PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Grand Prix thread

ShiftingGears
4th June 2008, 12:38
http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/tenday/CAXX0301?from=36hr_topnav_business

Showers are predicted. Fingers crossed.

Azumanga Davo
4th June 2008, 13:01
http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/tenday/CAXX0301?from=36hr_topnav_business

Showers are predicted. Fingers crossed.

Vettel and Sutil have everything they, um, own crossed for that scenario I imagine.

Ranger
4th June 2008, 13:04
I just hope it's a good race!

Knock-on
4th June 2008, 13:23
I know I shouldn't but I just get all excited when there is a prospect of rain these days. What a sad indication of the sport.

Bit of rain = good racing.

ArrowsFA1
4th June 2008, 13:27
Who was it who suggested fitting circuits with sprinklers, then turning them on at random during a GP :confused: Bernie? :p

jens
4th June 2008, 17:42
Ferrari probably can again be expected to be the "team to beat" since they seem to be the best on every type of circuit. Last year's winner Hamilton seems to really enjoy this circuit, so he may create some headaches to Ferraris. Hopefully Kovalainen will have a problemfree race finally, so we can see, what he can really do. BMW has some proving to do - probably in the dry Kubica wouldn't have had a chance to fight for the win at Monaco. And recently it has seemed like BMW's form is falling. Also important proving place for last year's second man Heidfeld.

I'm a bit sceptical about Renault-powered teams as acceleration is vital at a circuit like Montreal. But Webber could traditionally snatch a point or two as he has been doing this season and also Alonso has been consistently able to get that car somehow into Q3. In the midfield the chances of the Toyota-powered teams may be regarded higher. Williams seems to be doing really well on circuits, which demand mechanical grip and last year Rosberg was running between Ferraris before safety car ruined his race. In dry Toyota should be point-material too, but don't know, how will their strategy work out this time.

At Monaco the gap between 1st and 10th in qualifying was again closer than I can remember from any other season (0.718 s).

So I'll give the gaps from this century's Canadian Grand Prix' qualifyings, which show the loss of tenth fastest time to the best result in qualifying.

2007 - 1.124
2006 - 1.088
2005 - 1.145
2004 - 2.257
2003 - 1.410
2002 - 1.852
2001 - 1.341

Having seen the tendency in 2008 so far, then will Top10 be covered within less than a second this time?

Bezza
5th June 2008, 12:42
This track regularly provides an exciting race, the track is slippery and there is a low room for error. Safety periods breed more safety periods, even in the dry - as last year showed.

Wet or dry, I think the race will be exciting. What would be really exciting, is changeable qualifying which would mix up the grid.

ioan
5th June 2008, 13:35
Who was it who suggested fitting circuits with sprinklers, then turning them on at random during a GP :confused: Bernie? :p

With Bernie you never know what random means! I wouldn't trust it being random. :rolleyes:

ShiftingGears
6th June 2008, 06:33
Vettel and Sutil have everything they, um, own crossed for that scenario I imagine.

I'd imagine so as well. In addition, I predict my pickems will either be horribly right or horribly wrong.

ShiftingGears
6th June 2008, 06:39

I'd imagine so as well. In addition, I predict my pickems will either be horribly right or horribly wrong.

Big Ben
6th June 2008, 07:21
I'm amazed nobody has started a new thread about McLaren keeping the 5th slot in the pitlane :laugh:

Azumanga Davo
6th June 2008, 11:17
Give it time... ;)

pino
6th June 2008, 13:41
Thursday's Press Conference (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68002) :)

SGWilko
6th June 2008, 13:50
I'm amazed nobody has started a new thread about McLaren keeping the 5th slot in the pitlane :laugh:

I love a good game of musical pit boxes......

Valve Bounce
6th June 2008, 14:31
Too late for me tonight. The quals and race are on at 1 am our time. I'm too old for that :(

N. Jones
6th June 2008, 15:49
For once the qualy and race with be around 11:00am or 12:00pm so I am happy about that!

gloomyDAY
6th June 2008, 17:47
For once the qualy and race with be around 11:00am or 12:00pm so I am happy about that!Me too!

Hey, anyone else chuckle at Trulli's offs?
Holy crap. Toyota really needs to dial in that car a lot better.

ioan
6th June 2008, 18:57
Too late for me tonight. The quals and race are on at 1 am our time. I'm too old for that :(

At least it's live, I don't get it at all because of the Soccer show, whoever is interested by 22 guys kicking a ball around for 90 minutes! :rolleyes:

If anyone knows a site with live streaming of F1 races, please help! :D

jens
6th June 2008, 19:58
If it rains on race day, then there are two things that can be predicted quite comfortably: Trulli will finish last and Glock last but one. It's a bit harder to predict other positions.

mstillhere
7th June 2008, 01:27
At least it's live, I don't get it at all because of the Soccer show, whoever is interested by 22 guys kicking a ball around for 90 minutes! :rolleyes:

Hi Ian, try this one: http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/index.shtml.
I think they do but not for free. good luck.

