PDA

View Full Version : Paul Newman has lung cancer

RacinRandy
10th June 2008, 18:06
This is a sad news for someone who has done so much for racing and charties.

http://www.amny.com/entertainment/movies/ny-etnewman0610,0,7141451.story?track=rss

Alfa Fan
10th June 2008, 18:13
Would explain why he's not been at any IRL events (apart from the obvious). Sad to hear such news about someone so obviously in love with racing. :(

Nikki Katz
10th June 2008, 18:43
That's really sad, I hope he's ok but from that it doesn't sound good :(

BobGarage
10th June 2008, 19:44
very sad news. :(

the story has been circulating for a month or two now, I was reading else where a few weeks ago how Newman wanted this kept quiet but a fellow patient at the clinic he's being treated at spotted him and notified the press.

16&Gtown
10th June 2008, 20:06
O well

maxmach
10th June 2008, 20:41
Kind of weird, just watched Butch and Sundance last night. I just hope that it goes as well as it can. For someone who has supported so many causes, much less who loves racing....damn.

cartpix
10th June 2008, 23:11
NOTHING in that article confirms he has lung cancer or any other form of cancer. He may have cancer, but I don't see how ANY of you can pull it out of that article. Unless, of course, they changed the definition of speculation & didn't tell me.

Jeff

ykiki
11th June 2008, 01:27
Well, the only thing I saw in that article was a denial.

DrDomm
11th June 2008, 14:47
O well

Hmmm. Not the usual response when you hear that someone, especially someone who's so respected in the racing community, may have cancer.

dataman1
11th June 2008, 16:41
Maybe "16 & Gtown" is really TG. He and PN have never seemed to get along.

All my best wishes and prayers are going to Paul.

champcarray
11th June 2008, 17:05
From the Associated Press on 6/11/08:

NEW HAVEN, Conn. - A longtime neighbor and business partner of Paul Newman has told The Associated Press the 83-year-old actor is battling cancer.

Writer A.E. Hotchner, who partnered with Newman to start Newman's Own salad dressing company in the 1980s, says Newman told him about the disease about 18 months ago. He doesn't say what kind of cancer.

Concerns about Newman's health have been circulating for months. Last month, officials at Connecticut's Westport Country Playhouse cited unspecified health issues when they announced that Newman wouldn't direct "Of Mice and Men" this fall.

In response to reports of Newman's illness, the actor's spokesman issued a statement Tuesday saying that Newman is "doing nicely." The statement doesn't specifically address cancer.

champcarray
11th June 2008, 17:08
As a CT resident, Lime Rock attendee, and champ car fan, Paul Newman has loomed large in my life. I am hoping for the best for Paul, his wife, and family.

garyshell
11th June 2008, 17:22
O well

Classy. Real classy. If that is how you feel, you just as easily could have shown some respect and said nothing.

Gary

F1boat
11th June 2008, 17:43
I hope that he will be able to beat the illness. The man is a fighter. But it is truly sad to hear this... :(

Scheckterfan54
11th June 2008, 17:56
O well

What an *****.

16&Gtown
11th June 2008, 18:16
What an *****.

Hey thats name calling. INFRACTION INFRACTION

Scheckterfan54
11th June 2008, 19:02
Hey thats name calling. INFRACTION INFRACTION

Not if its fact...*****.

16&Gtown
11th June 2008, 19:41
Not if its fact....

Well played sir, but i do recall sitting at a certain Mcdonalds with a certain someone (you) and that certain someone saying "I hope that old **** chokes on his own dressing... dumdumdum

BobGarage
11th June 2008, 19:43
congratulations to both of you for trashing this thread. Well done! :rolleyes:

Henry Cutts
11th June 2008, 22:55
Its a shame that some respect cannot be shown for a big supporter of AOW, give him some support in this difficult time!

Rex Monaco
12th June 2008, 19:23
LOS ANGELES, Calif. --
Paul Newman’s friend and business partner, A.E. Hotchner, is denying a report, which quotes him telling the Associated Press that the actor is fighting cancer.

“I saw him last week and he seemed fine,” Hotchner told Access Hollywood exclusively. “I have no knowledge of any diagnosis or doctors.”

Earlier today, the AP reported that Hotchner confirmed Newman was battling cancer and was currently undergoing treatment.

“I know that it’s a form of cancer,” the AP quoted Hotchner as saying. “It’s a form of cancer and he’s dealing with it.”

The longtime friend and business partner of Newman’s told Access the quotes are incorrect.

“The AP misquoted me. I have no knowledge of Mr. Newman being treated for any illness,” Hotchner said.

In addition to starting Newman’s Own salad dressing company, Newman and Hotchner founded The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp, which gives more than 1,000 children with cancer and other serious illnesses and conditions the chance to go to summer camp every year.

When contacted by Access Hollywood, the Associated Press said, “We stand by our story.”

http://www.accesshollywood.com/article/9880/access-exclusive-newman-friend-ap-misquoted-me-no-knowledge-of-any-diagnosis/

champcarray
13th June 2008, 17:32
I don't know which story to believe, so I'll continue to hope for the best for Mr. Newman.

geek49203
15th June 2008, 03:41
I talked to Paul at Milwaukee, where he was moving around as well as anyone half his age (walking around, climbing over pit walls, etc). His one-word response when I asked him how he was doing was a very loud, emphatic "FINE." It wasn't said in anger, but as a loud statement of fact.

I suspect that Paul is undergoing treatments. I also suspect that he's got one bad week after the treatments, two more okay-ish weeks, and is pretty healthy the week before the next treatment. He certainly has lost weight.

Anyone who's been around cancer patients these days knows that many people live w/ chemo for longish periods of time when their condition is "terminal". My mother in law was given weeks, and lived for almost 2 years w/ monthly chemo treatments (the first year was pretty good). Former Presidential Press Secretary (and former FOX news guy) Tony Snow is another example of someone who lives w/ "terminal" cancer with the help of chemo.

Obviously no one is going public w/ the exact diagnosis or prognosis... but I'm saying that even if the diagnosis was bad, chemo can almost hold cancer to a stalemate.

16&Gtown
16th June 2008, 20:10
once he's dead do you think he will leave a great deal to the team? Will it still be NewmanHaas as a legacy.

dataman1
16th June 2008, 21:25
once he's dead do you think he will leave a great deal to the team? Will it still be NewmanHaas as a legacy.

I would bet that he does not leave much to the team. He has been involved in humanitarian efforts that are much more worthy so I suspect he will see to those after first taking care of his wife and family.

Hoss Ghoul
19th June 2008, 16:14
Caught "Slapshot" on cable the other night. Paul Newman is a legend, not only in acting, but racing as well...top it off with his charities...a life fully lived, a great man. Good luck, god bless.

champcarray
19th June 2008, 18:14
I caught an interview with PN years ago in which he made a comment to the effect that "Slapshot" was probably his greatest performance ever: He had to make viewers believe he was a hockey player. And he did!

AAReagles
20th June 2008, 19:56
... Paul Newman is a legend, not only in acting, but racing as well...top it off with his charities...a life fully lived, a great man. Good luck, god bless.
:up: Well said.

If I feel sad for anybody (besides the family of course), it's the majority of us folks as long as we keep losing high quality-caliber folks like Newman, Princess Diana, Audrey Hepburn, Heston, Bob Hope and so on...

Folks who set the REAL example of role models on this planet, though that was not their intent when becoming involved in charities/humanitarian causes.

16&Gtown
1st October 2008, 18:58
a