PDA

View Full Version : MP3 Players

Valve Bounce
13th June 2008, 00:17
I need some feedback here. My wife needs an MP3 player to put her French lessons into so she can be learning her French while doing other things. Don't need a fancy one, just one that will store the lessons.

Any ideas?

gloomyDAY
13th June 2008, 03:14
Creative Zen

They're not in production anymore, but can be find online and are cheap.

Dave B
13th June 2008, 09:03
iPods are pretty much idiotproof, but over priced and don't have particularly good sound quality from their headphone outputs. Plus I would never, on principal, buy any portable product where the end user can't change the battery.

At the other extreme you can pick up "unbranded" MP3 players, usually clones of Aigos and the like, for next to nothing. Again, sound quality isn't fantastic but they're dirt cheap and are a doddle to use with WMP or simply drag-and-drop files.

^ I've never used Creative Zens, but have heard many good things about them.

Mark
13th June 2008, 09:57
Many mobile phones will do that job for you. It's possible that hers (or yours) already will?

In any case a bog standard MP3 player with a limited memory need not set you back more than about £20 these days.

this would do : http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0774880172.121334822 2@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccgcadeegdjgfgdcflgceggdhhmdgml.0&page=Product&sku=589714
£14.99

Daniel
13th June 2008, 10:11
I'm the first person to rip Apple for the fact that their stuff is overpriced but my iPod works really well. Got it for Christmas 2004 and the battery life is still quite decent.

The best thing about it is the fact that there are tonnes of head units which are compatible with iPod's so you can plug it in and it will charge it, play it through your speakers, display track info and control it from your head unit. As a bonus the quality of the sound is better than playing it over FM or through a tape adaptor.

If you're going to use it in your car a lot I would suggest an iPod for the reasons above. If not then get something else that's cheaper and has better specs.

Dave B
13th June 2008, 10:13
If she's going to be mainly in the car then just record the lessons to a CD and save your money! :p

Mark
13th June 2008, 10:15
Well he said "while doing other things" so I assumed the car wasn't one of them?

But yes, a stack of CD-R's is the cheapest way listen in the car.

leopard
13th June 2008, 11:06
If she's going to be mainly in the car then just record the lessons to a CD and save your money! :p
If she's going to be mainly in the car, where is her husband mainly going to be? ;)

Daniel
13th June 2008, 11:28
If she's going to be mainly in the car, where is her husband mainly going to be? ;)
Most pointless post of the day award goes to.......

MrJan
13th June 2008, 12:27
I've got a 5th Gen iPod (video jobby) that has 30gb (actually 27 in real terms I think) of storage which I've just about used half of. Absolutely love it but certainly expensive. I quite like iTunes and the way that it'll synchronise and update my podcasts whenever I plug it in.

As for sound quality I lashed out on some Sennneheiser (sp??) ear phones that block out external noise and are superb.My only complaint is that occassionally they are a bit too bassy but changing the levels could sort this out if I could be bothered.

In my car I've got a stereo with a 3.5mm jack so can plud in anything with a headphone socket. Quality isn't brilliant but with the road noise doing 80 I mean 70mph it doesn't matter a great deal.

If you are only after a small amount of storage that Apple is probably not the right choice and like most people I've heard good things about CreativeZen.

Mark
13th June 2008, 12:31
btw, I'm learning French myself at the moment, have been for the past year. Can I ask what course she is listening to?

Valve Bounce
14th June 2008, 12:19
btw, I'm learning French myself at the moment, have been for the past year. Can I ask what course she is listening to?

"Learn in you car French
Foreign Language Series"

Look!! she wants an MP3 player to listen to when she is NOT in the car. Who am I to argue? I just promised to ask around, and make sure that if she buys an ipod, or any other MP3 player, she can store the stuff from the CD into the MP3 player, that's all.

Well probably go to Harvey Norman or BIG W and have a good look around.

MrJan
14th June 2008, 12:42
Ou a le fromage? Le fromage c'est dans le table.
Ou a la chat? Le chat c'est dans le fromage.

J'mappelle Jan.

Une biere sil vous plait.

Combien de temps?

ummmmm.... oooh la la

va va voom.

That's pretty much my French used up, should be enough to get by in France next month shouldn't it?

14th June 2008, 12:45
You're a good man Valve.

Drew
14th June 2008, 12:52
Where iz Brian? Brian iz in ze kitchen :p :

Jan, you forgot your most useful phrase for the lovely French ladies ;)

Valve Bounce
15th June 2008, 12:17
OK, we settled for Apples IPOD with 4GB of storage. I hope that will store the French Lessons - will do that tomorrow.

pino
16th June 2008, 07:28
As for sound quality I lashed out on some Sennneheiser (sp??) ear phones that block out external noise and are superb.My only complaint is that occassionally they are a bit too bassy but changing the levels could sort this out if I could be bothered.

Any more details ie model-name of your Senneheiser ear-phones, I would like to buy them for my iPod...thanks :D

Valve Bounce
16th June 2008, 09:43
Any more details ie model-name of your Senneheiser ear-phones, I would like to buy them for my iPod...thanks :D

.....including costs. please.

Mark
16th June 2008, 10:07
"Learn in you car French
Foreign Language Series"

Ooh! Me too! I was listening to that very one just this morning.. in my car :p

It sucks, mind :p

Mark
16th June 2008, 10:09
OK, we settled for Apples IPOD with 4GB of storage. I hope that will store the French Lessons - will do that tomorrow.

No problem :) . If it is the one I'm thinking of then it's 9 audio CD's, which should fit into less than 1GB.

MrJan
16th June 2008, 13:02
EARPHONES (http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/880672/Sennheiser-CX-300-In-Ear-Headphones/Product.html)

Think these are what I've got. Gutting really as they are shown as £17 but I paid £30 about 6 months ago. Some people have given them poor reviews but you can read for yourself. One complaining about durability is (from my experience) completely wrong as mine have had no special treatment and are in good condition. Guess that it depends on how much abuse you give them.

One thing I will say is that there are better headphones out there and it all comes down to the machine that you plug them into but in my amateur opinion these are great. One thing you do have to do is select the right size adaptors for your ears. I was amazed how much the sound can change if you are using the wrong ones.

MrJan
16th June 2008, 13:02
Double Post

leopard
17th June 2008, 03:44
Originally Posted by leopardsleeping
If she's going to be mainly in the car, where is her husband mainly going to be?

Most pointless post of the day award goes to.......
Thanks for the compliment. :)

It wasn't a hard question, her husband is mainly here, in forum. :)

Valve Bounce
17th June 2008, 05:04
These are the headphones I bought :http://www.scrup.com.au/reviews/Ovann-OV880V.htm

At AUD$15, you can't complain. I use it for my digital Sony miniature am/fm radio at the footy, and the longer and thicker chord, which also acts as an antenna works the radio like a charm, even inside the roofed Telstra Dome.

Valve Bounce
17th June 2008, 10:05
It has come to my notice that Itunes is not the best interface with IPODS, and that there is another Apple program that is much better. Can anyone help, please?

MrJan
17th June 2008, 11:25
I use iTunes and have no complaints really. Everything syncs right away and updates playlists and podcasts etc.

What specific problems have you had?

Valve Bounce
18th June 2008, 00:06
I use iTunes and have no complaints really. Everything syncs right away and updates playlists and podcasts etc.

What specific problems have you had?

Getting the French lessons in the correct order - apparently, itunes put the second disc first on the list and my better half was not amused; in fact she blamed me. :(