PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

306 Cosworth
16th June 2008, 12:35
This sunday at 8pm on Beeb2 :D

Just thought you should all know early :)

Mark
16th June 2008, 12:36
w00tage :D

MrJan
16th June 2008, 12:53
Cool :up:

J4MIE
16th June 2008, 13:43
Typically, it's the second year in a row I am out of the country when it starts again :mad:

306 Cosworth
16th June 2008, 14:45
Anyone seen the advert for it on BBC2?

maxu05
16th June 2008, 17:12
I hope I can download it soon after it airs, though, it might be on here in China after a month or so. It is popular here too.

NoahsGirl
16th June 2008, 18:29
Hurray! the reason why I pay my licence fee is back!

52Paddy
17th June 2008, 11:18
Typically, it's the second year in a row I am out of the country when it starts again :mad:

You're not on your own :s

MrJan
17th June 2008, 11:22
I hope I can download it soon after it airs, though, it might be on here in China after a month or so. It is popular here too.

My brother is in Canada and usually starts downloading a torrent within a few hours of it being on over here so you should be able to find it fairly easily :D

Daniel
17th June 2008, 21:58
Yay! Should have Sky+ on Sunday so I can watch it over and over again :p

Brown, Jon Brow
17th June 2008, 22:03
I can't wait to see the two Ferrari's doing powerslides around a Bentley that is also doing a powerslide!! :p

306 Cosworth
18th June 2008, 19:01
I can't wait to see the two Ferrari's doing powerslides around a Bentley that is also doing a powerslide!! :p

Now that's just stupid ;)

NoahsGirl
18th June 2008, 19:26
"Richard Hammond pays tribute to 50 years of touring car racing!"

Woo hoo, touring cars and Top Gear at the same time, in the same programme, this what heaven must be like

gloomyDAY
18th June 2008, 22:31
Cannot wait! I love TG. The one being developed for an American audience looks awful.

Rallyst3ve
18th June 2008, 22:37
Return the Cool Wall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p : :p : :p :

Brown, Jon Brow
18th June 2008, 22:56
Only 6 episodes!?!

Alfa Fan
18th June 2008, 23:06
Yeah, but there will be another series later in the year.

Mp3 Astra
19th June 2008, 00:09
Forget the British Top Gear, I'm waiting for the Australian "Gear" with Charlie Cox! :D

stevie_gerrard
19th June 2008, 02:05
Loving it :D Also loving the "biscuit Fight" advert for it, ingenious :laugh:

SparkyKate
19th June 2008, 10:13
Hurray! the reason why I pay my licence fee is back!

Me too, can't wait! and straight after Magny-Cours! Sundays make sense again!

Mihai
19th June 2008, 10:19
Anyone seen the advert for it on BBC2?

Watch both BBC2 adverts here :
http://www.topgear.ro/revista/stiri/incepe_noul_sezon_al_emisiunii_top_gear.html

Daniel
22nd June 2008, 20:50
Jeremy in the Fiat Coupe. :rotflmao:

306 Cosworth
22nd June 2008, 22:08
Brilliant :D

How close was that Wheel that came off to Hammond and the Camera Man :eek:

Daniel
23rd June 2008, 01:33
Must say the rest of the show was absolutely rubbish. The guests were crap and the rest of it was just crap :mark:

AndyRAC
23rd June 2008, 10:43
Haven't watched it yet, but I know some people who wish William 'Wooly' Woollard would come back.

MrJan
23rd June 2008, 12:41
Must say the rest of the show was absolutely rubbish. The guests were crap and the rest of it was just crap :mark:

But the sound of that Ferrari :eek: :D

I swear with these tasks that they keep doing that the production team pretty much sort out vehicles for each person to fit their sterotype. Still found it pretty funny when Hammond tried to deploy his 'stinger' and the Stig just drove past. :D

SEATFreak
23rd June 2008, 12:53

I must admit it wasn't as exciting as past episodes throughout the years. And Alan Carr and Justin-Lee-Collins weren't exactly engaging.

Though I thought Jeremy's introduction was classic. For about a year I have had to watch repeats of repeats on Dave.

306 Cosworth
23rd June 2008, 14:07

Agree with you there, except for the Supercar race and that F430 :D

Daniel
23rd June 2008, 15:04
I must admit it wasn't as exciting as past episodes throughout the years. And Alan Carr and Justin-Lee-Collins weren't exactly engaging.

Though I thought Jeremy's introduction was classic. For about a year I have had to watch repeats of repeats on Dave.

What irritates me about Alan Carr is that if he wasn't gay he wouldn't be famous. I mean he's not funny and he's supposed to be. Then there was Justin Lee Collins who was just as uninspiring and he's not even gay so you have to wonder why he was there :mark: If they're scraping the bottom of the barrel that much should they not just have guests on who haven't driven the new car? :mark:

Daniel
23rd June 2008, 15:05
The supercar race was just a bit pointless IMHO. The F430 was alright but it wasn't good enough to lift the whole show.

Daniel
23rd June 2008, 15:05
The supercar race was just a bit pointless IMHO. The F430 was alright but it wasn't good enough to lift the whole show.

Daniel
23rd June 2008, 15:07

MrJan
23rd June 2008, 15:15

Wow! Made your point there ;) :D EDIT: Lame there were 3 posts of that just a minute ago :laugh:

The trouble with getting guests on is that they only want to do it if they have something to plug, the lure of driving a Lacetti isn't fantastic. Basically TG just kind of have to take whoever is available. Add to that the likliehood of whoever represenets JLC and Carr actually asking to be on, something which saves a whole lot of effort on the part of the TG production crew who probably need to worry more about fuel and organising insurance and cars to drive. The guest bit, IMO, is dispensible but you can't overlook that they have to fill an hour each week and it can't all be Ferrari's and Lamborghini's and when they tried doing affordable and informative the show dive bombed and disappeared.

GridGirl
23rd June 2008, 21:42
Top Gear stuntman was so boring...he needs to go already.

gloomyDAY
24th June 2008, 02:53
This episode sucked!

I fell asleep while the gay guys were talking....

Hazell B
24th June 2008, 15:12
Top Gear stuntman was so boring...he needs to go already.

Dire just doesn't cover him, does it? :down:

Bet he doesn't outlast the six episode series before crashing in a fireball never to be seen again ;)

I watch Top Gear now only because I always have done, not because I want to. It's gone down hill since it became scripted, fixed and fake.

Sarah
24th June 2008, 16:25
I'm glad I taped it rather than sat through it. Didn't think I would be fast forwarding it so much.

Sleeper
24th June 2008, 17:19
Anyone know when the repeat is shown? I'm out sunday and cant tape it.

gloomyDAY
24th June 2008, 17:38
Anyone know when the repeat is shown? I'm out sunday and cant tape it.Next Sunday.

http://www.finalgear.com

Sarah
24th June 2008, 18:20
I've got Friday 9pm BBC2 for this week's repeat - don't know if it's accurate or going to be a regular thing though.

Brown, Jon Brow
24th June 2008, 20:44
You'd think they would have guests on that at least knew what cars they had owned. :rolleyes:

GridGirl
24th June 2008, 21:20
I thought you could watch it on bbc iplayer these days? :)

Daniel
25th June 2008, 07:37
I thought you could watch it on bbc iplayer these days? :)
You can :) But only in the UK

Hazell B
26th June 2008, 13:17
My guess is the repeated friday show will go back to tuesday repeats after the boring tennis is all done with.

52Paddy
29th June 2008, 23:02
Funny but bad episode. We all know now that these races are set up, yet they keep going. Didn't find it entertaining at all. The 'black' Merc did seem nice though.

J4MIE
29th June 2008, 23:10
Didn't think it was appropriate to show the rallying part after recent events in Donegal..........

Otherwise was as good as usual :)

52Paddy
30th June 2008, 00:16
Have to say, the news was funny.

"Sat nav would get a temper for no reason..."

Genius :D

Mark
30th June 2008, 08:17
I thought the show was an improvement over last week, more of a back to basics thing. Although I continue to believe the 'stunt man' thing is not funny at all and should be dropped.

