PDA

View Full Version : The FIA, I mean really, who cares?

Hondo
5th June 2008, 09:42
All this media blathering about the possibility of the Mosley situation tearing the FIA apart...except for the employees that get paid by the FIA, who really cares?

The FIA can't raise or lower fuel prices, start or end wars, stop climate changes (natural or otherwise), lower taxes, feed the world, end the world, or save the world.

They are a private sporting regulatory body. There are hundreds of sports that do not seem to require the regulatory expertise of the FIA, including many different levels and series of motorsports and they are doing just fine. If the FIA were to come apart, another group would ultimately be formed to take it's place if motorsport participants felt the need or desire for such a group.

Possibly the FIA, like many companies and governments, has gotten so large and bloated that it can no longer effectively manage it's responsibilities while trying to be all things to all people. Most people in the American Automobile Association (AAA) use it for travel information, prepared map packets, roadside assistance, and vendor discounts. They never heard of the FIA and could care less. I would venture to guess that's pretty accurate for most private motoring clubs.

Whether the FIA lives or dies won't effect the quaility of your cell phone service, your grocery bill, or the ******* that stole your bicycle, so don't worry about it.

SGWilko
5th June 2008, 09:54
All this media blathering about the possibility of the Mosley situation tearing the FIA apart...except for the employees that get paid by the FIA, who really cares?

The FIA can't raise or lower fuel prices, start or end wars, stop climate changes (natural or otherwise), lower taxes, feed the world, end the world, or save the world.

They are a private sporting regulatory body. There are hundreds of sports that do not seem to require the regulatory expertise of the FIA, including many different levels and series of motorsports and they are doing just fine. If the FIA were to come apart, another group would ultimately be formed to take it's place if motorsport participants felt the need or desire for such a group.

Possibly the FIA, like many companies and governments, has gotten so large and bloated that it can no longer effectively manage it's responsibilities while trying to be all things to all people. Most people in the American Automobile Association (AAA) use it for travel information, prepared map packets, roadside assistance, and vendor discounts. They never heard of the FIA and could care less. I would venture to guess that's pretty accurate for most private motoring clubs.

Whether the FIA lives or dies won't effect the quaility of your cell phone service, your grocery bill, or the ******* that stole your bicycle, so don't worry about it.

Erm, well, those of course that felt the $100m fine for McLaren, and the apparently candid 'half-wit' ststements are two not insignificant issues one can easily attribute to the FIA of its representatives.

I think also theat there is a little moral issue involved too. Now, having the odd 'Sherman Tank' in your private office to relieve the boredom is one thing, but really, what that man did........

Or, to take a different slant. If the guy living next door to your Brothers' house for instance (theoretical this, so bear with me), is quiet, keeps himself to himself, but is always chatty and nice to your niece and nephew.

If he is a convicetd kiddy fiddler, but keeps it quiet (this was done behind closed doors) you'd likely see him in a different light, right? Fanciful, but this s**t happens unfortunately, useless waste of space police dept we have over here in Blighty........

So, Mr - I'll take the moral highground on liars and cheats McLaren Mosely, turns out to have little principles or respect of his own.

DO you see the point that needs to be made.

janneppi
5th June 2008, 10:03
Don't make this into another Mosley thread or it will be closed.

SGWilko
5th June 2008, 10:06
Don't make this into another Mosley thread or it will be closed.

janneppi, can I ask you, and you may know this one, as it is in the news a lot at the moment, but who is at the helm of the FIA, and why would that not be applical in a thread about the FIA? :con*chuffing*fused: :down:

janneppi
5th June 2008, 10:10
You might have noticed there is at least one thread for Mosley already, your post here about kiddy fiddlers had very little, if anything to do with how FIA affects the world, which seems to be the topic of this thread.

Hondo
5th June 2008, 10:16
This is not a Mosley thread, this is a "who really needs the FIA thread?".

SGWilko
5th June 2008, 10:25
You might have noticed there is at least one thread for Mosley already, your post here about kiddy fiddlers had very little, if anything to do with how FIA affects the world, which seems to be the topic of this thread.

