PDA

View Full Version : Prodrive/ Aston Martin: Overall Victory Wanted...

AndyRAC
15th June 2008, 17:06
Having been listening to the excellent Radio Le Mans, it was interesting to hear them report that in the words of Dave Richards - Prodrive/Aston Martin want an outright win. So the question is, what with? Seeing as the way to go is Diesel, will we see a Diesel Aston Martin? Interesting I think.

Sleeper
15th June 2008, 17:56
The ACO have finally acknowledged that the diesels have an unfair advantage over petrol cars and might just start limiting them, at bloody last. If that happens, to the 3:30s that the ACO have said they wanted the P1 cars to run at, then that puts them right in the clutches of Lola, Dome, ORECA and Pescarolo.

The sooner the better if you ask me.

SEATFreak
15th June 2008, 19:37
Prodrive/Aston Martin want an outright win. So the question is, what with?

With hard work, that's what! :D

I am a fan of Aston Martin-Prodrive. Not just because they have Darren Turner. But I am also a fan of Prodrive and I even once on the BTCC forum expressed a wish for Prodrive to take over from NorthernSouth with NS still running the SEAT Cupras.

And as much as I am sad that again the outright win went to a P1 car, as very strong as they are, I believe Aston and Prodrive have a very decent car that just needs work. They don't, I believe, need diesel. Not so much because the ACO would likely start limiting them as Sleeper said. But because of the improvements they appear to be making. Was it 4th last year in the class? To go from 4th in class one year to winning the next I think is a very big stride which shows for me how good Prodrive are.

Iain
15th June 2008, 23:49
GT1 cars will not win the race outright SEATFreak - not unless they all crash out or get disqualified. :p :

call_me_andrew
16th June 2008, 03:15
Well at the end of the race, SPEED's commentators were discussing that Puegot was only planning on making this a two year operation and Audi is considering a switch to GT.

This makes me wonder if there will be diesels at Le Mans next year. This makes me wonder if a system of two prototypes is long for this world.

harvick#1
16th June 2008, 05:52
it will be a great shame if Peugeot and Audi do not come back to P1 next year. personally, I don't believe this is gonna happen, they will both be back next season.

plus, IMO, they are talking about the Charouz/Lola/Aston Martin. Mucke and Charouz were running very fast when the rain hit, they were averaging around a 4m 6s laps, those were very respectable compared to the Peugeot and Audi in the rain. it will be very interesting next year with all the rule changes.

SEATFreak
16th June 2008, 08:56
GT1 cars will not win the race outright SEATFreak - not unless they all crash out or get disqualified.

How come? What are the rules regarding Le Mans? I am afrer all brand harry spankers to Le Mans so you cannot blame me for being a little thick on the matter. :p :

harvick#1
16th June 2008, 15:46
GT1 cars are basically production based based cars that have racing upgrades, Prototypes are non-production based cars that are built to be as aerodynamic as possible.

the GT1 cars ran about 20 seconds a lap slower or maybe more than the P1 cars. the closest the GT1 class got was in 2006 when Corvette took 4th overall after attrition.

the GT1 class won overall in 1998, but that was a different time in rules and regulations (the GT1 class was the prefered class), the cars that were in the class was the Porsche 911 GT1, Nissan R390 GT1, and Toyota TS020 GT1, and the protype field was not as strong as it is today.

Sleeper
16th June 2008, 17:56
GT1 cars are basically production based based cars that have racing upgrades, Prototypes are non-production based cars that are built to be as aerodynamic as possible.

the GT1 cars ran about 20 seconds a lap slower or maybe more than the P1 cars. the closest the GT1 class got was in 2006 when Corvette took 4th overall after attrition.

the GT1 class won overall in 1998, but that was a different time in rules and regulations (the GT1 class was the prefered class), the cars that were in the class was the Porsche 911 GT1, Nissan R390 GT1, and Toyota TS020 GT1, and the protype field was not as strong as it is today.
Dont confuse the GT1 class of the late 90's with the current class. GT1 became GTP in 2000 when all the class names were changed (becoming LMP900, LMP675, GTP (no supporters there except for Bentley since 2000), GT2 and GT3. In 2004/5 LMP900 and GTP were consolidated into LMP1, 675 became LMP2, GT2 became GT1 and GT3 became GT2 (which is why Porsche's 911 GT3 runs in GT2).

GT cars are heavily modified production cars where the prototypes have more in common with formula 1.

V12
17th June 2008, 16:11
Yeah, cars like the Peugeot 908 and the Lola and Epsilon coupes are closer to being descendants of the late 90s "GT1" cars than the Astons and Corvettes of today.

Back on topic, I'd *love* to see a factory Aston Martin prototype, but I get the gut feeling it won't happen...

MrJan
17th June 2008, 16:40
How come? What are the rules regarding Le Mans? I am afrer all brand harry spankers to Le Mans so you cannot blame me for being a little thick on the matter. :p :

Just have a look at the result, the first GT1 was 13th. GT cars have to be at least based on road cars and as such will never be as fast as Prototypes (LMP1 & 2) because they have stricter regulations. Even if ACO (the organising body for Le Mans) restrict the turbo sizes of diesels to drop the lap times back below 3:30 (a safety issue) then the 3:49 fastest lap is still well adrift.

Add to this ACO also restricting GT1 (I believe that when Aston rejoined Le Mans a few years back they were doing 3:43s or the like).

Think of it in respect to when the BTCC ran the production class a few years ago and you won't be far off the way it works in sportscars.

Oh and if anything is wrong with what I posted then I'm here to be corrected. My sportscar knowledge is pretty much limited to Le Mans, and I'm not overly familiar with that.

Sleeper
17th June 2008, 17:56
Yeah, cars like the Peugeot 908 and the Lola and Epsilon coupes are closer to being descendants of the late 90s "GT1" cars than the Astons and Corvettes of today.

Back on topic, I'd *love* to see a factory Aston Martin prototype, but I get the gut feeling it won't happen...

The current P1 coupes are direct descendants of the old GT1 cars, the Bentley EXP Speed 8 was designed to the same rules as the 911 GT1 that won in 98 (the first Bentley back was designed around the Audi R8C of 99) and the current coupe's only have a change in the aero rules to stop them flipping (worked well hasnt it?).

That Lola Aston is pretty close to being a wroks car anyway, what with it being run by Prodrive and the whole thing being set up by David Richards.

mnop901
29th July 2008, 21:38
The more you learn, the more you know, The more you know, the more you forget. The more you forget, the less you know. So why bother to learn. ________wow gold for sale (http://www.wowgold1000.com/wow-gold-for-sale.htm) gold for wow (http://www.wowgold1000.com/gold-for-wow.html) sell wow gold (http://www.wowgold1000.com/sell-wow-gold.html) aoc gold (http://www.wowgold1000.com/aoc-gold.html) aoc gold (http://www.wowgold800.com/buy-aoc-gold.html) form http://www.wowgold800.com