Dave B
30th June 2008, 08:43
My big problem with the "races" is that I know how much work goes into setting them up, so when someone wins or loses by fractions of a second I know it's actually down to great planning by the production team rather than a close fight.

Top Gear Stuntman? I feel sorry for him, having to drive a Maestro, but beyond that I couldn't really care less.

James May was curiously low-key in this week's episode, which is a shame as I'm starting to find him the strongest link in the team.

Rallyst3ve
30th June 2008, 11:32
Wey the Cool wall's back :cheese:

Brown, Jon Brow
30th June 2008, 11:45
I agree with Hammond about Aston Martins being uncool. They were cool before they became good and everyone wanted one.

The same thing has happened with Bentleys. Too many rappers and Footballers drive them.

MrJan
30th June 2008, 13:00
I agree with Hammond about Aston Martins being uncool. They were cool before they became good and everyone wanted one.

It pains me to say so but I agree. Far too many knobheads are driving Astons these days. Old school Astons are still properly cool (DB5, DB4 Zagato) but Vanquish and DB9 have become names associated with footballers. RIP.

52Paddy
30th June 2008, 13:34
Top Gear Stuntman? I feel sorry for him, having to drive a Maestro, but beyond that I couldn't really care less.

I have to say, they pulled the stunt off well. Its difficult to do that barrel roll and they came close. A little more work on perfecting the landing and he would have made it. Having said that, it was clear that Top Gear just wanted to show us a crappy old Maestro being bashed to bits. And fun it was :D

Dave B
30th June 2008, 13:53
I have to say, they pulled the stunt off well. Its difficult to do that barrel roll and they came close. A little more work on perfecting the landing and he would have made it.
I'm fast getting the impression that the whole point of that segment is to show TGS ballsing-up stunts and turning into a kind of "Eddie The Eagle"-type figure.

Daniel
30th June 2008, 15:05
James May was curiously low-key in this week's episode, which is a shame as I'm starting to find him the strongest link in the team.

Agreed.

Clarkson - Road tests stuff, describes it as epic while there are a few sweeping pictures of it driving through some moorland. Also bound to mention how great the engineering is that goes into whatever car he's driving at the time.
Hammond - Whiney little thing. Likes 911's.
May - The only reasonable one of the bunch. Probably has a fine sense of direction but always gets painted as having a poor sense of direction.

There I've just summed up the whole TG team :mark:

I'm going to sound like one of the people always whining on the BBC site but why don't they stick to testing cars? They're pretty good at it and why not test some real cars that everyday people might buy. The Subaru and Evo bit was alright but a lot of people can't even dream of owning a car like that.

Ambitious but rubbish my arse. They just do the same old tired crap each week now :mark: I think they should also stick to having 1 supercar type car each week. It's all fine and dandy watching some car with a 50l engine and 790 thousand bhp thundering around the track or down a motorway but at the end of the day you know you'll never have one so it gets boring quickly.

306 Cosworth
30th June 2008, 18:41
Having normal cars on the show will be just as boring too :s

If you don't like it, then don't watch it. Simple.

Daniel
30th June 2008, 19:26
Having normal cars on the show will be just as boring too :s

306 :) You'll understand when you hit 13 that supercars while interesting at times can be boring when you think that you will never ever ever own one....

Rallyst3ve
30th June 2008, 19:38
If ya want normal cars watch Used Car Roadshow or something :o

Does anyone actually like the new Impreza or Evo??

Hazell B
30th June 2008, 19:44

You wouldn't say that if you remembered how funny, natural and downright interesting the show used to be - but you're probably just not old enough.

Imagine if your favourite singer or band started to just produce tosh rejected by McFly and you're half way to our view of modern Top Gear.

MrJan
1st July 2008, 08:38
When Top Gear was sensible and tested cars we could all afford it was presented by Kate Humble and Quentin Wilson and everyone agreed that it was rubbish. I'll never own a supercar but it's also unlikely I'll own a small Peugeot or a Ford Mondeo, guess which one I'd rather watch a programme about on TV.

Steve: I quite like the Evo, looks fecking mean but the Scooby is a huge backwards step. Seems like Subaru wanted a nice sedate family car but instead of making a completely new car (more than 3 cars in the range, you must be mad), they called it an Impreza. Kia make nicer looking cars than that.

Daniel
1st July 2008, 08:40
When Top Gear was sensible and tested cars we could all afford it was presented by Kate Humble and Quentin Wilson and everyone agreed that it was rubbish. I'll never own a supercar but it's also unlikely I'll own a small Peugeot or a Ford Mondeo, guess which one I'd rather watch a programme about on TV.

Steve: I quite like the Evo, looks fecking mean but the Scooby is a huge backwards step. Seems like Subaru wanted a nice sedate family car but instead of making a completely new car (more than 3 cars in the range, you must be mad), they called it an Impreza. Kia make nicer looking cars than that.
I wasn't saying it should all be cheap stuff :) That's just silly. Part of the draw is the supercars. But when you have loads and loads of cars that you'll never be able to afford then that in itself is boring. Mix it up a bit.

Rallyst3ve
1st July 2008, 10:49
Mr Jan Yeo
Kia make nicer looking cars than that.

:laugh: :Yep they shouldnt have called it the Impreza.
Still dont no whether i like the Evo but would have over the Impreza though :p probably the back of it that isnt right, be intresting to see what the rally version of the new Evo looks like could be seeing plenty of them next year in the Evo Challange

J4MIE
1st July 2008, 10:52
I quite like the Evo, looks fecking mean but the Scooby is a huge backwards step. Seems like Subaru wanted a nice sedate family car but instead of making a completely new car (more than 3 cars in the range, you must be mad), they called it an Impreza. Kia make nicer looking cars than that.

Agree 100%, hate the Subaru but wouldn't say no to an Evo X :up:

Rallyst3ve
1st July 2008, 10:54
The Impreza was quicker round the track wasnt it???????

MrJan
1st July 2008, 11:09
The Impreza was quicker round the track wasnt it???????

By a gnats doodah. Is it worth being point whatever of a second quicker when you drive around in something that ugly? I think not :D

J4MIE
1st July 2008, 11:18
Shame there won't be an Evo X WRC :(

Rallyst3ve
1st July 2008, 11:40
Mr Jan Yeo
Is it worth being point whatever of a second quicker when you drive around in something that ugly? I think not :D

:D Agreed. I just thought the Evo would be quicker cos it seemed to have better handling.

Yeah would be great to see Evo WRC i thought there last WR car was good but unfortunately dont see them here in the UK

52Paddy
1st July 2008, 13:28
Shame there won't be an Evo X WRC :(

Still, wonder how the GpN car will compare to its ancestors. It seemed that an Evo 7 could beat an Evo 8 or 9 if the drivers had the capability. Wonder will the Evo 10 be something special or just another facelift.

Hazell B
1st July 2008, 14:11
I just thought the Evo would be quicker cos it seemed to have better handling.

Or a slightly poorer quality 'Stig' driving it's lap ;)

306 Cosworth
1st July 2008, 15:52
:D Agreed. I just thought the Evo would be quicker cos it seemed to have better handling.

Yeah would be great to see Evo WRC i thought there last WR car was good but unfortunately dont see them here in the UK

Yes we do MMSP have two or three available to hire, Phil Morrow drove one on a Scottish round earlier in the year, and I suspect there will be a Lancer WRC05 at Rallyday again this year.

Rallyst3ve
1st July 2008, 17:09
306 Cosworth
Yes we do MMSP have two or three available to hire, Phil Morrow drove one on a Scottish round earlier in the year, and I suspect there will be a Lancer WRC05 at Rallyday again this year.

Yeah there are some but not on the rallies that i go to unfortunately :p : dont think ive ever seen one on a BTRDA or MSA gravel event. Nesbitt and Higgins did use one in Ireland couple of years ago and were competive

306 Cosworth
1st July 2008, 19:12
Yeah there are some but not on the rallies that i go to unfortunately :p : dont think ive ever seen one on a BTRDA or MSA gravel event. Nesbitt and Higgins did use one in Ireland couple of years ago and were competive

Apprently they're more expensive to hire than an S11 Impreza from McKinstrys!

