PDA

View Full Version : Driver of the day.

Willard67
8th June 2008, 20:10
Well, the subject speaks for itself really :D .

Kubica gets my vote, no questions asked about that. Then maybe Glock for holding off Massa, or is it Massa for the smart pass on Rubens and Kovy on turn ten?

Ahhh, I dunno! Discuss!

BDunnell
8th June 2008, 20:12
Kubica. But Massa certainly gets the vote for 'move of the day'.

Shifter
8th June 2008, 20:14
Kubica for running hard for 7 laps to gap Heidfeld. DC and Massa must deserve honorable mention.

markabilly
8th June 2008, 20:15
Kube

donKey jote
8th June 2008, 20:15
Heidfeld, for his P8 to should have been P1
And for obeying team orders without publicly moaning about it :p :

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

gloomyDAY
8th June 2008, 20:18
Kubica, obviously.

Massa did very well despite the pit error.

VkmSpouge
8th June 2008, 20:18
Robert Kubica clearly the best performance of the day. David Coulthard also did exceedingly well to get a great third place. Timo Glock also deserves a mention for his fine 4th.

janneppi
8th June 2008, 20:21
Timo Glock also deserves a mention for his fine 4th.

I doubt Trulli will be happy about Glock's driving, his error effectively cost Jarno a place in the last laps.

DC seemed to do well, maybe this will be his year after all. ;)

F1boat
8th June 2008, 20:44
Kubica, then David!

gloomyDAY
8th June 2008, 20:56
Timo Glock also deserves a mention for his fine 4th.I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Jarno knocks his teeth out.

SparkyKate
8th June 2008, 21:00
Kubica, great driver, deserved it, well done to BMW too!

Kimi comes second for not knocking Hamilton out!

pettersolberg29
8th June 2008, 21:11
Surely Heidfeld deserves more votes?

Did well from P8 to P1, then let Kubica overtake him and drove sensibly to record a magnificent result for the team.

Knock-on
8th June 2008, 21:46
DotD is obvious. Kube is turning into out to be very special. I can see a titanic battle between him and Hamilton over the next few years.

Special mention for DC. I'm not a fan of his but today he got a break and grabbed it with both hands. Should give him a real confidence boost.

Nikki Katz
8th June 2008, 21:47
Kubica didn't put a wheel wrong al day, but he was probably no better than he usually is. Massa was certainly the most entertaining so he'd probably get my vote.

ioan
8th June 2008, 22:28
Heidfeld, for his P8 to should have been P1
And for obeying team orders without publicly moaning about it :p :

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

I was going to say the same, his fastest lap is faster than Kubica's yet he let him through at the first try and than never showed the same fast pace again. This must have came with a new contract for him.

ioan
8th June 2008, 22:30
I doubt Trulli will be happy about Glock's driving, his error effectively cost Jarno a place in the last laps.

Not the last lap, the 4th lap before the end!

ioan
8th June 2008, 22:31
Kubica didn't put a wheel wrong al day, but he was probably no better than he usually is. Massa was certainly the most entertaining so he'd probably get my vote.

I'll go with Felipe too, he was so Schumacheresque! A pitty for that botched pitstop and the no good strategy (again).

jens
8th June 2008, 22:36
Several candidates as usual.

Kubica - IMO the best driver of the season this season. He's the only one, who has been both consistently quick and hasn't made stupidities.
Heidfeld deserves praise! His pace after passing Barrichello was very good, also considering the one-stop strategy. He is gradually climbing out of the hole, where he has dropped this season.
Massa - fantastic and aggressive drive through the field. :up:
DC seemed to keep good pace throughout the race too.
Impressed by Vettel too.

About Toyota guys I don't know, how much raw pace they did have, but at least they kept out of trouble and drove consistent laptimes.