OK, fair point. :)

Valve Bounce
5th June 2008, 10:43
I have to agree that most people in the RACV in Victoria or RACQ in Queensland (and so on) go to their respective bodies to get road maps, Insurance, vehicle checks before purchase, and International Drivers' licences, and on road assistance in case of breakdowns.

I, myself, took the step to join the AA in Hong Kong when I was working there and took out life membership; I get reciprocal benefits here in Australia and have called on the RACQ to start my car three times from flat batteries since my return to Australia; and once when I locked myself out of a rental car, they came and helped me retrieve my keys, all for nothing.

I am going to see if my HKAA membership will get me into the RACV Golf Course complex (with accommodation) down in Cape Schanck later this week.

And up until this week, I didn't know these clubs had anything to do with the FIA.

BDunnell
5th June 2008, 13:23

Even though I've made many posts on here about the current Mosley/FIA situation, this is really only because I find it interesting, not because I care deeply one way or the other. However, I don't especially want F1 and, perhaps more so, the WRC to be adversely affected by what's happened any more than they already have been by the decisions of the FIA and others. There is a risk of motorsport losing credibility for all sorts of reasons, not just the current affair. Not least of these is the conspicuous display of wealth and status that F1 particularly puts on. It increasingly doesn't fit the modern world, and makes the sport look bad in the eyes of those who aren't enthusiasts - even in the eyes of some who are.

In many ways, everyday motoring and the regulation of some motorsport (not all, of course) are an odd mix. It's rather like having one association for walking to the shops and Olympic-standard athletics. Is it time to split its responsibilities? Very possibly.

ArrowsFA1
5th June 2008, 13:26
True. Come to that, the world wouldn't end if there were no F1 races, but I'd miss them and what happens to the FIA affects F1 bigtime.

anthonyvop
5th June 2008, 13:26
They are a private sporting regulatory body. There are hundreds of sports that do not seem to require the regulatory expertise of the FIA, including many different levels and series of motorsports and they are doing just fine. .
FIero,
You are wrong on that one. In the US alone the IRL, NASCAR, NHRA, ALMS, SCCA and grand-Am all run under the FIA banner.
Those SCCA club races are FIA. Those Saturday night drag Races are FIA

Knock-on
5th June 2008, 13:33
Actually, can anyone tell me what the FIA actually DOES outside of Motorsport. It is basically a big jolly as far as I can see.

The only thing on the FIA news is that they claim the European Union has backed them in introducing ESC in cars.

.... ummmm, NO!

The EU had the proposal in place and the FIA made a couple of statements about it being a bloody good idea. (Big points for stating the obvious).

Then there was some safety inititive MS and RB did at a Spanish GP in 2005?

Anything else of note inbetween?

It seems that whenever someone has a good idea, the FIA jump on the bandwagon claiming what a great sodding institution they are.

Can someone tell me what Max and the FIA have actually done to justify themselves outside of Motorsport?

BDunnell
5th June 2008, 13:43
Actually, can anyone tell me what the FIA actually DOES outside of Motorsport. It is basically a big jolly as far as I can see.

The only thing on the FIA news is that they claim the European Union has backed them in introducing ESC in cars.

.... ummmm, NO!

The EU had the proposal in place and the FIA made a couple of statements about it being a bloody good idea. (Big points for stating the obvious).

Then there was some safety inititive MS and RB did at a Spanish GP in 2005?

Anything else of note inbetween?

It seems that whenever someone has a good idea, the FIA jump on the bandwagon claiming what a great sodding institution they are.

Can someone tell me what Max and the FIA have actually done to justify themselves outside of Motorsport?

I doubt whether it's as much as JD Power did in the USA, in terms of its effect on car buyers.

markabilly
7th June 2008, 05:06
Justify themselves outside motosports?

