PDA

View Full Version : DP01's bought for new series....?

BobGarage
4th June 2008, 17:08
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/wire/chi-ap-car-champcarauction,0,904216.story

INDIANAPOLIS - Fans who attended an auction Tuesday at Champ Car headquarters relished the chance to buy genuine chassis and other racing hardware, but the sale made the league's demise hit home.

Champ Car merged with the Indy Racing League earlier this year, signaling the end of a 12-year split in open wheel racing. Some fans said the competition between leagues would have been good for the sport if done properly.

"It's a sad event," said Ben Johnston, a collector from Atlanta. "I hate to see the demise of Champ Car, but I think there's definitely more interest in open wheel racing than there's been in recent years."

The money went to creditors of the bankrupt racing series. Among the items for sale were five Champ Car chassis, four of which Johnston bought. He purchased the first for $47,000 -- he said he paid too much for it -- but he wants to use them in a series starting in 2010. After his purchases, he now has 20 chassis.

"The cars we run will have environmentally friendly motors," he said. "I want to promote eco-friendly, alternate solutions."

Chuck Haines, who runs Can-Am Cars Ltd., a collecting and restoring business in the St. Louis area that already has 45 cars, said the auction was rare.

"This kind of opportunity doesn't come very often," he said. "Maybe once every five, 10, 20 years. I've never seen it happen on this scale."

He left without any of the available chassis, though he bid on one of them. He said the prices of most items were driven up by sentimental fans.

"I knew they'd be high, but I didn't expect it to this extent," he said. "I thought certain things would go high. Things just got out of hand."

Prices were even too much for one of the IRL teams. John O'Gara, team manager of Sarah Fisher racing, tried to buy a transporter trailer, but stopped bidding at $91,000. It sold for $92,000.

"We're trying to get our race team built up," O'Gara said. "We knew what we could afford."

While collectors and race teams looked to stock up, many average fans could only watch.

"There are no bargains to be had here," said David Sassman, who has been following racing for five decades. "You have a lot of private collectors willing to invest more dollars than the average fan."

The collectors were happy to do it.

"It's a very unique experience," Johnston said. "You never see anything like this event. There are a lot of amazing cars under one roof."

sound slike a guy with money to burn. I can't see his new series being a sucess.

dataman1
4th June 2008, 17:47
I believe this same guy bought all the safety trucks as well. The officials and team members I talked with did not recognize the guy. He obviously had an objective as he was outbidding people on-line and on-site. I believe he also bought a pair of pace cars, a Mazda and a Mustang. He had some deep pockets or one heck of line of credit.

The chassis' he bought were not just DP01's. He also bought an old Reynard. He had a younger man with him doing some of his bidding to keep up with both auction rings.

I wonder what he means by eco-friendly. Electric? Bio-fuel? "The french fry oil series" HaHa

NickFalzone
4th June 2008, 18:16
A late model open-wheel series would be great, especially if they can get access to some of the bigger tracks. Ideally IRL drivers would be able to compete in both if the schedules worked out right. The current 20 race schedule leaves room for extra curricular activities.

beachbum
4th June 2008, 19:00
This might be the same Ben Johnston.

http://www.champcaratlantic.com/Drivers/Driver.asp?ID=402

The age is about right based on a picture from the auction.

http://it.eurosport.yahoo.com/03062008/1/immagine/johnston-right-of-atlanta-makes-the-winning-bid-of-47.html

Other than that, he seems basically anonymous.

dataman1
4th June 2008, 19:13
Beachbum, thanks for the picture of Johnston. It helps me to clarify an error I made above. The guy that bought the safety trucks and pace cars was not the same guy that bought the chassis'. My error. Sorry.

slipnslide
4th June 2008, 19:25
What are the Vegas odds that that most honest and competent of the artists formerly known as "The Amigo's" (Gentilozzi) has somehow seized control of this man's wits and wallet, manipulating his passion into actions that will fail and hurt and maybe net said manipulator some money and/or toys? God I hope this paranoid thought is just that...

inimitablestoo
4th June 2008, 19:40
It always struck me as sad that a whole gridful of cars would be parked after only a season (and a bit) of racing. When I heard that there was a new organisation trying to revive the Grand Prix Masters idea I thought they could be a potential buyer, especially since they said they only had about 15 of the Reynard-based cars available, but they seem to be sticking with what they've got.

Given what we saw at Long Beach, though, a mini-series Champ Car Masters would work quite nicely. If it only ran something like four to six races a year it could probably tempt guys like Jimmy Vasser, who wouldn't necessarily want to do a full season's racing.

Incidentally, I did receive an e-mail about the auction the other week, telling me time and place and giving details of the lots. On my salary I might just have been able to afford to fly out there and fly straight back home again...

!!WALDO!!
4th June 2008, 22:40
Interesting a guy from Atlanta buys some cars for 1/5th of the price and the cars were built up the road from Atlanta, Brazelton.

Could this guy be oone of the money guys at the design company? Not Panoz the builder.

Just interesting how things turn out.

gofastandwynn
4th June 2008, 22:51
Supposedly this guy has been buying up old champ cars for years now to create a ferrari challenge-like BOSS series, where one team runs all the cars and the drivers fly in.

To point out, there were 3 DP-01's for sale, and the article said he bought 4 cars which would point to more of a club setting.

weeflyonthewall
4th June 2008, 23:44
Supposedly this guy has been buying up old champ cars for years now to create a ferrari challenge-like BOSS series, where one team runs all the cars and the drivers fly in.

To point out, there were 3 DP-01's for sale, and the article said he bought 4 cars which would point to more of a club setting.

And who bought the DP01's owned by the former CC owners not shown at the auction?

gofastandwynn
5th June 2008, 00:20
And who bought the DP01's owned by the former CC owners not shown at the auction?

How many of them have been bought?

millencolin
5th June 2008, 03:08
i would of thought one of those Superleague-soccer series team may have bought one to use it as a testing mule, since its basically the same chassis

anthonyvop
5th June 2008, 04:19
Whatever series count me in.

The US is in dire need of a top rung formula series.

5th June 2008, 05:16
Yes it's always great to buy some race cars in the auction as it would be some prestige issue for the buyer and he'll be proud and happy to show to all his neighbors

-Helix-
5th June 2008, 06:08
It always struck me as sad that a whole gridful of cars would be parked after only a season (and a bit) of racing.

Well it's not like it's a new thing. Back when AOW was in it's prime teams got new cars every year

MAX_THRUST
5th June 2008, 10:53
Why do you think it will be in the US?

There are big markets untapped in Canada right now. South America, and Europe always manages to squeeze in another open wheel series sonewhere.

Take your pick and wait and see....

Oh I know nothing about this, so I'm not trying to be clever.