PDA

View Full Version : Where's PT?

maxmach
10th June 2008, 20:46
Ok, I started this one before the I500, and now I'm doing it again. Where the hell is PT? No word on his site. Anyone know?

JSH
10th June 2008, 20:47
Wasn't he testing a NAS-TRUCK?

Alexamateo
10th June 2008, 21:37
He's :beer: , :s mokin:, and :z .

He's also exploring new career options:

:p imp:, or :bandit:

BenRoethig
11th June 2008, 01:11
Wasn't he testing a NAS-TRUCK?

Yes. He tested for Germain racing.

gone fishing
13th June 2008, 03:05
I read somewhere that he isn't allowed to race open wheel until next year because of the forsythe contract.He doesn't seem to be that pissed off that he's not in the irl ,so maybe he will be back with forsythe next year.

disko
13th June 2008, 03:49
so forsythe, and walker (he used the money line) said that they didn;t want to compete this year because they were so far behind already. So, if they join the league next year, doesn;t that put them that much further behind the curve?

ykiki
13th June 2008, 17:41
so forsythe, and walker (he used the money line) said that they didn;t want to compete this year because they were so far behind already. So, if they join the league next year, doesn;t that put them that much further behind the curve?

Not unless they come in a few years when everyone will have to deal with a new chassis and/or engine.

ChicagocrewIRL
13th June 2008, 18:15
Paul Tracy had several offers from IRL Teams, unfortunately, they weren't the teams he was hoping for. Like some who just don't get it that they can't always get what they want anymore, he was holding out for AGR, Ganassi, Penske, N/H/L, or KV but they didn't want someone his age. They were looking for the young ones.

Marbles
13th June 2008, 18:15
I read somewhere that he isn't allowed to race open wheel until next year because of the forsythe contract.He doesn't seem to be that pissed off that he's not in the irl ,so maybe he will be back with forsythe next year.

There may be some truth to this. Whatever the deal is there seems to be no animosity. He was very gracious at Long Beach and mentioned how grateful he was to Forsythe, not once but twice, for the opportunity he had given him in Champ Car.

He's looking forward to working with Germain and thinks it's a much better opportunity for him in NASCAR than his forgettable adventure in the Busch cars. Apparently it's a better funded and established team.

CarreraGT
13th June 2008, 18:33

i heard on one of the ALMS races on SPEED that Forsythe was looking at getting into ALMS LMP2 class. doesn't look like he is going for the irl. and i think AR1 had something about that to on their rumor page.

indyracefan
13th June 2008, 20:23
...I don't envision Forsythe ever being in the ICS. It would be beneficial to the series though to have PT in a car, especially with the Canadian dates being added.

pits4me
18th June 2008, 20:27
Expect an announcement soon. TG has allowed NASCAR to sign PT as the foundation star for NASCAR-Canada.

Look for Tags and Carpentier to possibly join the grid there as regulars too.

beachbum
19th June 2008, 12:02
After Tracy's test with Germain, there was very little press about it. The one article I saw indicated it wasn't a performance test, but he was doing engine durability testing. In other words, he was just putting on miles, not looking for speed. Not exactly a tryout. The Canadian NASCAR series would probably be a good fit for him with some good competition. It would be interesting to see how he would fare against Tag and Ranger.

What seems to be missed by many fans is that sedan racing, in various forms, has always been a common step for many open wheel racers around the world. Often, it is where they go when their careers have peaked or faltered and they need something to extend their career and earn an income. Ex-F1 drivers end up in DTM and similar series (Ralf, Zanardi, etc), the Brazilian stack cars series has many ex-open wheelers (like Zonta), NASCAR has always had a group of former open wheel racers (take your pick), and now Canada has the NASCAR series with Tag and Ranger. PT would fit right in, and he could certainly use the chrome horn.