Even inside Motorsports, They can not even figure out how to take ambient air temp...let us see, do u leave the probe out in the sun, in the shade or up somewhere......well duhhh

Valve Bounce
7th June 2008, 05:23
True. Come to that, the world wouldn't end if there were no F1 races, but I'd miss them and what happens to the FIA affects F1 bigtime.

Hey Buddy!! if F1 disappears, no worry!! Just follow Aussi Rules,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AbugTv3FzY&NR=1
Gaelic Rules or Hurling. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaxcYB-L_VE

A helluva lot more fun, I guarantee.

Mickey T
7th June 2008, 08:03

NCAP independent crash testing

veeten
7th June 2008, 18:25
FIero,
You are wrong on that one. In the US alone the IRL, NASCAR, NHRA, ALMS, SCCA and grand-Am all run under the FIA banner.
Those SCCA club races are FIA. Those Saturday night drag Races are FIA

The US racing associations are independent, with their connection to FIA made through the organization known as ACCUS (http://www.accusfia.us/).

Sleeper
7th June 2008, 20:48
The US racing associations are independent, with their connection to FIA made through the organization known as ACCUS (http://www.accusfia.us/).
If I've read that website right, then ACCUS is the American arm of the FIA, making Anthony's post correct. The organisers of those series are apart of ACCUS, which is apart of the FIA.

BDunnell
7th June 2008, 21:25

But how many people actually associate Euro NCAP with the FIA? Very few, I'm sure.

Valve Bounce
8th June 2008, 00:24
But how many people actually associate Euro NCAP with the FIA? Very few, I'm sure.

Never heard of it. :(

ioan
8th June 2008, 12:42
Never heard of it. :(

Ah you ignorant! :D I thought you got a Volvo! :p :

Valve Bounce
8th June 2008, 13:40
Ah you ignorant! :D I thought you got a Volvo! :p :

Now I remember - it's some study on whiplash!! :eek:

Knock-on
9th June 2008, 10:13

Ummmm, don't think so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAP

Nothing to do with the FIA although I'm sure they claim responsibility. It appears to be their model to align themselves with others good ideas.

I'm waiting for ioan to give me a list of all the superb things the FIA has done for Motorists as he claims.

:laugh:

BDunnell
9th June 2008, 10:39
Ummmm, don't think so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAP

Nothing to do with the FIA although I'm sure they claim responsibility. It appears to be their model to align themselves with others good ideas.

I'm waiting for ioan to give me a list of all the superb things the FIA has done for Motorists as he claims.

:laugh:

Yes, gone quiet on that front, hasn't it?

Knock-on
9th June 2008, 12:14
Yes, gone quiet on that front, hasn't it?

But Max is a God who has saved Motoring and Motorsport from the likes of people like Bernie :laugh:

Yeah, right ;)

Everyone knows I am no fan of Bernie but you have to say that he stepped in and restructured F1 when it was threatening to implode. If it wasn't for Bernie then there might not be a F1 so credit where it's due.

Max on the other hand?????

BDunnell
9th June 2008, 13:15
But Max is a God who has saved Motoring and Motorsport from the likes of people like Bernie :laugh:

Yeah, right ;)

I think your sarcasm has gone too far this time. Every time you go out and aren't killed by a car, you really should write a letter to Max thanking him. You wouldn't believe the number of times his fine and noble stewardship of this motoring organisation has saved my life. And his contribution to the improved crash protection of caravans really should go down in the history books.

Knock-on
9th June 2008, 15:00
I think your sarcasm has gone too far this time. Every time you go out and aren't killed by a car, you really should write a letter to Max thanking him. You wouldn't believe the number of times his fine and noble stewardship of this motoring organisation has saved my life. And his contribution to the improved crash protection of caravans really should go down in the history books.

Wow, I stand corrected.

I'm just penning a letter as we speak but I haven't got his home address.

Think I'll just post it to a flat in London where he can whip over anytime to pick it up.

SOD
9th June 2008, 16:26

:laugh: , I dont think that the FIA was ever set up to deal with those issues.

When it comes to motorsport, I'm sure insurance is the biggest matter.

see what it costs to insure motorsport events by yourself and get back to us. :)