PDA

View Full Version : Wtf??

16&Gtown
8th June 2008, 02:33
its 940 and the race had already started on indycar.com?!?! what the heck is going on???

DavePI2
8th June 2008, 02:41
i just saw the same thing. Who is the genius at indycar who scheduled this mess. I thought we were either going to see a delayed race or be shipped to espn classic again and now we find out it was going to be a tape delayed race. IndyCar should be ashamed they had to resort to this. This is embarrasing for any indycar fan.

David

16&Gtown
8th June 2008, 02:48
no crap, this is bull****. So are they gonna play it off like it's live. The nascrap race wont even be over at 10. I really hope they atleast join the race live, who wants to watch a tape delayed race...

DavePI2
8th June 2008, 02:51
One more thing. If you listen to our freinds from texas you would think this is one of indycars premeir events. If this is what is going to happen to an event then it should be the first on the chopping block. A taped race to be run late at night, that is not premeir. Thanks Indycar for ruining a good evening. Just another sad event for nascar to laugh at. This sets Indycar back so far it can't be calculated.

David

David

ChicagocrewIRL
The Nationwide Series Race still has 35 laps to go and you know how slow those cabs are and it's 9pm CDT.

THIS SUXXXX

16&Gtown
also indycar.com still says pre race activities, they might of been able to pull it off if they didnt have the live feed

DavePI2
8th June 2008, 03:21
okay this is now the biggest cluster***** in the history of motorsports. Everyone else saw it I don't have to elaborate. Whoever is responsible for this should be fired. Indycar really has returned hasn't it? Someone please remind me why Tony won the war.

David

16&Gtown
8th June 2008, 03:32
it just sucks it had to be this race, the most exciting race of the year. The second most looked forward 2 stop on the schedule and they manage to F it up this bad...

cartpix
8th June 2008, 17:48
I'm watching it on my DVR & ready to throw crap at my TV. The race started off with all the trappings of the prestart, only the audio was that of the live race. Robbie Knevil jumping Hummers to the sound of pit stops. Who is the production crew on this one, 2 college inturns & a drunk? Did they have the "A" team at the 2nd tier NASCR race? If the IRL goes over & theatening underwater soap carving, they'd promply thow the IRL on to ESPN8, the ocho.

What a crock!

Jeff

Old3Fan
9th June 2008, 00:28
It was OK for me. The Nationwide Series went over time and when that was completed with driver interviews etc. around 35 minutes late the IRL race came on and they ran it from start to finish. ESPN2. Race was scheduled as delayed and that did happen.

DBell
9th June 2008, 01:07
It was OK for me. The Nationwide Series went over time and when that was completed with driver interviews etc. around 35 minutes late the IRL race came on and they ran it from start to finish. ESPN2. Race was scheduled as delayed and that did happen.

Same in Atlanta, it was scheduled as tape delayed at 10:00 pm. As someone who was a CC supporter and is giving this mergification a chance, I was surprised to see this race on ESPN 2. And tape delayed on top of it! I thought this was the biggest race the IRL had besides Indy. Has this race slipped? I thought this would've been at least a live feed. I'm not saying this to stir up old OW war crap, but more of a realization that the mountain that American OW has to climb is looking like Everest.

!!WALDO!!
9th June 2008, 01:19
Wow, how spoiled have we gotten. I got to go to the Sox game come home and see 3/4ths of the race.

Remember when you would have been lucky to see a race on TV. In those days you got up, packed the Ford and went to the races themselves.

Now we sit at home and whine if it isn't live. Better than snippets three weeks later with Jim McKay and Chris Economaki.

DBell
9th June 2008, 02:17
Wow, how spoiled have we gotten. I got to go to the Sox game come home and see 3/4ths of the race.

Remember when you would have been lucky to see a race on TV. In those days you got up, packed the Ford and went to the races themselves.

Now we sit at home and whine if it isn't live. Better than snippets three weeks later with Jim McKay and Chris Economaki.

