PDA

View Full Version : Would this make you happy?

call_me_andrew
5th June 2008, 22:55
I tried to sit down and draw what a 2009 calender might look like. I didn't just pick tracks that I liked, I stuck with tracks that I knew would make money, I tried to please the road racing fans, I tried to please oval fans, I tried to please TG, and I tried to please Max Mosley (in a platonic way).

I know there are a lot of tracks that got left out. There's no Iowa, Road America, Mont Tremblant, Michigan, Fontana, Portland, Laguna Seca, or Cleveland. But it is a 50/50 mix of ovals and road courses (interesting enough, I wasn't trying for a 50/50 mix). I think this would be a realistic idea for a calender and I'm looking for opinions.

3/14 Miami O
3/22 St. Petersburg S
4/5 Long Beach S
4/12 Kansas City O
4/26 Motegi O
5/24 Indianapolis O
5/31 Milwaukee O
6/14 Eurospeedway Lausitz O
6/21 Estoril R
7/5 Watkins Glen R
7/12 Toronto S
7/25 Texas O
8/2 Edmonton R
8/9 Loudon O
8/15 Richmond O
8/23 Mid-Ohio R
8/30 Belle Isle S
9/6 Daytona R
9/13 Chicago O
9/20 Sears Point R
10/4 Surfers Paradise S
10/11 Phoenix O

O=Oval R=Road course S=Street course (if you didn't figure that out)

BobGarage
5th June 2008, 23:12
I
3/14 Miami O
3/22 St. Petersburg S
4/5 Long Beach S
4/12 Kansas City O
4/26 Motegi O
5/24 Indianapolis O
5/31 Milwaukee O
6/21 Estoril R
7/5 Watkins Glen R
7/12 Toronto S
7/25 Texas O
8/2 Edmonton R
8/9 Loudon O
8/15 Richmond O
8/23 Mid-Ohio R
8/30 Belle Isle S
9/6 Daytona R
9/13 Chicago O
9/20 Sears Point R
10/4 Surfers Paradise S
10/11 Phoenix O

not bad, but i'd change Estoril for either Rockingham or Donington and drop Daytona. We don't need a third race in Florida and I'd have Road America instead.

theblackflagger
6th June 2008, 00:00
That's a good try at it. There are a few I wouldn't have included though. (Assuming you're trying to be realistic. I doubt any outside NA event with the exceptions of Motegi and Surfers. I also doubt any predominately NASCAR track like Daytona. So that leaves:

3/14 Miami O
3/22 St. Petersburg S
4/5 Long Beach S
4/12 Kansas City O
4/26 Motegi O
5/24 Indianapolis O
5/31 Milwaukee O
7/5 Watkins Glen R
7/12 Toronto S
7/25 Texas O
8/2 Edmonton R
8/9 Loudon O
8/15 Richmond O
8/23 Mid-Ohio R
8/30 Belle Isle S
9/13 Chicago O
10/4 Surfers Paradise S

What if we threw in Road America in the weekend between Belle Isle and Joliet and invite the ALMS to have a Labor Day Weekend Classic?

Bob Riebe
6th June 2008, 00:02
QUOTE=call_me_andrew;485095]I tried to sit down and draw what a 2009 calender might look like. I didn't just pick tracks that I liked, I stuck with tracks that I knew would make money, I tried to please the road racing fans, I tried to please oval fans, I tried to please TG, and I tried to please Max Mosley (in a platonic way).

I know there are a lot of tracks that got left out. There's no Iowa, Road America, Mont Tremblant, Michigan, Fontana, Portland, Laguna Seca, or Cleveland. But it is a 50/50 mix of ovals and road courses (interesting enough, I wasn't trying for a 50/50 mix). I think this would be a realistic idea for a calender and I'm looking for opinions.

4/5 Long Beach S
4/12 Kansas City O
4/26 Motegi O
5/24 Indianapolis O
5/31 Milwaukee O

7/5 Watkins Glen R

7/25 Texas O
8/9 Loudon O
8/15 Richmond O
8/23 Mid-Ohio R

9/13 Chicago O
9/20 Sears Point R
10/4 Surfers Paradise S
10/11 Phoenix O
[/QUOTE]
-----------------------------
THat would be better

BenRoethig
6th June 2008, 00:09
I tried to sit down and draw what a 2009 calender might look like. I didn't just pick tracks that I liked, I stuck with tracks that I knew would make money, I tried to please the road racing fans, I tried to please oval fans, I tried to please TG, and I tried to please Max Mosley (in a platonic way).

