PDA

View Full Version : Danica's coming to F1, boys & girls!

Jag_Warrior
11th June 2008, 00:54
Oh happy day! A driver with one lifetime professional motor racing victory is going to test an F1 car (is the Honda slug technically an F1 car?) later this year. Paris Hilton will be the test engineer.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/10062008/23/honda-confirms-danica-patrick-f1-test.html

My prediction is that her times will either not be posted, or they'll be spoken of in very vague terms. I think Honda should put both Micro Andretti and Girl Power Patrick in their F1 cars next season. Between Marco hitting everything but the safety car, and Danica throwing those foot-stomping temper tantrums whenever the Ferraris and McLarens (and BMW's and Toyotas and Williams and Renaults and Red Bulls and Force Indias and STR's) don't let her win, 2009 would be the funniest season in Formula One history.

pits4me
11th June 2008, 01:48
Test her on Vallelunga in Italy, the same track as Legge did her stint. Followed by an A1-GP test with Team USA in Dubai Autodrome.

Hawkmoon
11th June 2008, 02:15
Hey, when your F1 cars stink as badly as Honda's do, you've got to do something to get some attention. May as well stick Patrick in the car. Worst she can do is destroy it on a wall somewhere, which is a fitting fate for those dumbo-eared monstrocities Honda call F1 cars.

winer
11th June 2008, 02:20
C'mon guys - this test is all about the "optics"! Nobody expects her to do well, but anytime anyone as attractive and talented (okay, attractive) as her gets a shot at an F1 ride, of course it is going to generate a huge press. That's all it is - publicity for the sport.

gloomyDAY
11th June 2008, 03:49
Can't anyone see how this will be a disaster?
If Danica fails to meet expectations the entire test will be a joke!

I'm not sure there's much of a benefit from having Danica out there in an F1 car. Seems to me as if Honda is trying really hard for those last 2 grid spots.

cy bais
11th June 2008, 03:56
Honda's desperation is amazingly pathetic.

Jag_Warrior
11th June 2008, 05:39

I'm not sure there's much of a benefit from having Danica out there in an F1 car. Seems to me as if Honda is trying really hard for those last 2 grid spots.

What expectations? Unless she misses the plane or can't find the track, all she has to do is show up and putt around for a few laps. If she's painfully slow or stuffs the car, Honda will gloss over that by saying, "she greatly improved from lap X to lap Y... and she's welcome to do a followup test at any time." Then they'll take loads of pictures, buy ads in Teen Beat and Cosmopolitan, have her talk about how great the new Civic is... and that ladies & gents will be a success.

harvick#1
11th June 2008, 06:23
:rotflmao: the US drivers are now just taken another step back in trying to get into the sport.

without TC and driver aids, she won't even put a lap down

she'll spin it and blame it was the gearbox :p :

wmcot
11th June 2008, 07:06
Oh happy day! A driver with one lifetime professional motor racing victory...

Like Jenson Button, Jarno Trulli, Jean Alesi,...

xtlm
11th June 2008, 07:21
but what if she runs a time faster than Button!
<_<

Valve Bounce
11th June 2008, 07:25
<_<

AS John Wayne said: "That'll be the day"

ArrowsFA1
11th June 2008, 08:13
By Jonathan NobleTuesday, June 10th 2008, 08:38 GMT

Honda Racing have rubbished suggestions that IndyCar race winner Danica Patrick will test for them later this year.
Reports at the weekend suggested that Patrick had been lined up for a run in a Honda Racing car in either November or December.
But Honda Racing CEO Nick Fry says that there is no arrangement in place - even though the team are interested in evaluating her.
"There has been no contact between us," he told autosport.com. "But if Danica did want to test one of our cars, we would be more than happy to speak to her about it."

http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/68180

Bezza
11th June 2008, 09:28
I've nothing against women drivers, and Danica Patrick is the best around at the moment. Legge was really average in Champ Car, at least Patrick is competitive and has won a race.

However, she does not warrant an F1 test - there are drivers in Indycar that a far better who would be far better in F1 - and that just proves that this is for publicity, if it happens.

BDunnell
11th June 2008, 09:53
Honda's desperation is amazingly pathetic.

What desperation?

N. Jones
11th June 2008, 15:30
http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/68180

yes, I had read that somewhere else - she is NOT testing a Honda F1 car anytime soon, so there is no story here...

F1boat
11th June 2008, 17:26
I've nothing against women drivers, and Danica Patrick is the best around at the moment. Legge was really average in Champ Car, at least Patrick is competitive and has won a race.