Valve Bounce
7th June 2008, 02:56

ioan, go to pino's chat room here: http://hyena-hosting.com/chat/phpMyChat.php3
just before quals and ask the guys there. The link I had doesn't work :(
One of the guys did provide a link to a Spanish telecast also. Good luck. You might want to go in disguise because they might not give it to you if you go to the chat room as ioan. :D :rotflmao:

CaptainRaiden
7th June 2008, 07:28
Good luck. You might want to go in disguise because they might not give it to you if you go to the chat room as ioan. :D :rotflmao:

:laugh: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

gloomyDAY
7th June 2008, 15:27
Why is Bunsen struggling so much in the Honda?

Ruben's hates the car too but is coping a lot better.

ioan
7th June 2008, 16:01
ioan, go to pino's chat room here: http://hyena-hosting.com/chat/phpMyChat.php3
just before quals and ask the guys there. The link I had doesn't work :(
One of the guys did provide a link to a Spanish telecast also. Good luck. You might want to go in disguise because they might not give it to you if you go to the chat room as ioan. :D :rotflmao:

You're having good fun, that's a good sign!
I'll go on the chat room in disguise than, as VB! :D

ioan
7th June 2008, 16:02
Why is Bunsen struggling so much in the Honda?

Ruben's hates the car too but is coping a lot better.

Because Button needs a nicely balanced car in order to have the courage to push it, while Rubens is giving his best allways. And he's also better! ;)

ioan
7th June 2008, 16:05
Hi Ian, try this one: http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/index.shtml.
I think they do but not for free. good luck.

Thanks for the link. :)

Ghostwalker
7th June 2008, 16:19

http://www.myp2p.eu

direct link to live streams:

http://www.myp2p.eu/competition.php?competitionid=&part=sports&discipline=motorsports

Its free.

aryan
7th June 2008, 19:02
Good job Hamilton.

How come he was soo much faster than everyone else?

Top 9 separated by almost 3 seconds?

What's going on?

veeten
7th June 2008, 19:11
others didn't have it, except for Kubica. Took the time, only for LH to take it right back.

That was a fun 10 seconds. :D

ioan
7th June 2008, 19:12
The track is a mess, the tarmac started braking up again, especially in the hairpin area where acceleration and braking forces are biggest.

Expect it to be a mess after 30 laps tomorrow.

Well done to Hamilton and Kubica! :up:
The rest of them should start working on some good strategies for tomorrow given the state of the track surface.

ioan
7th June 2008, 19:14
29 degrees and rain storm forecast for tomorrow. This should be fun to watch!

jens
7th June 2008, 20:07
Wow, without a shed of doubt Hamilton was the best qualifier today. There's no way that car is so much better than the others! Actually in the hands of Kovalainen it looked nothing special. 0,3 secs in Q2 and 0,6 secs in Q3 was the advantage of LH ahead of the next guy. Already last year Hamilton showed that he really enjoys the Montreal circuit and looked like a man from another planet.

Kubica was anonymous for most of the qualifying, so I wonder whether he managed to find a special lap on his last attempt too. Or was it fuel load? Great job by Alonso and Barrichello! In Q2 also by Webber. Funny that Honda complained about top speeds, but Rubens made it into Q3. Heidfeld showed signs of improvement. Nakajima looked impressive in Q1, didn't turn out so well in Q2 (with his Q1 time would have been 5th in Q2!). The Japanese guy still seems to lack of consistency it seems.

Again the most hopeless performances by Jr and DC, losing by 0,9 and 0,7 secs to their team-mates respectively. That is way too much. Sutil finally beats Fisichella in qualifying fair and square. Vettel continues his F1 campaign together with Unluck - but at least he has got 4 points, so the season isn't a full failure. Massa was ahead of Räikkönen both in Q1 and Q2, so I wonder whether he has heavier fuel load. But whatever it is, it really looked like an unimpressive performance by the Ferrari guys today. Even visually they looked slow out of the hairpin - strangely most of Ferrari's loss came in the last sector. Hamilton also seemed to take more risks in driving closer to the walls.

Was Trulli drunk today? :laugh: Like three spins or what? It's almost unbelievable, how quickly Toyota is dropping backwards, but Toy has often been capable of making negative surprises. I'm giving up all the hopes now.

pettersolberg29
7th June 2008, 20:14
Anyone other than me feel Heidfeld and Rosberg will battle for a podium place if it rains?

jens
7th June 2008, 20:20
Anyone other than me feel Heidfeld and Rosberg will battle for a podium place if it rains?