Mark
2nd July 2008, 13:15
The whingers are out again I see!

Top Gear rapped for alcohol use
Motoring show Top Gear has been criticised by the BBC Trust after viewers complained about "highly irresponsible" footage.
The Polar Special featured hosts Jeremy Clarkson and James May drinking while driving as they tried to reach the Magnetic North Pole last year.
The trust said the scene "could be seen to glamorise the misuse of alcohol".
The show's executive producer said they were beyond the jurisdiction of drink driving laws in international waters.
'Editorial purpose'
The trust was also told that the neither presenter was shown "drunk or out of control of the vehicle".
The BBC Trust said the scene "was not editorially justified in the context of a family show pre-watershed".
However, it added that at present in the UK, "it is legal to drink a small amount of alcohol and still drive".
In the same show complaints were also made about scenes showing frostbitten genitalia.
The trust said there was "a clear editorial purpose for the inclusion of an image of a frostbitten penis, which had been shown for "a medical rather than a sexual purpose".

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/entertainment/7485313.stm

Published: 2008/07/02 11:25:37 GMT

© BBC MMVIII

Mark
2nd July 2008, 13:15
The whingers are out again I see!

Top Gear rapped for alcohol use
Motoring show Top Gear has been criticised by the BBC Trust after viewers complained about "highly irresponsible" footage.
The Polar Special featured hosts Jeremy Clarkson and James May drinking while driving as they tried to reach the Magnetic North Pole last year.
The trust said the scene "could be seen to glamorise the misuse of alcohol".
The show's executive producer said they were beyond the jurisdiction of drink driving laws in international waters.
'Editorial purpose'
The trust was also told that the neither presenter was shown "drunk or out of control of the vehicle".
The BBC Trust said the scene "was not editorially justified in the context of a family show pre-watershed".
However, it added that at present in the UK, "it is legal to drink a small amount of alcohol and still drive".
In the same show complaints were also made about scenes showing frostbitten genitalia.
The trust said there was "a clear editorial purpose for the inclusion of an image of a frostbitten penis, which had been shown for "a medical rather than a sexual purpose".

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/entertainment/7485313.stm

Published: 2008/07/02 11:25:37 GMT

© BBC MMVIII

MrJan
2nd July 2008, 14:02
I'm sure all the kids will be drink driving across polar landscape now that, 'king of cool', Jeremy Clarkson has done it :rolleyes:

Dave B
2nd July 2008, 14:34
from yesterday's Media Guardian (http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/mediamonkey/2008/07/suffer_little_children_they_ce.html):
[Jon] Holmes, who can now be heard on BBC 6Music, told delegates at the Radio Academy in Glasgow that most people who complain are, er... nutters. "Just write back: Dear nutter, piss off," he advised.

Yup, I think that just about sums it up.

306 Cosworth
3rd July 2008, 10:02
Haha spot on Dave :up:

Mark
3rd July 2008, 10:49
I'm rather disappointed that the BBC bosses have apologised for this. There was nothing to apologise for IMO. If you can't work out the difference between the driving conditions in the North Pole and driving on the A167 in County Durham then you shouldn't be allowed to stay up past 8pm anyway.

Daniel
3rd July 2008, 11:19
I'm rather disappointed that the BBC bosses have apologised for this. There was nothing to apologise for IMO. If you can't work out the difference between the driving conditions in the North Pole and driving on the A167 in County Durham then you shouldn't be allowed to stay up past 8pm anyway.
The stupid thing is they weren't even advocating being drunk and driving. If they were driving on the ice drunk I could understand but they weren't. They pointed out it was all legal and it is clear that it was done for effect.

Not joking or anything but I wonder if these complaints always come from the same pocket of people? I don't think the sort of people who watch Top Gear normally are the sort of people who would feel that they did anything wrong.....

Rallyst3ve
3rd July 2008, 11:24
:beer: Cant believe some people have complained bout that they wernt even drunk and yeah its not like they had any traffic or pedestrians to avoid if ya dont like it dont watch it :p

MrJan
3rd July 2008, 11:28
:beer: Cant believe some people have complained bout that they wernt even drunk and yeah its not like they had any traffic or pedestrians to avoid if ya dont like it dont watch it :p

Probably Greenpeace moaning then, you don't want to crash into Polar bears.

maxu05
3rd July 2008, 11:36
Just another whinge from beige cardigan wearers and tea cosy knitters. Pi55 off you fools, and stop spoiling the entertainment for people who know how to enjoy themselves. I watched that episode and saw nothing wrong with it at all.

Rallyst3ve
3rd July 2008, 11:36
Mr Jan Yeo
Probably Greenpeace moaning then, you don't want to crash into Polar bears.

If theres any left

That episode was classic though how Clarkson just hamered that Toyota Pickup through those boulders of snow :D

Sarah
4th July 2008, 20:31
Just seen this on C4 teletext "Fears are growing that James May and Richard Hammond may quit Top Gear as they have not signed new contracts.

It's reported that their current BBC deals run out at the end of July and they are holding out for salaries more in line with Jeremy who has just signed a lucrative contract.

A source told MediaGuardian.co.uk "There's talk that there could be a break up of the team."

J4MIE
4th July 2008, 21:37
Why aren't there more complaints about sleeping and driving too? It's only fair.

To be honest I think that this series so far has not been as good as before, so don't know how much longer they can do it for. Would be a shame to see them part company but May and Hammond don't make the program - Clarkson does. If he wasn't there, there wouldn't be the program. Simple.

Hazell B
5th July 2008, 20:04
They'll get the extra cash (and sign to make more individual shows like the toy one May made) and it'll blow over.

It's a non-story, as usual, just to get the show extra media space.

Daniel
6th July 2008, 20:45
What an annoying bunch of idiots. Wrecking two perfectly good Alfa's for no good reason at all..... Makes the last 2 episodes look great.

Mark
6th July 2008, 21:51
Lol. They were far from perfectly good.

Daniel
6th July 2008, 22:01
Lol. They were far from perfectly good.
That GTV was very nice and the 75 was fine until Clarkson started crashing into things with it. The Spyder was a pile of crap though.

MrJan
6th July 2008, 22:42
The GTV was still alright at the end, bar the cheese. The 75 was a heap, any Alfa that costs under £500 is going to be a hanging bag of s***. For once I have found TG a very helpful program as, thanks to it's educational content, I am no longer thinking of trying to pick up an Alfa for under a £1000 (I had actually given it some thought :uhoh:

52Paddy
7th July 2008, 12:38
I thought it was entertaining but there wasn't as much content as usual. The Alfas made up most part of the show. What I don't like is these days, the fun is sucked out of it when you can so clearly notice how set up it is. Maybe I've just grown up! :s

Daniel
7th July 2008, 12:42
I thought it was entertaining but there wasn't as much content as usual. The Alfas made up most part of the show. What I don't like is these days, the fun is sucked out of it when you can so clearly notice how set up it is. Maybe I've just grown up! :s
I'm as immature as they come Paddy and I thought it was crap :p

SEATFreak
7th July 2008, 13:06
When JC asked why theirs no women racing drivers did anyone find themselves wanting to scream at the TV, "Fiona Legatte!"?

Whilst I am making this post my view on not just the complaints about the drink-driving allegation in the North Pole challenge...which was first broadcast in SERIES 9....ABOUT A YEAR AGO...Who on this forum ever takes any thing Jeremy, James and Richard are asked to do as gospel? As a lesson in how do behave?

Imbeciles! Top Gear is ENTERTAINMENT which uses cars and driving as the main medium by which they are meant to perform the challenges.

Daniel
7th July 2008, 13:10
When JC asked why theirs no women racing drivers did anyone find themselves wanting to scream at the TV, "Fiona Legatte!"?

When SEATFreak asked if anyone found themselves wanting to scream "Fiona Legatte!" at the screen did anyone not find themselves wanting to scream "JC was talking about Forumula 1!"?

:p

SEATFreak
7th July 2008, 15:51
When SEATFreak asked if anyone found themselves wanting to scream "Fiona Legatte!" at the screen did anyone not find themselves wanting to scream "JC was talking about Forumula 1!"?