However, she does not warrant an F1 test - there are drivers in Indycar that a far better who would be far better in F1 - and that just proves that this is for publicity, if it happens.

I agree with you. Dixon would be better IMo.
About Legge, she was average in CCWS and she is the same in the DTM.

Breeze
11th June 2008, 17:39
Nick Fry says that there is no arrangement in place - even though the team are interested in evaluating her.
"There has been no contact between us," he told autosport.com. "But if Danica did want to test one of our cars, we would be more than happy to speak to her about it."
If only to say no freaking way! But really, how much worse can they tarnish there reputation in F1 at this point?

JSH
11th June 2008, 17:43

It is quite potentially a clever marketing move by Honda(and Toyota) to continue to keep F1 in the minds of the US motorsports fanbase.

Think of what they're saying here... "If you do well in IRL for Honda or NASCAR for Toyota, you get rewarded with a test... just a test in one of our F1 cars".

Of course, it also has the potential to make F1 even more elitist ......

Azumanga Davo
11th June 2008, 17:47
I agree with you. Dixon would be better IMo.
About Legge, she was average in CCWS and she is the same in the DTM.

DTM I wouldnt call a fair yardstick. I split it into two tiers personally:

1. Those with up-to-the-minute cars
2. The rest with year old + machinery

F1boat
11th June 2008, 17:50
Yeah, she is an old car and in CCWS the team wasn't good, but still she is not very impressive. This may change of course, but she is yet not close to Danica's achievements.

555-04Q2
11th June 2008, 17:53
Oh happy day! A driver with one lifetime professional motor racing victory is going to test an F1 car (is the Honda slug technically an F1 car?) later this year. Paris Hilton will be the test engineer.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/10062008/23/honda-confirms-danica-patrick-f1-test.html

My prediction is that her times will either not be posted, or they'll be spoken of in very vague terms. I think Honda should put both Micro Andretti and Girl Power Patrick in their F1 cars next season. Between Marco hitting everything but the safety car, and Danica throwing those foot-stomping temper tantrums whenever the Ferraris and McLarens (and BMW's and Toyotas and Williams and Renaults and Red Bulls and Force Indias and STR's) don't let her win, 2009 would be the funniest season in Formula One history.

Like we need another pit girl in F1 :(

Garry Walker
11th June 2008, 21:41
Like we need another pit girl in F1 :(

She is not even pretty.

jjanicke
11th June 2008, 22:30
:rotflmao: the US drivers are now just taken another step back in trying to get into the sport.

without TC and driver aids, she won't even put a lap down

she'll spin it and blame it was the gearbox :p :

hmmm... Did you know that no major American racing series allows or recently has allowed traction control or driver aids. Not in NASCAR, the dead Champ Car series, IRL, Speed Challenge World Series, etc.

Sounds like a lot of people are scared of what might come of it. Who cares if she fails. She drives Honda engines today, they want to put her in their F1 car for the publicity. Now imagine what happens if she actually puts down that competetive laps. I would love the see your faces, instant classic.

jjanicke
11th June 2008, 22:38
Yeah, she is an old car and in CCWS the team wasn't good, but still she is not very impressive. This may change of course, but she is yet not close to Danica's achievements.

Legge has also never had a team like Andretti Green or Rahal Letterman Racing around her. Danika has always been supported by a good team.

SparkyKate
11th June 2008, 23:54
<_<

Well, it wouldn't take much would it??

Jag_Warrior
12th June 2008, 03:50
Like Jenson Button, Jarno Trulli, Jean Alesi,...

No, not at all like Jenson Button, Jarno Trulli or Jean Alesi. All of them won either races or titles in lower professional formulas. What I mean is, Danica had not won a single professional automobile race in her life until earlier this year. The closest she'd come was a Pro-Am event at Long Beach, where she won her class. But the race was won overall by a woman named Dara Torres.

That's why I've said that Danica would be the least accomplished driver to ever grace the seat of an F1 car, should this "test" come to pass. It's not about her being a female... or maybe it is. IMO, it would be sad if people held Danica up to be the best female driver in the world, when she has traded more on hype & myth than facts. And when a female racer comes along who isn't 99% hype, but who has some solid race results, what kind of shot will she get?

jjanicke
12th June 2008, 05:44
No, not at all like Jenson Button, Jarno Trulli or Jean Alesi. All of them won either races or titles in lower professional formulas. What I mean is, Danica had not won a single professional automobile race in her life until earlier this year. The closest she'd come was a Pro-Am event at Long Beach, where she won her class. But the race was won overall by a woman named Dara Torres.