I think in the rain Nakajima will be a more likely podium contender in the Williams camp. :p :

aryan
7th June 2008, 20:23
The pace of Toyota's development throughout the year is staggering, NOT!

That car was solidly the 4th fastest car in the first 3 races, before the European season began.

It's gonna be interesting tomorrow, with thunderstorms forecasted, and that disintegrating tarmac.

truefan72
7th June 2008, 20:38
If it rains, and I think it might, it will be interesting to see if the Ferrari's are well prepared for that eventuality. I can't beleive they are 1second slower than the McLaren's.

Anyway, brilliant LH, wow RK, Very very impressive FA, Great job NR,
congrats to Rubesn bringing in the Car to Q3

:down: Fisi, Trulli, NPJr ( although I wonder what fuel strategy he's on), and especially the track which doesn't seem to be holding up. I love the canada GP, amongst my top 3 next to spa and imola. But they got to resurface the entire track for next year.

Sleeper
7th June 2008, 20:39
Stunning lap from Hamilton. It was fun watching the split times in todays session with Hamilton and the other front runners all being about the same and then all losing anything up to half a second to Lewis in the final sector, and in Massa's case anything up to 0.8s. I suspect he might be a bit light for tomorrow but still, he'd have to be pitting on lap 6 to acount for 0.9s on Kimi!

Quality laps from Alonso, Kubica and Rosberg to take up the rest of the top 5. Heidfeldt is clearly still strugling with qualy.

Sleeper
7th June 2008, 20:40
:down: Fisi, Trulli, NPJr ( although I wonder what fuel strategy he's on), and especially the track which doesn't seem to be holding up. I love the canada GP, amongst my top 3 next to spa and imola. But they got to resurface the entire track for next year.
I wouldnt, its the new tarmac thats breaking up.

ioan
7th June 2008, 20:52
I wouldnt, its the new tarmac thats breaking up.

They should import some from Europe then, They seem to be the only race track with such problems!

janneppi
7th June 2008, 21:03
Both Kimi and Massa seemed to have some problems in turn 10(?) in Q3, is that where the surface was breaking up the most?

Bezza
7th June 2008, 21:49
The tarmac was breaking up partly because of the heat, so...if its dry tomorrow then it will be exciting. If it rains, its always exciting. So us as fans can't lose. My pickems say Kubica for first career win and I stick by that, with Hamilton in second and Alonso motoring to third. Both Ferrari's will struggle and two drivers will crash into Champions Wall.

Ranger
8th June 2008, 00:02
60% chance of rain with the track breaking up. Should be interesting!

Valve Bounce
8th June 2008, 00:15
They should import some from Europe then, They seem to be the only race track with such problems!

They need me to check the mix, voids ratio and Marshall Stability of the Asphaltic Concrete, and ensure that it meets AASHTO standards. Also, they need strict quality control during batching of the mix to ensure temperatures and gradings of the mix meet specifications, and the spreading and rolling is carried out to specifications and that the specified density of the material placed and rolled meets specifications.

Valve Bounce
8th June 2008, 00:31
The track is being resurfaced this moment as I write this, started after the last car left the track.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68095
My concern is the placing of AC after dark; the quality of the product is extremely difficult to control when it is hastily carried out, especially at night under varying temperature conditions. I hope they get it right.

ShiftingGears
8th June 2008, 01:09
I will be impressed if that resurfacing is completed to a high standard.

ShiftingGears
8th June 2008, 01:13
Also, nice to see that Raikkonen has upped his qualifying performance compared to Massa. It's a safe assumption that Kimi has less fuel, but even then, I was not expecting Massa or Kovalainen to be 6th and 7th on the grid.

ShiftingGears
8th June 2008, 01:22
"What can I say? I put together a clean lap and everyone else was struggling with the track's poor surfaces and I found a solution," he said.

"At the end of the day if there is a problem, it is my job to find a solution and get around it as quick as possible. So I am not surprised that I have that big a gap there, because I can see other people would probably not have found it. So that is why I am on pole."

He added: "It is one of my skills. I am able to adjust to whatever conditions I have, and that is probably why I am so strong in the wet. I feel at home, I feel comfortable. And it wasn't tough, to be honest."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68098

So, what was his solution?

Valve Bounce
8th June 2008, 02:16
Possibly in feathering the accelerator properly around that corner.

Valve Bounce
8th June 2008, 02:22
I will be impressed if that resurfacing is completed to a high standard.

If it rains during any of the resurfacing, then these guys are in for one bloody big surprise during the race.

ShiftingGears
8th June 2008, 02:52
Possibly in feathering the accelerator properly around that corner.