Barrichello was on course for a better result, but crucially made a mistake and let the Toyotas by, which takes the mark down. In retrospect I think Barrichello's qualifying effort was truly awesome as he was a moving roadblock throughout the whole race and several guys, who had qualified behind him, were faster in the race (heck, even Vettel was at the gearbox of RB at the end of the race). So I think in quali Rubens really put the car higher on the grid than it deserved, hence struggled in the race, but at least collected something.

yodasarmpit
8th June 2008, 22:40
Got to be DC, getting a Red Bull to 3rd is a higher achievement than getting a BMW to 1st by a long way.

mirek01
8th June 2008, 22:42
Hamilton was driver of the day, thanks to him Kubica could win it .Seriously Kubica, Heidfeld, DC ,Massa , Vettel good drive today from those guys.

ShiftingGears
9th June 2008, 01:10
Several candidates as usual.

Kubica - IMO the best driver of the season this season. He's the only one, who has been both consistently quick and hasn't made stupidities.
Heidfeld deserves praise! His pace after passing Barrichello was very good, also considering the one-stop strategy. He is gradually climbing out of the hole, where he has dropped this season.

Kubica really has been excellent this season. Despite Heidfeld coming through the field well from where he started he seemed pretty gutted about Kubica beating him.

aryan
9th June 2008, 02:16
Kubica really has been excellent this season. Despite Heidfeld coming through the field well from where he started he seemed pretty gutted about Kubica beating him.

He said in the conference: "with the two of us being on different strategies... let's just say I didn't make life difficult for him [Kubica]".

He did well for the team, if he had kep Kubica behind, he would have won the race, cost BMW valuable points, and probably also cost himself his next year's contract. He made a very logical decision to let Robert pass, and I'm sure in the process bought his team's respect.

The fact remains though, that Nick now has about 150 GP starts, and no wins. He is not young anymore, he is 31 or 32, and I'm sure is desperate for that first win.

That explains his contradictory body language on the stage.

harvick#1
9th June 2008, 02:57
Kubica, drove to near perfection today

(HM)
Massa, even after a disaster in the pits with the fuel, he came charging back to 5th, and the pass on Rubens and Hekkie was fantastic)
Vettel, starting in the pits and still coming in 8th, hes a champion in the making once he gets a better ride.
Glock who even though had a bad screwup with a handful of laps left held Massa at bay to get 4th

wmcot
9th June 2008, 06:29
Kubica for 2 reasons:

1. The ability to see a red light.
2. Driving a flawless race and being on pace all weekend.

janneppi
9th June 2008, 06:49
Not the last lap, the 4th lap before the end!
which is why I wrote in the last laps, not in the last lap

Ranger
9th June 2008, 08:24
Kubica
Massa
Heidfeld
DC
Vettel

Storm
9th June 2008, 08:53
Massa had a good race after Ferrari fluffed it again in the pits/strategy but for the sheer moment of winning his first race and driving superbly it has to be Robert Kubica :)

ArrowsFA1
9th June 2008, 09:02
Kubica - faultless :up:

Heidfeld also raced strongly and did a great job to secure the BMW 1-2.

DC gave a good answer to his critics.

Nakajima & Barrichello deserve an honourable mention.

Massa great pass, but why was he battling for minor points?

Piquet - poor again, saved only by his team-mate spinning out as well.

Hamilton - donkey of the day.

ioan
9th June 2008, 11:00
Massa great pass, but why was he battling for minor points?

Because he got some idiots in his team?!
As I said in the other thread (overtaking move of the year) some people will never acknowledge how good he really is, even when it is obvious, instead they will come with questions like "but why was he battling for minor points?", when it isn't his fault at all. :rolleyes:

See jens, I told you! ;)

Storm
9th June 2008, 11:12
ioan, I am no fan of Massa but the last 2/3 races he has shown some very good racing qualities and atleast endeared him (to me)..I may not become his fan overnight but surely I like it when people show they are determined to fight no matter how bad the car/strategy/position in race. (like Alonso)

I agree totally that Ferrari have stuffed his chances in 2 races now...with the bad strategy once and now with faulty fuel rig (not really anybody's mistake except the manufacturer of those rigs unless it was error on the fueller's part)

So I do agree that Massa is showing more maturity at the same time showing his speed (which isn't contested actually, but that he lacks some race skills and makes mistakes often which he has removed in the past few races)

ArrowsFA1
9th June 2008, 11:12
As I said in the other thread (overtaking move of the year) some people will never acknowledge how good he really is, even when it is obvious, instead they will come with questions like "but why was he battling for minor points?", when it isn't his fault at all. :rolleyes:

See jens, I told you! ;)
ioan, it's a question that I didn't know the answer to. That's why there was a question mark. "Idiots in his team" doesn't help me, and if you'd read the other thread you mention you will see my comments about Massa's pass.