Speaking for myself, my issue with the tape delay isn't personal inconvenience. It didn't matter to me as I was using my DVR anyway. It's that that Texas has been touted as one of the IRL big events and it's tape delayed on the deuce, thus guaranteed lousy ratings. I consider things like that worth talking about when you see the lack of sponsors on cars. I'm old enough to remember how TV used to be also, but comparing TV before satellites to now is irrelevant.

!!WALDO!!
9th June 2008, 02:29
Speaking for myself, my issue with the tape delay isn't personal inconvenience.

Why do you tape it if you are watching it?

It didn't matter to me as I was using my DVR anyway. It's that that Texas has been touted as one of the IRL big events and it's tape delayed on the deuce, thus guaranteed lousy ratings.

Does the ratings affect Gossage? Nope, as he had a bigger crowd than last year. I guess the Dale thing worked. Ratings on a Saturday night are lousy anyways because people are out. A .8 on a Saturday night is 2.5 during the week.
The ratings may have been a bit better with the lead in.

I consider things like that worth talking about when you see the lack of sponsors on cars. I'm old enough to remember how TV used to be also, but comparing TV before satellites to now is irrelevant.

Agreed but I remember when the car owner's name was on the side of the car.
It wasn't satellites that helped Auto Racing it was the expansion of the TV networks. You had three networks so how much racing could they put on?
Jim McKay was involved in the FIRST LIVE NETWORK AUTO RACE, start to finish and it was on a Saturday afternoon from Springfield. The point is racing had to compete with everything and only so much could be shown.
So it isn't irrelevant it is our history as we have always been a step child of those making decisions.
Also ESPN paid $80,000,000 for the Nationwide Series and the IRL got around $40,000,000 including Indy dough. They go where they spent the cash.

NickFalzone
9th June 2008, 02:56
What you do not understand is that success and failure, now and forever is determined by marketing. The product is important, but is always trumped by marketing. "Early to bed, early to rise, work like hell, and advertise."

The IRL racing itself is as good or better than the competition. But it is simply not as well marketed as NASCAR. No auto racing series has ever had the marketing push that NASCAR has had the last decade. This is why little things like Danica or Rahal winning are nice, but they are not quick fixes. The only quick fix would be to start spending a ****load of money on tv, internet, and print ads, or to get major sponsors to tell the public about the product. The minor issues you have with the quality of the product are completely beside the point.

16&Gtown
9th June 2008, 04:10
Why do you tape it if you are watching it?

Does the ratings affect Gossage? Nope, as he had a bigger crowd than last year. I guess the Dale thing worked. Ratings on a Saturday night are lousy anyways because people are out. A .8 on a Saturday night is 2.5 during the week.
The ratings may have been a bit better with the lead in.

Agreed but I remember when the car owner's name was on the side of the car.
It wasn't satellites that helped Auto Racing it was the expansion of the TV networks. You had three networks so how much racing could they put on?
Jim McKay was involved in the FIRST LIVE NETWORK AUTO RACE, start to finish and it was on a Saturday afternoon from Springfield. The point is racing had to compete with everything and only so much could be shown.
So it isn't irrelevant it is our history as we have always been a step child of those making decisions.
Also ESPN paid $80,000,000 for the Nationwide Series and the IRL got around $40,000,000 including Indy dough. They go where they spent the cash.

Why do u always have to throw in your .2 cents and stir things up and start a fight. We get it you think you know everything about racing history, but you don't know anything that the average joe can't look up for his self on the net. It's really annoying reading through a post, and then old WALDO pops up running his mouth about nothing relevant to the topic at all. I'm sure your reply to this will be explaining how you do know everything, or pointing out some sort of grammer error that may of been made in this post. So lets have it. WHERES WALDO?? WHO GIVES A ****?

call_me_andrew
9th June 2008, 05:24
okay this is now the biggest cluster***** in the history of motorsports. Everyone else saw it I don't have to elaborate. Whoever is responsible for this should be fired. Indycar really has returned hasn't it? Someone please remind me why Tony won the war.

David

Holy hyperbolie Batman!

