PDA

View Full Version : UK TV Viewing Figures (Indy 500)

BobGarage
5th June 2008, 10:21
BARB has released the UK TV viewing figures for the w/e 25/05/2008 today.

Indy 500 got 62,000 viewers. The first time the series has broken the 40,000 viewers mark all season. And the first time the series has featured in Sky Sports top ten most viewed programmes for the week (placing 3rd on sky sports 3).

In contrast the Coca-Cola 600 got less than 31,000 viewers the same day. And NASCAR regularly gets around the 30,000 viwers mark (Daytona and Talladega excepted which had 40,000+ viewers each)

MAX_THRUST
5th June 2008, 10:46
It could have been 62,001, but I still haven't got sky.

I think that is great news for the series that there has been an increase, perhaps Sky will consider promoting it more.

Managed to catch Indy lights on Motors TV, its good, but I really wanna see the IRL. Not seen the 500 yet, still waiting for a tape.

Lousada
5th June 2008, 12:00
Last year in The Netherlands it had a rating of 450k or so, similar to the average Grand Prix. This year it was not on public tv, so I'd be surprised if they had even 450 viewers.
I suppose this trend is similar to almost every country in Europe. Way to go IRL :down:

BobGarage
5th June 2008, 12:33
unfortunatley BARB don't do viewing figures for eurosports2 so I don't know what CC's UK figures were over the last few years, but in 2004 when it was on MotorsTV it was in the 100,000 range every week.

Last years Indy 500 got 48,000 viewers, so skys viewing figures this year have obviously picked up some champ car fans.

mikiec
5th June 2008, 13:45
unfortunatley BARB don't do viewing figures for eurosports2 so I don't know what CC's UK figures were over the last few years, but in 2004 when it was on MotorsTV it was in the 100,000 range every week.

Last years Indy 500 got 48,000 viewers, so skys viewing figures this year have obviously picked up some champ car fans.

That just highlights the advantages to advertisers and sponsors of getting it on a FTA/FTV channel.

infoxicated
5th June 2008, 13:48
It could have been 62,001, but I still haven't got sky.
It could have been 62,002, but I canceled Sky Sports after they showed the first couple of races tape delayed. Been watching it on the IndyCar.com streaming service and although the picture isn't as good as seeing it on the tv, I don't get adverts and I get to follow the action elsewhere in the pack.

It's a shame that Sky have turned their backs on the series just as it got a huge boost in momentum. :(

MAX_THRUST
6th June 2008, 13:46
Well I live in hope Sky drop it all together and Motors or Eurosport pick it up. I have not seen a single race in full all year, and to be honest I am definately posting less and less here, as my interest is draing away. Its only now I'm starting to miss the split cause at least I saw champ car. I'd love to watch the IRL, but it is becoming a distant memory. What do I watch on a Sunday evening now???? Not Songs of Praise.

johnny shell
6th June 2008, 13:51
wow, 62,000?? that's like half of all england, isn't it???? :D

evo5_mat
6th June 2008, 13:54
Well be interesting to see how many people watched the whole race as i was flicking mainly watching it then in end got so bored i put it on sly + record mode.
It still suprises me that sky had shown IRL races for a number of years and yet they get Nascar and straight away show there intent that nascar is the more important event to them.
That alone shows what level IRL regarded to the sky team, makes me wonder if they try and get a race over at Rockingham soon ?

dataman1
6th June 2008, 14:49
Seems to me that the UK TV audience for US racing is similar to the USA TV audience for those big Truck races they hold in Europe. Great entertainment IMO.

mikiec
6th June 2008, 15:21
Well be interesting to see how many people watched the whole race as i was flicking mainly watching it then in end got so bored i put it on sly + record mode.
It still suprises me that sky had shown IRL races for a number of years and yet they get Nascar and straight away show there intent that nascar is the more important event to them.
That alone shows what level IRL regarded to the sky team, makes me wonder if they try and get a race over at Rockingham soon ?

I think it was more the case that a) NASCAR gets bigger audience in the US than IndyCar, so.... and b) Montoya and Villeneuve being in NASCAR might bring in the F1 crowd.

I think the motorsports crowd in the UK is much more used to/inclined to watching F1 racing than 'tin-tops' and so IndyCar would appeal more than NASCAR.

evo5_mat
6th June 2008, 16:32
but then british touring cars etc always had a big following throughout the years, just like im sure le mans on eurosport will get a bigger audience next weekend than indy500
So i wouldnt say irl has more apeal at all if anything Nascar with actually more recognised driver like montoya etc and also More noticable sponsors throughout the field were more appealing.
Even my wife who not a big motorsport fan hasnt watched a irl race but sits down and watches Nascar races or when she ironing has it in the back ground as something clicked and she enjoys it.

mikiec
6th June 2008, 17:01
I should have added a C) oval racing isn't as big over here as in the states - we're more used to watching road courses.