Instead of bashing, how about discussing :rolleyes:

jens
9th June 2008, 11:26

See jens, I told you! ;)

:laugh:

I think after Turkish GP I wrote somewhere that if Massa performs well in Monaco and Canada, many people would be ready to change their opinions about him. It looks like he would have needed a race win from both circuits to change it quicker! But I have a feeling that at least it has changed a bit.

For Massa it seems really hard to prove himself as a top driver in the eyes of F1 fans, probably something to do with the legacy of his past (got beaten by Heidfeld and Fisi, also struggled at the start of '06). A driver, who impresses straightaway (Hamilton), gets also a good reputation straightaway and finds it easier to keep it even after mistakes.

It has often looked so that the capabilites of a driver are about clear at least after 2-3 seasons and if a driver isn't rated as a potential star by then (like Rosberg or Vettel are highly rated now), then it's expected that this driver will be average for the rest of his career. No-one rated Massa close to a top-tier back in 2005. But every human being is a different person and it seems Massa has been capable of turning himself around in a later phase of his career. Reminds me a bit of Mansell to be honest. How many would have believed during his Lotus days that he would ever become a WDC contender? But at the end of his career he was quite a highly rated driver, from what I guess if Massa continues to impress, then folks can't continue denying his skills forever.

ioan
9th June 2008, 11:47
ioan, it's a question that I didn't know the answer to. That's why there was a question mark. "Idiots in his team" doesn't help me, and if you'd read the other thread you mention you will see my comments about Massa's pass.

Instead of bashing, how about discussing :rolleyes:

Did you watch the race?
If yes that you would have seen he pitted twice in 2 consecutive laps, and that sent him to the very back of the grid.

The fuel rig malfunctioned, however the team strategists went with the wrong conservative strategy.
I don't get them, in Monaco they went with a wild one fueling him to the end at his first stop, here they went with a very conservative one keeping him on 2 stops when he was the last one.

How is he supposed to do any better than he did yesterday when his strategists keep screwing him every time something unusual happens. Why is that BMW always have the right strategy in unusual conditions?!

ArrowsFA1
9th June 2008, 11:54
Did you watch the race?
If yes that you would have seen he pitted twice in 2 consecutive laps, and that sent him to the very back of the grid.
Thanks, that's answered the question I asked. I missed the explaination about the fuel rig problem swtiching between ITV & 5Live commentary, so obviously that explains how he ended up where he did.

Garry Walker
9th June 2008, 12:45
I'll go with Felipe too, he was so Schumacheresque! A pitty for that botched pitstop and the no good strategy (again).

What a surprise :rotflmao:

I thought this was quite a dissapointing race from Massa, certainly one of his worst this year. Why?
1) In qualy he was clearly slower than Kimi
2) In race Kimi put times that Massa was never able to get anywhere close to, even with free track and little fuel.

Schumacheresque it was not at all. His pace was pretty dissapointing, even against the Toyotas at the end.

I also don`t understand why you say his strategy men screwed him, I think it is pretty obvious Ferraris fuel tank is not big enough for one stopper at Canada from the lap Massa had his fuel from.

My pick: Kubica.

Robinho
9th June 2008, 12:58
Kubica has to have it, he did everything he needed to when presented with a chance to win a race - great job.

Massa had a great drive too, perhaps drive of the day, if not driver of the day?

DC being in the right place to capitalise on the chance of a podium and nursing home a sick car

ShiftingGears
9th June 2008, 13:10
Massa had a great drive too, perhaps drive of the day, if not driver of the day?

Kovalainen and Massa were pretty much invisible for the first half of the race. They both really should have been higher, and if not for his superb pass, probably would not have been mentioned. Would you agree?

ioan
9th June 2008, 13:11
I also don`t understand why you say his strategy men screwed him,

I agree, that's your problem, you just don't understand.

ioan
9th June 2008, 13:13
Kovalainen and Massa were pretty much invisible for the first half of the race. They both really should have been higher, and if not for his superb pass, probably would not have been mentioned. Would you agree?

