PDA

View Full Version : BBC take-over...

SparkyKate
13th June 2008, 03:14
...this might have been covered before, but does anyone know if BBC is taking the ITV commentators on for 2009 or getting in newbies?

CNR
13th June 2008, 04:12
a lot of talk about topgear

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/f1/news/163620-0/itv-f1_team_to_be_axed_in_bbc_switch.html

Rumours persist that BBC's hugely popular Top Gear team – comprising Jeremy Clarkson, Richard ‘Hamster' Hammond and James May, as well as the infamous Stig – will play some kind of part in the shows, but there appears to be little room for any of ITV-F1 (http://www.crash.net/motorsport/f1/home/)'s current line-up of Rider, Martin Brundle, James Allen, Mark Blundell (http://www.crash.net/gpa/driver~driver_id~11613.htm), Louise Goodman and Ted Kravitz et al.

Valve Bounce
13th June 2008, 04:15
I've been tipping DC as the prime commentator and Martin as his sidekick. That would be a dream team.

ShiftingGears
13th June 2008, 07:14
I've been tipping DC as the prime commentator and Martin as his sidekick. That would be a dream team.

If he does leave F1 then I think that would be a pretty good line-up. DC is certainly quite lively and articulated in interviews.

call_me_andrew
13th June 2008, 07:44
It would be nice to have Top Gear covering races. It's so nice to see a show about cars that provides little accurate information getting more time to rot people's minds.

It's my understanding that ITV also provides commentary for Australia. Would BBC be taking that market too?

Azumanga Davo
13th June 2008, 10:29

Martin rubs his hands as:

A: He gets to change from "manager" to "agent", meaning he gets an extra 5% cut. :p :

B: He wouldn't have so much crashing action to commentate on, thus saving his voice for longer term. :D

Crazy Dave C rubs his hands as:

A. His insurance costs would lower in lieu of his new found ability to get a "no claim discount".

B. He can commentate three different shades of verbal s#$%. How handy.

What a win-win for all. :)

Mark
13th June 2008, 12:37
I think David Croft will almost certainly play a part, he's been on Radio 5 for years and would be a bit of an insult to him not to get him to play a part in the TV coverage, probably as main commentator.

As tradition dictates they have a main commentator and a driver expert, Martin Brundle would be excellent but he hasn't driven F1 for many years now, if DC does retire he would be excellent as a replacement for Martin, but somehow I can't quite see DC wanting the job, he's a bit too Monaco jet set to be a BBC commentator :p

My bet for the commentating roles are David Croft and Martin Brundle.

Not sure about the Top Gear lot getting involved tbh. After all they are concerned with motoring, not motorsport. If they are it will likely be Hammond and May, not Clarkson, and even then they would likely be 'colour reporters' rather than commentators.

MrJan
13th June 2008, 12:39
I hope that Brundle stays actually. He's measured and knows what he's on about. I think DC would be a bit too monotone and I'd just not pay attention.

Top Gear is a terrible idea as both Clarkson and May don't like the sport, JC spends ages moaning about how dull it all gets.

Knock-on
13th June 2008, 13:04
I hope that Brundle stays actually. He's measured and knows what he's on about. I think DC would be a bit too monotone and I'd just not pay attention.

Top Gear is a terrible idea as both Clarkson and May don't like the sport, JC spends ages moaning about how dull it all gets.

Oh, I don't know.

You could have Hamster crashing a Ferrari at 200mph, James may moaning about how terribly loud it all is and Clarkson on the pit lane walk around:

"Ahh, there's Bernie. Hey Bernie, what a crock of sh1t without all this avertaking. Sort it out eh"

"Max, Max, fancy a party later. You bring the hookers and I'll get the whips. Max, where you going....."

555-04Q2
13th June 2008, 13:25
"Max, Max, fancy a party later. You bring the hookers and I'll get the whips. Max, where you going....."

....."to fetch the hookers!" :D

Dave B
13th June 2008, 13:38
Clarkson's on record as saying that if Hammond took over we'd all be praying for the return of James Allen! I honestly can't see any of the TG team doing it, although I wouldn't rule out some F1-themes Top Gear specials.

I'm hoping for the excellent Ben Edwards; but my money's on the David Croft and Martin Brundle, with DC providing analysis and Holly Samos doing the pitlane interviews.