3/14 Miami O
3/22 St. Petersburg S
4/5 Long Beach S
4/12 Kansas City O
4/26 Motegi O
5/24 Indianapolis O
5/31 Milwaukee O
6/21 Estoril R
7/5 Watkins Glen R
7/12 Toronto S
7/25 Texas O
8/2 Edmonton R
8/9 Loudon O
8/15 Richmond O
8/23 Mid-Ohio R
8/30 Belle Isle S
9/6 Daytona R
9/13 Chicago O
9/20 Sears Point R
10/4 Surfers Paradise S
10/11 Phoenix O

Get rid of the euro dates for RA and Michigan, New Hampshire for Dover, and the Daytona road course for Vegas.

indycool
6th June 2008, 01:16
Think Iowa is the only one you left out that will probably make the cut for '09, Andrew. Think Lausitz, Estoril, Daytona and Phoenix will be off the final board. Just IMO, of course.....we can speculate forever.

ykiki
6th June 2008, 05:02
How's the weather in KC around 4/12?

xtlm
6th June 2008, 05:04
the euro ovals prob wouldnt happen

and michigan needs tto be back (didnt they say it could be back)
or and fontana

call_me_andrew
6th June 2008, 06:25
not bad, but i'd change Estoril for either Rockingham or Donington and drop Daytona. We don't need a third race in Florida and I'd have Road America instead.

I did consider having a race at Rockingham, UK or Brands Hatch, but I decided against that. I believe the FIA specifies that a country cannot host two international races in less than six weeks. The British Grand Prix is in early July. I also wanted to put Motegi and Surfers back to back, but the same rule put the brakes on that.

Then I decided to go to somewhere Formula 1 no longer visits. My first chioce was Imola, but I didn't think 24 Hondas in Scuderia Ferrari's backyard would go over too well. I considered Österreichring, but I didn't think there would be enough demand for IndyCar amoung Austrians.

I thought Champ Car's European races drew well last year so I decided to go for it.

I thought a Labor Day race at Daytona would generate some interest. Daytona Beach in general has a very rich history of racing. The east coast doesn't seem all that interested in Long Beach and it would be nice to have a major race that doesn't rhyme with Mindy. And selecting Daytona for Labor Day was a show of restraint on my part. I originally wanted Pocono.

Bob Riebe
6th June 2008, 07:25
I did consider having a race at Rockingham, UK or Brands Hatch, but I decided against that. I believe the FIA specifies that a country cannot host two international races in less than six weeks. The British Grand Prix is in early July.
Not unless the FIA made a major rule change as USAC ran races in the UK one week apart.
Bob

MAX_THRUST
6th June 2008, 13:54
Makes me sick that the FIA could influence the Champ car/CArt series and where and how they should run in Europe. Bernie got all panicky about CART so his best buddy bend over Madmax stuck some silly rules in which limited CART to Ovals only. At the time there were no ovals, so we built two.

Before the IRL heads to Europe they need to sort out a decent European TV coverage, change the cars from the ugly beasts that they are.

I think tracks like Cleveland, Road America, and Surfers must be on the schedule.

djparky
6th June 2008, 16:06
forget Europe- it's not going to happen

in no specific order I'd like to see

Indy (O)
Long Beach
Surfers Paradise
Cleveland
Road America
Michigan (O)
Milwaukee (O)
Phoenix (O)
Mid Ohio
Edmonton
Toronto
New Hampshire (O)
Texas (O)- not my favourite Indy Car track but they get big crowds
Chicagoland (O)- see comment above
St Petersburg
Portland
Motegi (O)
Richmond (O)
Mexico City

I'll be happy with a 50/50 split between road/street racing and ovals

gm99
6th June 2008, 21:41
Any schedule without Cleveland would definitely not make me happy at all...
Also, I would pick Road America over Mid-Ohio any day, Estoril could be replaced with just about any other European race track and I'd rather have Michigan or Fontana (or even Gateway) than Kansas.

indycool
7th June 2008, 00:43
I seriously doubt if every single person will be 100 percent happy with whatever the schedule shows when it comes out....each with different reasons.

call_me_andrew
7th June 2008, 02:44
Not unless the FIA made a major rule change as USAC ran races in the UK one week apart.
Bob

That was the reason given as to why Motegi couldn't be run in October.

ZzZzZz
7th June 2008, 03:48
I don't think Europe will be looked at until the North American fanbase is built back up. First things first.