This was the biggest cluster*****. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9ryQD6ehWY

Are you familair with the concept of a Pyrrhic victory?

dataman1
9th June 2008, 16:49
I'm watching it on my DVR & ready to throw crap at my TV. The race started off with all the trappings of the prestart, only the audio was that of the live race. Robbie Knevil jumping Hummers to the sound of pit stops. Who is the production crew on this one, 2 college inturns & a drunk? Did they have the "A" team at the 2nd tier NASCR race? If the IRL goes over & theatening underwater soap carving, they'd promply thow the IRL on to ESPN8, the ocho.

What a crock!

Jeff

I had the same issue as you did Jeff. I wonder if it has something to do with the the satellite system. I am on DISH network. I set the digital recorder for the event with a 30 minute over run. The tin cans went long and stayed for post race, then I got the same as you, prerace video with live audio of pit stops. I just turned it off. Does it get better?

!!WALDO!!
9th June 2008, 17:03
Why do u always have to throw in your .2 cents and stir things up and start a fight. We get it you think you know everything about racing history, but you don't know anything that the average joe can't look up for his self on the net. It's really annoying reading through a post, and then old WALDO pops up running his mouth about nothing relevant to the topic at all. I'm sure your reply to this will be explaining how you do know everything, or pointing out some sort of grammer error that may of been made in this post. So lets have it. WHERES WALDO?? WHO GIVES A ****?

Why oh why is a race shown complete but not live so bad? I just think it is nuts to complain about everything. They could show it Thursday at noon like the IPS.

I can't help your dislike for me. It is too bad that you feel that way but remember it is just you.

So the average Joe can look up on the internet. My next race in 1968 is Castle Rock. Why not look it up on the internet and tell us the history of that race. That's right, who cares right?

Most stuff is not on the internet. It is in the memories of those who witnessed it, read about it in the history books and maybe was part of it.

Stuff on the internet is opinion based and not based on facts thus nothing more than learning garbage. Do you learn garbage in school? Nope but you expect it here.

We should be happy about the coverage and not always look for what's wrong.

Just my view from the era of waiting for Monday's Tribune for the results of Sunday's race and maybe the top 3 in the AP or UPI story.

NickFalzone
9th June 2008, 17:20
I did not mind the tape delay as much as others because, except for the opening pre-show, they actually had the rest of the race in-sync and played it from start to finish. Marty Reid and Goodyear even did an OK job. I do think they dropped 10 laps or so from the broadcast around the 100 lap mark. Yes, Texas as a race deserves better. But looking at it as just another race on the calendar, ESPN did an OK job on SAT night.

16&Gtown
10th June 2008, 19:27
Why oh why is a race shown complete but not live so bad? I just think it is nuts to complain about everything. They could show it Thursday at noon like the IPS.

I can't help your dislike for me. It is too bad that you feel that way but remember it is just you.

So the average Joe can look up on the internet. My next race in 1968 is Castle Rock. Why not look it up on the internet and tell us the history of that race. That's right, who cares right?

Most stuff is not on the internet. It is in the memories of those who witnessed it, read about it in the history books and maybe was part of it.

Stuff on the internet is opinion based and not based on facts thus nothing more than learning garbage. Do you learn garbage in school? Nope but you expect it here.

We should be happy about the coverage and not always look for what's wrong.

Just my view from the era of waiting for Monday's Tribune for the results of Sunday's race and maybe the top 3 in the AP or UPI story.

July 7, 1968 - Back in the #20 STP Lotus Turbine for the Inaugural Rocky Mountain 150 an Castle Rock Raceway in Colorado. Art pollard qualified 12th and finished 5th a lap down from winner A.J. Foyt. Art was awarded 150 Championship points and $1,124.00.
Rocky Mountain 150
Continental Divide Raceway
2.66 Mile Road Course
57 Laps/151.62 Miles
July 7, 1968