Perhaps, as I did not notice any remarkably different lines that he drove through that corner. I am impressed with his mindset, knowing that he has to constantly adapt to different conditions all the time, rather than trying to drive the same line through the changing corner, and then blaming the surface when that doesn't work. I admire those qualities in a racing driver, and I wish there were more drivers that held that view instead of wanting every circuit made easier.
His self-appraisal in the press conference was certainly justfied!

If it rains during any of the resurfacing, then these guys are in for one bloody big surprise during the race.

I am not sure of the complete effects of rain on setting asphalt besides a loss of some structural integrity. Would that cause a lack of grip or surface break-up in less than one day from setting?

Valve Bounce
8th June 2008, 03:44
I am not sure of the complete effects of rain on setting asphalt besides a loss of some structural integrity. Would that cause a lack of grip or surface break-up in less than one day from setting?

Apart from anything else, like the control of the precise specs of what is being produced at the batching plant, AC needs to be placed within certain temperature limits, and the rolling commencement and completion is to be carried out within a definite temperature range.

I don't know of any authority which would permit the placement of AC in rain these days. It would affect the strength of the AC for sure. The high G loads under braking and cornering at the hairpin would be of concern if the AC was re-constructed in the rain.

Ranger
8th June 2008, 04:32
Apart from anything else, like the control of the precise specs of what is being produced at the batching plant, AC needs to be placed within certain temperature limits, and the rolling commencement and completion is to be carried out within a definite temperature range.

I don't know of any authority which would permit the placement of AC in rain these days. It would affect the strength of the AC for sure. The high G loads under braking and cornering at the hairpin would be of concern if the AC was re-constructed in the rain.

Cheers for that info. :up:

Are you a civil engineer by any chance?

PSfan
8th June 2008, 05:36

Well, I may be speaking from the point of view of a contractor, but percipitation alone wouldn't prevent the placement of asphault, but when it forms puddles is when it becomes an issue (neither is probably an issue because the weather network is calling for clear skys overnight.) Also I've worked one summer with an asphault crew during the fall, the magic number in order to place asphault (temputure wise...) was I believe 5c and they are calling for overnight temps of 20c in Montreal. However, I would be curious if the FIA has a "mix design" already or if they are planning on using whatever is handy... And of course, is the 12-14 hours enough time for the asphault to cure enough to take F1 punishment...

truefan72
8th June 2008, 05:46
man, some insightful and educational info with regard to AC and resurfacing.
That's why I like this forum!

TMorel
8th June 2008, 09:31
OK, Valve, I'm really confused. I always thought your job was to do with yacht designs - unless they're ditching lead in favor of asphalt in keel now, or are you just this massive font of all knowledge?

Valve Bounce
8th June 2008, 09:58
My profession is Civil Engineer, my passion was competing in yacht racing. Hope that clears it up.

Marshall
8th June 2008, 10:24
Got to say I too was very impressed with Hamilton's quali performance. As a Ferrari fan usually I don't happily admit things like this often but he did a great job yesterday so it seems.

jens
8th June 2008, 12:15
Reading Hamilton's and Räikkönen's comments after qualifying, it really looks like a serious test of drivers' adaptability took place and the cream rose to the top. In Top5 places there are 5 different teams and if Webber hadn't hit the wall in Q2, we could have had 6 different teams in Top6. :p :

It looks like whatever the weather will do, we will see more of this in the race. :cool:

Valve Bounce
8th June 2008, 12:56
I wonder if anyone knows the progress of the resurfacing of the hairpin and the other corner overnight. From my checking of the Weather Channel Desktop, it is supposed rain with isolated thunderstorms from 10 am and then T-showers from 1 pm.

Maybe we will see more of Adrian Sutil once again. Wouldn't that be wonderful!!

ioan
8th June 2008, 13:04
"What can I say? I put together a clean lap and everyone else was struggling with the track's poor surfaces and I found a solution," he said.

"At the end of the day if there is a problem, it is my job to find a solution and get around it as quick as possible. So I am not surprised that I have that big a gap there, because I can see other people would probably not have found it. So that is why I am on pole."

He added: "It is one of my skills. I am able to adjust to whatever conditions I have, and that is probably why I am so strong in the wet. I feel at home, I feel comfortable. And it wasn't tough, to be honest."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68098

So, what was his solution?

We should ask his engineers as Ibet they were the ones who found the solution and not Lewy.

Valve Bounce
8th June 2008, 13:10
We should ask his engineers as Ibet they were the ones who found the solution and not Lewy.

Maybe they asked Ferrari!! :p : by e-mail!! :D

ioan
8th June 2008, 13:36
Maybe they asked Ferrari!! :p : by e-mail!! :D

I doubt it! There was nothing to learn, both Ferraris were losing aound 1 second in the hairpin.

