PDA

View Full Version : New SC Proposals Trial for French GP

wedge
13th June 2008, 14:41
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=42986

Sounds like a crap idea.

Why don't they just copy Indycars and let them refuel and not allow tyre changes when the pits are 'closed'.

Mark
13th June 2008, 14:45
Far too complicated. Why not just so a similar thing whereby the same 5 second warning is given and then the cars must engage their pit lane speed limiters. Much simpler!

grantb4
13th June 2008, 15:06
Give them a secondary "pit lane speed limiter" (or use the existing one). It must be engaged as soon as the SC comes out and not released until the track is clear...

ArrowsFA1
13th June 2008, 15:12
Why not just ban refuelling entirely. No worries about running out of fuel during SC periods then :D

Daniel
13th June 2008, 16:17
Why not just ban refuelling entirely. No worries about running out of fuel during SC periods then :D

You should apply for a job at the FIA ;) They love people who can think of ideas like that which make no real sense. Oh and yes I know you're joking :)

wmcot
14th June 2008, 09:11
Far too complicated. Why not just so a similar thing whereby the same 5 second warning is given and then the cars must engage their pit lane speed limiters. Much simpler!

I'm sure that given the standard ECU, it could be set up so that Charlie Whiting could give a 5 second warning and then hit a button and remotely engage all pitlane speed limiters simultaneously. You would have the worry that the car behind might have an error and not receive the signal...

SGWilko
14th June 2008, 10:52
You should apply for a job at the FIA ;) They love people who can think of ideas like that which make no real sense. Oh and yes I know you're joking :)

Why does that make no sense? In an age when new oil discoveries are few and far between (and the reality of dwindling supplies unable to meet demand is hitting home), and costs are rocketing, the onus in an F1 where one tankfull must last the race would lie on fuel economy and drivers managing their fuel consumption.

Daniel
14th June 2008, 10:57
Why does that make no sense? In an age when new oil discoveries are few and far between (and the reality of dwindling supplies unable to meet demand is hitting home), and costs are rocketing, the onus in an F1 where one tankfull must last the race would lie on fuel economy and drivers managing their fuel consumption.

I somehow think that wasn't what Arrows was meaning :)

BDunnell
14th June 2008, 11:30
Far too complicated. Anything that needs time to explain is too complicated for F1. Why not just allow all drivers to pit and refuel when they want, whether behind the SC or not?

MrJan
14th June 2008, 11:48
I think the current system is good in principle as it prevents the mad rush but penalises some people too much. As the teams all know when they'll be pitting before the race they should have to inform the FIA (or whoever) what lap they'll be coming in (or a 3 lap window). This way if a SC gets thrown when they have no fuel they should still be able to pit as long as the driver is listed as requiring a pit stop.

The only problem with this would be when a car is refueled or stays out for SC periods thus changing the lap they'll need to pit.

CNR
14th June 2008, 13:18
this is a total load of BS :rolleyes:
http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=86803

instead of finding the pitlane closed, drivers will now be required to record a minimum lap time for the first tour after deployment of the SC.
They then have five seconds to press a confirm button to show that they've seen the signal and from that stage onwards they're governed by the target lap time. That will ensure that all the cars go at a relatively slow speed," Nielsen told the team's official podcast.

will lewis see it in five seconds

ShiftingGears
15th June 2008, 06:54
For the majority of incidents on circuit, safety cars are unnecessary.

Bruce D
15th June 2008, 08:11
will lewis see it in five seconds

Well yeah good point - this after all the same team that couldn't inform Montoya about a red light in Canada '05, so clearly McLaren have a problem with lights.

Reading this idea makes me laugh because these same cry-babies don't want a ban on tyre warmers for next year cos the speed difference between guys on warm tyres and guys on cold tyres is "dangerous", but now they want system where you are relying on the driver seeing a little flashing light on their dashboard - some will slow down quickly and others won't so, causing a far more dangerous situation IMO. The Indycar system works well, seen as you had to copy the idea in the first place why not copy the whole bloody thing!?

ArrowsFA1
16th June 2008, 09:13
I was serious. I've been against refuelling for a long time because it doesn't add anything to the race, and if anything has been the biggest contributor to complications in the sport; in particular the mess that has been made of qualifying, but also drivers being penalised for pitting under the SC when they're out of fuel. Qualifying should be about who is the fastest, not about who can get the best grid position with a good strategic load of fuel.

If race pitstops have to stay then tyre changes are enough.

Daniel
16th June 2008, 09:18
I was serious. I've been against refuelling for a long time because it doesn't add anything to the race, and if anything has been the biggest contributor to complications in the sport; in particular the mess that has been made of qualifying, but also drivers being penalised for pitting under the SC when they're out of fuel. Qualifying should be about who is the fastest, not about who can get the best grid position with a good strategic load of fuel.

*cleans egg off face* :uhoh:

:p

Personally I like fuel strategy :)

racer69
16th June 2008, 09:30

Agree completely. The racing (and the passing) should be done on the race track, not in the bloody pits.

leopard
16th June 2008, 09:55
I heard that some drivers never pay attention to traffic light at pit exit.
This proposed new rule wouldn't be complicated as long as it is properly socialized to drivers, and they understand it. :)

Knock-on
16th June 2008, 11:42

Was it brought in under some sort of safety umbrella to stop the cars taking too much fuel?

There have been many, many more accidents due to refuelling than what occurred before.

MAX_THRUST
16th June 2008, 12:04
Keep it as simple as it can be. Not everyone is gonna get stiched up by the safety car coming out.

Your more likely to benefit from a safety car than loose out. The leader in theory is the only one who looses out.

If you change your fuel strategy its your decision. The only thing wrong with the current system is the light at the end of the pitt lane. This is the top flight of motorsport, not a drive through a busy shopping centre.

aryan
16th June 2008, 12:11
Was it brought in under some sort of safety umbrella to stop the cars taking too much fuel?

No, it was brought in to increase overtaking moves in F1 (lighter cars overtaking heavier ones).

Obviously, no one could envision the "fuel strategies" that would develop, and that people would prefer passing in the stops to overtaking on the track.

I'm all with ArrowsF1 here, fuel stops are boring, add nothing to the race, and should be scrapped.

Alas... I don't see that happening now...

wedge
21st June 2008, 15:47
Mixed reactions so far. I'm surprised Kimi gave it the thumbs up.

http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=43058

LiamM
21st June 2008, 17:30
How about a slight adjustment to the current system, where you can pit if you need to while the safety car is out, but you have to prove you needed to fill up, if you cant - 10 second penalty. Then everyone can pit as soon as everyone is behind the safety car

anthonyvop
21st June 2008, 17:59
You do realize that for the Majority of F-1's history refueling was not common. In fact for most of the time if a driver came in to re-fuel it meant his race was all but over.