PDA

View Full Version : Get fit thread!

gloomyDAY
11th June 2008, 00:23
Yeah, so I wasn't too happy when I hopped on the scale today.

I fractured my right foot 2 months ago and have been staying away from hard cardio. Fortunately my foot is healing, therefore, time to get back into shape! I already started surfing more consistently because I can plant my bodyweight down without any discomfort. Also, I started running once again but only on the treadmills at the gym (they are so boring).

My goal? Well I'm 5'10" @ 177.6 lbs after a big meal of pasta.
I'd like to be around 165 by the end of summer (Aug. 31) and 160 by late September. I'll post some pictures later, so I can get more members to participate. There's always room for improvement folks! :)

Drew
11th June 2008, 14:53
My aim for summer is to join a gym and get fit :)

MrJan
11th June 2008, 15:03
I keep intending to do exercise, I even have an exercise bike in front of my TV for encouragement, trouble is that I'm lazy. Once I get home from work, do some college stuff, eat and check e-mails I really do not feel like doing anything. Worryingly my belly hasn't stopped growing since I started working in an office so something will need to be done, hopefully now the sun is out I'll get out on the real bike over weekends but I doubt it.

GridGirl
11th June 2008, 19:56
I've been a bit lapse lately with going to the gym as I've been so busy with work. I've just today finished with what I was so busy with so I'll be down the gym atleast 3 days a week from tomorrow, plus Wii fit, hiking and mountain biking.

The worst thing about going to the gym for me is the fact that I go there and end up watching things like Master Chef or Hell's Kitchen on the tv. That in itself makes me want to eat cake.

leopard
12th June 2008, 07:25
I think it's woman who goes to gym to shape their body fit, man hoes. :)

gloomyDAY
13th June 2008, 07:32
LOL! ^^^

I need to post pictures.
Watch your PM box people. Let's get some participants!

leopard
13th June 2008, 07:44
LOL! ^^^

I need to post pictures.
Watch your PM box people. Let's get some participants!
I think people would welcome your picture.
Am I right you are a woman? ;)

Drew
13th June 2008, 11:26
I think it's woman who goes to gym to shape their body fit, man hoes. :)

Think about it, attractive women are at the gym, sweating ;)

It's apparently also quite sociable, plus you have something in common

Tazio
20th June 2008, 03:50
This is the best I can do for you! My daughters wedding! I'm not a poser!
Checkin' in @ 5'9" 175 not bad for a 54 year old man! (Did I mention that I can still whip my weight in wildcats!) :D

Tazio
20th June 2008, 03:54
I'm sure you'ld much rather see a pic. of my daughter.
Sorry Bro, like I said, married

OWFan19
20th June 2008, 04:48
If your trying to shed pounds, make your body workout from the inside. Start the day off with Yougurt and a Bagel. Then eat a little snack every 2 hours until dinner. Eat a light dinner. That should cut 15 pounds right there. Eat cottage cheese, drink low fat milk, eat smart carbs. Chicken and tuna is good. Get store ground peanut butter.

Swim as much as you can, lift as much as you can.

leopard
20th June 2008, 05:15
I'm sure you'ld much rather see a pic. of my daughter.
Sorry Bro, like I said, married
Too late you posted this. :)

Tazio
20th June 2008, 05:33
Too late you posted this. :)

C'est la vie!

306 Cosworth
20th June 2008, 10:10
I currently go down the gym about 3 - 4 times a week and go running 3 times a week and at present i've put on about 10lbs worth of muscle in about 3 1/2 months :D Got a pretty good six pack now too ;)

turves
20th June 2008, 10:27
I don't have a 6-pack, I have a keg... :laugh: but I'm trying to work it off...although a lot of money was invested in it during my late teens and twenties!!!