No, Massa went from dead last (not his fault) to 4th and than again from 7th to 5th within a couple laps.

Kovalainen, however was totally lost in yesterdays race.

ShiftingGears
9th June 2008, 13:20
No, Massa went from dead last (not his fault) to 4th and than again from 7th to 5th within a couple laps.

What I meant was that even before he was dead last he didn't appear to be making any in-roads from his starting position. Certainly lower than I expected.

jens
9th June 2008, 13:22

Massa was invisible, because he made his second stop exactly when safety car pulled into the pits and Massa dropped way behind, into last position almost 20 seconds behind the driver ahead of him. Surely he was "invisible" as he had a lot of catching to do before he actually got the opportunity to start overtaking!

Garry Walker
9th June 2008, 13:24
I agree, that's your problem, you just don't understand.

So explain it to me. The fuel rig problem was not their fault and fuel tank was not big enough for 1 stopper.
So what should they have done, tell me.

ioan
9th June 2008, 13:33
What I meant was that even before he was dead last he didn't appear to be making any in-roads from his starting position. Certainly lower than I expected.

No one was doing it, or did I miss any of the top drivers passing each other in the first 20 laps?!

ShiftingGears
9th June 2008, 13:40
No one was doing it, or did I miss any of the top drivers passing each other in the first 20 laps?!

He wasn't constantly swarming over the back of Rosberg or Alonso, or really looking like he was going to make a pass. In-roads do not necessarily mean passing manuvers.

HenryM
9th June 2008, 13:45
What a surprise :rotflmao:

I thought this was quite a dissapointing race from Massa, certainly one of his worst this year. Why?
1) In qualy he was clearly slower than Kimi
2) In race Kimi put times that Massa was never able to get anywhere close to, even with free track and little fuel.

Schumacheresque it was not at all. His pace was pretty dissapointing, even against the Toyotas at the end.

I also don`t understand why you say his strategy men screwed him, I think it is pretty obvious Ferraris fuel tank is not big enough for one stopper at Canada from the lap Massa had his fuel from.

My pick: Kubica.

massa made 3 stops, in the first stop (at the same time as kimi and hamilton stopped) ferrari "forgot" to refuel him, so he needed to come back one more time for the pits in the next lap, and that put him in the last position, many seconds away from other cars (24 seconds lost)... obviously he was not as fast as kimi and hamilton, but without this "mistake" he probably would end at least in third I think, and now would be only 2 points after kubica, and if he maneged to finish in second, both would have 42 points... maybe could win the race.
driver of the day!? kubica for sure.

Garry Walker
9th June 2008, 13:51
massa made 3 stops, in the first stop (at the same time as kimi and hamilton stopped) ferrari "forgot" to refuel him, so he needed to come back one more time for the pits in the next lap, and that put him in the last position, many seconds away from other cars (24 seconds lost)... obviously he was not as fast as kimi and hamilton, but without this "mistake" he probably would end at least in third I think, and now would be only 2 points after kubica, and if he maneged to finish in second, both would have 42 points... maybe could win the race.
driver of the day!? kubica for sure.

Ferrari didn`t forget to refuel, the fuel rig simply didn`t work. It has happened before.

As expected, Ioan has not been able to answer my question

ioan
9th June 2008, 14:47

There is no use to do it, trying to discuss with you its like talking to the walls, we all know what you think about the fellow forum members and how you dismiss them.

elinagr
9th June 2008, 16:21
Timo Glock & David...

HenryM
9th June 2008, 16:43
Ferrari didn`t forget to refuel, the fuel rig simply didn`t work. It has happened before.

that's why I put ""

aryan
9th June 2008, 21:39
:laugh:

I think after Turkish GP I wrote somewhere that if Massa performs well in Monaco and Canada, many people would be ready to change their opinions about him. It looks like he would have needed a race win from both circuits to change it quicker! But I have a feeling that at least it has changed a bit.

Massa's reputation has increased tremendously in the past couple of months. As someone who isn't his fan, I acknowledge his achievements in the past 5 races.