I think I might be getting Sky HD next year :D

ArrowsFA1
13th June 2008, 13:42
Not sure about the Top Gear lot getting involved tbh. After all they are concerned with motoring, not motorsport.
Well, the FIA does ok covering both...doesn't it? :p

Mark
13th June 2008, 13:43
I wouldn't rule out the occasional guest appearance from Murray Walker, although not as a commentator.

Every time I see the silly Sony advert breakers I think "We'll be rid of all this rubbish next year!! :D :D :bounce:

Knock-on
13th June 2008, 14:28
I wouldn't rule out the occasional guest appearance from Murray Walker, although not as a commentator.

Every time I see the silly Sony advert breakers I think "We'll be rid of all this rubbish next year!! :D :D :bounce:

Mark my old son, never have we been so much in agreement :D

Dave B
13th June 2008, 14:50
At least they've ditched Can I Play With Magnets / Magners / Maggots, which is a start.

clavius85
13th June 2008, 14:51
Here in the US I'm not a fan of Speed's coverage so I download the ITV broadcasts. Mainly because of Brundle. But also because of all the interviews that ITV has access to unlike Speed. I hope the BBC keeps Brundle, he's a real class act. James Allen on the other hand... :p

Azumanga Davo
13th June 2008, 15:40
I think David Croft will almost certainly play a part...

Just a sec. Is that the same DC that wrote such legendary lines like 'stupid boy, Pike" and "fallen Madonna with the big you know whats"?

inimitablestoo
13th June 2008, 16:01
It's my understanding that ITV also provides commentary for Australia. Would BBC be taking that market too?
They almost certainly will, because the BBC used to cover them last time around! And a few other markets, if I'm right.

From what I've heard, it's possible the Top Gear lads might be responsible for a Friday pre-race show, or maybe just even a pre-season show, but they will be kept away from anything important like the races. It'd be a shame if they didn't take any of the ITV people - Martin Brundle, I'm led to believe, works on a freelance basis anyway - but I did wonder if David Croft's GP2 commentaries this year are being used as a way of getting him some TV experience prior to next year... After all Simon Taylor did F3000 and ITC commentary for ITV (some regions, not mine sadly) while he was still the BBC radio man.

Mind you, I pay my licence fee - I demand I be given a chance to present! :D

millencolin
13th June 2008, 16:11

Yeah i would think so. We always get the british tv commentary feed (except for the Australian Gp sometimes)

If James Allen does cross the divide, then I hope for the love of god we dont get the BBC feed. But, i'd give a completely new lineup a go... well, any Allen free lineup for that matter

But hey, the ITV guys are better than the ESPN indycar guys

Nikki Katz
13th June 2008, 18:14
I think that Croft's near certain. I've also got a hunch that the second person will be Coulthard. Just as long as it isn't that Cox guy off MotoGP.
The Top Gear rumour is silly. Hammond doesn't even like F1. I like the show but Clarkson would really annoy me commentating a race, he'd just get in the way of it.

call_me_andrew
14th June 2008, 02:27
But hey, the ITV guys are better than the ESPN indycar guys

Well you're setting the bar pretty low.

Daniel
14th June 2008, 08:07
I'm hoping for Charlie Cox :D Suzi Perry would be a good pit lane reporter as well methinks.

BDunnell
14th June 2008, 10:28
It'd be a shame if they didn't take any of the ITV people - Martin Brundle, I'm led to believe, works on a freelance basis anyway...

So do most sports commentators. There are very few who are actually on the staff of the broadcaster they work for.

MrJan
14th June 2008, 10:59
I think that Croft's near certain. I've also got a hunch that the second person will be Coulthard. Just as long as it isn't that Cox guy off MotoGP.
The Top Gear rumour is silly. Hammond doesn't even like F1. I like the show but Clarkson would really annoy me commentating a race, he'd just get in the way of it.

Charlie Cox is one of the best commentators ever!! "Nightmare in a bubble car". But I don't think he'd be right for F1 despite all his experience in tin-tops.

At least they've ditched Can I Play With Magnets / Magners / Maggots, which is a start

Damn straight. Drives me absolutely mad to the extent that I shout at the TV every time it's on. And why is their a chuffing poodle on it? When did that seem like a good idea to aim at the F1 market? Stupid advert just trying to be 'crazy' and 'wacky' but it just bites the big one instead.