3 kids prevent me from excercising as much as I'd like now though.

maxu05
20th June 2008, 15:23
I thought I should start doing something to keep fit, so I started kick starting my scooter instead of using the electric start :) I do live on the 8th floor, and we have no elevator, so I am running up and down the stairs at least 5 times a day.

slinkster
20th June 2008, 18:46
I'm far too body conscious to go to a gym which is a shame because I used to love the fitness suite we had to use at school. I do a few pilates and have a stepper machine with some hand weights at home to keep toned, but it's easy to avoid it in your own living room.

veeten
20th June 2008, 19:21
I don't have a 6-pack, I have a keg... :laugh:

Ladies & Gentlemen, I give you the 'quote of the day'. :laugh: :up: :D

Daniel
21st June 2008, 15:00
I've recently bought myself a nice mountain bike and taken to riding on a small trail which is about 1.2 miles up and the same again down. Even though I've only had it for 5 days I feel just a bike fitter and I'm getting faster and faster at getting up and down the trail according to my bike computer :) Just need to lose about 10-15kg's now :p

Gurl Racer
21st June 2008, 15:48
Wow... Well, after spending one up and down year on my own overseas, I've managed to gain 15 kilos BUT all my old clothes fit me :S Go figure? I'm eating good meals everday, and have had takeaways 4 times in one year, as opposed to once a day when I was at home.

I plan to loose the 15 kilos when I get home, and get a physiotherapist, as my back problems from a few years earlier are back.. and the boobs don't help either. lol. I'm a trained chef, and also have a paper in nutrition, so I should be ok! I just need to get motivated...

Good thing is, I'm heading back to New Zealand winter in two weeks, and then I have a good few months to loose the weight, not like you guys :D

Gurl Racer
21st June 2008, 15:57
P.S. My Dad's favourite quote = "I'm in shape... round is a shape"

AndySpeed
21st June 2008, 22:38
When I'm at university I go to the weights room 3 times a week, and to balance it I cycle there and back. I'm quite tall (6'3") so I don't look too bulky. The student lifestyle doesn't help (I've been known to drink excessive alcohol up to 4-5 times a week as well as going to the gym) but I try to think how much worse it would be without the fitness.

Now that I'm back home I don't want it all to go to waste over the next 3 and a half months, so I just joined the UEA sportspark. It's really not hard to go to the gym, and quite enjoyable really. Also less alcohol should mean I start to see some real gains!

Not so fun cycling in Norfolk, though.

22nd June 2008, 10:45
Welcome back in advance and good luck losing weight in the winter. I need lots of comfort food in the cold weather and usually put on a couple of kilos.

The above is a reply to Gurl Racer's post.

SubaruNorway
22nd June 2008, 17:29
If your gona get fit try and get into a good rythme and having goals and a stable life are the most important things i think. If you have a BF or a GF, get them to give you a treat if you reach your goal, that will defenitely help things along the way ;)

GridGirl
24th June 2008, 08:34
I ran over 3km on gradients up to 6%, cycled 5km as well as some other stuff but boy do my legs ache today. I don't know why they do as I didn't particulary do more than any other day. :s

I really need to do some weights to tone up my arms but I really can get motivated to lift anything. Has anyone every used those weights you wrap round your wrists? I think using them may work while I'm running rather than actually using any of the weights machines at the gym which I just avoid like the plague.

leopard
24th June 2008, 10:44
Try to do couple minutes of warm-up before taking up anything heavier.

Garry Walker
24th June 2008, 11:47
I keep intending to do exercise, I even have an exercise bike in front of my TV for encouragement
Why do you not buy a real bike and go ride out in the open?

I really need to do some weights to tone up my arms but I really can get motivated to lift anything. Has anyone every used those weights you wrap round your wrists? I think using them may work while I'm running rather than actually using any of the weights machines at the gym which I just avoid like the plague.

I know those weights, but they are useless for me. But for someone just starting, they can be useful. I have seen people use them in some "aerobics" classes.
In any case, you would be much better off using different weights and machines in your gym, than those wrist thingies. Or do Press-ups, they are always very good.