:p

I honestly am at a loss to know how to take that.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Daniel
7th July 2008, 15:52
I honestly am at a loss to know how to take that.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?
What I was saying was JC was talking about female drivers in F1 :) If I'm not very much mistaken Fiona Legatte isn't an F1 driver :)

Drew
7th July 2008, 16:41
I have to say the series so far has been a bit of a dissapointment tbh. It's still far better than fifth gear, but considering what was expected it's not been brilliant. I hate top gear stuntman, nuff said :p :

52Paddy
7th July 2008, 16:56

Now that, I can take as gospel! :laugh:

cosmicpanda
7th July 2008, 17:30
From what I've managed to catch on youtube, the Alfa challenge was good. I particularly liked the gag about James memorising the corners of the circuit from a map.

I've solved the scripting issues to my own satisfaction by accepting that it's an entertainment TV show, and not a reality show. It'd probably be a bit boring if it was unscripted.

52Paddy
8th July 2008, 18:03
It'd probably be a bit boring if it was unscripted.

I disagree. If done correctly [ironic though it sounds], unscripted work turns out better imo. If Top Gear actually raced properly with no gimmicks, it would be a more useful test for the cars and could pose some funny problems, rather than setting them up.

But if it works for you, I'm happy for you. It doesn't for me though. :)

Hazell B
9th July 2008, 19:49
Before it was scripted it was funnier by miles, which would make it unscripted when it was at it's best cosmicpanda ;)

Okay, they used to know roughly what they'd say and do, like all TV, but the banter was natural vefore. Not so now.

Anyone watch The Gadget Show?
It's almost as funny as Top Gear used to be.

Sarah
9th July 2008, 21:06
Yes i've been watching The Gadget Show more than I used to.

Hazell B
10th July 2008, 20:30
To be honest, I hadn't ever watched it until recently, but as Sarah says it's sort of a must-see now.

Anyway, my other half likes Suzy Perry :p :

Bezza
12th July 2008, 14:11

STOP WATCHING IT THEN!

Daniel
12th July 2008, 19:46
STOP WATCHING IT THEN!
Yes master :p

Hazell B
13th July 2008, 18:57
STOP WATCHING IT THEN!

Nooooooo!!!!

It's like car crash TV (in every sense :p : )

Daniel
13th July 2008, 20:55
That was better :) No **** guests and no pointlessness

AndyRAC
13th July 2008, 21:01
I have to be honest, I've gone off the 'Races' - Jeremy always drives the car, and always ends up winning.

Brown, Jon Brow
13th July 2008, 21:31
Entertaining TV

Although they shouldn't have been allowed to show the Alfa before the 9pm watershed. :p

Rallyst3ve
13th July 2008, 23:12
Japanese race was a laugh lovin the Bill Oddie mask i want one :p :p

I've noticed how it always seems to be Jezza who's testing the cars now

anybody like that new Nissan GT-R???

Bezza
14th July 2008, 08:28
Fiona Bruce is immense!

Dave B
14th July 2008, 09:54
The second they started the Bullet Train race this week, Susy and I both predicted "Jeremy will win by about a minute and James will make his pocket translator say 'oh cock' in Japanese". Who knew, eh?

Hazell B
15th July 2008, 19:56
Who knew, eh?

:laugh:

Sounds like my house .....

306 Cosworth
15th July 2008, 22:21
Didn't watch this weeks episode as I was too enthralled in an online battle on Battlefield 2 :p :

Not really surprised to hear Jezza won the race though, which is slightly annoying, and abit unrealistic I think as the bullet train should have easily won!

Dave B
16th July 2008, 08:09
Despite our cynicism the producer, Andy Wilman, insists that the races aren't fixed:

Lots of people ask lots of questions about the races - how do you shoot them so nicely if you're in a race? Are the results fixed? - that's two popular ones.

Well, what we do is shoot the race in real time - car on the road, camera car alongside, no stopping for extra shots - get the result, and then the director and camera crew spend another two days after the race going back over the route to get the pretty shots.

You have to do this because a race shown on telly with just the shots you get on the move during the actual race will look ****, and you and us deserve better than that.

And in answer to the second question, no, the result is the result. If the car wins the car wins and vice versa.

People get suspicious because the results always go to the wire, but what we do is plan the route beforehand, and we always make sure that mathematically both journey times will be close.

It's not rocket science, you just need average motorway speeds and train times etc. After that the presenters are on their own.

If something goes wrong for them - say they get lost, the camera crew can't dive in and help them, because they're only recording the race, not taking part in it.

http://www.topgear.com/blogs/planettopgear/133-tgtv-show-4-preview/

Do we believe?

Andrewmcm
16th July 2008, 13:52
In fairness the car didn't win the race across London....

Drew
16th July 2008, 16:01
Do we believe?

That depends, is the cynacism based on anything or just based on the fact that Jeremy Clarkson (and the car) almost always win?

Unless a sceptic can provide evidence to prove that it's faked, I think that's pretty much it :p :

Rallyst3ve
16th July 2008, 20:57
Jeremy should go on Public Transport next time :D
They should do Land's End to John O G'roats ;)

Mark
17th July 2008, 07:50
They should do Land's End to John O G'roats ;)

That would be a good one! But having thought about it for more than a minute, I think the car would win easily. It has to be something where theoretically they will make the journey in the same time.

Rallyst3ve
17th July 2008, 08:28
Mark
I think the car would win easily.

Probably :D
May could fly a plane again that would give them a chance :D

cosmicpanda
17th July 2008, 13:05
Before it was scripted it was funnier by miles, which would make it unscripted when it was at it's best cosmicpanda ;)

Okay, they used to know roughly what they'd say and do, like all TV, but the banter was natural vefore. Not so now.

Each to their own, I guess. I'm far happier watching new episodes than re-runs, though, even though I do have to watch it on youtube, split into seven parts :p

As to the other matter of the races always being close - I seem to remember the race to Oslo not being close, same with the North Pole.

Hazell B
17th July 2008, 14:56
Do we believe?

NO WE BLOODY DO NOT!!!

As you all well know, they filmed the silver Alfa with James May months AFTER the 'race' against the man walking the Humber flats was filmed. I posted about it at the time as they filmed outside my field (which isn't even on the route they claimed to have taken :mark: ).

If it's real, how come normal, everyday things like breakdowns, injury, dire weather, broken cameras, failed film, sound difficulties, blah blah, don't happen unless they're for 'comedy' purposes?

Pull the other one, BBC :rolleyes:

Dave B
17th July 2008, 15:26
I also remember some peeps here saying similar things about the Stig racing to Knockhill while the TG team assembled a kit car. If memory serves, the reason the Stig was never shown arriving at the track is that the two segments were filmed on seperate days.

Mark
17th July 2008, 19:54
Clarksons reviews are always the same. He does on for ages about how good a car it is.. Then goes no it is actually pants.

Daniel
17th July 2008, 20:38
Clarksons reviews are always the same. He does on for ages about how good a car it is.. Then goes no it is actually pants.

I think he's right though in a lot of cases.

The Alfa has a shedload of style and bucketloads of class but as a car to take on a racetrack there are better cars for less.

Hazell B
18th July 2008, 14:19
If memory serves, the reason the Stig was never shown arriving at the track is that the two segments were filmed on seperate days.

The one where May flew a light plane and Clarkson drove was also over at least two days, but I can't remember how I know that. I used to know somebody who went out with a part of the team, so she may have told me. Anyway, one of them (Hammond I think) had clearly had a haircut between getting on and leaving the dingy, which they tried to hide with a windswept look :rolleyes:

As for Clarkson being right when he says the same thing each week - so what if he is? He's a journalist, a person who's paid to say things in an interesting manner, not just repeat the usual set routine.

It's astonishing he doesn't find them all astounding :p :

Daniel
20th July 2008, 21:02
Jeremy wasn't wearing a seatbelt in the Terios. How long till there is a complaint about it? :D

Drew
20th July 2008, 21:35
And that piece of rag that was covered in fox piss was on in some shots and not in others :p :

AndySpeed
20th July 2008, 22:05
And that piece of rag that was covered in fox piss was on in some shots and not in others :p :

Maybe it was covered in mud and grass so that you couldn't see it because it blended in!