Cleveland has always been one of my favorite CART/CC races. Great TV.

I think TV ratings are even more important than attendance these days. I also believe attendance will grow best at the best tracks as the series grows. So it would be cynical and defeatist to go with mediocre tracks that have decent attendance over great tracks that produce great racing.

Road America, Fontana, Michigan should all be strongly considered. Perhaps in a few years Laguna Seca should be considered.

indafastln
7th June 2008, 03:54
yeah, get cleveland on that schedule! :-D

Alexamateo
7th June 2008, 04:50
Aren't real estate developers chomping on the bit to get the Burke Lakefront site?

!!WALDO!!
7th June 2008, 05:37
Aren't real estate developers chomping on the bit to get the Burke Lakefront site?

From what I heard to. It appears Burke's flight activity will move to Cuyohoga (Sp) County Airport about 7 miles Northeast.

indycool
7th June 2008, 08:04
Those plans at Burke have been around for some time and I'm told it's only a matter of time. It's a prime piece of downtown real estate and the charter and cargo operations there are increasingly minimal and can be easily moved.

You can pick the best courses in the world and IMO, Cleveland is one of 'em, a road course where you can see almost the whole thing. Road America is one of them, a unique longtime traditional facility.

But to get on the schedule now, it's a matter of financially solvent races. Cleveland ain't. Road America got jacked around on dates by CART and CC so long, then Mario mediated to save it for a year when Pook almost killed it that it's in an "unstable" situation. The biggest problem there is the cost of TV production over a four-mile course being comparatively huge, so networks adjust their "deals" accordingly when Road America is on a schedule.

Rogelio
7th June 2008, 14:45
Portland, Cleveland, Road America and possibly even Laguna Seca need to be on the schedule. The reason is simple, the tracks have a long history. Cetainly, attendance at the races have dropped over the years, but that was due mostly to the split and CART/CC bad management. There is no need to produce new venues, when there are tracks that were once successful.

I agree with the need for either Fontana or Michigan. I recall the early years of the Fontana race (Marlboro 500) where the race winner won a $1 million dollars. Nothing wrong with a little excitement.

Also, the ICS should do its best to start getting out of NASCAR's backyard and start establishing itself once again (marketing). We do not need to be in there shadows. The series needs to promote the hell out of the tracks that are not in NASCAR country (example Portland). Also, how about getting the season started or adding some races on the West Coast/Soutwest. Generally, the weather is good and mild. In contrast, NASCAR starts with Daytona in February and there is a race every weekend and the thunderous pace just continues. It is rather embarassing to open up the season in Miami in front of a few fans. I am a fan of street racing and see its enormous potential (example Long Beach). A race or races in Texas and Arizona in the early spring. The series needs momentum rather than stagnation and needs to avoid large gaps in the season. Perhaps a lot of races might place a strain on the series but hey the seires needs to get back into the limelight. More races equals more promotion equals more popularity.

Finally, my post is slanted toward a Champ Car schedule because the former fans are an important factor. Many of these fans are disgusted and sickened by the utter capitulation of the Amigos. These former fans of OWR need to be won over by the ICS and the way to do it is by possibly adding some of their races. Ignoring these former Champ Car fans is a major mistake because the fans already love OWR and there is no need to convert them. The Champ Car fans know that a "merger" with the ICS never occurred. All that happened was that KK did not want to spend his money and simply threw in the towell. The ICS needs to add these disgruntled fans to increase its solid base of fans.

indycool
7th June 2008, 17:52
Rogelio, I respectfully disagree. The races you mentioned were money losers and almost bankrupted Laguna Seca. There will be no reason for the blendified series to take on money losers, either for the series or the promoters/tracks. It does not need to go on the road to bankruptcy like CART and CC did. I'd venture to say that applies to both ovals and road courses.

IMO, the CART/CC fanbase was regarded as large because the folks at CW are loud, not because of their numbers. Indeed, the voices from all the forums combined are very small compared to the big picture of the product going in front of the general public.

It would seem that some ex-CC fans wants to blame KK for their troubles. Indeed, KK dumped his money in, and in, and in, until there was no tomorrow. It was Forsythe who held up blendification until he was rendered to do the money dumping solo.

As I posted before, I don't believe every individual is going to get EXACTLY what he or she wants in a new schedule. I believe financial solvency for BOTH promoter and sanctioning body is going to be the key factor.

