PDA

View Full Version : New GPS based racing game being developed..

Zico
11th June 2008, 12:10
"Real racing in the virtual world

Sat on the start grid, foot poised over the accelerator, you wait for the row of red lights to extinguish.

Alongside you are top names like Lewis Hamilton, Felipe Massa and Kimi Raikkonen. The cars' engines are screaming and everyone is poised to go. For any Formula One fan the chance to race against their heroes would be a dream come true.

Sadly, the closest most of us have ever got is watching the Grand Prix on television. But that could soon change if a company from the Netherlands has its way.

"It's clear that the next trend in gaming is going to be bringing real objects into the virtual world; playing not against other gamers but people doing the real thing," said Andy Lurling, founder of iOpener Media.

The patented system his company is developing sucks in real-time GPS data from racing events and pumps it out to compatible games consoles and PCs.

The idea is that you could pit yourself against the top drivers in the world, as it happens, from the comfort of your living room.

"You can compete against the best of the best," he told BBC News"

.... cont..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7440658.stm

Gimmick or will it hold an appeal to you ?
Im thinking Gimmick.. and cant see how the virtual and real world can be made to work together seamlessly without masses of overprogramming.. thus defeating the point of it all, too many real world variables imo..

52Paddy
12th June 2008, 11:15
My concept of gaming is that you can have fun trashing a car around without the expenses and difficulties involved in real world competition. Trying to combine virtual reality with reality, in my opinion, ruins the whole point of gaming!

Zico
13th June 2008, 08:55
Yep, cant see it being particularly popular with dedicated sim racers unless the game was very good in itself.

I must admit though, it was good to be able to beat, what I believe was Richard Burns own stage time/ghostcar in the challenge in his Rally game, so it would be pretty cool if the current top (real world) F1 drivers ghostcars could be downloaded from the sims they use to practice.

Anyone know what sim they actually use?