Mark
21st July 2008, 07:58

You noticed that too eh? ;) . Yes it was definitely not there half way thought the film, then it came back.

I think it's one of those ones which were shot over several days, notice you never saw the hunt and the car in the same shot together.

MrJan
21st July 2008, 12:51
I still enjoyed last night's episode :) Quite liked seeing the old Roller and Merc, even if it did just lead to another whinge about how crap central London is.

Daniel
21st July 2008, 12:52
I liked that bit too. But I thought they dragged it out for too long. I loved the Merc though :)

Dave B
21st July 2008, 13:48
Max Mosley's not on that list, is he? :p

Hazell B
21st July 2008, 15:58
I think it's one of those ones which were shot over several days, notice you never saw the hunt and the car in the same shot together.

My thoughts too. It was filmed over the cold months, when days are short, with fully fit hounds and horses, so having been there, done that I would say the Hunt and car were filmed one day, the car only another day.

Hammond is a girl when it comes to riding - that jump was tiny and he squealed like a twelve year old kid! :laugh:

SEATFreak
23rd July 2008, 19:36
Jeremy wasn't wearing a seatbelt in the Terios. How long till there is a complaint about it? :D

Give it a year and a bit and see the odds tumble and the complaints overwhelm the Points of View office.

You good folk realise don't you the people who recently complained about the "Polar Challenge Booze Binge" as some of them would probably term it, had a whole year this coming Sunday to complain about said challenge. It was Episode 7 of series 9 which went out on the 25 of July 2007. And for those that only picture in terms of series and episodes we are now on Series 11 Episode 6 this Sunday.

I wouldn't take the complaints of these people seriously Daniel. It takes them so long to thing of something that only eventually ammounts to nothing more than a ridiculous and frankly laughable baseless "Disney Crime" as I suppose it can be termed that I cannot see them as a serious moralistic threat to the freedom of certain shows to provide entertainment for the audience.

Hazell B
23rd July 2008, 20:14
I think the point is they made complaints at the time of the showing, then the results of those complaints took almost a year to come out.

It's usually weeks and weeks before complaints about TV are upheld or dropped, often months and months. Look at the current Channel 4 global warming issue, that has taken almost a year I think.

Hazell B
24th July 2008, 20:42
Max Mosley's not on that list, is he? :p

No, but he's got you down for Court no1 now, on his list :p :

Daniel
27th July 2008, 20:55
That was a genuinely enjoyable episode :cheese: :up:

306 Cosworth
27th July 2008, 21:10
Have to agree it was rather brilliant, how good did that Aston sound accelerating towards the finish line when they were waiting for it to appear :eek: I nearly wet myself :p :

Loved the bit where they all flew in the Spitfires or Hurricanes (They sounded and looked good anyway :p : )

Roll on the next series in the Autumn, shouldn't be too long to wait :D

Hazell B
28th July 2008, 15:31
Wonder how the Germna version's race ended up by the time it hit their screens?

I mean, the UK team were nine points down then all of a sudden won after only one more race? Or did I miss something? Me thinks the German version had a somewhat fairer outcome :p :

Alfa Fan
28th July 2008, 15:37
The points were to decide the time penalties in the final race I thought? So the British entry started 9 seconds after the German, and thus only the final race result mattered?

Hazell B
28th July 2008, 15:52
The points were to decide the time penalties in the final race I thought? So the British entry started 9 seconds after the German, and thus only the final race result mattered?

Of course, I'd forgotten that. Thanks.
All the same, I bet the German version (if it appears in their show) will have a different outcome.

ChrisS
28th July 2008, 16:46

The British entry started 4 seconds after the German not 9

The DBRS9 is GT1 car though isnt it? while the Porsche is a GT2 car. The Aston should have been more than 5sec per lap faster

Alfa Fan
28th July 2008, 16:58
It definitely wasn't the GT1 Aston they used. I think both cars were GT3. The Aston Martin DBR9 is the GT1 car, this was the DBRS9

Sleeper
28th July 2008, 17:41
Both cars were GT3's and the Aston started 4 seconds behind the Porsche, and considering the Aston is faster the win was almost believable.

TG were clearly keeping the best till last this series.

ChrisS
29th July 2008, 18:48
It definitely wasn't the GT1 Aston they used. I think both cars were GT3. The Aston Martin DBR9 is the GT1 car, this was the DBRS9

My mistake, thanks for clearing that up :)

Anyone knows when the D Motor version of the contest will air? I'd like to see it, hopefully it will be on youtube

Drew
29th July 2008, 23:04
I was expecting a load of comments about Jay Kay and how much of an annoying prick he is, perhaps it's just me?

The show was brilliant, I just hope they are more original and less fake for the next series :)

SEATFreak
31st July 2008, 13:25
I was expecting a load of comments about Jay Kay and how much of an annoying prick he is, perhaps it's just me?

In the words of someone, probably in Sci-Fi, ages ago "we are not alone".

And I must say you are certainly not alone.

The guy kept on banging on about beating Cowell. I felt life telling Jay Kay "Go away and grow some you little prick!".

The show was brilliant, I just hope they are more original and less fake for the next series :)

Yeah. I enjoyed some parts; the challenge where they had to convert cars into police cars nearly had me in stitches. And the challenge in Japan I liked. But somehow it wasn't as up to their usual standard.

May I suggest a reason? Could the alleged row over pay that could have seen Richard and James leave have played a part? Or it is just the guys who come up with the shows content?

Dave B
31st July 2008, 14:42
There wasn't really a row about pay, other than in the imaginations of headline writers.

May and Hammond wanted £x, the BBC wanted to pay £x-y. In the end they settled on some amount between the two, pretty standard contract negotiation which goes unreported every day in every other industry.

The only real problem Top Gear has is in coming up with fresh ideas. Having a race or buying three old bangers can still be hugely entertaining, but it gets somewhat repetitive. It's testament to the programme that they still do these things extremely well, but they desperately need some new ideas for future series.

Hazell B
1st August 2008, 01:32
In "Go away and grow some you little prick!".

Okay he was annoying, but that's down to it really meaning something to him. Of course, being fastest and almost as rich as Cowel, I'd say he's not only grown some, but they're larger than average ;)

Dave, new ideas not to include rubbish stunt men, I hope? :p :

Mark
4th November 2008, 14:43
Here we go again: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7707641.stm

Daniel
4th November 2008, 14:52
Hahahahaha has anyone seen the top gear scrap book which is on sale now? I wonder if these people used the standard complaint letter template? :p

Dave B
4th November 2008, 15:10
Dave reaches for his green biro and best writing paper....

Dear Daily Mail letters page,

I am writing to complain about the offensive remarks made by Jonathan... hang on, that was last week... Jeremy Clarkson on this week's Top Gear.

Obviously I didn't watch the programme but I object to my licence fee being wasted on this hooligan. It's bad enough that ITV had earlier shown footage of cars speeding in the rain, but I expect better from the British Broadcasting Corporation.

You don't get that nice Bruce Forsyth making jokes about murdering prostitutes, do you? No, he dresses in a dinner jacket and introduces some ballroom dancing, which is the sort of thing a public broadcaster should be showing. That Cherie Lunghi, crikey, she's the talk of my nursing home.

Yours rabidly,
etc

Hazell B
4th November 2008, 19:26
So, who wants to bet there's some saddo out there learning Morse to earwig and report on the Stig's soundtrack?

As for the moaners - leave them to it. Wasn't anything like an insult to specific people and if they can't get a joke I wouldn't worry about them.

306 Cosworth
6th November 2008, 23:46
Apparently there were about 2000 complaints made about it. Obviously people jumping on the Bandwagon AGAIN!!

I await to see their American trip on next Sundays shows and see how much Non PC stuff they say in that,

Who wants to bet they take the pi$$ out of some of the F1 drivers too?

Dave B
7th November 2008, 12:34
So, who wants to bet there's some saddo out there learning Morse to earwig and report on the Stig's soundtrack?
ME LIKE CHEESE and STRICTLY IS CRAP, according to the saddos!
http://expensivesmokeandradiopixies.wordpress.com/2008/11/04/top-gear-morse-code/

turves
7th November 2008, 12:35
In last weeks show I especially like the

So, Lewis Hamilton, HE'S DONE IT...