People's impression of a driver takes more than a couple of races change. There is still a big question mark in my mind over Massa, but I am far from dismissing him now, and am eagerly paying attention to him.

stevie_gerrard
10th June 2008, 01:12
My vote goes for Rubens, who was much much quicker than team-mate button for the entire weekend, and then drove his heart out and was unfortunate to end up finishing only in 7th when it could easily have been 4th. Kinda shows Button up a bit as well, who i honestly thought had a terrible weekend.

I am genuinely pleased for both kubica and heidfeld for getting BMW to the top step on the podium finally as well, they both worked extremely hard and did a super job. :up:

Garry Walker
10th June 2008, 09:28
There is no use to do it, trying to discuss with you its like talking to the walls, we all know what you think about the fellow forum members and how you dismiss them.

Actually, you are the one from us who has decided to insult the other in this thread.

I will take seriously posts which people are able to give proof to, so far I fail to see how Ferrari screwed Massa with their strategy.

Funny how in your opinion Heidfeld was screwed by BMW when they gave him a 1 stop strategy and Ferrari screwed Massa when they gave him a 2 stop strategy (+1 extra pitstop due to malfunction). Try to explain that to me, try to explain it to an idiot like me.

ioan
10th June 2008, 09:41
Funny how in your opinion Heidfeld was screwed by BMW when they gave him a 1 stop strategy and Ferrari screwed Massa when they gave him a 2 stop strategy (+1 extra pitstop due to malfunction). Try to explain that to me, try to explain it to an idiot like me.

You miss the fact that Heidfeld made his pit stop as race leader and was in front of Kubica after 1 pit stop each, so for him a 2 stopper was the way to go for the win, filling him up to the end only made him slower than Kubica, but not than the rest of the field. Would he have been on a 2 stopper he would have won it because as you can se from the lap times he was able to do better lap times than the Pole when on a normal fuel load.

Massa on the other hand had his chances cut down when he had to return to the pits after not getting any fuel the first time around, he was thus dead last and the 2 stops strategy only helped him gain places in the first instance jsut to lose them because the extra pit stop with 10+ laps to go.
They should have filled him to the end and he would have had a better chance for the podium.

The hole in your logic was that you didn't see that Heidfeld pitted from the front while the race was on while Massa pitted from the the midpack during SC.

Garry Walker
10th June 2008, 10:04
You miss the fact that Heidfeld made his pit stop as race leader and was in front of Kubica after 1 pit stop each, so for him a 2 stopper was the way to go for the win, filling him up to the end only made him slower than Kubica, but not than the rest of the field. Would he have been on a 2 stopper he would have won it because as you can se from the lap times he was able to do better lap times than the Pole when on a normal fuel load.
Point out those laptimes to me please. Funny how when Kubica pitted, Heidfeld was already around 20 seconds behind him.

Massa on the other hand had his chances cut down when he had to return to the pits after not getting any fuel the first time around, he was thus dead last and the 2 stops strategy only helped him gain places in the first instance jsut to lose them because the extra pit stop with 10+ laps to go.
They should have filled him to the end and he would have had a better chance for the podium.
The hole in your logic is that Ferraris fuel tank was not big enough to do 49 racing laps.
Look, the most one car did before pitting at canada was 42 laps and even out of those laps, quite a few were during SC. Massa would have needed to do 49 racing laps on SS tyres. Ferrari simply doesn`t have the fuel tank to do such a stint. motorsport aktuell recently actually wrote about Ferrari having quite a small fuel tank compared to other teams. To have a huge fuel tank would be to compromise your car in other areas and it is simply not worth it these days, with these qualy rules.

The hole in your logic was that you didn't see that Heidfeld pitted from the front while the race was on while Massa pitted from the the midpack during SC.
Actually, I did see that. Whether BMWs decision to put Heidfeld on such a fuel load was right or wrong, It was wrong in hindsight, but it is easy being smart now.
But I am also sure they expected him to show better pace on such a load, take a look at what DC in a much inferior car was able to show with the same fuel load.
Heidfelds pace with the big fuel load was a clear dissapointment, for some reason.

ioan
10th June 2008, 11:31
Look, the most one car did before pitting at canada was 42 laps and even out of those laps, quite a few were during SC. Massa would have needed to do 49 racing laps on SS tyres. Ferrari simply doesn`t have the fuel tank to do such a stint. motorsport aktuell recently actually wrote about Ferrari having quite a small fuel tank compared to other teams. To have a huge fuel tank would be to compromise your car in other areas and it is simply not worth it these days, with these qualy rules.