Finish Start Driver Car # Sponsor/Name Chassis Engine Laps Status Points

1 4 A. J. Foyt 1 Sheraton-Thompson Coyote Ford 57 1:49:23 83.168 300
2 7 Lloyd Ruby 25 Gene White Mongoose Ford 57 Finished 240
3 11 Jim Malloy 67 Jim Robbins Seat Belt Vollstedt Ford 56 Flagged 210
4 10 Al Unser 5 Retzloff Chemical Lola Ford 56 Flagged 180
5 12 Art Pollard 20 STP Oil Treatment Lotus 4WD Pratt & Whitney Turbine 55 Flagged 150
6 15 Rick Muther 41 George R. Bryant Cheetah Ford 55 Flagged 120
7 21 Gary Bettenhausen 11 Thermo King Auto Air Conditioning Gerhardt Ford 55 Flagged 90
8 8 Joe Leonard 60 Parnelli Jones-STP Lotus 4WD Pratt & Whitney Turbine 50 Broken half shaft 75
9 9 Billy Vukovich, Jr. 98 Wagner Lockheed Brake Fluid Brabham Ford 47 Flagged 60
10 17 John Cannon 21 Bryant Heating & Cooling Vollstedt Ford 45 Flagged 45
11 2 Bobby Unser 3 Rislone Coyote Ford 44 Magneto 30
12 24 Sam Sessions 14 Quaker State Gerhardt Offy TC 43 Broken fuel line 15
13 19 Bud Tingelstad 10 Federal Engineering Gerhardt Ford 36 Broken upright
14 13 Mike Mosley 90 Zecol-Lubaid Watson Ford 36 Broken upright
15 5 Mario Andretti 2 Overseas National Airways Brawner Ford 35 Coil
16 25 Bud Morley 101 Earl Smith Gerhardt Offy 31 Out
17 6 Roger McCluskey 8 G. C. Murphy Eagle Ford 30 Broken fuel pump
18 23 Max Dudley 61 Dudley Trucking Gerhardt Chevy 28 Oil leak
19 1 Ronnie Bucknum 45 Weinberger Homes Eagle Ford 23 Broken half shaft
20 14 Johnny Rutherford 96 E. R. E. Enterprises Eisert Chevy 22 Broken rear end
21 16 Lou Sell 39 Wynn's/Smothers Brothers Eagle Ford 17 Broken gear box
22 20 Jim McElreath 38 Jack Adams Aircraft/Wynn's Lola Ford 12 Rod bearing
23 18 Jack Eiteljorg 7 Debbie Drake Eisert Chevy 3 Overheated
24 22 Arnie Knepper 19 M. V. S. Cecil Ford 1 Broken ring/pinion
25 3 Gordon Johncock 4 Gilmore Broadcasting Eagle Ford 0 Broken upright
87.0° F was the high temp for the day several fans succomb to heat casualties during the unusually long race and high temperatures.

!!WALDO!!
10th June 2008, 20:26
July 7, 1968 - Back in the #20 STP Lotus Turbine for the Inaugural Rocky Mountain 150 an Castle Rock Raceway in Colorado. Art pollard qualified 12th and finished 5th a lap down from winner A.J. Foyt. Art was awarded 150 Championship points and $1,124.00.
Rocky Mountain 150
Continental Divide Raceway
2.66 Mile Road Course
57 Laps/151.62 Miles
July 7, 1968