OR

AHHHHH, Never mind, maybe next year...

Hazell B
8th November 2008, 14:27
ME LIKE CHEESE and STRICTLY IS CRAP, according to the saddos!

I knew it. We breed some twits here in the UK :(

As for Stig being like cheese (it can't mean he likes cheese, as he never eats ;) ) I'm not so sure. Wouldn't him being like cheese mean he'd dry up in a hot car?

Dave B
10th November 2008, 16:32
Predictably the Daily Mail have already started moaning about Clarkson giving an American copper the finger in last night's episode.

Fortunately even their own readers appear to be tiring of the paper's anti-BBC/comedy/fun crusade, given that the vast majority of the comments below the online article (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1084523/BBC-new-taste-row-Jeremy-Clarkson-makes-obscene-hand-gesture-U-S-policeman.html?ITO=1490) are supportive of Top Gear.

Brown, Jon Brow
10th November 2008, 22:34
I'd just like to say this to those who saw Top Gear yesterday

I DRIVE A SMALL 1.2 FIAT!!!!! ;) :D

ChrisS
11th November 2008, 07:54
The episode was OK. It would have been better if they actually drove muscle cars for their American muscle car challenge.

The Corvette is not a muscle car its a sports car and I would call the CTS-V a muscle car either. The Challenger was the only muscle car

MrJan
11th November 2008, 13:12
Not sure that I agreed with the verdict either (that every car was great) The challenger looks cool (I think) and seems to go in a straight line but Hammond was bricking it when he showed the thing a corner.

Don't really mind about the muscle car thing, it was only a tag to have an excuse to drive powerful American cars on the salt flats.

Hazell B
11th November 2008, 17:19

Which leads me to ask what my 14ft something Range Rover and long wheelbase high roof Transit van say about me :eek: (Probably that I'm too cheap to buy better :p : )

Daniel
11th November 2008, 17:57

He was talking about the Panda not the GP :p

Brown, Jon Brow
11th November 2008, 22:19
He was talking about the Panda not the GP :p

Well 406's are enormous!! :laugh:

I might have to buy a slightly bigger car. I don't want to get any admirers hopes up :(

Hazell B
12th November 2008, 18:28
Are you trying to seduce us, Mr Brown?

MrJan
12th November 2008, 19:56
If he's trying to seduce me then I'm going to stop looking at this forum :p : ;)

Brown, Jon Brow
12th November 2008, 22:57
Well you are all only human after all ;)

Mark in Oshawa
24th December 2008, 20:03
AS a Canadian who was told about Top Gear by a friend who had seen the show while over in England, I have been watching bits and pieces on You Tube and you guys really do complain about what makes the show work. Yes the races come off contrived maybe at times but they are set up to be RACES, not walk overs. That complaint I cant get. Second of all, no one wants really to see TV shows where the hosts review nothing but boring beaters. We have plenty of that on North American TV and I can tell you most of the time those shows are boring as hell. No, Top Gear is unique and it is the humour that makes it worth watching. Anything with the boys out causing trouble is huge fun. The RV Motorhome Race I saw with May and Hammond racing BTCC drivers had me laughing so hard I damn near needed oxygen. This show is unique and a treasure for car buffs with a sense of humour. I would suggest to complain about this is to wonder what else is on British TV that is better. Certainly not fifth gear......which I we do get over here.....

MrJan
25th December 2008, 01:31
AS a Canadian who was told about Top Gear by a friend who had seen the show while over in England, I have been watching bits and pieces on You Tube and you guys really do complain about what makes the show work. Yes the races come off contrived maybe at times but they are set up to be RACES, not walk overs. That complaint I cant get. Second of all, no one wants really to see TV shows where the hosts review nothing but boring beaters. We have plenty of that on North American TV and I can tell you most of the time those shows are boring as hell. No, Top Gear is unique and it is the humour that makes it worth watching. Anything with the boys out causing trouble is huge fun. The RV Motorhome Race I saw with May and Hammond racing BTCC drivers had me laughing so hard I damn near needed oxygen. This show is unique and a treasure for car buffs with a sense of humour. I would suggest to complain about this is to wonder what else is on British TV that is better. Certainly not fifth gear......which I we do get over here.....

If you like it then get yourself uTorrent or the like. While my bro was in T.O he used to watch TG within hours of it being broadcast in the UK.

I agree that standard cars will be boring but you can never please everyone and few seem to remember how dull the programme was before the return of Clarkson. At one point we seemed to be only watching reviews of super minis and SUVs :down:

donKey jote
4th January 2009, 21:47
Watching the Vietnam special at the moment... Clarkson on a Vespa in Saigon with a bucket on his head :rotflmao:
May with his soggy dong :laugh:

yodasarmpit
4th January 2009, 23:46
Watching the Vietnam special at the moment... Clarkson on a Vespa in Saigon with a bucket on his head :rotflmao:
May with his soggy dong :laugh:
The Vietnam special was, well, special.

Great episode to end the current series on.

Mark in Oshawa
5th January 2009, 03:12
Clarkson anywhere causing trouble is always good entertainment.

donKey jote
5th January 2009, 16:06
The Vietnam special was, well, special.

Great episode to end the current series on.
:up:

silly schoolboy humour :s

Haven't laughed as much with a TG episode for ages :D :laugh:

Dave B
5th January 2009, 18:24
I know we always accuse TG of trickery, but Clarkson's fall looked real enough :eek:

Daniel
5th January 2009, 18:26
I know we always accuse TG of trickery, but Clarkson's fall looked real enough :eek:
and if it wasn't the Daily Mail would demand Jeremy wound himself retrospectively :D

Mark in Oshawa
6th January 2009, 05:24
Jeremy is just a twisted individual....

vauxhall corsa
6th February 2009, 18:31
Top gear is cool

gloomyDAY
6th February 2009, 18:47
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7873624.stm

Top gear is coolhttp://healthhabits.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/captainobvious.jpg

vauxhall corsa
10th February 2009, 16:25
does anybody no when the new series is starting.

ChrisS
10th February 2009, 16:31
BBC says spring 2009

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/nextseries.shtml

Captain VXR
10th February 2009, 18:44
BBC says spring 2009

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/nextseries.shtml

By which they mean May 31st 2009

vauxhall corsa
12th February 2009, 18:49
did you see the top gear with the plp50 car in it.

Dave B
22nd September 2009, 20:44
Good news. I've been on the internet and I found this (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2009/09/top_gear_on_bbc_hd_from_novemb.html):

The next series of Top Gear, starting November 15th, will be in HD :D

wedge
23rd September 2009, 00:06
Hopefully Hamster doesn't get his teeth re-whitened by then

J4MIE
23rd September 2009, 00:14
Hope it's not another series too far :s

Mark
23rd September 2009, 08:58
Good news. I've been on the internet and I found this (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2009/09/top_gear_on_bbc_hd_from_novemb.html):

The next series of Top Gear, starting November 15th, will be in HD :D

Excellent! Top Gear has been notable among BBC's own productions for not being in High Definition. Good to see they are putting that right!

AndyRAC
23rd September 2009, 09:57
Hope it's not another series too far :s

I agree, it's beginning to get stale. A few new ideas are needed. How about a Top Gear Rally Report?

No, I can't se that working.....

555-04Q2
23rd September 2009, 11:42
The 12th Top Gear Series starts her on the 7th October. Looking forward to it :)

Mark
9th November 2009, 13:31
Just a reminder that Top Gear returns to BBC2 and makes its first appearance on BBC HD this Sunday :D . 15th November 2009.

It's changed to 9pm now, presumably to avoid clashing with the X-Factor results show.

stevie_gerrard
9th November 2009, 15:19
Looking forward to the italian job style piece through the sewers of belfast :)

UltimateDanGTR
9th November 2009, 16:36
in episode 1 they are going to find what is 'apparently' the worlds best driving road in romania. and all 3 are in open top supercars (a lambo, DBS volante and Ferrari California) cant wait, i love top gear, although will admit it is not as good as it was in 2007.

series 10 was the peak i think (for you non-top gear nerds, thats the series where they go on the great driving roads in italy and switzerland and cross the channel in the toybota etc) hopefully top gear will be as good as it was then, even if it is still brilliant!