They managed to put him on a 1 stopper in Monaco and suddenly they can't do it Canada?! No one knows how big the fuel tanks are, other than the Ferrari team.

Knock-on
10th June 2008, 11:48
Point out those laptimes to me please. Funny how when Kubica pitted, Heidfeld was already around 20 seconds behind him.

The hole in your logic is that Ferraris fuel tank was not big enough to do 49 racing laps.

Actually, I did see that. Whether BMWs decision to put Heidfeld on such a fuel load was right or wrong, It was wrong in hindsight, but it is easy being smart now.
But I am also sure they expected him to show better pace on such a load, take a look at what DC in a much inferior car was able to show with the same fuel load.
Heidfelds pace with the big fuel load was a clear dissapointment, for some reason.

Looks perfectly resonable and logical to me. :up:

jens
10th June 2008, 12:49
Putting Heidfeld on a 1-stop strategy was a sensible decision, because in Canada the risk of a safety car is always high and with a late second stop his race could have been ruined. But with a 1-stopper the worst result, he could achieve, was P2, while with the help of a SC (which would have caught out those, who hadn't stopped by then), he could have won.

Remember Heidfeld's Monaco strategy in 2007. One and only stop on lap 31 out of 78. In normal conditions a strange strategy (with which he dropped behind Kubica in that race too), but keeping in mind the possibility of a SC the strategy was "safe".

ioan
10th June 2008, 13:14
Putting Heidfeld on a 1-stop strategy was a sensible decision, because in Canada the risk of a safety car is always high and with a late second stop his race could have been ruined. But with a 1-stopper the worst result, he could achieve, was P2, while with the help of a SC (which would have caught out those, who hadn't stopped by then), he could have won.

Remember Heidfeld's Monaco strategy in 2007. One and only stop on lap 31 out of 78. In normal conditions a strange strategy (with which he dropped behind Kubica in that race too), but keeping in mind the possibility of a SC the strategy was "safe".

To base your strategy on guesses is the worst thing you can do. Correctly eacting to the situation at hand is what is needed. That's what Ferrari did for a decade (with Brawn and Todt as masterminds), but they aren't on top of the game either at the moment.

jens
10th June 2008, 13:30
To base your strategy on guesses is the worst thing you can do. Correctly eacting to the situation at hand is what is needed. That's what Ferrari did for a decade (with Brawn and Todt as masterminds), but they aren't on top of the game either at the moment.

During Brawn-Todt days there were different SC rules. At the moment even the most "genius" strategy can be ruined, then it wasn't the case.

As I said, the worst NH could have achieved with a 1-stopper, was P2. It isn't bad, is it? I don't think you can get that far up with an awful strategy. However, with a 2-stopper, the worst result could have been no points. Thanks to the current rules the strategy is alas needed to be based on guesses... Recall the end of the race. After Fisichella had spun (with a bit less than 20 laps to go), there were yellow flags and four cars were brought in immediately (Massa, Kovalainen, Webber and... was it Rosberg?) due to the possibility of a SC. I guess they could have stayed out for longer to increase the gap and put themselves into a better position, but they weren't willing to take the risk. SC rules ruin racing and strategies.

Garry Walker
11th June 2008, 22:15
They managed to put him on a 1 stopper in Monaco and suddenly they can't do it Canada?! No one knows how big the fuel tanks are, other than the Ferrari team.

1) Monaco is the shortest track in F1, by far.
2) It was wet (fuel useage somewhat smaller).
3) It is the track that has the smallest fuel consumption in F1.

Massa did 33 and 43 laps in his stints at Monaco. He would have needed to do 49 laps at a much longer and more fuel taking track at Canada. Seems quite impossible.

