights 1689 and the Scottish Claim of Right 1689 (Scot), the UK is also signatory to the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights of 1948.

And as for the call that the UK needs a constitution? The England has been stable since the period of the Commonwealth and the UK from about 1701 (or 1801) except for the Irish Question.

Someone needs to give the UN a right boot up the date and a fist of fives.

Tshbez
16th June 2008, 23:51
I'd welcome it if it were possible. Get rid of our pompus, obnoxious and useless history and silly traditions. We need to move on from our past, we need to modernize.

BDunnell
16th June 2008, 23:59
I'm sorry, but I simply don't believe the substance of this story. Does anyone seriously believe that the UN is calling for the abolition of the British monarchy? I certainly don't.

Given that the only major British national newspapers to have reported this, as far as I can see, are the Telegraph, Express and Mail, I'm not going to worry because all three have been prone to reporting things like the 'political correctness gone mad' stories that keep on being brought out — 'Children forbidden from singing Baa Baa Black Sheep', that sort of thing. That story has never been true, by the way.

Drew
17th June 2008, 00:53
Why did the Sri Lankan government bring this up? Is ethnic violence not a big enough problem for them?

And I'm confused about the constitution thing. I always thought we didn't have one, then Gordan Brown said that the Lisbon Treaty didn't interfere with the UK's constitution and now the UN says we need to have one. What's the score?

Mark
17th June 2008, 08:18
We don't have a written constitution, but we kind of do have one but it's by tradition and precedent rather than anything written down.

Daniel
17th June 2008, 09:54
I'm sorry, but I simply don't believe the substance of this story. Does anyone seriously believe that the UN is calling for the abolition of the British monarchy? I certainly don't.

Given that the only major British national newspapers to have reported this, as far as I can see, are the Telegraph, Express and Mail, I'm not going to worry because all three have been prone to reporting things like the 'political correctness gone mad' stories that keep on being brought out — 'Children forbidden from singing Baa Baa Black Sheep', that sort of thing. That story has never been true, by the way.

:up:

Azumanga Davo
17th June 2008, 13:04
I would have thought the Sudan was a bigger concern?

But I do forget the UK is an easier target...

MrJan
17th June 2008, 13:36
What is the point of the monarchy? Seriously, what roles do they perform that are of significant value?

Drew
17th June 2008, 17:00
We don't have a written constitution, but we kind of do have one but it's by tradition and precedent rather than anything written down.

Right, that's a bit confusing. Can't they just write it down then? :p :

Jan, that's the opinion for abolishing the monarchy! Of course back in the day they were seen as superior as they were chosen by a god, but now we're in the 21st century it seems a little backwards, personally ;)

Hondo
18th June 2008, 01:52
Whats the point of a written constitution? We have one that government and the Supreme Court redefine and/or reinterpret as needed to suit their purpose. Since 9/11 they haven't even had to be sneaky about it. They just whip the ignorant into a fear frenzy with their "what ifs" and sit back in smug satisfaction as the peasantry willingly implores them them to piss all over their rights in the name of safety and security. What an unfortunate bunch of rubes.

A constitution, written or otherwise, is nothing unless the common people have the will and backbone to demand and enforce adhereance to it to the letter.

I fear we have lost ours.

Eki
18th June 2008, 20:44
If I were the UN, I'd tell the US to ditch their president. But I guess you all already knew it.