MrJan
9th November 2009, 18:06
Looking forward to this but will probably have to iPlayer it as going to be in the arse end of nowhere watching the Roger Albert Clark :D :D

Dave B
9th November 2009, 18:28
Top Gear and Doctor Who in the same week, we're being spoiled! :D

Dave B
9th November 2009, 19:26
Anybody fancy a sweepstake? How many episodes into the series before the Daily Mail blow a typical Clarksonesque comment out of all proportion and start encouraging people to complain?

My money's on 1.

Robinho
9th November 2009, 20:02
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8350222.stm

not this series, but there you go Dave, do i win!

Langdale Forest
9th November 2009, 21:32
Clarkson's comments can discriminate.

Mihai
9th November 2009, 21:42
I can't wait too see the final episode of the series, featuring the "obscure stretch of tarmac" aka the Transfagarasan road in Romania. I like to think I had a tiny contribution to it by doing some recce for JC & Co, one month prior to their arrival. My tip: expect some breath-taking images from helicopter. ;)

Dave B
10th November 2009, 08:12
Clarkson's comments can discriminate.
I agree, but you have to remember that the Clarkson you see on screen is in many ways a character, brilliantly played by one Jeremy Clarkson.

He knows exactly which buttons to press to illicit a reaction, and does it brilliantly. I well understand that he's not to everybody's taste, and I'm not defending some of his comments, but don't take everything you see on screen literally.

Mihai
10th November 2009, 13:18
Some pictures with JC, Hamster & May shooting in Romania:
http://forum.topgear.ro/index.php/topic,1112.msg25801.html#msg25801

In the final sequences of the Season 14 trailer, you can see the Lambo, Ferrari & Aston on the Transfagarasan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R135OMKjOlg

Daniel
10th November 2009, 14:18
series 10 was the peak i think (for you non-top gear nerds, thats the series where they go on the great driving roads in italy and switzerland and cross the channel in the toybota etc) hopefully top gear will be as good as it was then, even if it is still brilliant!

Have you only seen a couple of serieseses of Top Gear or something? There's no way that series was the best, not by a long shot.

555-04Q2
12th November 2009, 10:39
I agree, but you have to remember that the Clarkson you see on screen is in many ways a character, brilliantly played by one Jeremy Clarkson.

I beg to differ. If you meet the man face to face he is the same in "real life" as he is on television. Clarkson is Clarkson, there is no "character".

Sonic
12th November 2009, 16:04
Have you only seen a couple of serieseses of Top Gear or something? There's no way that series was the best, not by a long shot.

Top gears I have loved;

Top Gear 60 years ago. Great to see Jeremy loose and get dirty to boot.

Crossing the channel - Funniest thing I've ever seen

Limos - that MGF of hamsters. Utter genius!

10K supercars - BOOM!

Bus racing at Lydden Hill

Car football - both times

Long live top gear!

Mark
12th November 2009, 17:23
The races have been some of the best. The one to Switerland being a highlight.

Langdale Forest
13th November 2009, 07:42
The race to vietnam was the best

Dave B
13th November 2009, 08:11
I know there's some industrial-grade setups and editing in the races, but Clarkson's fall from his moped looked genuine enough!

Mark
13th November 2009, 08:28
The race to vietnam was the best

I don't know what it is about that one. Perhaps because when I originally saw it I was exceptionally tired and just wanted to go to bed, or what. But it didn't grab me in the same was as the American one did -- which btw, was the best one!

MrJan
13th November 2009, 08:56
I preferred the Vietnam one because it was somethign different and you felt it was more like 3 mates on a road trip. The US one was a setup start to finish, more than any other 'special' they've done.

AndyRAC
13th November 2009, 09:09
Bring back William Woollard and Tony Mason..........and Top Gear RallyReport........ ;)

Sonic
13th November 2009, 09:57
Oh and how could I forget;

"OLIVERRRRR!"

Also, The top gear boys re-tarmac a road and become farmers were brilliant.

Daniel
15th November 2009, 22:07
Some pictures with JC, Hamster & May shooting in Romania:
http://forum.topgear.ro/index.php/topic,1112.msg25801.html#msg25801

In the final sequences of the Season 14 trailer, you can see the Lambo, Ferrari & Aston on the Transfagarasan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R135OMKjOlg
Good recce :up:

UltimateDanGTR
16th November 2009, 16:53

id have to strongly disagree.

they crossed the channel
went to that great driving road
built a catarham
went to botswana
raced motorhomes with 'the touring car stars'
and various other things

as for last nights episdoe, that was great, amazing road in romania. and amazing tunnels underneath the peoples palace. and ferrari california is as pretty as the DB9 IMO. (delibratley DB9, not DBS) and thats some feat!

in fact, im off to google earth now to find that epic road! and then im going to implore Ioan goes there-its in his country after all!

Dave B
16th November 2009, 17:12
in fact, im off to google earth now to find that epic road! and then im going to implore Ioan goes there-its in his country after all!

You might find these useful :D

http://stable.toolserver.org/geohack/geohack.php?pagename=Transf%C4%83g%C4%83r%C4%83%C5 %9Fan&params=45_35_25.14_N_24_37_42.35_E_

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=45.590317,24.628431&spn=0.3,0.3&t=h&q=45.590317,24.628431

ioan
16th November 2009, 19:35

Maybe next summer. ;)
I don't have holiday before that and also the road is closed most of the year.

Mihai
16th November 2009, 20:53
The Transfagarasan is oficially closed until June, although some drivers still travel on the icy tarmac. Last Sunday a Dacia on summer tires rolled 6 meters into a pit and the injured passengers were spotted by chance and eventually rescued. The road has a wild and mean beauty, so you better treat it with great respect. A lot of people, mainly military, died in the 70s during the construction of the road (some zilions of tons of dynamite being used to blast through the rock). Even if you don't believe in ghosts, the vast stretch of raw mountain and the almost permanent presence of thick fog (especially on the 1 km long tunnel on the very top of the road) is a bit mind boggling.

Last September I completed a back and forth trip on the Transfagarasan in a Mondeo. The report is in Romanian only, but go for the pics:
http://www.topgear.ro/blog/2009/09/transfug/

555-04Q2
17th November 2009, 09:49
Clarkson lives in Chipping Norton and I've bumped into hima few times (not a stalker btw) and he does seem alot different in person IMO. I have spoken to him whilst he's in full character on the Top Gear stand and he's in full flow talking about womens cars, and the state of Hammonds haircut etc, but I have to agree with Dave... Most of his on screen persona is based on an arrogant character... Great marketing really.. :)

I met JC & RH about a year ago and JC was just like his "on screen" persona. Brash, arrogant and full of opinions about everything! RH on the other hand was quite the ladies man and pretty quiet to be honest.

UltimateDanGTR
17th November 2009, 16:46
The Transfagarasan is oficially closed until June, although some drivers still travel on the icy tarmac. Last Sunday a Dacia on summer tires rolled 6 meters into a pit and the injured passengers were spotted by chance and eventually rescued. The road has a wild and mean beauty, so you better treat it with great respect. A lot of people, mainly military, died in the 70s during the construction of the road (some zilions of tons of dynamite being used to blast through the rock). Even if you don't believe in ghosts, the vast stretch of raw mountain and the almost permanent presence of thick fog (especially on the 1 km long tunnel on the very top of the road) is a bit mind boggling.

Last September I completed a back and forth trip on the Transfagarasan in a Mondeo. The report is in Romanian only, but go for the pics:
http://www.topgear.ro/blog/2009/09/transfug/

nice, lucky you. maybe i will visit there one day, via stelvio etc and those great roads in italy and switzerland!

and top gear said about 40 people were killed in the construction. ;)

the road looks dangerous as well, no barriers i noticed! and it looks fantastic on google maps!

Mihai
17th November 2009, 20:05
Nope, I'm lucky for this : http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/orn/00.gif

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/2628/picture169640x480.jpg

gloomyDAY
17th November 2009, 21:01
God Hammond looks like a right plum :p Translation?