Valve Bounce
8th June 2008, 13:38
I doubt it! There was nothing to learn, both Ferraris were losing aound 1 second in the hairpin.

You think maybe they have a secret switch that selects Trax?

ioan
8th June 2008, 14:01
You think maybe they have a secret switch that selects Trax?

I doubt it, but if it was the case than why they are giving it only to Lewy?!

grantb4
8th June 2008, 15:21
Any word on the resurfacing or weather this AM?

gloomyDAY
8th June 2008, 15:55
Time for another wet race. :bounce:

Sun Tzu said: The onrush of a conquering force is like the bursting of pent-up waters into a chasm a thousand fathoms deep. So much for tactical dispositions.

N. Jones
8th June 2008, 16:05
Via: http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caqc0363

Temp - 30C, wind - SW 25km/h, condition - risk of thunderstorms, probability - 80%.

markabilly
8th June 2008, 17:21
LH was taking a slightly different line than Kube, but as to what he was doing at the hairpin, braking late or early, speed in the corner, throttle or whatever, I could not tell.

Wonder about the data telementary....did he share with HK???

F1boat
8th June 2008, 17:28
Rain with this track, I have a bad feeling about it. I don't want to see drivers harmed. I pray that all will be well.

cosmicpanda
8th June 2008, 17:34
It won't rain due to F1's portable dry microclimate.

In Monaco they just accidentally turned it on too late :p :

pettersolberg29
8th June 2008, 17:42
Could be in for an exciting, if dangerous race if it rains and turn 10 is as bad as it sounds on ITV.

Ghostwalker
8th June 2008, 18:24
Hamilton you a** Lewis screwes up again and ruin KImis race.

harvick#1
8th June 2008, 18:24
bonehead of the race,

Hamilton, got to stop on a red Lewis :rolleyes:

its all Kubicas race now :D

Daniel
8th June 2008, 18:25
Hamilton you a** Lewis screwes up again and ruin KImis race.
Hope he gets a penalty for that. Truly unacceptable.......

Ghostwalker
8th June 2008, 18:26
hamilton and McLaren should get penalized for this. Too bad we were robbed of the presumed dragrace between Raki and Kubica

gloomyDAY
8th June 2008, 18:29
Nice one Hamilton....

huxleypiguk
8th June 2008, 18:31
What the heck is the pits doing with a red light when they were flagged as open. This is an absolute farce.

Daniel
8th June 2008, 18:33
What the heck is the pits doing with a red light when they were flagged as open. This is an absolute farce.
Obviously the train was coming past again soon. It's the rules and Hamiltool screwed up.

gloomyDAY
8th June 2008, 18:36
I think the fallout from this incident is going to definitely change the SC rules.

Daika
8th June 2008, 18:36
What could be Hamilton punishment?

Daniel
8th June 2008, 18:39
Loss of points, grid penalty for next race? All sufficient penalty. For Rosberg too of course.

Ghostwalker
8th June 2008, 18:40

I'm not sure but Possible fines and a "move back" on the grid at next GP. I doubt that they will do anything about his points which would be the only fair thing to do.

Red light or not Lewis AND the team should have noticed the red light.

jonny hurlock
8th June 2008, 18:43
i would like to ask why the safety car came out for what reason?

Ghostwalker
8th June 2008, 18:47
i would like to ask why the safety car came out for what reason?

A. Sutils car had broken down and stood in a very inappropiate position and the brakes caught fire. the SC was then brought out so that they could move the car out of the way.

markabilly
8th June 2008, 18:52
Not stopping at red lights? Is that what he meant when he said:

jonny hurlock
8th June 2008, 18:52
A. Sutils car had broken down and stood in a very inappropiate position and the brakes caught fire. the SC was then brought out so that they could move the car out of the way.

see it, didn't need to have the safety car out imo. itv just had a break when came on the safety car come out, thanks ghostwalker

N
8th June 2008, 18:54
I couldn't believe it when I saw Hamilton drive into Kimi with the red light in the pit lane... :( a very stupid mistake, I feel sorry for Kimi.

SGWilko
8th June 2008, 18:57
I know exactly how Lewis feels. I hit a learner driver after she stalled at a junction. (I was checking for approaching traffic after I saw her start to pull away). Maybe Lewis was looking in the mirrors or distracted somehow. Not that I think it is not his fault, as it is....

Dunno what the penalty will be or ought to be, but lets just wait and see.

Deffo a schoolboy error. Very sporting pat on the back from Kimi.

osg
8th June 2008, 19:01
to not take 100% blame for the incident though just proves to me lewis is an arrogant twat..... yes he was fast, but he got jumped in the pits, and kimi was quicker leading into the stops.

Thank you very much Lewis.

Daniel
8th June 2008, 19:02
Very sporting pat on the back from Kimi.