That's why I've said that Danica would be the least accomplished driver to ever grace the seat of an F1 car, should this "test" come to pass. It's not about her being a female... or maybe it is. IMO, it would be sad if people held Danica up to be the best female driver in the world, when she has traded more on hype & myth than facts. And when a female racer comes along who isn't 99% hype, but who has some solid race results, what kind of shot will she get?

Quite interesting how you paint her as 99% hype with no real accomplishments. Considering that fact alone (no real accomplishments) I think she's doing quite extraordinary running with well seasoned IRL drivers. No F1 driver could step into IRL and be near the top off the bat, guaranteed. Look at the X-F1 to NASCAR switchers, X-Champcar drivers are doing better.

She certainly isn't 99% hype!

harvick#1
12th June 2008, 06:17
Sounds like a lot of people are scared of what might come of it. Who cares if she fails. She drives Honda engines today, they want to put her in their F1 car for the publicity. Now imagine what happens if she actually puts down that competetive laps. I would love the see your faces, instant classic.

she can barely crack the top 10 on road courses in the best cars in the IRL. she'll be atleast 2 seconds slower a lap from Force India

SGWilko
12th June 2008, 09:44
No F1 driver could step into IRL and be near the top off the bat, guaranteed.!

It was done in Indycar back in 1993. The F1 guy won his first race, despite a drive through panalty.

Mr Peppermill
12th June 2008, 10:17
she can barely crack the top 10 on road courses in the best cars in the IRL. she'll be atleast 2 seconds slower a lap from Force India
No, she's fast enough. She qualified on front row in mid-ohio and Infineon last year.

And if she get more experience on road/street tracks she will be blistering fast.

leopard
12th June 2008, 10:49
She is not even pretty.
I guess She's still prettier than DC

Azumanga Davo
12th June 2008, 11:04
I guess She's still prettier than DC

Be careful, he might beat three shades of s*** out of you for that.

f1boat, I'm intrigued to know why Legge has to impress anyone. The fact that she has a racing career is an accomplishment in itself and is probably only too happy to take whatever is offered.

Let's face it, how many of us have racing careers of any magnitude (outside of CMR2 ;) )?

leopard
12th June 2008, 11:30
Be careful, he might beat three shades of s*** out of you for that.

I still have another three. :)

Roamy
12th June 2008, 16:05
she is probably coming over to see if she can help Button "Get it Up"

Azumanga Davo
12th June 2008, 16:08
I still have another three. :)

We should probably have that talk about you needing to buy better quality shades in future... ;)

jjanicke
12th June 2008, 17:43
It was done in Indycar back in 1993. The F1 guy won his first race, despite a drive through panalty.

1993 motorsports are hardly comparable to 2008 motorsports.

There once was this guy, Juan Manuel Fangio, who dominated with a Maserati and then with a Mercedes all in the same season. That would never happen today.

MrJan
12th June 2008, 20:47
I'd be fairly confident that a top F1 driver could be quick in America and equally confident that a top OW racer in America would not cut it in the UK. Take Dan Wheldon who does fairly well for himself in the US but never really got a sniff of an F1 drive.

It's a different sport admittedly but I think that F1 creates a better all rounder.

As for women in sport I'm all for it. Okay she isn't winning a lot but Danica is advertising a hell of a lot and beating a lot of blokes. Sato, Kovalainen, Webber, Heidfeld, all decent drivers but not winners at the moment.

jjanicke
12th June 2008, 21:34
I'd be fairly confident that a top F1 driver could be quick in America and equally confident that a top OW racer in America would not cut it in the UK. Take Dan Wheldon who does fairly well for himself in the US but never really got a sniff of an F1 drive.

It's a different sport admittedly but I think that F1 creates a better all rounder.

As for women in sport I'm all for it. Okay she isn't winning a lot but Danica is advertising a hell of a lot and beating a lot of blokes. Sato, Kovalainen, Webber, Heidfeld, all decent drivers but not winners at the moment.

Take JP Montoya, top American driver that was very quick in F1 straight away.

On the other side Justin Wilson who was a decent F1 driver (for a midpack team), and now is getting crushed by Wheldon who never got invited to F1. (Granted Wilson is a rookie to IRL, Wheldon isn't)

I don't believe a word about F1 drivers being better just because they are F1 drivers. There's a lot more to it than that. A 2 Time F1 World Champ, JV, can't even get a Nascar ride these days.