555-04Q2
18th November 2009, 11:49
Where did you meet him btw?

The Top Gear MPH show held every year at the Coca Cola Dome in Johannesburg.

Brown, Jon Brow
18th November 2009, 12:03
Translation?

He looks like a burke

Mark in Oshawa
21st November 2009, 03:17
Hammond looks like he just enhaled one heck of a joint...lol

wedge
23rd November 2009, 23:30
I now love Romanians. Especially Ioan!

Terrific pictures Mihai on your report. I feel like driving to Scotland again (when the weather's better again obviously).

Obviously its 'lets do 'something stupid just to provoke a reaction' but anyone else find the supposed hilarious set ups not so hilarious anymore?

MrJan
24th November 2009, 08:49
Obviously its 'lets do 'something stupid just to provoke a reaction' but anyone else find the supposed hilarious set ups not so hilarious anymore?

:up: and I'm really tiring of the car horns in the background, like in the electric car one the other day. It's just as bad as a sitcom having canned laughter IMO

Bezza
24th November 2009, 09:30
I thought the electric car episode was excellent. In particular the slow motion crash test!

wedge
24th November 2009, 23:39
In particular the slow motion crash test!

That was the only thing that had me in stitches in a long, long while.

The dual carriageway stunt I found blatantly unfunny.

Saying that, here's the Autocar review:

WfNfwNWWphI

Langdale Forest
25th November 2009, 21:40
I cannot belive clarkson has not yet commented on 'invisible' cars.

Mark
26th November 2009, 11:49
Knowing how these things are put together; it's rather obvious that the car didn't crash into a tree and then be rebuilt. It was crashed into the tree at the end of filming..

Sonic
26th November 2009, 12:27
Next you'll be making wild claims that WWE isn't real mark! ;)

Yeah I have to say some of TG is becoming a bit too formulaic. But let's be fair, bellow par TG is still better than most other rubbish on TV. Plus they still have moments of genius; the slow motion crash test was brilliant.

I'd like another building challenge - maybe build you own tank or james bond style submarine lotus for 1000 pounds. I'm sure they could do something funny with that.

UltimateDanGTR
26th November 2009, 16:18
That was the only thing that had me in stitches in a long, long while.

The dual carriageway stunt I found blatantly unfunny.

agreed. for a while i was in stitches just looking at their creation!

but the dual carriageway thing wasnt funny, it was blatantly delibrate and stupid. wasnt sure about the car 'accidently' rolling down the hill either, very 'staged' me thinks.

but genuinly funny all round, fantastic 'slow mo crash' and loved the reversed slammer thing-fantastic1 Hammond; 'Tuo kooooool!' :D

UltimateDanGTR
26th November 2009, 16:19
Nope, I'm lucky for this : http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/orn/00.gif

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/2628/picture169640x480.jpg

my my hammond, what hav you done to your hair? :p :

Langdale Forest
26th November 2009, 22:06
He looks like a gypsy.

555-04Q2
27th November 2009, 14:41
In that case I'll maintain my view from my earlier post when I said talking to him on the stand of a show and bumping into him in public, you realise that his arrogant persona is mostly an act..I had a drink with him years ago in the Mason's Arms between Chipping Norton and Banbury, and he was a great laugh. I also bumped into him in an aisle in Sainsbury's but thats another story. :p

With the help of a few contacts of mine, I was fortunate to meet him after the MPH show where he was full of %$#^ just like on TV, the show, in a space shuttle to mars etc.

Bezza
21st December 2009, 11:21
Jenson Button on last night.

Another excellent episode. This series has been excellent so far, with two episodes to go. :up:

Bolivia special next week, and then Brundle & Coulthard the week after :) Can't wait.

Mark
21st December 2009, 11:28
Button was good, But overall a poor episode IMO.

The road trip episode next week should be good, they always are!

Sonic
21st December 2009, 12:20
Button was good, But overall a poor episode IMO.

The road trip episode next week should be good, they always are!

As long as its not too forced. The USA trip from florida was poor.

I'd like to see a Top Gear "round the world special". The boys are given a set budget to buy a car AND purchase transportation across oceans etc. It could be a whole TG series and alonf the way they get to test drive new models from whichever country they are in.

Ace!

BeansBeansBeans
21st December 2009, 12:33

I'd like to see a Top Gear "round the world special". The boys are given a set budget to buy a car AND purchase transportation across oceans etc. It could be a whole TG series and alonf the way they get to test drive new models from whichever country they are in.

Ace!

I think the three of them should have to drive from London to the Nurburgring in a G-Wiz then set a lap.

Sonic
21st December 2009, 12:45
I think the three of them should have to drive from London to the Nurburgring in a G-Wiz then set a lap.

PML! That would be frikin' awesome!

wedge
21st December 2009, 13:33
Top Gear has gone downhill

They might as well remake 3 Men in a Boat or Wind in the Willows or stick them in Last of the Summer

What happened to Fifth Gear? Would've thought there'd be another series by now.

Brown, Jon Brow
21st December 2009, 13:34
Fifth Gear got dropped didn't it?

Bezza
21st December 2009, 13:51
Top Gear is still class, absolute class. I think this series has been one of the best for ages, with the mandatory epic yet to feature (Bolivia next week). I thought last series was fairly average actually but this one has brought them right back with aplomb.

306 Cosworth
21st December 2009, 15:07
Can't say I enjoyed last nights episode that much, looking forward to next weeks special episode though. Apparently there best challenge ever!

Mark in Oshawa
21st December 2009, 16:44

Ace!

I keep waiting for them to come to Canada. I think the boys should enter the Targa Newfoundland. The people there would give Jeremy ENDLESS lines to turn into some great comedy.

Mark
22nd December 2009, 10:43
I keep waiting for them to come to Canada. I think the boys should enter the Targa Newfoundland. The people there would give Jeremy ENDLESS lines to turn into some great comedy.

They've been to Canada!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear:_Polar_Special

Dave B
22nd December 2009, 11:55
There are some candid comments from producer Andy Wilman on this Guardian blog:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/organgrinder/2009/dec/22/top-gear

He admits that this series is somewhat sub-standard, and hints that TG is "nearer the end than the beginning" in its current form.

wedge
22nd December 2009, 13:49
He admits that this series is somewhat sub-standard, and hints that TG is "nearer the end than the beginning" in its current form.

Hopefully it means they'll stop/less likely play caricatures of themselves, mates having a laugh rather than pretending to be idiots to get cheap laughs.

Sonic
22nd December 2009, 14:41
Yup, that's how it read to me too. TG is at its very best when it doesn't seem scripted.

Francis44
4th January 2010, 12:07
Well, im sure most of you remeber the old Top Gear. It was a car show.

Nowadays the new version, which started 2002, left the car review formula to a more entertainment programme around the car world and I understand why they did it. The average person dosen't really care if a car is faster, if it has more space than the old model, etc...

But after seeing that last "Bolivia" episode I couldn't really "buy" what they were doing, I mean, the part were they cut the trees was nonsense and totally useless and avoidable, I know it were just 2 trees, but now some may think cutting trees is an part of an adventure. Then we have the snake in the car, the Clarkson cross with a car which some think was production, and the totally staged Hammond car fall. After all those episodes I tend to think Top Gear is no more a credible show, it was before, just a bit but it was, now I just think it's a show directed to Kids and Teenagers which it's fine, but after all, some old fans I think are dropping the show. Recent ratings show that week after week it looses audience. I wish they can go around the problem and continue with the show but please dont think we are that stupid.

Thoughts????

Dave B
4th January 2010, 12:11
Already being done to death here:
http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127767

Yes there's "fakery" but it's an entertainment show. I heard a rumour that the inhabitants of Albert Square are actually actors, payed to portray east-end types despite not actually living there - what with it merely being a set in a TV film lot.

Francis44
4th January 2010, 12:15
Already being done to death here:
http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127767

Yes there's "fakery" but it's an entertainment show. I heard a rumour that the inhabitants of Albert Square are actually actors, payed to portray east-end types despite not actually living there - what with it merely being a set in a TV film lot.

Oh sorry didn't noticed.

Please if a mod see's this delete it.