Rogelio
19th June 2008, 14:54
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-tracy-set-for-trucks-possibly-edmonton/

Looks like Walker is trying to find PT a ride for Edmonton. It is real unfortunate that the former CC series most popular driver can not get a ride. He was the staunchest supporter of the CC series and now finds himself out of a series. What a shame. If PT rides in Emonton I will certainly be watching and I hope he kicks some @ss and gets a little redemption.

The NASCAR Trucks deal is only for one race, and that is not until September. What an unfortunate way for one of AOWR most popular and exciting drivers of the last two decades to exit the racing scence. And not to mention the legitimate winner of the 2002 Indy 500. PT could have been a "bridge" for the new so-called merged series and all of the CC fans that feel alienated.

BenRoethig
19th June 2008, 17:50
Blame Forsythe for that one. He's held Paul back to the point where he had no chance at a competitive ride for 2008.

Claus Hansen
20th June 2008, 08:52
Does PT want a drive, he was not TG and ***** biggest supporter, after losing his Indy 500 win some years back !

downtowndeco
20th June 2008, 14:45
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-tracy-set-for-trucks-possibly-edmonton/

What an unfortunate way for one of AOWR most popular and exciting drivers of the last two decades to exit the racing scence. And not to mention the legitimate winner of the 2002 Indy 500. PT could have been a "bridge" for the new so-called merged series and all of the CC fans that feel alienated.

First off I'd love to see Paul in the IRL because I think he's a talented driver and quite a character. AOWR could use him.

I can't feel that sorry for most of the poor "alienated" CC fans however. They pretty much got what they deserved here. PT was the namesake & poster child for the hateful "CW" site. And when the merger was nearing completion a few months ago they cheered PT's car owner (JF) on as he drug his feet and tried to put a monkey wrench in the deal and get talks to collapse. All out of spite. If they couldn't have OWR their way they wanted to destroy it. So to heck with them. Besides. How many times over the past few years have we heard from CC fans that they would, "Never, under any circumstance watch cw's or follow any series that had TG in charge"? They weren't going to watch anyway so why bend over backwards to welcome them in? They know where the door is.

bblocker68
20th June 2008, 15:16
Bummer.......

BobGarage
20th June 2008, 15:30
why bend over backwards to welcome them in?

becuase up until February there were two OW series. Both had poor TV ratings, both had a dwindling number of fans.

In this "merger" if you don't try and merge the fans in as well as the teams etc then what is the point of merging int he first place. Without the extra fans all you've done is kill off one series and you're just left with one series with poor tv ratings and a still dwindling number of fans.

By trying to keep both sets of fans happy you are then increasing the "unififed" series fan base and hopefully increasing tv figures to boot. By not bending over backwards for the alienated fans you are just as fast killing off the merged series as you are CC.

MDS
20th June 2008, 16:31
He's working with Walker racing to get something together for Edmonton this year and they are working on a full term deal for next year as well. I'm expecting something to drop about Edmonton in the next week or two.

Their might be an annoucement of a part-time ride for the remainder of the season and a full-year deal in 2009 comming by the end of the month. I hear Monster is still interested in PT and their financial year ends June 30th. Perhaps we'll see the much welcomed news that Paul Tracy and Derrick Walker are returning to the sport with full sponsorship at Edmonton.

downtowndeco
20th June 2008, 16:38
becuase up until February there were two OW series. Both had poor TV ratings, both had a dwindling number of fans.

In this "merger" if you don't try and merge the fans in as well as the teams etc then what is the point of merging int he first place. Without the extra fans all you've done is kill off one series and you're just left with one series with poor tv ratings and a still dwindling number of fans.

By trying to keep both sets of fans happy you are then increasing the "unififed" series fan base and hopefully increasing tv figures to boot. By not bending over backwards for the alienated fans you are just as fast killing off the merged series as you are CC.