Hawkmoon
12th June 2008, 23:28
I don't believe a word about F1 drivers being better just because they are F1 drivers. There's a lot more to it than that. A 2 Time F1 World Champ, JV, can't even get a Nascar ride these days.

JV's a 2 time F1 champion? Bugger me! Did I miss a season? ;)

I think you're right though. Being an F1 driver doesn't automatically make you a better driver than a US series driver. The problem we have is that there really isn't that much transfer between the series' of top drivers. Certainly from F1 to the US.

I think the relative failures of Michael Andretti and Alex Zanardi weigh on peoples opinions of US series drivers. Both these guys are multiple champions in the states yet they pretty much stunk up the track in F1. There are numerous reasons for this that aren't pertintent to the thread, but the fact is that the lasting impression of these guys was one of failure.

Even two of the successful US imports have left negative impressions. Both JV and JPM had success in F1, JV achieving the ultimate success, but they left the sport in a very negative way. JV's championship kind of gets lost by the way his career petered out.

When you throw in the fact that failed F1 drivers, like Justin Wilson, head over to the States and become competitive it's not hard to see why many people don't rate the American open wheel series or the drivers who come from it.

In regards to Patrick, she will do nothing to help this opinion as she hasn't had any success in the US. A person with 1 win is hardly going to be taken seriously when a guy like Bourdais, with many championships, could only get a drive with a back-of-the-grid outfit like Torro Rosso.

MrJan
12th June 2008, 23:29
I thought JV only won the title in '97 and towards his latter years he couldn't get a ride in F1 either.

I'm not saying that all F1 drivers are automatically better just that in general they would probably do better. Certainly the guys in America are fantastic and the top lads would be good in F1.

Oh and Justin Wilson never did particularly well in F1 and perhaps shouldn't have ever had a drive. A great driver in the lower Formulae but I don't think a top class driver. Wheldon always seemed to show promise and I believe was a test driver (probably wrong on that point) but never made the final step, probably due to lack of sponsorship. The thing is that while he wins in IndyCar he would most likely be an outsider for the WDC after LH, KR, FM and probably Kubica.

jjanicke
12th June 2008, 23:43
JV's a 2 time F1 champion? Bugger me! Did I miss a season? ;)

I think you're right though. Being an F1 driver doesn't automatically make you a better driver than a US series driver. The problem we have is that there really isn't that much transfer between the series' of top drivers. Certainly from F1 to the US.

I think the relative failures of Michael Andretti and Alex Zanardi weigh on peoples opinions of US series drivers. Both these guys are multiple champions in the states yet they pretty much stunk up the track in F1. There are numerous reasons for this that aren't pertintent to the thread, but the fact is that the lasting impression of these guys was one of failure.

Even two of the successful US imports have left negative impressions. Both JV and JPM had success in F1, JV achieving the ultimate success, but they left the sport in a very negative way. JV's championship kind of gets lost by the way his career petered out.

When you throw in the fact that failed F1 drivers, like Justin Wilson, head over to the States and become competitive it's not hard to see why many people don't rate the American open wheel series or the drivers who come from it.

In regards to Patrick, she will do nothing to help this opinion as she hasn't had any success in the US. A person with 1 win is hardly going to be taken seriously when a guy like Bourdais, with many championships, could only get a drive with a back-of-the-grid outfit like Torro Rosso.

You are right, for some reason I blacked out Hill's 1996 WC :)

Rollo
13th June 2008, 00:39
At the moment there are only 20 seats in F1. To be offered any of them, must mean that someone somewhere thinks that you have the ability to steer a car or have shedloads of dosh, so that you can pay your own drive (this is becoming a rarity).

On track, Danica will be in a car like everyone else, so in reality it comes down to ability or her and the car combined. Motor racing is one of the very few sports where men and women compete on equal terms (the only others I can think of are lawn bowls and horse racing).

If she gets the spot, then good luck to her. Her flare up at Indy proved that she's got as much as a mean streak as anyone else out there.

D28
13th June 2008, 01:57
No F1 driver could step into IRL and be near the top off the bat, guaranteed. Look at the X-F1 to NASCAR switchers, X-Champcar drivers are doing better.