Azumanga Davo
14th June 2008, 13:55
Oh, one more name for the Beeb 'Don't Even Think About It' list along with James Allen and Gary Glitter:

Beverly Turner

If anyone had half a brain in the Board of Directors they would listen very carefully to that advice. ;)

Marshall
14th June 2008, 14:53
You won't get Charlie Cox - he's co-hosting Australian Top Gear

FIA
14th June 2008, 22:53
What about poor old Steve Rider, he joing ITV after 10 years away from F1, and will probably have to miss another 10 years.

BDunnell
14th June 2008, 22:55
What about poor old Steve Rider, he joing ITV after 10 years away from F1, and will probably have to miss another 10 years.

The BBC really should get him back to do both F1 and golf. Mind you, while I've never thought of him as much of a football man, he is clearly being used by ITV an increasing amount as their football anchor, and that work is only going to increase when their FA Cup and England coverage begins.

AndyRAC
15th June 2008, 00:23
I'm hoping for Charlie Cox :D Suzi Perry would be a good pit lane reporter as well methinks.

Suzi is a bike girl, and doesn't particularly care for F1 from what I've heard. And who can blame her - why swap from Moto GP to F1.

If anything keep the Moto GP coverage as it is- in fact increase it and advertise it. It's as if it is a secret.

Daniel
15th June 2008, 06:51
Suzi is a bike girl, and doesn't particularly care for F1 from what I've heard. And who can blame her - why swap from Moto GP to F1.

If anything keep the Moto GP coverage as it is- in fact increase it and advertise it. It's as if it is a secret.
This is not about what Suzi likes :p It's about what we want :p

Nikki Katz
15th June 2008, 19:35
Actually Coulthard's manager is Martin Brundle isn't it? Thinking again perhaps he's a little unlikely!

gravity
15th June 2008, 21:29
In South Africa, we get the ITV commentary. In the old days, Murray Walker used to be as entertaining as the race. Used to be a game in itself... spot the mistakes! And poor of Murray would go and repeat the same excitement on the replay, "Oh no! He's off again!"

James and Martin are just as guilty as Murray was when they all report on the British drivers 'till it makes the viewers turn on them (the drivers). Quali 1/2 has become the "Will DC make it?" Never mind that there are another 20 odd cars on the track. Button was their hero for some time before Lewis arrived. "Alonso leads two seconds over Schumacher and Button in fifth"
Do they even realise how ridiculous they sound?

I'd like to hear a new voice in the ITV crowd, and preferably someone who is not British.

Daniel
15th June 2008, 21:32
In South Africa, we get the ITV commentary. In the old days, Murray Walker used to be as entertaining as the race. Used to be a game in itself... spot the mistakes! And poor of Murray would go and repeat the same excitement on the replay, "Oh no! He's off again!"

James and Martin are just as guilty as Murray was when they all report on the British drivers 'till it makes the viewers turn on them (the drivers). Quali 1/2 has become the "Will DC make it?" Never mind that there are another 20 odd cars on the track. Button was their hero for some time before Lewis arrived. "Alonso leads two seconds over Schumacher and Button in fifth"
Do they even realise how ridiculous they sound?

I'd like to hear a new voice in the ITV crowd, and preferably someone who is not British.
You think that's bad? Try watching the Rugby with ITV commentators.....

wedge
15th June 2008, 22:57
I'd rather someone a bit more serious. I can see why the MotoGP guys are put off by Parish and Cox, they have a bad habit - Cox especially - of going off tangent with their sense of humour and sometimes missing out on things.

Either David Croft or Ben Edwards paired up with Brundle.

I like Holly Samos on 5Live, Ted Kravitz grates me more than James Allen with his pit reports.

Mark Blundell is annoying with his analysis. Always states the bloody obvious. I'd much rather listen to Eddie Irvine if he's up for it - at least he has something interesting to say! Or even Eddie Jordan or John Watson.

Would love to see Steve Rider back. Can't think of anyone on the Beeb suitable to present F1.

aryan
15th June 2008, 23:31

It's not only Australia. The British feed has traditionaly been carried over in NewZealand, South Africa, and many other places (the former British Empire really, minus Canada).

I would think they will all follow the change and start carrying the Beeb feed, unless the Beeb plays really nasty with licensing costs etc., which I hope it doesn't.

Ranger
16th June 2008, 10:19

:D

I was watching the 1999 French Grand Prix on YouTube the other day, and I came across this gold from Murray:

<Camera cuts to 'rooster-tails' of spray coming off the back of Hakkinen's car in the wet>

Murray: "And look at the huge ROOSTERS coming off the back of Hakkinen!"