Again. I think PT is a talented driver & I would like to see him in the IRL. I'm not keeping him out. All he has to do is to find a seat like everyone else. Same for the CC fans. They're welcome to buy a ticket. They can turn on the TV & watch. No one is stopping them. All of the teams/drivers that came over from CC reported that they have been treated very well and more than fairly. But I wouldn't bend over backwards to try & keep a bunch of *******s happy when all they have is ill will for the IRL in their hearts. They made their beds, they can sleep in them.

Rogelio
20th June 2008, 17:53
He's working with Walker racing to get something together for Edmonton this year and they are working on a full term deal for next year as well. I'm expecting something to drop about Edmonton in the next week or two.

Their might be an annoucement of a part-time ride for the remainder of the season and a full-year deal in 2009 comming by the end of the month. I hear Monster is still interested in PT and their financial year ends June 30th. Perhaps we'll see the much welcomed news that Paul Tracy and Derrick Walker are returning to the sport with full sponsorship at Edmonton.

Great news! I hope that it happens.

weeflyonthewall
20th June 2008, 20:13
Blame Forsythe for that one. He's held Paul back to the point where he had no chance at a competitive ride for 2008.

Assuming there was something available? An IRL welcome mat for PT doesn't exist.

weeflyonthewall
20th June 2008, 20:17

Sad but true BG. Die hard Ovalites don't buy this. They look at the merger as a WIN for TG and CC fans, teams, drivers, support personnel, supplies, Cosworth, Panoz DP01, etc. be dammed.

weeflyonthewall
20th June 2008, 20:22
Again. I think PT is a talented driver & I would like to see him in the IRL. I'm not keeping him out. All he has to do is to find a seat like everyone else. Same for the CC fans. They're welcome to buy a ticket. They can turn on the TV & watch. No one is stopping them. All of the teams/drivers that came over from CC reported that they have been treated very well and more than fairly. But I wouldn't bend over backwards to try & keep a bunch of *******s happy when all they have is ill will for the IRL in their hearts. They made their beds, they can sleep in them.

Who asking you to bend over backwards? The case for a true merger in business is to take the best both sides have to offer and move forward. Not force-feed everyone your (or TG's) misguided idea of what's best for OW. Surfers, Edmonton and Toronto should have been a top priority, not an afterthought. Same for Cleveland and Houston. All five far more attractive a venue than some x-corn field in Iowa. Great to see Penske resurrect Belle isle.

downtowndeco
20th June 2008, 21:00
Who asking you to bend over backwards? The case for a true merger in business is to take the best both sides have to offer and move forward. Not force-feed everyone your (or TG's) misguided idea of what's best for OW. Surfers, Edmonton and Toronto should have been a top priority, not an afterthought. Same for Cleveland and Houston. All five far more attractive a venue than some x-corn field in Iowa. Great to see Penske resurrect Belle isle.

The main problem that I have with your scenario is that you seem to be under the delusion that there was some sort of "merger" of equals. There was no such merger. CC went out of business due to poor management. It went BK TWICE. By the time it went BK the second time they didn't have anything of value to bargin with. Zero share ratings on pay TV. No name (as far as the general public was concerned) euro ride buyers. Failed or failing events (San Jose, Phoenix, Las Vegas & even Edmonton, which was a hairs breath away from being cancelled this year anyway). No marquee event.

The IRL was kind enough to try & help out the teams that wanted to make the transition. They saved the events they could considering such short notice. If you want to blame anyone for losing any CC events blame CC management, who played a game of chicken with the clock and lost.

One last time. It would be great to see PT in the IRL. He would be an asset to the series. But he isn't worth what he was getting in CC. CC NEEDED him at almost any cost. The IRL does not.

weeflyonthewall
20th June 2008, 23:58
The main problem that I have with your scenario is that you seem to be under the delusion that there was some sort of "merger" of equals. There was no such merger. CC went out of business due to poor management. It went BK TWICE. By the time it went BK the second time they didn't have anything of value to bargin with. Zero share ratings on pay TV. No name (as far as the general public was concerned) euro ride buyers. Failed or failing events (San Jose, Phoenix, Las Vegas & even Edmonton, which was a hairs breath away from being cancelled this year anyway). No marquee event.

