PDA

View Full Version : Enough of the magic rings!!!!

16&Gtown
8th June 2008, 05:02
I can't take seeing this cheesey garbage one more time... The Graphic portion is entertaining and pertinent. But the magic ring talk is enough to make me contimplate harry carrey. What are they trying to appeal 2? the goofy lord of the rings, harry potter crowd? NO THANKS!

ChicagocrewIRL
8th June 2008, 05:15
I can't take seeing this cheesey garbage one more time... The Graphic portion is entertaining and pertinent. But the magic ring talk is enough to make me contimplate harry carrey. What are they trying to appeal 2? the goofy lord of the rings, harry potter crowd? NO THANKS!

Yeah but that Bombardier Learjet spot is the **it !!! I'm sure not too many of us IndyCar fans could stop by our local LearJet dealer on Monday and take one home with us. But the ad was HOT !!!!

ykiki
8th June 2008, 05:48

I really don't want to know that these cars can fly...

...then again, the Lear Jet ad is pretty cool.

Yankee Racer
8th June 2008, 14:37
I agree. That ad is horrible. It makes a big deal over nothing. They're freaking tires! I can walk into my garage and see a bunch of them on our vehicles; how magical! The commercial makes it seem like no one knows what a tire is and needs to be educated on them.

For the record, I try to support IRL sponsors, but I sure as hell won't use Firestone tires. Call me heartless, but I believe in man-made quality over "magic."

markabilly
8th June 2008, 17:17
Yeah but that Bombardier Learjet spot is the **it !!! I'm sure not too many of us IndyCar fans could stop by our local LearJet dealer on Monday and take one home with us. But the ad was HOT !!!!

Don't need to wait until Monday, as I am having mine delievered this afternoon at my private airport.....

!!WALDO!!
8th June 2008, 19:17
The commercial makes it seem like no one knows what a tire is and needs to be educated on them.

Many don't know the history of the magic rings and the men that paid the maximum price so that there are tires on your car.
With out those Magic Rings there would not have been 92 500s or the CCWS.

Do not assume people know what anything is in today's internet world.

NickFalzone
8th June 2008, 19:32
I think it's a great commercial. You all are too cynical. This is what we're talking about right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxtoM5JEZNg

!!WALDO!!
8th June 2008, 19:53
I think it's a great commercial. You all are too cynical. This is what we're talking about right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxtoM5JEZNg

How can anything be bad with Harroun, Rose, Andretti and Leonard in it and shots of cars rarely seen in moving pictures and Harvey Firestone and Harvey Jr. with that hat near the end.

History is so important to the sport but alias some do not want any part of it. Scott Dixon won a race last night that now goes into the same history as Don Herr winning in 1911 in NY.

Too bad people do not understand that.

indycool
8th June 2008, 19:58
I enjoyed both spots far more than many others I've seen on various race telecasts. The Bombardier jet formation through those beautiful landmarks appeals to my "aesthetics," and the Firestone set of snippets appeals to my sense of history, I guess.

16&Gtown
9th June 2008, 04:01
How can anything be bad with Harroun, Rose, Andretti and Leonard in it and shots of cars rarely seen in moving pictures and Harvey Firestone and Harvey Jr. with that hat near the end.

History is so important to the sport but alias some do not want any part of it. Scott Dixon won a race last night that now goes into the same history as Don Herr winning in 1911 in NY.

Yah thats why i said the visual part was good, it's the annoying fantasy talk that makes it so annoying, and the fact its ran 6 times during the race last night...

call_me_andrew
9th June 2008, 05:08
I don't care for that commercial much myself.

I loved this one though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuwPNlrRYm4&feature=related

!!WALDO!!
9th June 2008, 17:08
Yah thats why i said the visual part was good, it's the annoying fantasy talk that makes it so annoying, and the fact its ran 6 times during the race last night...

They are trying to make people listen because most live in a fantasy world. FIRESTONE is a MAJOR IRL SPONSOR so maybe they shouldn't advertise their product.