Finish Start Driver Car # Sponsor/Name Chassis Engine Laps Status Points

1 4 A. J. Foyt 1 Sheraton-Thompson Coyote Ford 57 1:49:23 83.168 300
2 7 Lloyd Ruby 25 Gene White Mongoose Ford 57 Finished 240
3 11 Jim Malloy 67 Jim Robbins Seat Belt Vollstedt Ford 56 Flagged 210
4 10 Al Unser 5 Retzloff Chemical Lola Ford 56 Flagged 180
5 12 Art Pollard 20 STP Oil Treatment Lotus 4WD Pratt & Whitney Turbine 55 Flagged 150
6 15 Rick Muther 41 George R. Bryant Cheetah Ford 55 Flagged 120
7 21 Gary Bettenhausen 11 Thermo King Auto Air Conditioning Gerhardt Ford 55 Flagged 90
8 8 Joe Leonard 60 Parnelli Jones-STP Lotus 4WD Pratt & Whitney Turbine 50 Broken half shaft 75
9 9 Billy Vukovich, Jr. 98 Wagner Lockheed Brake Fluid Brabham Ford 47 Flagged 60
10 17 John Cannon 21 Bryant Heating & Cooling Vollstedt Ford 45 Flagged 45
11 2 Bobby Unser 3 Rislone Coyote Ford 44 Magneto 30
12 24 Sam Sessions 14 Quaker State Gerhardt Offy TC 43 Broken fuel line 15
13 19 Bud Tingelstad 10 Federal Engineering Gerhardt Ford 36 Broken upright
14 13 Mike Mosley 90 Zecol-Lubaid Watson Ford 36 Broken upright
15 5 Mario Andretti 2 Overseas National Airways Brawner Ford 35 Coil
16 25 Bud Morley 101 Earl Smith Gerhardt Offy 31 Out
17 6 Roger McCluskey 8 G. C. Murphy Eagle Ford 30 Broken fuel pump
18 23 Max Dudley 61 Dudley Trucking Gerhardt Chevy 28 Oil leak
19 1 Ronnie Bucknum 45 Weinberger Homes Eagle Ford 23 Broken half shaft
20 14 Johnny Rutherford 96 E. R. E. Enterprises Eisert Chevy 22 Broken rear end
21 16 Lou Sell 39 Wynn's/Smothers Brothers Eagle Ford 17 Broken gear box
22 20 Jim McElreath 38 Jack Adams Aircraft/Wynn's Lola Ford 12 Rod bearing
23 18 Jack Eiteljorg 7 Debbie Drake Eisert Chevy 3 Overheated
24 22 Arnie Knepper 19 M. V. S. Cecil Ford 1 Broken ring/pinion
25 3 Gordon Johncock 4 Gilmore Broadcasting Eagle Ford 0 Broken upright
87.0° F was the high temp for the day several fans succomb to heat casualties during the unusually long race and high temperatures.

Thank you already posted it about 2 hours ago.
So who was Dr Lou Sell and Jack Eiteljorg? You had to be alive to know.

16&Gtown
10th June 2008, 20:29
well i dont read your posts so I didn't know that. I'll have your answer shortly bud

!!WALDO!!
10th June 2008, 20:30
well i dont read your posts so I didn't know that. I'll have your answer shortly bud

If you don't read my posts then why do you answer them?

16&Gtown
10th June 2008, 20:43
Jack Eiteljorg
Birthplace: Denver, Colorado
Born: August 21, 1938

Start # Date
Track Type Series Car # Sponsor/Name Chassis Engine Start Finish Laps Status Points

1 7/7/1968 Castle Rock RC USAC 7 Debbie Drake Eisert Chevy 18 23 3 Overheated
2 8/4/1968 St. Jovite 1 RC USAC 7 Debbie Drake Eisert RE Chevy 15 10 34 Flagged 30
3 8/4/1968 St. Jovite 2 RC USAC 7 Debbie Drake Eisert Chevy 9 9 34 Flagged 40

4 6/28/1970 Castle Rock RC USAC 17 Midwest Broadcasting Eisert Chevy 12 10 46 Flagged 45
-- 7/26/1970 IRP RC USAC 17 Midwest Broadcasting Eisert Chevy -- -- -- DNS, too slow

23rd in points in '68

be back with the Doc..

16&Gtown
10th June 2008, 20:44
If you don't read my posts then why do you answer them?

posts im not involved in.

!!WALDO!!
10th June 2008, 20:49
Jack Eiteljorg
Birthplace: Denver, Colorado
Born: August 21, 1938

Start # Date
Track Type Series Car # Sponsor/Name Chassis Engine Start Finish Laps Status Points

1 7/7/1968 Castle Rock RC USAC 7 Debbie Drake Eisert Chevy 18 23 3 Overheated
2 8/4/1968 St. Jovite 1 RC USAC 7 Debbie Drake Eisert RE Chevy 15 10 34 Flagged 30
3 8/4/1968 St. Jovite 2 RC USAC 7 Debbie Drake Eisert Chevy 9 9 34 Flagged 40

4 6/28/1970 Castle Rock RC USAC 17 Midwest Broadcasting Eisert Chevy 12 10 46 Flagged 45
-- 7/26/1970 IRP RC USAC 17 Midwest Broadcasting Eisert Chevy -- -- -- DNS, too slow

23rd in points in '68

be back with the Doc..

