PDA

View Full Version : PUT oval drivers-Where are you?

truckmonster
3rd June 2008, 21:16
Where are all the pick up drivers at Rockingham? The track needs good grids and this is what the pick ups were changed to Left hand drive for!
The formula is absolutely unique in how it mixes the circuits and the big oval, I just cant understand why drivers are only wanting to do the circuits when this is what you can do in "ordinary" club racing.
The racing at rockingham is just so close you cant get this anywhere else and when the grid is full of 20-25+ trucks it can be breathtaking at times.
We need the people who race trucks just on the road courses to bite the bullet and get back to the Rock,the home of PUT,and those who have them at home to wipe the dust off and come back racing in the best and most unique formula in Europe. :s pin:

Abo
3rd June 2008, 22:01
Stant: No budget
Dobbs: No budget
Francis: *may* be back later in the year
Heath: Raced at Northampton the other weekend so I guess he's gone stock car racing
Willis: Racing hot rods IIRC?

ASCAR24/7/365.5
3rd June 2008, 22:35
martin heath is racing his legend at teh moment, his pickup is still in the transporter but i dont know about his plans

fastbob
4th June 2008, 09:58
PTR is a series that requires a huge commitment, in the last couple of years the fast boy's have opened a gap at Rockingham.... you can normally pick the winners from a handfull of drivers.

You either have to have 2 pick ups or keep changing set up from Oval to Circuit.

A serious budget is required to run a PTR and that is without the serious damage that can occur at the Rock....

It's so easy to say "get your truck out"..... but you need a big pile of money, and load of time to prepare the truck ( either time off work or time away from family/other pursuits) and be willing to take the knocks at the Rock!!

Don't forget if it was easy..... you'd all be doing it!!!!

But the fact is numbers have dropped.... and that's not good!

PitMarshal
4th June 2008, 12:31
I think we've just been spoilt over the last few years. The grids for all the Rockingham races so far this year have had seventeen starters. Maybe not good compared to previous years but there are championship coordinators out there who would kill for those sorts of numbers.

The Pits!
4th June 2008, 18:23
I think we've just been spoilt over the last few years. The grids for all the Rockingham races so far this year have had seventeen starters. Maybe not good compared to previous years but there are championship coordinators out there who would kill for those sorts of numbers.
But the MSA will not be too pleased... maybe yet another name change for the forum is on the cards? :)

Nick Brad
4th June 2008, 19:09
Stant: No budget
Dobbs: No budget
Francis: *may* be back later in the year
Heath: Raced at Northampton the other weekend so I guess he's gone stock car racing
Willis: Racing hot rods IIRC?

Stanty is doubling up his budget for a full assault next year, (his racing budget has been cut due to the financial climate both here and the US,) as for Mark Willis, he's still at Rockingham every time the trucks run, he now part of Antony Hawkins pit crew. No racing activity himself though at the moment.

acorn
4th June 2008, 19:29
PTR is a series that requires a huge commitment, in the last couple of years the fast boy's have opened a gap at Rockingham.... you can normally pick the winners from a handfull of drivers.

You either have to have 2 pick ups or keep changing set up from Oval to Circuit.

A serious budget is required to run a PTR and that is without the serious damage that can occur at the Rock....

It's so easy to say "get your truck out"..... but you need a big pile of money, and load of time to prepare the truck ( either time off work or time away from family/other pursuits) and be willing to take the knocks at the Rock!!

Don't forget if it was easy..... you'd all be doing it!!!!

But the fact is numbers have dropped.... and that's not good!

you could easily delete ptr and pickups and truck and insert ascar and this post would still make sense.

Reynard
4th June 2008, 22:07
Acorn, I reckon you could slip the name of just about any race series in there and it'd still make sense. With the current economic climate, everyone is feeling the pinch; from F1 right through to the grass roots.

Racing is a luxury and when money is tight, the luxuries are unfortunately the most expendable when it comes to balancing the books. :(

fastbob
5th June 2008, 05:46
as for Mark Willis, he's still at Rockingham every time the trucks run, he now part of Antony Hawkins pit crew.

He was doing a good job of hiding last time out then Nick!!! Antony was working with Mark... not sure it's still ongoing though!!?

truckmonster
5th June 2008, 17:07
But the MSA will not be too pleased... maybe yet another name change for the forum is on the cards? :)

Dont be too negative, it would be hard to find another name for the pick up series anyway!I just hope 1 or 2 come back to the rock its great racing as well as the road courses ,and something we need to keep going!! :bandit:

Nick Brad
5th June 2008, 17:51
....as for Mark Willis, he's still at Rockingham every time the trucks run, he now part of Antony Hawkins pit crew. No racing activity himself though at the moment.

He was doing a good job of hiding last time out then Nick!!! Antony was working with Mark... not sure it's still ongoing though!!?

I don't think he was there this last weekend, but Jeff was still spotting for him, (Mark's old spotter,) and from what Mark said a few weeks ago, he's just helping out Antony until further notice.

truckmonster
5th June 2008, 18:46
Maybe Paul Saunders will be out at next rockingham now he has the new "Rockstar" energy drink sponsor!

foxystoat
6th June 2008, 13:04
What is the most PUT's to ever start a race does anyone know ?
I thought the numbers were getting close to 30 for one round at Rockingham a few years back or am I mistaken ?
On a similar subject is the most Ascars ever out for a race 23 ?

Abo
6th June 2008, 13:53
What is the most PUT's to ever start a race does anyone know ?
I thought the numbers were getting close to 30 for one round at Rockingham a few years back or am I mistaken ?
On a similar subject is the most Ascars ever out for a race 23 ?

27 rings a bell for some reason but I could be wrong. Incidentally, 33 is the maximum number of trucks for a race. Past versions of the regs included a provision for heats and a final should there be more than 33 drivers entered but I can't find mention of this in the regs currently posted to the PTR website.

Reynard
6th June 2008, 16:40
Just checked my euhm, "anorak" files...

The most number of starters in an ascar race was 23 in 2003 - round 12, Rockingham, the penultimate race of the season.

foxystoat
6th June 2008, 20:03
Ah I thought it was 23 , the round when Phiroze Bilamora ( excuse spelling) raced the Cobra car I think.

bravheart
6th June 2008, 20:56
[quote="foxystoat"]Ah I thought it was 23 , the round when Phiroze Bilamora ( excuse spelling) raced the Cobra car I think.[/QUOTE

i think you will find that it was last round in Oct 2004?

Reynard
6th June 2008, 22:12
[i think you will find that it was last round in Oct 2004?

Aaaaah no, Dunc. You're very much in error there I'm afraid. ;) I am the statistics queen. :cheese: I *could* snow you under with an avalanche of raceday programmes, results sheets, photo archives and statistics tables should you wish to dispute the fact. :laugh:

And to quote my favourite TV show...

"Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations." ;)