Ferrari would be wasting their car if they had a fuel tank that could do so many laps in the current f1 format as in most cases they would never need such a tactic and it would have severe penalty in car design. I don`t think they are quite that stupid.

truefan72
11th June 2008, 23:33
1) Monaco is the shortest track in F1, by far.
2) It was wet (fuel useage somewhat smaller).
3) It is the track that has the smallest fuel consumption in F1.

Massa did 33 and 43 laps in his stints at Monaco. He would have needed to do 49 laps at a much longer and more fuel taking track at Canada. Seems quite impossible.

Ferrari would be wasting their car if they had a fuel tank that could do so many laps in the current f1 format as in most cases they would never need such a tactic and it would have severe penalty in car design. I don`t think they are quite that stupid.

as much as it pains me, I do have to agree with G.Walkers logic and description here ioan. While it may be arguable as to BMW's strategy with Heidfeld ( even though I'm leaning towards Garry's explanation that heidefeld should ahve shown more pace with the heavier fuel load ala DC) Ferrari knew their tanks couldn't do 49 laps and did choose the proper strategy whith regard to Massa once in the pits. The mistake IMO by Ferrari was to bring him in during the SC period. They should have left him out, let him run as many laps as he could, then bring him in for one fuel stop later. Then Massa, Heidfeld and Kubica would have been jockeying for the win.

BMW had two different stratgeies working that benefited both drivers and gave them both a chance to win ( or realistically compete for top 5 non knowing that LH was going to hit Kimi) Ferrari on the other hand adopted a more conservative route and ended up costing their driver by indadequate equipment and not utilizing the SC period to their benefit.

ioan
12th June 2008, 06:48
as much as it pains me, I do have to agree with G.Walkers logic and description here ioan. While it may be arguable as to BMW's strategy with Heidfeld ( even though I'm leaning towards Garry's explanation that heidefeld should ahve shown more pace with the heavier fuel load ala DC) Ferrari knew their tanks couldn't do 49 laps and did choose the proper strategy whith regard to Massa once in the pits. The mistake IMO by Ferrari was to bring him in during the SC period. They should have left him out, let him run as many laps as he could, then bring him in for one fuel stop later. Then Massa, Heidfeld and Kubica would have been jockeying for the win.

BMW had two different stratgeies working that benefited both drivers and gave them both a chance to win ( or realistically compete for top 5 non knowing that LH was going to hit Kimi) Ferrari on the other hand adopted a more conservative route and ended up costing their driver by indadequate equipment and not utilizing the SC period to their benefit.

I agree that heir tactic depends on the fuel tank volume that we don't know how big it is.
I also agree that leaving him out with heidfeld and co would have been the best thing to do, because the new SC rules don't allow the double stops Ferrari used during the MS era when one was keeping the field behind to give time for the other to pit before pitting himself and thus not loosing places to those behind him.

Maybe I was a bit more critical of the Ferrari crew than needed, however they messed up the 3rd race in a row from a tactical POV.

havk
13th June 2008, 18:15
He did well for the team, if he had kep Kubica behind, he would have won the race, cost BMW valuable points, and probably also cost himself his next year's contract. He made a very logical decision to let Robert pass, and I'm sure in the process bought his team's respect.

I would prefer win first race than save a contract. If he really let RK overtake him he will regreat it sometime in the future.

Garry Walker
15th June 2008, 14:09
I agree that heir tactic depends on the fuel tank volume that we don't know how big it is.
I also agree that leaving him out with heidfeld and co would have been the best thing to do, because the new SC rules don't allow the double stops Ferrari used during the MS era when one was keeping the field behind to give time for the other to pit before pitting himself and thus not loosing places to those behind him.

Maybe I was a bit more critical of the Ferrari crew than needed, however they messed up the 3rd race in a row from a tactical POV.

They didn`t mess up from tactical point, I repeat. They had a malfunction of the fuel rig.

Now, leaving Massa out would have been even dumber, because he didn`t have has much fuel as Heidfeld, so he would have had to pit quickly (possibly even during the SC period), and then would have rejoined the field 25 seconds behind everyone.

This happened nevertheless, but Ferrari couldn`t know the fuel rig would malfunction.

Ferrari did everything properly from tactical view point.