But who is he? What is Debbie Drake sponsorship. You are missing the story. Internet does not tell you what was common knowledge in 1968.

Got to go get blood drawn, enjoy.

70 points does not make it to 23rd in the points.
Driver Points after Castle Rock:
1. Bobby Unser 2400*****
2. Lloyd Ruby 1765*
3. Dan Gurney 1200**
4. Mario Andretti 1058
5. Mel Kenyon 1055
6. Gordon Johncock 977**
7. Al Unser 945
8. Billy Vukovich 750
9. Wally Dallenbach 630
10. Joe Leonard 550
11. George Snider 545
12. A.J. Foyt 540*
13. Mike Mosley 470
14. Jim Malloy 445
15. Gary Bettenhausen 435
16. Ronnie Duman 400X
17. Roger McCluskey 383
18. Art Pollard 375
19. Larry Dickson 305
20. Sam Sessions 245
21. Ronnie Buckman 240
22. Johnny Rutherford 210
23. Rick Muther 210
24. Mark Donohue 200
25. Bobby Grim 150
26. Max Dudley 150
27. Bud Tinglestad 136
28 Sonny Ates 120
29. Bob Veith 100
30. George Follmer 90
31. Keith Rachwitz 80
32. Bill Puterbaugh 75
33. Chuck Hulse 60
34. Bob Hurt 45#
35 Chuck Booth 45
36. John Cannon 45
37. Dempsey Wilson 30
38. Bruce Walkup 30
39 Ted Foltz 24
40 Wes Vandervoort 21
41 Paul Kleinschimdt 15
42. Arnie Knepper 14
43. Malcom Brazier 12
44. George Fejer 10
45. Bob Herring 9
46. Grier Manning 8
47. Ralph Bruning 6
48. Charlie Louderman 5

!!WALDO!!
10th June 2008, 20:50
posts im not involved in.

Maybe you should as it helps round out the brain.

Out of here, vampires await. :confused:

JSH
10th June 2008, 20:58
To quote the thread title.... WTF??

So this thread has turned into a battle of the "i know more than you do...aah but you don't REALLY know"

Bob Riebe
10th June 2008, 21:06
things get nasty here quickly but I think, and I may be wrong, is what C. Waldo is getting at is; for all the info the net has, it is lacking one hundred times as much.
With the near death of decent weekly, or monthly, cover of races, and SIDE BIT NEWS, which Comp. Press used to be full of. ( Yes SSN is still out there and as are some local and regonal rags, but if you do not know how to find them, they are as good as non-existent)
Outside finishing lists, if you do not watch a race on TV, and announcers there have become pretty pathetic, you WILL NOT find the news on the net.

One does not know how much is from a professional or true insider, or how much is bias based bs.

I am just guessing at what C. Waldo said, but that is my take.

Bob

!!WALDO!!
11th June 2008, 01:05
things get nasty here quickly but I think, and I may be wrong, is what C. Waldo is getting at is; for all the info the net has, it is lacking one hundred times as much.
With the near death of decent weekly, or monthly, cover of races, and SIDE BIT NEWS, which Comp. Press used to be full of. ( Yes SSN is still out there and as are some local and regonal rags, but if you do not know how to find them, they are as good as non-existent)
Outside finishing lists, if you do not watch a race on TV, and announcers there have become pretty pathetic, you WILL NOT find the news on the net.

One does not know how much is from a professional or true insider, or how much is bias based bs.

I am just guessing at what C. Waldo said, but that is my take.

Bob

Extremely well said.

In the 1950's and 1960's anywhere across this country at anytime you could find Debbie Drake on TV. She was the female version of Jack LaLanne and made tons of money selling stuff to go with her exercise programs.
Well Mr. Jack Eiteljorg was also Mr. Debbie Drake. It was known by everyone in racing but did not carry over to the internet.

Car has a nice history also including starting at Springfield in 1966 with Ronnie Duman.