The IRL was kind enough to try & help out the teams that wanted to make the transition. They saved the events they could considering such short notice. If you want to blame anyone for losing any CC events blame CC management, who played a game of chicken with the clock and lost.

One last time. It would be great to see PT in the IRL. He would be an asset to the series. But he isn't worth what he was getting in CC. CC NEEDED him at almost any cost. The IRL does not.

Who said anything about a "merger" of equals? Are you are headed down that delusional split path again? Fact: Each series had its share of strengths and weaknesses. Neither had a Title sponsor or associate sponsor support of any significance. While CC's marquee events like Long Beach, Surfers, Toronto, Cleveland, Edmonton, were on the rebound, Indy was still on the same life support as Portland. Both series were headed into oblivion prior to KK and TG working out "a plan." A plan that didn't include Paul Tracy or Derrick Walker. The subject of this threads debate. . Relive the split on your own time, note here. Please.......

downtowndeco
21st June 2008, 00:54
Who said anything about a "merger" of equals? Are you are headed down that delusional split path again? Fact: Each series had its share of strengths and weaknesses. Neither had a Title sponsor or associate sponsor support of any significance. While CC's marquee events like Long Beach, Surfers, Toronto, Cleveland, Edmonton, were on the rebound, Indy was still on the same life support as Portland. Both series were headed into oblivion prior to KK and TG working out "a plan." A plan that didn't include Paul Tracy or Derrick Walker. The subject of this threads debate. . Relive the split on your own time, note here. Please.......

When you've been appointed mod then you can dictate to me what is appropriate or not. The very fact that you compared Indy to Portland tells me all I need to know about where your sense of reality lies.

!!WALDO!!
21st June 2008, 01:16
When you've been appointed mod then you can dictate to me what is appropriate or not. The very fact that you compared Indy to Portland tells me all I need to know about where your sense of reality lies.

Plus races on the rebound. I lost a glass of water over that.

!!WALDO!!
21st June 2008, 03:42
Both series were headed into oblivion prior to KK and TG working out "a plan." A plan that didn't include Paul Tracy or Derrick Walker.

Weefly is correct however about the last few exchanges being completely off the thread's topic, which is "Where's PT".

Back on please.

I thought we covered the fact that Paul Tracy burned the bridges big time.

I think that line is not true and can cause anger in people that see that as inflaming the issue.

Of course you may think so but I would like to see the plan that picked on Walker and Tracy.

garyshell
23rd June 2008, 22:49

You are never going to realize that the split is over are you? Nor are you ever going to be able to realize that something good said about anything related to CART is not automatically a slam on the IRL. The war is over, time to get used to that fact.

Gary

garyshell
23rd June 2008, 22:53

Hmmm, I don't remember Tony George saying anything like this when HE announced the re-unification. So what gives you the authority to dictate that these were the terms of peace?

Gary

pits4me
24th June 2008, 01:12
I thought we covered the fact that Paul Tracy burned the bridges big time.

I think that line is not true and can cause anger in people that see that as inflaming the issue.

Of course you may think so but I would like to see the plan that picked on Walker and Tracy.

The bridge was burned at Indy robbing him of a win in 2002. There will always be the issue of whether the caution flag was timed to stop a Champ Car driver beating the IRL regulars.

Amazing that TG and Honda managed to lure Kim Green to his side after PT moved to FCR.

coogmaster
24th June 2008, 14:53
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080623/SPORTS0107/806230368/1052/SPORTS01

For those of you who are still skeptical...

Ideally, if Walker could put something together for both Tracy and Alex Tagliani, and get both drivers in full time for next year, that would be more than we could all wish for...

pits4me
27th June 2008, 05:54
This isn't a missionary project for DW. There has to be a revenue stream to make it happen.