You missed him pointing at the light. No need for Kimi to be sporting.

Ghostwalker
8th June 2008, 19:07
Fisico is out. New SC?

ioan
8th June 2008, 19:11
Someone shoot the Ferrari strategist! :mad:

Daniel
8th June 2008, 19:12
Did Massa not run some CF over in Hammy's bonehead incident so had to pit again?

ioan
8th June 2008, 19:17
Did Massa not run some CF over in Hammy's bonehead incident so had to pit again?

Would he be the only one to be so unlucky?! I doubt it.
Why did they fuel him for 10 seconds when he came back?!

And why not fuel him to the end?!
Why bring him in at the end when he didn't have enough advantage over the following ones?! Becaue there was a SC car chance?!
WTF were they trying to do win the race they lost at the beginning?!

Very very poor strategy, for the 2nd time in a row! Idiots.

Daika
8th June 2008, 19:21
"I saw the two guys in front of me and all of a sudden they stopped. I saw the red light but it was a bit late. I apologise to Kimi if I ruined his race."

Idiot, who else ruined his race??!! You Hamilton

Daniel
8th June 2008, 19:23
"I saw the two guys in front of me and all of a sudden they stopped. I saw the red light but it was a bit late. I apologise to Kimi if I ruined his race."

Idiot, who else ruined his race??!! You Hamilton
Hamilton's "It happens" attitude is a little irritating considering it was all his fault.....

ioan
8th June 2008, 19:25
Hamilton's "It happens" attitude is a little irritating considering it was all his fault.....

I agree.

Kimi now knows a bit what Sutil must have felt in Monaco!

Daika
8th June 2008, 19:28

The more i read the quote the angrier i get.

All of the sudden they stopped... Yes Hamilton that is because of the red light. Not so sudden.

ioan
8th June 2008, 19:32
Good show from Massa, pitty he didn't manage one more place.

Daniel
8th June 2008, 19:32
I agree.

Not really. Sutil got boned in a race situation. Kimi got boned in a traffic light incident.

osg
8th June 2008, 19:33
Fantastic win by Kubica and BMW Sauber........ that has been a long time coming.

gloomyDAY
8th June 2008, 19:33
I agree.

Kimi now knows a bit what Sutil must have felt in Monaco!Sutil may be laughing in his garage.

Daniel
8th June 2008, 19:34
Fantastic win by Kubica and BMW Sauber........ that has been a long time coming.
Definitely :) Well deserved win.

Daika
8th June 2008, 19:38
Congrats to Kubica!!!

Ghostwalker
8th June 2008, 19:38
I agree.

its some difference:

1. Kimi lost control of his car while approaching a corner and hit Sutil
2. Sutil would have been penalized for overtaking during yellow flag and would not have finished in the place where he was when kimi hit him.

janneppi
8th June 2008, 19:39
I knew I should have watched Columbo instead last part of the of the race after the footy game ended. :(
Silly error from Hamilton. Nice pass from Massa taking advantage over Kovalainen's pass at someone.

harvick#1
congrats to Kubica and BMW. finally Blue and white take the checkers

gloomyDAY
I still maintain that DC should retire, but kudos to the old goat.

osg
8th June 2008, 19:42
Hell of a battle coming up for the WDC........ Kubica now leads, 7 points from 1st to 4th.

Oh, and i expect at least a 5 place grid penalty for Hamilton next race after that rookie mistake....... he deserves nothing less.

markabilly
8th June 2008, 19:52
Beemer is just showing it's stuff, the best running cars behind mac and Ferrari.

If Lewis had not bonked Kimi, or bonked the Kube instead of Kimi.....well.....Nevertheless, an excellent race by Beemer

"If I cost Kimi the race"--It looked to me that LH was first headed right towards Kube, but swerved over into Kimi..........I wonder if that was a deliberate choice of having realized that the brakes were too cold to stop quick enough, so who do I hit.....???? Hummmm....

N. Jones
8th June 2008, 19:52
Good on ya, Kubica! Nice win even though Quick Nick mustn't be too happy about it!

Can anyone confirm who had fastest lap? Last I saw it was Raikkonen. Need to make sure FGP is in order.

pettersolberg29
8th June 2008, 20:00
Good drive by Heidfeld too. Still got 2nd after only 8th in qualifying - and stopped Alonso effectively.

Could be a title winning combo BMW have for next year - Kubica with his raw pace and talent, and Nick's consistency could lead to mega points, especially if Raikkonen decides to quit.

BDunnell
8th June 2008, 20:05
Fantastic, history-making stuff from Kubica and BMW. I'm glad I watched it. And a great fillip for Coulthard, too.