Helicon_One
7th June 2008, 12:21
Well I live in hope Sky drop it all together and Motors or Eurosport pick it up. I have not seen a single race in full all year, and to be honest I am definately posting less and less here, as my interest is draing away. Its only now I'm starting to miss the split cause at least I saw champ car. I'd love to watch the IRL, but it is becoming a distant memory.
I'd settle for Channel 5 showing highlights at sometime other than 4:30am.

indyracefan
13th June 2008, 21:31
It could have been 62,002, but I canceled Sky Sports after they showed the first couple of races tape delayed. Been watching it on the IndyCar.com streaming service and although the picture isn't as good as seeing it on the tv, I don't get adverts and I get to follow the action elsewhere in the pack.

It's a shame that Sky have turned their backs on the series just as it got a huge boost in momentum. :(

...not sure about how good or bad the European TV announcers are as compared to the U.S. but the Indycar.com streaming video features the IMS Radio Network which is the best way to listen to a broadcast IMO. Mike King, Davey Hamilton Bob enkins, Kevin Lee.

BobGarage
13th June 2008, 23:04
...not sure about how good or bad the European TV announcers are as compared to the U.S. but the Indycar.com streaming video features the IMS Radio Network which is the best way to listen to a broadcast IMO. Mike King, Davey Hamilton Bob enkins, Kevin Lee.

the international feed commentators are piss poor. larry rice and gerry lee i think?

i have listened to the IMS radio crew a few times this year. they aren't the greatest but they are better than both the US and International TV commentators.

jwhite9185
14th June 2008, 17:31
the international feed commentators are piss poor. larry rice and gerry lee i think?

i have listened to the IMS radio crew a few times this year. they aren't the greatest but they are better than both the US and International TV commentators.

Totally agree! Watched the Milwaukee and Texas race in the States last week and although the US commentators aren't that great, they're still better than Gary and Larry.

Also, it isn't just the Sky that delays the Indycar for Nascar, ESPN do it too! The Nationwide race over ran and the Indy car started a good 45 mins late.

!!WALDO!!
14th June 2008, 20:05
they're still better than Gary and Larry.

Two personal friends of mine. Gary announced for me at races and Larry handled my insurance through K&K.

Nice people and Larry I got to watch in the 1960's racing a Midget. Won the Title in 1973 also and was Co-Rookie of the Year in 1979 at Indy with someone named Rick Mears.

Gary drove midgets for awhile under the supervision of Rice and the stories over cold ones were bladder emptiers. Put Bob Jenkins into the mix, look out.

Give people a break please, this announcing team has been together for 20 years going back to ESPN Thunder Days and are pros.

Reminds me: Jenkins was anchoring the 500 Radio call and he throws it to Gary Lee in Turn 3 with this...."Now to Gary Lee with those famous words".......(Lee)...."Mario Andretti is slowing down"...

Tears of laughter.

!!WALDO!!
14th June 2008, 21:50
Two personal friends of mine. Gary announced for me at races and Larry handled my insurance through K&K.

Nice people and Larry I got to watch in the 1960's racing a Midget. Won the Title in 1973 also and was Co-Rookie of the Year in 1979 at Indy with someone named Rick Mears.

Gary drove midgets for awhile under the supervision of Rice and the stories over cold ones were bladder emptiers. Put Bob Jenkins into the mix, look out.

Give people a break please, this announcing team has been together for 20 years going back to ESPN Thunder Days and are pros.

Reminds me: Jenkins was anchoring the 500 Radio call and he throws it to Gary Lee in Turn 3 with this...."Now to Gary Lee with those famous words".......(Lee)...."Mario Andretti is slowing down"...

Tears of laughter.

Sorry, 1978 not paying attention. Being precise is required.

mikiec
16th June 2008, 11:10

Nice people......

I don't doubt that they're nice guys, but just because they've been together for 20 years, doesn't mean that they're good. They just don't do a very good job and they seem to dumb it down to the level of a 5 yr-old.

Listening to their commentary on the road/street circuits is painful - they talk about it as though we've never seen cars turn right before. I could understand if they were aiming at the NASCAR audience, but the international audience is much more used to circuit racing than ovals, so it's not necessary.

The Champ Car international commentary team was always very good even considering the tight budget they had. Bring back Jeremy Shaw, Hinch and even Leigh Diffey(sp?)!

Lousada
16th June 2008, 12:12
I didn't think they were so bad. You English native-speakers are just spoiled with good commentators.

!!WALDO!!
16th June 2008, 18:11
They just don't do a very good job and they seem to dumb it down to the level of a 5 yr-old.

In the U.S. only 2% of the population knows something about auto racing. So do you play to that or the other 98%?

You know auto racing, right? Then why are the announcer important to you. Do what I do, let the eye balls and brain do the announcing.

Works everytime tried.

(NO REFERENCE, IMPLIED OR REAL TO ANY POSTER, LIVING, DEAD, or NOT YET BORN.)