...unfortunately, anyone else who makes half those kind of mistakes or displays just as much transparent bias (towards British drivers) in their commentary is crucified for doing so.

I reckon the current commentary team is pretty good. (I must be the only person around here who says that!)

Daniel
16th June 2008, 10:20

I was watching the 1999 French Grand Prix on YouTube the other day, and I came across this gold from Murray:

<Camera cuts to 'rooster-tails' of spray coming off the back of Hakkinen's car in the wet>

Murray: "And look at the huge ROOSTERS coming off the back of Hakkinen!"

...unfortunately, anyone else who makes half those kind of mistakes or displays just as much transparent bias (towards British drivers) in their commentary is crucified for doing so.

I reckon the current commentary team is pretty good. (I must be the only person around here who says that!)
But Murray was likeable. James Allen is a clot. To put it nicely.

Knock-on
16th June 2008, 10:26

Charlie would be great. Superb commentator

MAX_THRUST
16th June 2008, 10:53
The fun choice would be the two blokes that do the V8 utes racing...

Seriously for me, it has to be
1)Ben Edwards

with :

2) Carlton Kirby (fun and serious)
3) Martin Havern ( Fun and serious)
4) Martin Brundle (Straight to the point)
5) Jonny Herbert if he is not racing (which he probably will)

As for pit lane people aslong as it isn't TEd (I'm ever so slightly arrogant whilst doing touring cars, but seemd to have calmed down a bit lately with the rude attitude) Cravits.

Louise Goodman, nice lady, don't like her much. Please no Susi Perry. Lets make Mark Blundell run up and down pitt lane, as he needs to loose some weight these days.

Best of all lets have a guest commentator each week, with the two regular commentators. This week it'll be Jeremy Clarkson. Next week Muddly talker, after that, All the other people who didn't get the job.....

wedge
16th June 2008, 12:32
The fun choice would be the two blokes that do the V8 utes racing...

Seriously for me, it has to be
1)Ben Edwards

with :

2) Carlton Kirby (fun and serious)
3) Martin Havern ( Fun and serious)
4) Martin Brundle (Straight to the point)
5) Jonny Herbert if he is not racing (which he probably will)

Sorry but Carlton Kirby makes James Allen look like a saint!

That guy sends me to sleep. :s nore:

THE_LIBERATOR
17th June 2008, 22:12
Can we get James Hunt cloned?

Sleeper
17th June 2008, 22:46
Sorry but Carlton Kirby makes James Allen look like a saint!

That guy sends me to sleep. :s nore:
Kirby's excellent, he worked very well with Mark Cole, Jermey Shaw and co at Le Mans at the weekend.

Thats a thought, Jeremy Shaw and Martin Brundle

Daniel
17th June 2008, 22:47
Kirby's excellent, he worked very well with Mark Cole, Jermey Shaw and co at Le Mans at the weekend.

Thats a thought, Jeremy Shaw and Martin Brundle
I also think Carlton Kirby is great :up: But I don't see him as the type of guy to do F1.

AndySpeed
17th June 2008, 23:03

No to Charlie, YES to Suzi!!

Charlie's good, but for an hour and a half live broadcast? You'd only end up being disappointed... and his interests probably don't lie in F1 anyway.

Daniel
17th June 2008, 23:04
No to Charlie, YES to Suzi!!

Charlie's good, but for an hour and a half live broadcast? You'd only end up being disappointed... and his interests probably don't lie in F1 anyway.
Come on.... just imagine Charlie commentating on the Hamilton-Raikkonen incident the other day ;)

AndySpeed
17th June 2008, 23:11
Come on.... just imagine Charlie commentating on the Hamilton-Raikkonen incident the other day ;)

Yes it would be good... and then the rest of the race?

wedge
18th June 2008, 12:36
Does Carlton still does DTM commentary on MotorsTV?

I used to find that dreadful apart from Tim Harvey.

The only time I can put up with Kirby is when he's doing LM with Mark Cole and Martin Haven, et al.

inimitablestoo
19th June 2008, 16:12
Was it Carlton who stood in for Ben Edwards during an A1GP commentary this season (Brno '07, I think)? Whoever it was gave the best commentary on the start of a motor race I've ever heard. Unfortunately, as I was watching Five's highlights programme rather than the full Sky broadcast I didn't get to find out who it was.