I believe this argument was settled over 40 years ago (see my recent post on Return Of American GP to Indy, sorry for the technical gliches). My point is that elite F1 drivers have an excellent record in American oval racing. Jim Clark had a win and 2 2nds in 5 appearences at Indy. He also won his 2nd ever oval race at Milwaukie. Graham Hill was a rookie winner at Indy, the same year Stewart also led as a rookie. Jack Brabham and Alberto Ascari ran ill suited grand prix cars, but had no trouble running competitive laps. As pointed out, recently N. Mansell won his first outing in CART, he also could and probably should have won his first Indy 500.With this historical background, I would predict that F. Alonzo for example, would have no difficulty running at the front in IRL. The top F1 drivers have to be reckoned to be the world's best; they would be expected to adapt to an Indy car as the basic design is similar. A NASCAR stocker is a different proposition altogether. This thread concerns Danica Patrick's supposed move to F1. Think about her name in the same context as those above for a moment. If the name was Danny Patrick would Honda be coyly, maybe, contemplating a test anytime soon?

jso1985
13th June 2008, 03:56
probably she's 50% hype, but she's actually quite talented in ovals, it doesn't matter any argument about her past, but all her detractors can't deny she has some talent for ovals.
while on road curses, she's isn't that good...
a test won't do any harm and probably will prove she isn't F1 material(yet?)
personally Dixon, Wheldon or Kanaan deserve much more an F1 ride

CNR
13th June 2008, 04:07
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1285732.ece

Now Honda team boss Nick Fry has offered her a test drive in November at the end of the 2008 F1 campaign.
If Danica does well, she could race at the start of next season

:confused: :confused: :confused:
is she good or bad for the sport

Married Danica, 26, from Wisconsin, has been a big hit in the US by posing for sexy lads mag FHM.

http://www.sjcars.com/files/danica2.jpg

Jag_Warrior
13th June 2008, 04:18
Quite interesting how you paint her as 99% hype with no real accomplishments. Considering that fact alone (no real accomplishments) I think she's doing quite extraordinary running with well seasoned IRL drivers. No F1 driver could step into IRL and be near the top off the bat, guaranteed. Look at the X-F1 to NASCAR switchers, X-Champcar drivers are doing better.

She certainly isn't 99% hype!

By her stats, Danica is a top 10 driver. But by the IRL's stats, there are only three teams, accounting for 8 cars, which tend to win the great majority of the races in the IRL and run up front. And she drives for one of them.

I've never said that she is an awful or terrible driver. But yes, I do believe that she is mostly hype when it comes to considering a driver with one lifetime professional win for an F1 test... or even a discount on race tickets to an F1 race.

Hawkmoon
13th June 2008, 04:48

That article's a load of rubbish!

Giovanna Amati drove for Brabham in the early '90's so she might have something to say about Patrick being the first women in F1 in 30 years. :dozey:

If Patrick gets into F1 for no other reason than she looks good sprawled across a car in a bikini then, no, she won't be good for F1.

jso1985
13th June 2008, 04:55
basically Amati never raced in F1 ;) a couple of DNQ's does not count to some people as "being" in F1

jjanicke
13th June 2008, 05:22
Given all the "positive" (just kidding) comments how many of you take issue with a female in F1, or Danica in F1?

There are only 2 options because there's no mistaken that the publicity value Danica brings would kick any other (male) F1 invitee's a$$ all over the place.

So what is it; Danica or Female??

ShiftingGears
13th June 2008, 07:11

Shes bad for my eyes :(

leopard
13th June 2008, 07:37
Shes bad for my eyes :(
Probably you don't like her necklace.

ShiftingGears
13th June 2008, 07:49
Probably you don't like her necklace.

That necklace is unattractive too.

Roamy
13th June 2008, 08:02

where is the camel toe????

Roamy
13th June 2008, 08:14
well actually JPM is Colombian so lets not take that away. I really don't like any American driver at the moment to come to F1. Marco is just not kicking enough ass to get the nod. I don't think we have a strong enough karting program and don't promote the under series well enough. Also I am not really a fan of open wheel on ovals. I think it is too dangerous and makes drivers tend to drive just a tad under their potential whereas in F1 you can get someone driving at 110% percent which is pretty special to watch. Indy Car takes a back seat to CrashCar so we will get very few really fast open wheel guys. Scott Speed would have done well in a good ride. I don't know that we really have anyone close to him at the moment.

Hawkmoon
13th June 2008, 13:40
basically Amati never raced in F1 ;) a couple of DNQ's does not count to some people as "being" in F1

Bull****. Amati was still an F1 driver and the article never mentioned racing just being in F1. DNQ is still doing F1, just poorly.

clavius85
13th June 2008, 14:24
Scott Speed would have done well in a good ride.