Madmonk
7th June 2008, 19:16
The usual Indycar staples: Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Texas, Kansas, Kentucky, Nashville, Homestead & Watkins Glen.

Plus some casualties of the merger: Long Beach, Road America, Laguna Seca, Cleveland & Portland.

Add some tracks we haven't been to in awhile: Michigan, Fontana, Pheonix, Pocono, Dover & Road Atlanta.

Toss in a new venue: Miller Motorsports Park (UT).

And Let's Go Racin'!

call_me_andrew
8th June 2008, 03:53
Also, the ICS should do its best to start getting out of NASCAR's backyard and start establishing itself once again (marketing). We do not need to be in there shadows. The series needs to promote the hell out of the tracks that are not in NASCAR country (example Portland). Also, how about getting the season started or adding some races on the West Coast/Soutwest. Generally, the weather is good and mild. In contrast, NASCAR starts with Daytona in February and there is a race every weekend and the thunderous pace just continues.

Yes, staying out of Indianapolis helped NASCAR get where it is.

http://www.autoracing1.com/Images/2005Misc/Indy1994BY400Start.jpg

call_me_andrew
10th June 2008, 04:06
Robin Miller hinted that Homestead and Nashville could be gone next year in favor of a race in Mexico. The most likely tracks IMO, are Autodromo Miguel E. Abed and Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez.

I also considered adding a race in Brazil to that calender, but i couldn't make it fit.

!!WALDO!!
10th June 2008, 05:14
Toss in a new venue: Miller Motorsports Park (UT).

The ALMS got 75 fans. Yup lets toss that in.

Bob Riebe
10th June 2008, 06:19
Miller is designed for motorcycles, it is like racing on a go-kart track.
Bob

MDS
10th June 2008, 13:16
I enjoy mocking up schedules, and I actually really like this one. It cuts out the only ICS race I’m currently attending and starts the season out with a total dog, but the lack of warm-weather ovals just can’t be avoided,and I believe the IRL is always going to try to start and end on ovals.

Now the dates are guesswork, but based on what I’ve read, this is what I believe the ICWS schedule will look like next year. I tried to keep as much “Weekend equity” as possible. Personally I think Cleveland is a great place to be on the 4th of July weekend and returning to its traditional date followed by Toronto makes a lot of sense to me. Despite the comments of 2009 being a blank cloth I think the 2009 schedule is going to be somewhat close to 2008 if only because a pre-existing contract with ABC to end the season as the NFL season starts.

St Pete

March 14 Homestead-Miami Speedway
March 22 Streets of St. Petersburg *
April 5 Streets of Long Beach *
April 12 Kansas Speedway
April 26 Twin Ring Motegi+
May 24 Indianapolis Motor Speedway
May 31 The Milwaukee Mile
June 7 Texas Motor Speedway *
June 21 Iowa Speedway*
June 28 Richmond International Raceway
July 5 Burke Lakefront Airport
July 12 Streets of Toronto
July 19 Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course+
August 2 Streets of Edmonton*
August 9 Kentucky Speedway
August 16 Portland International Raceway
August 23 Streets of Surfer’s Paradise*
August 30 The Raceway at Belle Isle
September 6 Chicagoland Speedway

*Have signed contracts through at least 2009
+Important to Honda

call_me_andrew
12th June 2008, 03:22
Why is Mid-Ohio important to Honda?

BenRoethig
12th June 2008, 03:26
Most of their American operations are based in Ohio.

!!WALDO!!
12th June 2008, 03:31
Nice attempt but logistics are not right.
Feb 21 Mexico City
Feb 28 Surfer’s Paradise
March 14 Homestead-Miami Speedway
April 5 Streets of Long Beach *
April 12 Kansas Speedway
April 26 Twin Ring Motegi+
June 21 Iowa Speedway*
June 28 Richmond International Raceway
July 5 Nashville
July 19 Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course+
August 23 Sonoma
September 6 Chicagoland Speedway

You want Surfer's in the late Winter rather than late Summer.

MDS
12th June 2008, 04:17
I'm pretty sure the V8 Supercars have contracted for a fall date next year. Also, I don't think you want to be in Australia two weeks after the Melborune Grand Prix. Maybe if F-1 actually does pull out of Australia like they're threatening in 2010 maybe the ICWS would want that date at Melborune, but I think that's the only way they are going to ge a Feb/March date in Australia.