Mikeall
20th June 2008, 03:15
Maybe the BBC could go with one main commentators e.g. Ben Edwards, an ex driver like John Watson and different guest commentators every race.

SGWilko
20th June 2008, 12:23
Maybe the BBC could go with one main commentators e.g. Ben Edwards, an ex driver like John Watson and different guest commentators every race.

This isn't 'Have I Got News For You' you know.

And Wattie? No way, too boring.

Dave B
27th August 2008, 10:10
There's some interesting information on Digital Spy (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=27007413#post27007413) from someone claiming to work for BBC interactive.

If he's right, the choice of commentator has been narrowed down to David Croft, Ben Edwards and Jonathan Legard with an announcement expected in the next few weeks.

He also says that as well as live coverage on BBC1 (or BBC2 if another major event clashes) there'll be interactive streams showing on-boards, timing, and highlights. 3 additional streams on satellite and cable, 2 on Freeview.

All three practice sessions are to be shown, with 5 Live commentary when available.

It's all beginning to shape up nicely by the sound of things :D

MrJan
27th August 2008, 14:11
There's some interesting information on Digital Spy (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=27007413#post27007413) from someone claiming to work for BBC interactive.

If he's right, the choice of commentator has been narrowed down to David Croft, Ben Edwards and Jonathan Legard with an announcement expected in the next few weeks.

He also says that as well as live coverage on BBC1 (or BBC2 if another major event clashes) there'll be interactive streams showing on-boards, timing, and highlights. 3 additional streams on satellite and cable, 2 on Freeview.

All three practice sessions are to be shown, with 5 Live commentary when available.

It's all beginning to shape up nicely by the sound of things :D

No to Edwards, yes to the other two. I tend to find Edwards to get a bit tedious, even though he is a decent commentator, wheres Legard and Croft are both excellant :up:

Mark
27th August 2008, 16:38
I would imagine the main feed will be in HD too?

SteveA
28th August 2008, 10:05
I would imagine the main feed will be in HD too?

We can hope, but doesn't BE want more money for the HD feed?

Also, will we get all the Interactive stuff if its HD? There was no interactive on the Olympics via Freesat HD.

Dave B
28th August 2008, 10:10
Absolutely zero chance of the interactive streams being HD - there simply isn't the bandwith. As for the main broadcast, according to the poster on Digital Spy the BBC are ready for HD, it's just up to FOM to supply the feed.

Mark
28th August 2008, 10:13
I assumed the extra streams were what Bernie was talking about when he said the BBC had 'interesting plans'.

I would hope that on e.g. the live timing screen they would have picture in picture of the main feed and the audio. Because if you switch to the timing and then miss the race, what's the point :p

I do feel that the BBC is the right place for F1. ITV never seemed quite right.

555-04Q2
28th August 2008, 11:32
ITV never seemed quite right.

Understatement of the year :s hock:

wedge
28th August 2008, 11:50
I assumed the extra streams were what Bernie was talking about when he said the BBC had 'interesting plans'.

I would hope that on e.g. the live timing screen they would have picture in picture of the main feed and the audio. Because if you switch to the timing and then miss the race, what's the point :p

I do feel that the BBC is the right place for F1. ITV never seemed quite right.

Well if James Allen is with the Beeb then at least you can change it to FiveLive commentary with no hassle with digital TV.

turves
28th August 2008, 13:35

It all seems a bit of a wasted advertising campaign by Sony. Correct me if i'm worng, but I don't think ITV have an HD channel...

Dave B
28th August 2008, 14:27
It all seems a bit of a wasted advertising campaign by Sony. Correct me if i'm worng, but I don't think ITV have an HD channel...
Sort of. They do occasionally broadcast HD programmes via the red button on Freesat - but how many people do you know with Freesat?

I'm sure market pressures will force them to launch a proper HD channel sooner or later, certainly watching via satellite their SD picture quality is diabolical.

Mark
28th August 2008, 14:31
ITV are in somewhat of a finanical pickle at the moment, they are even thinking of handing back their analogue licence to the government in order to save money. Certainliy I don't think 'quality' is top of ITV's list right now.

MrJan
28th August 2008, 17:51
ITV are in somewhat of a finanical pickle at the moment, they are even thinking of handing back their analogue licence to the government in order to save money. Certainliy I don't think 'quality' is top of ITV's list right now.

I don't think ITV know what quality is.

Sarah
4th September 2008, 20:03
In yesterday's Daily Express it said BBC sources admit they are in no position to announce when they will be able to name their F1 line up for next season even though the current championship is fast drawing to a close.