I agree. Too bad he wasn't smart enough to keep his mouth shut over that incident with Tost - he might still be in F1 in some capacity. However, something leads me to think he isn't the brightest guy around:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WePGY5-Plcs

;)

jjanicke
14th June 2008, 01:01
where is the camel toe????

LOL probably photoshop'ed away ;)

... I really don't like any American driver at the moment to come to F1. Marco is just not kicking enough ass to get the nod. ... Scott Speed would have done well in a good ride.

I agree. Too bad he wasn't smart enough to keep his mouth shut over that incident with Tost - he might still be in F1 in some capacity. However, something leads me to think he isn't the brightest guy around:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WePGY5-Plcs

;)

Scott would have done well given a chance. I think Marco should make a run. Given his granpa, uncle and dad he's got it. He just needs to develop a little. Almost winning the Indy 500 as an IRL rookie and no major racing series experience, is no small feat in my opinion. He debut well at Jerez only 1.5s off Honda's test drivers time, and that without any major series openwheel experience.

D28
14th June 2008, 01:38
Given all the "positive" (just kidding) comments how many of you take issue with a female in F1, or Danica in F1?

There are only 2 options because there's no mistaken that the publicity value Danica brings would kick any other (male) F1 invitee's a$$ all over the place.

Definitely not female. I was and remain a huge supporter of Lella Lombardi. who competed in 12 GP for March in 1975-76. She remains the only woman to score points, with a 6th spot finish in Spain in 1975. She also mixed it up with some tough guys in American F 5000, like Lloyd Ruby and Mario Andretti. Mario mentioned that she had more guts then half the guys in the paddock. Sadly she was a victim of cancer in 1992.

markabilly
14th June 2008, 03:53
Definitely not female. I was and remain a huge supporter of Lella Lombardi. who competed in 12 GP for March in 1975-76. She remains the only woman to score points, with a 6th spot finish in Spain in 1975. She also mixed it up with some tough guys in American F 5000, like Lloyd Ruby and Mario Andretti. Mario mentioned that she had more guts then half the guys in the paddock. Sadly she was a victim of cancer in 1992.
Thought he said balls.....

strange Mario's name keeps popping up, since i have always thought the dude had a special touch for F1 and every form of racing car he ever sat in.

Awful fast in F1, absolute great car set up skills (and that was when the driver really played the major role, as those times before data acquisition as in now where some engineer nerd with a computer does 99% of it, while people like FA and LH try to claim all the credit....)

......I remember when JV scored a pole in his first race ever in F1 and the announcers were like wow, never ever been done except back in the 1940's......strange I rememeber a certain race in 68 at the Glen when some yankee who could speak italian, scored a pole and might well have won, til the nose wing started coming off........

D28
14th June 2008, 05:54
Thought he said balls.....

strange Mario's name keeps popping up, since i have always thought the dude had a special touch for F1 and every form of racing car he ever sat in.

Awful fast in F1, absolute great car set up skills (and that was when the driver really played the major role, as those times before data acquisition as in now where some engineer nerd with a computer does 99% of it, while people like FA and LH try to claim all the credit....)

......I remember when JV scored a pole in his first race ever in F1 and the announcers were like wow, never ever been done except back in the 1940's......strange I rememeber a certain race in 68 at the Glen when some yankee who could speak italian, scored a pole and might well have won, til the nose wing started coming off........

You have it exactly! I was paraphrasing Mario's comments to make them more polite. I was also present at Watkins Glen for the US GP in 68, and I agree with you totally. Since Mario knew Lella and must also be involved with Danica, I would really like to hear his opinion of these two women racers.

Tallgeese
14th June 2008, 15:48
No way!

I wouldn't allow IRL drivers into F1. They should go through GP2 like everybody else these days. IRL isn't exactly the best way to get ready for F1, at least not anymore.

Azumanga Davo
15th June 2008, 13:04
No way!

I wouldn't allow IRL drivers into F1. They should go through GP2 like everybody else these days. IRL isn't exactly the best way to get ready for F1, at least not anymore.

You personally going to stop them are you?

Garry Walker
15th June 2008, 13:54
That necklace is unattractive too.

Yeah, a Pearl Necklace would look much better on her

Jag_Warrior
15th June 2008, 16:40

Very valid question.