Shifter
8th June 2008, 20:09
Congratulations to BMW! I have been a fan of Kubica ever since his first race in Hungary and I stuck with him through his 'learning year' last year. Always fast, consistent, mistake-free... and a bit lucky this time was what he needed! His consistency is why he now leads the championship. This won't be his WDC year, but certainly his WDC is in the near future!

truefan72
8th June 2008, 20:21
great race for Kubica - a historic maidenvictory, which I'm sure might not be the last...even this season.

Terrible mistake by LH. He was off and running until the unecessary safety car came up and then made a blunder at the pit exit. It's amazing how many people here are ready to pounce on him for this mistake. I'm sure he feels terrible. He wasleading the WDC and looked like he was going to stretch it prior to the mishap.

It wasn't a good day for either Mclaren or Ferrari in terms of adapting to race situations. It was at least 1.5 laps before the safety car came out. They should have brough him in as soon as they saw that Sutil's car was going to need further help. I was waiting for them to bring him in.

Raikkonen should have followed suit. They both would have gotten out before the SC was deployed. Then they completely botched massa's pit stops, probably costing him the win.

I think that Heidfeld is done at BMW, There is no way he should be losing close to .500 seconds a lap to his temmate. It's clear to me that Kubica is much faster and at this point, probably better.

Alonso drove a great race until his gearbox broke ( which I beleive caused his spin) NPQJr is still dissapointing me.

Timo Glock, nearly took out his teammate and cost Toyota valuable points.I'm not sure where his head's.

Kovaleinen over a race didtance is dissapointing me right now. I can;t beleive he couldn't get around a torro rosso and honda with a bunch of laps.

Nakajima continues to show good pace. Rosberg, deserved more. I think the Williams is starting to show reliabilty and good speed.

DC gets a podium again, by keeping his head down and benfitting from the SC and one stop strategy. Webber could/should have done better.

pass of the day ( lets saydouble pass!) belongs to massa on turn 10. great piece of driving.

I'll now have to take out my dissapointment of LH on my tennis opponent.

VkmSpouge
8th June 2008, 20:22
Congratulations to Robert Kubica on his fine win today, he was in a class of his own and didn't put a wheel wrong.
Of course the main incident of the race was the Raikkonen, Hamilton, Rosberg pitlane crash. Can't help think a little bit of karma was around for Raikkonen considering his crash into the back of Sutil at Monaco.

aryan
8th June 2008, 20:25

After Istanbul and Monaco, this is the 3rd consecutive race where they've had less than optimal strategy.

They were lucky McLaren wasn't much better with Heikki.

N. Jones
8th June 2008, 20:25
great race for Kubica - a historic maidenvictory, which I'm sure might not be the last...even this season.

I think that Heidfeld is done at BMW, There is no way he should be losing close to .500 seconds a lap to his temmate. It's clear to me that Kubica is much faster and at this point, probably better.

Alonso drove a great race until his gearbox broke ( which I beleive caused his spin) NPQJr is still dissapointing me.

And this is the reason why Alonso's 2007 season will forever haunt him. He would be a great teammate for Kubica at BMW but everyone knows that FA HATES competition (which is what he would surely get if he partnered with Kubica).

markabilly
8th June 2008, 20:26
Fear not, the stewards will do nothing to LH ......

markabilly
8th June 2008, 20:29
And this is the reason why Alonso's 2007 season will forever haunt him. He would be a great teammate for Kubica at BMW but everyone knows that FA HATES competition (which is what he would surely get if he partnered with Kubica).
As i kept saying FA should go to Beemer.....I am not so sure that Kube will outlast or outrun Kimi, Hamilton or Massa for the WDC, at least NOT this year, but maybe next year.

If Kube had clearly beaten hamilton and Kimi, then maybe we would have more to hope for.

In the interim, they might have had all they needed with FA to be on top and stay there

aryan
8th June 2008, 20:31
Congradulations to BMW Sauber and Kubica.

First BMW GP win as a constructor, first win for a Polish driver. Well deserved!

Hats of to DC as well. 62 podiums shouldn't be easy.

Pass of the race to Massa.

pettersolberg29
8th June 2008, 21:17
Why's everyone saying Heidfeld is 'past it' or 'not good enough'?

He just got 2nd place (his 2nd second of the season) and let his teammate win. That's the key - without letting Kubica past, Heidfeld would have won today, then would people want him gone?

Heidfeld may not be as good as Kubica - but he certainly merits a place at BMW. I'm ready to argue with anyone who disagrees.

F1boat
8th June 2008, 21:30
Yeah, he is ideal for a good soild 2nd driver, IMO. Like Rubens was.

pettersolberg29
8th June 2008, 21:40
Confirmation of grid penalties:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68140

truefan72
8th June 2008, 22:20

He just got 2nd place (his 2nd second of the season) and let his teammate win. That's the key - without letting Kubica past, Heidfeld would have won today, then would people want him gone?