There is no way all 11 ovals are going to stay on the schedule for next year. Everything that has come out from the management has said between six and 10. Given the contractual obligation with ABC I can't see them going over 20 races and so at least one, probably two to three, are going to be gone. What they are I don't know. I would suspect Homestead, Nashville and Richmond are being considered, but again, that's just speculation. The one thing that is certain we are going to see more former CC events on the schedule, likely at least Tornoto and probably Road America. That noise Eddie Gossage made makes me thing Houston is at least being considered. Laguna Secca would be a good warm weather track late in the season. There is a lot of interest in reviving Denver and Las Vegas. Constant speculation about Phenoix, Michigan and New Hampshire,
so who knows exactly what would happen.

MDS
12th June 2008, 04:46
In an ideal world if I could make up the schedule for next year this is what would make me happy, and is not altogether that unrealistic

March 1-6 ICWS Unveiling week in Las Vegas. #
March 7 Allstar night race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway
March 15 Las Vegas 550k
April 5 Streets of Long Beach*
April 12 New Hampshire International Raceway
April 26 Streets of Houston
June 21 Iowa Speedway*
June 28 Elkhart Lake
July 19 Michigan International Speedway 500
July 26 Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course+
August 16 Twin Ring Motegi+
September 6 California International Speedway 500

+Important to Honda

# The teams show off their cars and drivers on the strip in some elaborate weeklong series of announcements.

I like this schedule because it’s the best venues from the IRL, CC and CART with a few new events and starts the season with a great showcase. It has a lot of diversity and as you get into the last four races you have two ovals and two street courses with one 500 mile race, which is a great way for the best driver (Scott Dixon) really focus on a diverse array of skills.

In a perfect world there would be a challenge program for the best drivers. You take the sports five biggest events, Long Beach, Indy, Michigan, Surfer’s, California and put $1 million dollars out there if one of the podium finishers in the pervious race wins the next “Gillette Triple Threat Event." (for example) If you finished on the podium at Long Beach and you won Indy you would get an extra $1 million in prize money. If you finished in the top three at Indy you could win an extra million at Texas, and so on. It’s similar to the No-Bull 5 NASCAR used to run earlier in the decade, but it got them a good bit of publicity, generates races within races, and maybe it would attract some of higher quality Grand-Am and ALMS teams to step up.

I’d also like to see some bounty programs, like $500,000 if someone sweeps the Canadian races; $100,000 for the driver with the most poles; $100,000 for the driver with the most hot laps. Get some sponsors on these programs and really build the sport up.

!!WALDO!!
12th June 2008, 04:57
I'm pretty sure the V8 Supercars have contracted for a fall date next year. Also, I don't think you want to be in Australia two weeks after the Melborune Grand Prix. Maybe if F-1 actually does pull out of Australia like they're threatening in 2010 maybe the ICWS would want that date at Melborune, but I think that's the only way they are going to ge a Feb/March date in Australia.

Australia is more than likely gone in 2010. So maybe something can be worked out. Fall in Australia is after March 21st.

There is no way all 11 ovals are going to stay on the schedule for next year. Everything that has come out from the management has said between six and 10. Given the contractual obligation with ABC I can't see them going over 20 races and so at least one, probably two to three, are going to be gone.

Wishful thinking, ABC likes the ovals because they are cheaper to do.

What they are I don't know. I would suspect Homestead, Nashville and Richmond are being considered, but again, that's just speculation. The one thing that is certain we are going to see more former CC events on the schedule, likely at least Tornoto and probably Road America.

Nope, and forget RA. 4 miles of Cable has been the most expensive show to do forever.

That noise Eddie Gossage made makes me thing Houston is at least being considered. Laguna Secca would be a good warm weather track late in the season. There is a lot of interest in reviving Denver and Las Vegas. Constant speculation about Phenoix, Michigan and New Hampshire,
so who knows exactly what would happen.

No promoter for Houston. I asked you a question that Starter took down. What does a promoter need? Try that. I did promote open wheel shows, midget and sprints. What did I have to have. A very serious and clear question because some must think that promoters grow on trees. Well they don't.