Personally, I just don't care for Danica! I've never met and don't know Danica (the person). Though I somehow doubt it, she may be a very pleasant person in private. But Danica! (the overhyped media creation) grates the nerves. That she is a female isn't the basis of why I don't care for her, though it is why certain segments of the media have hyped her soooooooo much. IMO, if she was a he, named Daniel instead of Danica, given her career stats, not a word would be spoken about this driver. Certainly not in F1 circles and probably not even in IRL circles. If Lewis Hamilton was relatively unaccomplished as a driver, but was still hyped just because of his race, I probably wouldnt like him. If Robert Kubica was relatively unaccomplished as a driver, but was still hyped just because of his nationality, I probably wouldn't like him either. If an autistic kid comes to F1, or even the IRL, and wins a race... sure, hype that! That's a legitimate handicap and that would be something to talk about for a long, long time. True, women have not always been welcomed into auto racing and that has been an issue. But the car doesn't know if the person driving it has ovaries or not. She came back to the States with the best of support and has had the best of rides since Rahal picked her up. There is NO excuse for her failure to win a single race until a couple of months ago... other than her abilities and results don't warrant the hype. Other minorities have been even less welcomed into auto racing than women. But would we expect Lewis Hamilton to make as big a deal about beating White drivers as Danica makes about "beating the boys"? Group and identity politics is what I see ruining this country as the years go by. Thankfully, a champion of gender and racial politics, Hillary Clinton, got sent back to the clubhouse. Maybe there's still hope.

The reason I think your question is valid is because there are men and women who just don't care for Danica!, but they(we) will drop in comments that could be seen as sexist sometimes. That probably muddies the waters.

markabilly
15th June 2008, 19:12
Danica Danica Danica

It is all about PR
Anyway, I don't know what everyone is so worked up over her. If she is not in a top team, she will leave no marks (except perhaps for skid marks)
Unless Honda rathches it up to be on par with mac, ferrari, then no matter how good she might otherwise be, she will end up just like Scott Speed and all the rest.

But it was funny that the TV spent more time on Danica walking off at the end of Indy then watching the winner....

Jag_Warrior
16th June 2008, 00:38
But it was funny that the TV spent more time on Danica walking off at the end of Indy then watching the winner....

Call it the sad and pitiful current state of American Open Wheel Racing.

It's painful for me to realize that the Indy 500 that I fell in love with as a child is pretty much dead now. Instead of the legitimate racing heroes that drew me to become a fan, Johncock, Foyt, Andretti, Mears, etc., now little fluff headed kids think that some racing version of Paris Hilton is the "real deal". Well, that's just more of the world we live in, I suppose. :dozey:

markabilly
16th June 2008, 01:10
Call it the sad and pitiful current state of American Open Wheel Racing.

It's painful for me to realize that the Indy 500 that I fell in love with as a child is pretty much dead now. Instead of the legitimate racing heroes that drew me to become a fan, Johncock, Foyt, Andretti, Mears, etc., now little fluff headed kids think that some racing version of Paris Hilton is the "real deal". Well, that's just more of the world we live in, I suppose. :dozey:

There are too many times i think the same be true of F1....where are the Mansells, the Clarks, Gurneys, Surtees, and so on................but instead of D
P, we have Hamilton doing stupid commercials and running off at the mouth about this and that as to how good he is at this and that.

Not much difference except that he drives for an excellent team that is more dominant and he does have a far better record, but if you listen to him go on and on, and then (alas) be forced to listen to her go on and on.....outside of voice pitch and accent, hard to tell the difference between the two.....and the commercials, well compare her photo "spreads" and her necklace to
"glue me toy face on me toy car mate", tghe other one where he was hanging in the air, suspended like superman and so on.....

maybe they got the same PR reresentatives (or perhaps some folks who went to the same school) busy grooming them like they were some Disney stars manufactured to be a hit like Hanna Montanna or whoever....

Roamy
16th June 2008, 02:13
I love her I hope she does very well !!!
Plus I think she should attend Fousto's truck driving school for Women.

that where I teach Women how to back up and take a load!

D28
16th June 2008, 02:24
No way!

I think that F1 benefits enormously when chargers appear out of nowhere, ie. not out of traditional European series. The current WC moved from British Formula Renault, and 3 races in Europe Formula Renault, straight into the Sauber F1 team. In years past, Formula Atlantic graduated 2 WC, Keke Rosberg and Jacques Villeneuve. as well as the great Gille Villeneuve. I agree that IRL is not a viable training series now, because of too many ovals and not enough road courses. Formula Atlantic seems to be a shadow of it's former self, probably because it is not a part of the official IRL family. Any North American series that could develop drivers as F Atlantic did, would be great for F1.