It is called tying the past into the future.

NickFalzone
9th June 2008, 17:17
agreed, we need even more of the Firestone/Honda sponsor commercials (Direct-TV? Coke?) and more of the Danica Go-Daddy type commercials for other drivers. Right now Firestone and Go-Daddy are tugging the line for this stuff, and for the IRL to be a success it needs much more diversity than that. A title sponsor (AT&T?) could be a major step in that direction.

AntiSpeed
9th June 2008, 19:04
Like I said in another post, these ads are a missed chance for Firestone to leverage their association with the IRL, and build the IRL's drivers' brands.

Scheckterfan54
10th June 2008, 02:58
They are trying to make people listen because most live in a fantasy world. FIRESTONE is a MAJOR IRL SPONSOR so maybe they shouldn't advertise their product.

It is called tying the past into the future.

I dont believe he ever criticized the fact that the commercial advertises with the history of the sport. He was criticizing the "Magic Rings" portion of the commercial. Even you Waldo, being a history buff, can agree that they could put a better Voice over to that commercial...maybe something giving a short history lesson of Open wheel racing and how it started. And then tying in that it has been back the entire time by Firstone tires.

!!WALDO!!
10th June 2008, 03:53
I dont believe he ever criticized the fact that the commercial advertises with the history of the sport. He was criticizing the "Magic Rings" portion of the commercial. Even you Waldo, being a history buff, can agree that they could put a better Voice over to that commercial...maybe something giving a short history lesson of Open wheel racing and how it started. And then tying in that it has been back the entire time by Firstone tires.

From 1921 to 1966 what tire won the 500? Pretty fair portion of that history.

AntiSpeed
10th June 2008, 04:05
Hey, at least it's better than that stupid "And the wheel goes 'round" Bridgestone commercial they played to death for years during F1 broadcasts...

Jonesi
10th June 2008, 04:06

If Firestone wants the good from history they have to accept/own up to the bad that went with it. In the 70s they used their success at Indy to market the "Firestone 500" tire, perhaps the most sub-standard tire ever sold to the american public. (For those that never heard about it, it was corporate criminal negligence at the level of the exploding Ford Pintos.) The fallout from the hearings, lawsuits & recall is the reason they withdrew from racing for about two decades.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestone_Tire_and_Rubber_Company

!!WALDO!!
10th June 2008, 04:29
If Firestone wants the good from history they have to accept/own up to the bad that went with it. In the 70s they used their success at Indy to market the "Firestone 500" tire, perhaps the most sub-standard tire ever sold to the american public. (For those that never heard about it, it was corporate criminal negligence at the level of the exploding Ford Pintos.) The fallout from the hearings, lawsuits & recall is the reason they withdrew from racing for about two decades.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestone_Tire_and_Rubber_Company

Ask Joe Leonard about old tires at Ontario in 1974.

call_me_andrew
10th June 2008, 06:54
Anyone else see that Bridgestone commercial with the 747 landing and the guy stops the commercial to talk about the tires?

They totally ripped of Mercedes Benz!

beachbum
10th June 2008, 11:56

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestone_Tire_and_Rubber_CompanyAh, the history of urban myths. I had a set of the infamous Firestone 500's on a vehicle. I really liked the performance of the tires, but yup, every one had a belt separation. Only one was serious, but they all started to vibrate with miles, and they were replaced without any hassle. What isn't noted is that the replacement tire (721) was worse. I lost 4 of those too at very low mileage and they didn't have the traction of the 500's. It was just a crappy tire. What got Firestone in big trouble was that the 500 was initially a preferred tire for police and emergency vehicles as it was touted as the radial version of the Wide-Oval and had very good traction and performance for the era. They liked the performance but didn't take too kindly to tire failures. Anyone who ran Firestone radials (other than the one that worked - the 500!) in that period jokes they should have just been called "stones" because they had the traction of stones. Most were terrible in the rain. They fact that they made mostly lousy radial tires was probably a bigger factor that the failures. Firestone was still a top tire in every tire category with the exception of steel belt radials, which they didn't figure out until Bridgestone took over. Nearly every tire company in the early days of steel belt radials had similar failures. I saw it on a couple different brands (although the Firestones were the worst). Now if you want to trash tires, I could bring up sidewall cracking in some Goodyears, sidewall "bubbles" on various brands.........