!!WALDO!!
12th June 2008, 05:00
In an ideal world if I could make up the schedule for next year this is what would make me happy, and is not altogether that unrealistic

March 1-6 ICWS Unveiling week in Las Vegas. #
March 7 Allstar night race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway
March 15 Las Vegas 550k
April 5 Streets of Long Beach*
April 12 New Hampshire International Raceway
April 26 Streets of Houston
June 21 Iowa Speedway*
June 28 Elkhart Lake
July 19 Michigan International Speedway 500
July 26 Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course+
August 16 Twin Ring Motegi+
September 6 California International Speedway 500

+Important to Honda

# The teams show off their cars and drivers on the strip in some elaborate weeklong series of announcements.

I like this schedule because it’s the best venues from the IRL, CC and CART with a few new events and starts the season with a great showcase. It has a lot of diversity and as you get into the last four races you have two ovals and two street courses with one 500 mile race, which is a great way for the best driver (Scott Dixon) really focus on a diverse array of skills.

In a perfect world there would be a challenge program for the best drivers. You take the sports five biggest events, Long Beach, Indy, Michigan, Surfer’s, California and put $1 million dollars out there if one of the podium finishers in the pervious race wins the next “Gillette Triple Threat Event." (for example) If you finished on the podium at Long Beach and you won Indy you would get an extra $1 million in prize money. If you finished in the top three at Indy you could win an extra million at Texas, and so on. It’s similar to the No-Bull 5 NASCAR used to run earlier in the decade, but it got them a good bit of publicity, generates races within races, and maybe it would attract some of higher quality Grand-Am and ALMS teams to step up.

I’d also like to see some bounty programs, like $500,000 if someone sweeps the Canadian races; $100,000 for the driver with the most poles; $100,000 for the driver with the most hot laps. Get some sponsors on these programs and really build the sport up.

Why do you put Australia in the Winter?

Got an idea? Go out and raise the $90,000,000 and maybe some will listen to you.

MDS
12th June 2008, 12:41
No promoter for Houston. I asked you a question that Starter took down. What does a promoter need? Try that. I did promote open wheel shows, midget and sprints. What did I have to have. A very serious and clear question because some must think that promoters grow on trees. Well they don't.

There is a promoter for Houston, his name is Mike Lanigan. You may have heard of him, he's the Lanigan in Newman Hass Lanigan and part owner of Mi-Jack Products, the leading supplier of rubber tire gantry trains.

I have no idea what you think is important, but my guess is any successful promoter needs money, experience and sponsors. Last time I checked Mike Lanigan has thoses. Also, there hasn't been all those reports of Houston losing money like Edmonton, Toronto and St. Pete, so there is every chance it is a substainable event in a town that doesn't host two NASCAR races every year.

indycool
12th June 2008, 13:06
Lanigan has minimal experience as a promoter. And if it was all his money in Houston and Cleveland, he probably is very relieved to be without them.

MDS
12th June 2008, 13:20
Lanigan has minimal experience as a promoter. And if it was all his money in Houston and Cleveland, he probably is very relieved to be without them.

Several years promoting two major events with a number of different races is minimal experience? Last time I checked he has a thicker resume than AGR.

indycool
12th June 2008, 13:28
SEVERAL YEARS? You better check your facts.

veeten
12th June 2008, 13:33
I'm sorry, but I'm getting the sense that the TMS/Houston GP row has an eirily similar feeling...

Does "Miami Grand Prix" ring any bells?...

!!WALDO!!
12th June 2008, 18:25
There is a promoter for Houston, his name is Mike Lanigan. You may have heard of him, he's the Lanigan in Newman Hass Lanigan and part owner of Mi-Jack Products, the leading supplier of rubber tire gantry trains.

I have no idea what you think is important, but my guess is any successful promoter needs money, experience and sponsors. Last time I checked Mike Lanigan has thoses. Also, there hasn't been all those reports of Houston losing money like Edmonton, Toronto and St. Pete, so there is every chance it is a substainable event in a town that doesn't host two NASCAR races every year.

Notice he did not whine, cry or throw a temper tantrum about loosing Houston or Cleveland. You know why?

HE LOST MONEY BIG TIME! He was sucked into doing those races because nobody else would for the CCWS and the CCWS had contracts.

If you want, PM me and I will give you a number and I will take you to Mi-Jack and Mike.

I see you got it, "promoter needs money" does that mean anything? If you go out and lose $10,000,000 and you only have $15,000,000 are you going to attempt this again? Maybe when you have $20,000,000.
Houston lost money because nobody showed, Cleveland had less than 40,000 seats. At $75 per head could only cover a portion of the sanction fees.

Lanigan is all done and notice Mi-Jack is not on the cars like it was in Dale Coyne's Payton #34 or the Conquest effort. He too was pulling back and he was made a partner in N-H so he wouldn't leave altogether.

Nice guy actually but he likes to play in the majors with minor league money. Not uncommon.