After being lazy for a while, I am again approaching my goal of benching 200kg :D

GridGirl
24th June 2008, 13:24
Thanks for the advice, I think I'll add some push ups into my routine. If I'm lucky I might be able to do about 5. I already use the bike thing for my arms even though I'm useless at it even on easy levels. I have no strength in my arms whatsoever, I dount I could even bench 2kg :p

Garry Walker
24th June 2008, 15:04
Thanks for the advice, I think I'll add some push ups into my routine. If I'm lucky I might be able to do about 5. I already use the bike thing for my arms even though I'm useless at it even on easy levels. I have no strength in my arms whatsoever, I dount I could even bench 2kg :p

Just as an add-on to what I previously said, if you decide to add pushups to your routine, you can start doing them the girly-way, and have your knees on ground at the beginning if it is really difficult. Also remember to do them slowly and properly, it will be most beneficial and you`ll see, in a few months you can do 50-60 pushups easily.

BTW: What is the bike thing?

gloomyDAY
24th June 2008, 17:07
After being lazy for a while, I am again approaching my goal of benching 200kg :D Really? :eek:

gloomyDAY
24th June 2008, 20:31
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c123/killincommies/1.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c123/killincommies/2.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c123/killincommies/3-1.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c123/killincommies/4.jpg

Been working hard and I want to see some better results by the end of summer.
Bigger chest, more defined abs, stronger legs, and keep working on those shoulders.

Tazio
24th June 2008, 23:16
I wouldn't suggest your gay!
But bro, you are trippin'!

leopard
25th June 2008, 05:20
The rightest of picture hanging on the second picture is the fittest, I think.

gloomyDAY
26th June 2008, 02:21
I wouldn't suggest your gay!
But bro, you are trippin'!Sorry I'm not gay. Don't look so disappointed Taz! :p

The rightest of picture hanging on the second picture is the fittest, I think.Yeah, the Aztec warrior. At first I thought you meant the SWRT poster below. :D

Valve Bounce
26th June 2008, 02:49
Yeah, so I wasn't too happy when I hopped on the scale today.

I fractured my right foot 2 months ago and have been staying away from hard cardio. Fortunately my foot is healing, therefore, time to get back into shape! I already started surfing more consistently because I can plant my bodyweight down without any discomfort. Also, I started running once again but only on the treadmills at the gym (they are so boring).

My goal? Well I'm 5'10" @ 177.6 lbs after a big meal of pasta.
I'd like to be around 165 by the end of summer (Aug. 31) and 160 by late September. I'll post some pictures later, so I can get more members to participate. There's always room for improvement folks! :)

I just cannot believe that you'd even bother to go to a gym to run on a treadmill. What's wrong with carrying your board and running along the beach? :confused:

If you really want to get fit, and you need no equipment for this, and very little space, try 5BX.

leopard
26th June 2008, 03:44
Yeah, the Aztec warrior. At first I thought you meant the SWRT poster below. :D
I'd rather consider the Aztec warrior and its woman is an oneness, how do you define the left and the right one? :rolleyes: :)

gloomyDAY
26th June 2008, 17:19
I just cannot believe that you'd even bother to go to a gym to run on a treadmill. What's wrong with carrying your board and running along the beach? :confused:

If you really want to get fit, and you need no equipment for this, and very little space, try 5BX.You have a great point. I have been thinking about getting rid of my gym membership because I can do a lot of exercises here at home. I'll just need a few weights and then do some reps on my balcony. As for the treadmill, not my thing! Absolutely hate the treadmill, but it will have to do until my foot gets better.

5BX? I never heard of that and just looked it up. Seems like an old school method of resistance training. There are plenty of other exercise routines, which are more fun and rigorous, that I'd prefer.

Valve Bounce
26th June 2008, 23:36
You have a great point. I have been thinking about getting rid of my gym membership because I can do a lot of exercises here at home. I'll just need a few weights and then do some reps on my balcony. As for the treadmill, not my thing! Absolutely hate the treadmill, but it will have to do until my foot gets better.

5BX? I never heard of that and just looked it up. Seems like an old school method of resistance training. There are plenty of other exercise routines, which are more fun and rigorous, that I'd prefer.

5BX is progressive, and sensational for improving fitness without any weights.

Go for a run on the sand - easier on your foot. Also, better ambiance, fresh air, and with your body, you'd be able to score a couple of chicks in no time.

Garry Walker
28th July 2008, 11:42
Really? :eek:

yep.

My recent elbow injury has not had a good effect though