Jag_Warrior
16th June 2008, 03:10
There are too many times i think the same be true of F1....where are the Mansells, the Clarks, Gurneys, Surtees, and so on................but instead of D
P, we have Hamilton doing stupid commercials and running off at the mouth about this and that as to how good he is at this and that.

Not much difference except that he drives for an excellent team that is more dominant and he does have a far better record, but if you listen to him go on and on, and then (alas) be forced to listen to her go on and on.....outside of voice pitch and accent, hard to tell the difference between the two.....and the commercials, well compare her photo "spreads" and her necklace to
"glue me toy face on me toy car mate", tghe other one where he was hanging in the air, suspended like superman and so on.....

maybe they got the same PR reresentatives (or perhaps some folks who went to the same school) busy grooming them like they were some Disney stars manufactured to be a hit like Hanna Montanna or whoever....

Maybe if I was exposed to more UK media, I would see what people are talking about, in regard to Hamilton's media (over)exposure. But outside of racing, automotive and business sites, I don't read any general UK or European sites. As for TV, BBC America and CNBC Europe are about my only views of European media - no racing talk on either of those outlets. So I don't hear or see anything more of Lewis than I do of any other F1 driver. I can imagine someone in the UK would see as much of him as I do of Dale, Jr. and Danica!. But I did read about his high wire promotion and I agree that was one of the dopiest things I've heard of. And he does have a touch of arrogance... but he wins. Patrick has more than a touch of arrogance... and she doesn't win.

Out of anecdotal curiosity, I just went to Google Images and typed in Formula One. Over two pages (36 images), I didn't get any images of Hamilton or his car for "Formula One". Out of 36 images for "Indy Racing League", I got 6 images of Danica or her car, including 3 of her wearing some sort of hooker garb while attempting some sort of unnatural act with a car. What does that mean? Basically it just means that I have too much time on my hands tonight.

I guess my comparison would be Dale Earnhardt, Jr. to Lewis Hamilton. Their personalities don't seem to be anything alike, but both seem to get levels of exposure far above their current accomplishments. Neither has won a top level championship, but both contend for wins with top teams. I can see Dale, Jr. winning the NASCAR Cup at some point. I can see Lewis winning the WDC at some point. I can't see Danica! winning the IRL championship at any point. Patrick has been with top teams since entering Barber-Dodge. And AGR is at least as much of an IRL powerhouse as McLaren is an F1 powerhouse. And yet... :confused:

I too miss characters like Lauda, Fittipaldi, Mansell, Gilles Villeneuve and even Prost (though I was/am a Senna fanatic). To me, the current crop is a bit too corporate and less real. So the last thing I want to see is the sport take a major step down by bringing in a carnival sideshow attraction like Danica!.

cy bais
16th June 2008, 04:08
it is what it is, a sideshow put up by a desperate team, honda.

leopard
16th June 2008, 08:15
Yeah, a Pearl Necklace would look much better on her
Probably, she might think she is a belly-dance dancer when wearing that necklace. :)

Hoss Ghoul
16th June 2008, 09:02
I guess my comparison would be Dale Earnhardt, Jr. to Lewis Hamilton. Their personalities don't seem to be anything alike, but both seem to get levels of exposure far above their current accomplishments. Neither has won a top level championship, but both contend for wins with top teams. I can see Dale, Jr. winning the NASCAR Cup at some point. I can see Lewis winning the WDC at some point. I can't see Danica! winning the IRL championship at any point. Patrick has been with top teams since entering Barber-Dodge. And AGR is at least as much of an IRL powerhouse as McLaren is an F1 powerhouse. And yet... :confused:

I would consider both the Busch/Nationwide and GP2 series as top level championships. Maybe that doesn't justify the level of exposure that winning Cup or F1 titles does, but considering their other unique attributes...it certainly helps justify the hype.

Danica on the other hand, well, no argument on why she's hyped, and no doubt it is largely undeserved. Still, I don't blame her for it, gotta get what you can while the getting is good. Danica in F1 though...let's see her racking up wins and podiums on some road courses first.

2cool4hollywood
17th June 2008, 00:02
Test drive or no test drive, we are still talking about her. Love her or hate her she gets lots of attention. Bottom line!

Roamy
17th June 2008, 16:16
Probably, she might think she is a belly-dance dancer when wearing that necklace. :)

well at least she could slip her helmet on a bit easier

gloomyDAY
17th June 2008, 16:50
Let's get this little attention whore in an F1 car before she begins to stomp her feet.

Yeah, a Pearl Necklace would look much better on herDude, awesome! :)