Radio 5 Live's Jonathan Leggard is the hot tip to commentate alongside Martin Brundle - although the latter has heard nothing so far.

And the delay means that any fact finding missions will have to be conducted in the final 4 races rather than the cheaper trips to Belgium or Italy.

Dave B
17th September 2008, 14:05
Here's the opinion of a poster on Digital Spy (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=27601404&postcount=6430)who has links with ITV (the opposition!) and is usually a reliable source:

OK, I'm bored with all this speculation. Here's the detail:

Jake Humphrey will be the BBC F1 presenter
David Coulthard will usually be the pundit
Martin Brundle will be the co-commentator
Holly Samos, Adam Parsons and 1 other will be the reporters, although there will also be features from Tamara Ecclestone.

Studio likely to be in London (given that production staff have been told they won't be going to races, with exception of floor managers).

Mark
17th September 2008, 14:22
Studio? Why do they need one? ITV had a portable one for years during the Roseenthal era and it sucked. These days they do the presentation standing in the paddock which is much more appropriate.

17th September 2008, 14:39
Tamara Ecclestone?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I would......but only if she promised not to present a TV programme.

Seriously, that girls talents do not lie in front of a TV camera.

Maybe a hand-held video camera, given half the chance, but certainly not mainstream TV.

wedge
17th September 2008, 14:48
Studio in London and DC being pundit, would've thought DC would be with RBR on most weekends for the PR stuff.

BBC are going to do a heck of job replicating Speed TV in America who have David Hobbs and Steve Matchett in the studio.

Dave B
17th September 2008, 15:35
Well keep in mind that none of that is official and that the poster works for "the other side". I'd expect the official announcement once this season finishes.

SGWilko
17th September 2008, 15:51
Tamara Ecclestone?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I would......but only if she promised not to present a TV programme.

Seriously, that girls talents do not lie in front of a TV camera.

Maybe a hand-held video camera, given half the chance, but certainly not mainstream TV.

Yup, marks out of two......

I'd probably give her 1......... tee hee.

Am I allowed a sense of humour on 'ere?

AndyL
18th September 2008, 11:33
The exchange between Bernie Ecclestone and Martin Brundle on the grid on Sunday was interesting. Bernie said "Do you still work for ITV?" Martin was a bit flustered for a moment before coming out with "well I think so, they haven't sacked me yet." Tells us something I'm sure, hard to say what though. Possible subtext: "oi Bernie, cut out the oblique references to my contract negotiations with the BBC!"

Daniel
18th September 2008, 11:49
The exchange between Bernie Ecclestone and Martin Brundle on the grid on Sunday was interesting. Bernie said "Do you still work for ITV?" Martin was a bit flustered for a moment before coming out with "well I think so, they haven't sacked me yet." Tells us something I'm sure, hard to say what though. Possible subtext: "oi Bernie, cut out the oblique references to my contract negotiations with the BBC!"
Yeah that was funny :D

Tbh I wouldn't be bothered if they got rid of Brundle. I've thought him very biased at times :mark:

MrJan
18th September 2008, 12:38
Yeah that was funny :D

Tbh I wouldn't be bothered if they got rid of Brundle. I've thought him very biased at times :mark:

Most people are biased but I find Brundle's commentary very insightful and despite coming from the sporting side he provides much better commentary than Allen. As the Beeb could be employing Legard or Croft I wouldn't mind so much if he left but TBH I'd rather he stayed because I think that a lot of what he says is actually interesting and usually useful, unlike that c**k who stands next to him.

ShiftingGears
18th September 2008, 12:55
I'd keep Brundle - he's insightful and interesting, which is what you want from at least one of the commentators. Allen is decent when he isn't blathering.

18th September 2008, 14:10
Allen is decent when he isn't blathering.

Maybe, but when did he stop blathering long enough for anyone to notice?

He may of done that once, but I'd popped out for a cigarette.

slinkster
19th September 2008, 11:16
Well I hope the BBC keep the better aspects of the ITV team which is mainly Martin Brundle and Louise Goodman. Both know their stuff and contribute alot to the show... all the others I could do without :P

Daniel
19th September 2008, 11:40
Well I hope the BBC keep the better aspects of the ITV team which is mainly Martin Brundle and Louise Goodman. Both know their stuff and contribute alot to the show... all the others I could do without :P
Louise Goodman good aspect of ITV team? I thought it was talk like a pirate day not talk in opposites day :)

MrJan
19th September 2008, 13:26
Louise Goodman good aspect of ITV team? I thought it was talk like a pirate day not talk in opposites day :)

:up: Fecking useless she is (talk like Yoda day). The sort of interviewing gold like "You crashed out of the race, how do you feel?" :rolleyes: or chasing after Kimi in Valencia when he clearly wasn't up for an interview.

