PDA

View Full Version : Iowa race in danger?

geek49203
15th June 2008, 03:26
While the Iowa Speedway website claims that the show must go on (below), IMHO there are good reasons to doubt that the event will happen.

Newton Iowa is only about 70 miles from Cedar Rapids, where some 1300 city blocks are under water. Thirty miles the other way on I-80, a levee failed in Des Moines this morning, causing the evacuation of 270 homes. Parts of I-80 are currently closed due to high water.

Newton itself is not flooded, but no doubt emergency crews that are scheduled for use at Newton are busy attending to the needs of the flooded areas. In addition, hotel rooms will probably be full with displaced families as well as rescue workers.

In a similar situation, NASCAR postponed the 1998 Pepsi 400 due to fires, not because the fires threatened the Daytona area, but because of the need for emergency personnel to fight the fire, as well as highways being closed due to smoke.

From IowaSpeedway.com:

Iowa’s flooding disaster is not directly affecting scheduled events for the IndyCar Series weekend, June 20-22, at Iowa Speedway. The facility has immediate access to I-80 and is located on elevated ground near an adjacent airport. Racing fans who plan to attend the Iowa Corn Indy 250, especially those out-of-state, are encouraged to proceed with plans to attend the event.

!!WALDO!!
15th June 2008, 03:29
While the Iowa Speedway website claims that the show must go on (below), IMHO there are good reasons to doubt that the event will happen.

Newton Iowa is only about 70 miles from Cedar Rapids, where some 1300 city blocks are under water. Thirty miles the other way on I-80, a levee failed in Des Moines this morning, causing the evacuation of 270 homes. Parts of I-80 are currently closed due to high water.

Newton itself is not flooded, but no doubt emergency crews that are scheduled for use at Newton are busy attending to the needs of the flooded areas. In addition, hotel rooms will probably be full with displaced families as well as rescue workers.

In a similar situation, NASCAR postponed the 1998 Pepsi 400 due to fires, not because the fires threatened the Daytona area, but because of the need for emergency personnel to fight the fire, as well as highways being closed due to smoke.

From IowaSpeedway.com:

Iowa’s flooding disaster is not directly affecting scheduled events for the IndyCar Series weekend, June 20-22, at Iowa Speedway. The facility has immediate access to I-80 and is located on elevated ground near an adjacent airport. Racing fans who plan to attend the Iowa Corn Indy 250, especially those out-of-state, are encouraged to proceed with plans to attend the event.

Thinking the same but worry also about all those downstream of this as it heads to the Gulf.

Hoss Ghoul
19th June 2008, 16:33
Filling 30K seats shouldn't be a problem, even in the midwest wastelands...no disrespect intended.

Saw a headline earlier that the IRL would be donating some cash to relief efforts.

What was the last race cancelled, anyone remember? I recall the CART race at Fontana being cancelled due to wildfires. CART at Texas for competition reasons...nothing for 9/11...anyone else?

EDIT: Scratch that, New Hampshire was cancelled due to 9/11 for NASCAR, made up Thanksgiving weekend(doubt they would with the Chase, nowadays)...first race after was at Dover with Dale Earnhardt Jr. winning.

PA Rick
21st June 2008, 01:39
[quote="Hoss Ghoul"]What was the last race cancelled, anyone remember? I recall the CART race at Fontana being cancelled due to wildfires. CART at Texas for competition QUOTE]

The CART Nazareth race in April of 2000 was snowed out and they ran it the day before the Indy 500. 1300 miles of driving to see 725 miles of racing!

!!WALDO!!
21st June 2008, 03:35
Listening to Knoxville, ASCS and King of Doodlebug Midgets.

www.kniakrls.com (http://www.kniakrls.com)

Radio Plus