Heidfeld may not be as good as Kubica - but he certainly merits a place at BMW. I'm ready to argue with anyone who disagrees.

I'm not sure he "let" Kubica pass. RK pulled out enough of an advantage to beat him out of the pits, then proceeded to outpace him. Why would heidfeld giveup the opportunity to get his first F1 victory in favor of his teammate who is making a strong case for his own expandability to BMW. He's having handling issues with the 2008 BMW and probably the lack of TC.

Daniel
8th June 2008, 22:23
I'm not sure he "let" Kubica pass. RK pulled out enough of an advantage to beat him out of the pits, then proceeded to outpace him. Why would heidfeld giveup the opportunity to get his first F1 victory in favor of his teammate who is making a strong case for his own expandability to BMW. He's having handling issues with the 2008 BMW and probably the lack of TC.
Argh! I wish the armchair experts would stop blaming every driver not having a great year on TC...... earlier this season Massa was a crap driver because he couldn't adapt to not having TC and now he's joint second.....

mirek01
8th June 2008, 22:29
I think both Kubica and Heidfeld made an excellent job today. They will be in next year together in team ,it's working so far for BMW. It's good combination of drivers working together for the team not against each other.

ioan
8th June 2008, 22:45
"If I cost Kimi the race"--It looked to me that LH was first headed right towards Kube, but swerved over into Kimi..........I wonder if that was a deliberate choice of having realized that the brakes were too cold to stop quick enough, so who do I hit.....???? Hummmm....

I doubt his brain is that fast, as I already said in another thread: Lewy = all guts no brain!

ioan
8th June 2008, 22:53

Totally agree, he not only let Kubica through very easily at his first attempt, he also hindered Alonso and thus protected his team mate.
The team came on radio and told him to let FA through, but only a few laps after Kubica was already too far ahead to be catched, otherwise let's be honest, Alonso had the pace to pressure the Pole.

jens
8th June 2008, 22:56
Don't you think it is extremely ironic? Payback time. What Kimi did at Monaco, came back at Montreal. And incredibly it was Sutil, "thanks" to who SC came out and caused the incident. :D

Personally I'm very satisfied with the results (Beemers and Yotas).

Due to the safety car and SC rule those guys, who didn't get into Q3 and were on a one-stopper, really benefitted (DC, Toyotas, Vettel, also Rubens, who got into Q3, but was one a 1-stopper). A shame that Kaz made a mistake and lost the front wing - he could have collected some good points too.

Hoped for a good race from Heikki, but after the SC mess he really looked quite nowhere. :|

Strangely, both Renaults have made mistakes in the last two races and cost valuable points to the team.

ioan
8th June 2008, 22:57

You got it all wrong mate, Heidfeld let him go by way to easily at the first attempt after his first and only pit stop, and than kept Alonso at bay making Kubica's life even easier.

BDunnell
8th June 2008, 22:59
I doubt his brain is that fast, as I already said in another thread: Lewy = all guts no brain!

I would have thought it fair not to make comments like that about one driver, given that in another thread you say how (correctly) unfair it is to say that another driver can't cope without TC, can't race well, etc. Those comments about Massa are just as unnecessary as is saying Hamilton doesn't have a brain.

donKey jote
8th June 2008, 23:01
otherwise let's be honest, Alonso had the pace to pressure the Pole.
sadly for some, he didn't have the gearbox to pressure the Pole though :( :p

Nick's face was an open book after the race, but he had the dignity not to moan in public. I'm glad Kubica got the win, but Heidi gets 50 donkey points from me too :up:

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

Easy Drifter
9th June 2008, 01:43
Everybody is jumping on LH and rightly so. A couple of people have mentioned Rosberg. He was as bad if not more so as he could see the mess. The stewards obviously thought so too.

CNR
9th June 2008, 01:47
the viking horns where gone from the bmw's

Ranger
9th June 2008, 01:51
Everybody is jumping on LH and rightly so. A couple of people have mentioned Rosberg. He was as bad if not more so as he could see the mess. The stewards obviously thought so too.

Yep. He also reversed down the pitlane.

Big no-no.

Valve Bounce
9th June 2008, 02:25
I doubt it, but if it was the case than why they are giving it only to Lewy?!

You're slipping, fellah!! This was your cue to say: "Because McCheats developed the black box!! " :p : :p : :D :rotflmao:

Valve Bounce
9th June 2008, 03:43
Don't you think it is extremely ironic? Payback time. What Kimi did at Monaco, came back at Montreal. And incredibly it was Sutil, "thanks" to who SC came out and caused the incident. :D

............and Lewis got penalised for the swell head comment about his wonderful capabilities after he got pole.