Daniel
19th September 2008, 13:36
:up: Fecking useless she is (talk like Yoda day). The sort of interviewing gold like "You crashed out of the race, how do you feel?" :rolleyes: or chasing after Kimi in Valencia when he clearly wasn't up for an interview.
Mmmmm much dozyness I sense in this one! Part of BBC F1 team I hope she will not be.

I think she should take lessons from Brundle on dealing with drivers. I like the way he approaches drivers when it's appropriate and is happy to take signals like iPod headphones in and helmet on and so on :)

MrJan
19th September 2008, 13:44
I think she should take lessons from Brundle on dealing with drivers. I like the way he approaches drivers when it's appropriate and is happy to take signals like iPod headphones in and helmet on and so on :)

:up: The benefit of having done the whole driving thing.

Daniel
19th September 2008, 13:47
:up: The benefit of having done the whole driving thing.
You don't need to have driven to know how to respect a driver. It's mostly just common sense.

wedge
19th September 2008, 15:16
It's her job to report from the pits and she used to be PR officer for Jordan so I wouldn't say Louise is completely useless.

What about Brundle butting infront of a half dozen reporters waiting to interview Alonso at Spa. Not exactly good etiquette?

Allyc85
19th September 2008, 15:20
Who cares he go the interview and thats all that matters. It would have been worse if he had to stand there faffing about while other people got the interview.

wedge
19th September 2008, 15:21
Also, Brundle's gridwalks are hit and miss at times. I can see why he doesn't do it all the time. Really hate it when he scrapes the barrel and interviews celebrity muppets because they've managed to get on Bernie's guest list and couldn't care less about F1.

Sarah
19th September 2008, 16:09
Martin should go to the middle or back of the grid as his attempts to get something from the front are a joke.

markabilly
20th September 2008, 19:18
Mmmmm much dozyness I sense in this one! Part of BBC F1 team I hope she will not be.

Sometimes I think Brundle does cross the line with those walks, although he seems to leave Kimi alone usually....never forget the look he got from Jean Todt at one race. I think it was MS's last race at brazil, championship on the line, and Todt was busy messing with some laptop, and he tried to talk to him about something like how do you feel right now about this being Micheal's last race or some such as how about the socceer star Pele meeting MS or whatever.

If looks could kill, Brundle would have been dead, but without missing a beat, he just coolly moved on down the grid as though Todt had spent ten minutes blathering away, instead of the deadly silent stare.

The reason i think it was brazil, was a few minutes later, in the very best interview ever, he asked Kimi what he thought about MS meeting Pele on the grid and the response was something like "I was taking a dump".....

V12
20th September 2008, 19:45
Sometimes I think Brundle does cross the line with those walks, although he seems to leave Kimi alone usually....never forget the look he got from Jean Todt at one race. I think it was MS's last race at brazil, championship on the line, and Todt was busy messing with some laptop, and he tried to talk to him about something like how do you feel right now about this being Micheal's last race or some such as how about the socceer star Pele meeting MS or whatever.

If looks could kill, Brundle would have been dead, but without missing a beat, he just coolly moved on down the grid as though Todt had spent ten minutes blathering away, instead of the deadly silent stare.

The reason i think it was brazil, was a few minutes later, in the very best interview ever, he asked Kimi what he thought about MS meeting Pele on the grid and the response was something like "I was taking a dump".....

I think that was the same grid walk with Kimi's famous "I was taking a s**t" line on live TV. Loved that :D

markabilly
20th September 2008, 20:03
I think that was the same grid walk with Kimi's famous "I was taking a s**t" line on live TV. Loved that :D

Yes you are right. it was not taking a dump, that was the "clean version", the actual words were those, and when he said it, I thought what did he say, and then thought, Wish he weren't mumbling all the time cause i thought he said.... :eek:

christophulus
20th September 2008, 21:32
I think that was the same grid walk with Kimi's famous "I was taking a s**t" line on live TV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK3BrGOIwxI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK3BrGOIwxI