And lay off the Pinto. I had two, one of which was rear-ended at over 40 mph and shortened to the rear window. No fire, no leaks, it was even fixable and ran another 100,000 miles. But like the Firestone 500 deal, it only takes a few well publicized incidents to color the remembered history.

Back to the commercial. While it was corny, it is being talked about, and that is what advertising is intended to do, create "buzz". A poor commercial is the one everyone thinks is entertaining and remembers the commercial, but can't remember the product. A friend who was a copy manager at a large ad firm once told me that nearly every ad that received an industry award for creativity was a commercial failure. Many annoying ads were huge commercial successes. Anyone remember the "spicy meatball" ads? As for "magic rings", when reliable pneumatic tires arrived and replaced the hard rubber tires, they transformed the whole auto industry. They were indeed "magic". But the ad was still goofy.

indyracefan
13th June 2008, 21:27
...would be nice to see more sponsors put as much into their Indycar advertising as Firestone. Two years running now Firestone has made some awesome commercials in regards to the ICS.

16&Gtown
13th July 2008, 01:58
hmmm looks like someone got the memo finally! The video is awsome still, and no cheesey mumbo jumbo.

16&Gtown
13th July 2008, 02:29
spoke to soon

Dr. Krogshöj
13th July 2008, 12:20
I enjoyed that Firestone spot. For a while. Still better than Go Daddy ads.

FORMULA-A
14th July 2008, 02:04
I work for TRAVELING LIGHT Media, we did a lot of cool spots for CHAMP CAR including the award winning RYAN HUNTER REAY driving the TWO SEATER FOR SPIKE in TIMES SQUARE in 05 THE EXPERIENCE FOREVER :30 spot for CHAMP that is uhm... very, very similar to the RINGS spot. The company won both THE TELLY SILVER and THE CINE GOLDEN EAGLE Awards for the work and we were all pretty stoked about it. OF course our hope was that the CHAMP powers that be would start investing heavily in TV and as everyone knows that was not the case. Unfortunately, it seems as if that is also not the case with this years version, either.

There are some very dedicated and talented folk who love racing that would be very interested in working with TG and IMS TV to get the message across.

16&Gtown
19th July 2008, 00:53
I work for TRAVELING LIGHT Media, we did a lot of cool spots for CHAMP CAR including the award winning RYAN HUNTER REAY driving the TWO SEATER FOR SPIKE in TIMES SQUARE in 05 THE EXPERIENCE FOREVER :30 spot for CHAMP that is uhm... very, very similar to the RINGS spot. The company won both THE TELLY SILVER and THE CINE GOLDEN EAGLE Awards for the work and we were all pretty stoked about it. OF course our hope was that the CHAMP powers that be would start investing heavily in TV and as everyone knows that was not the case. Unfortunately, it seems as if that is also not the case with this years version, either.

There are some very dedicated and talented folk who love racing that would be very interested in working with TG and IMS TV to get the message across.

I see no point to your post whatsoever!

DavePI2
19th July 2008, 01:24
i was sitting in turn one today after the first practice and heard the magic ring commercial and my first thought was, enough of the magic rings.

david

nigelred5
19th July 2008, 02:14
Hey, at least it's better than that stupid "And the wheel goes 'round" Bridgestone commercial they played to death for years during F1 broadcasts...

I though I would never have to be reminded of those commercials ever again. They played those same commercials so often during the CCWS telecasts I quite watching on TV and went 100% race director that season.