PDA

View Full Version : Starting time is 10ET???

Mad_Hatter
7th June 2008, 18:31
Am I the only one that thinks this is an awful time to start a race? 10 PM Eastern on a Saturday Night?

Jeez...

maxmach
7th June 2008, 20:28
Bad for publicity, bad for viewership, thank god for dvr, that's all I'll say.

ChicagocrewIRL
7th June 2008, 21:46
It won't stop the more than 80,000 + race fans showing up tonight to watch from the stands.

It's a perfect date night activity .

nigelred5
7th June 2008, 22:49
Mickey says the IRL comes after even the second tier NASCAR race tonight. The Nationwide series has the prime-time slot from 7:30- 10:00 0n ESPN2.

xtlm
7th June 2008, 23:14
why are nascar and indycar events at the same track on the same days

BenRoethig
7th June 2008, 23:55
They're not. The nationwide series is at Nashville.

As for the start time, Its 95F/35C right now in Fort Worth and that's very typical for this time of year. Its not very good for PR if fans have to leave due to heat stroke. They really need to wait until the sun starts to go down and that isn't until 9:30 EST.

NickFalzone
8th June 2008, 00:41
Yes, the main reason is the venue. ESPN2 would have shown it earlier tonight or tomorrow afternoon live if the race was run at that time, but as Ben says it's not comfortable for the fans or drivers at that time of the day.

PSfan
8th June 2008, 02:32
Hate to say this, but us canucks get the race at 9:30 :p :

Whats with the different announcers?

LOL @ Briscoe.... Stopping in a Wheldon's pit

DavePI2
8th June 2008, 02:44
it doesn't look like there are 80,000 there on the net. With the poor marketing of this race it is no wonder.

David

BenRoethig
8th June 2008, 03:35
The track seats 160,000 and except for one section, the main grandstands seemed pretty full.

FormerFF
8th June 2008, 04:50
I just watched it on streaming video. It's kind of jerky at times, but there are no video commercials, and the announcers are better.

Chamoo
8th June 2008, 05:52
It's at 10EST start time, but people have to realize that Texas is not in the EST timezone. I believe a 10EST start is actually a 8pm start in Texas. Unfortunately, it is nessicary due to driver safety and fan comfort. I didn't mind staying up to watch it in Ontario.

MDS
8th June 2008, 14:00
why are nascar and indycar events at the same track on the same days

Because some one of the top three NASCAR series races pretty much every available prime race weekend. When you're ratings are as bad as the ICS are, you have to take what you can get.

xtlm
9th June 2008, 21:08
i was talking about the truck race mainly (and by bays i meant weekend)

but i did like how they didnt cut off the nationwide event right after the checkered, and let the post race ceremony go on for a while (even tough it ran late)

Then they didnt cut into the race and showed it from the beginning, which is i guess a good move