PDA

View Full Version : Greg Moore

Champcar4life
2nd June 2008, 22:03
Last night Fox59 here in Indy did a little piece on the great late Greg Moore, they talk about his great car control he had and they ask the question, what if the split never happen, how many Indy500 rings would he had on his hand.

Yankee Racer
2nd June 2008, 23:13
Nice to know Moore isn't forgotten. He was my favorite driver, along with Alex Zanardi. Of my four original favorites (NASCAR drivers Davey Allison and Alan Kulwicki), Zanardi is the only one who is still alive...

It's still a big disappointment to me to have never seen Greg Moore race at Indy. You can only wonder what could have been, and I believe that it would've been something great. Sadly, we'll never know.

!!WALDO!!
2nd June 2008, 23:29
As many as Dave MacDonald would have had.

NO REFERENCE, IMPLIED OR REAL TO ANY POSTER, LIVING, DEAD, or NOT YET BORN.)

Civic
3rd June 2008, 02:19
Moore would probably have more championships than Helio.

Placid
3rd June 2008, 02:31
Last night Fox59 here in Indy did a little piece on the great late Greg Moore, they talk about his great car control he had and they ask the question, what if the split never happen, how many Indy500 rings would he had on his hand.

And how many trips to Monaco royalty would have had if he decided to
jump the pond?

MAX_THRUST
3rd June 2008, 13:14
I think after a two year stint at Penske he would have made it to McClaren, in F1. Great man great driver, greatly missed. God rest his soul....

electron
3rd June 2008, 13:17
I still remember the second. I knew it then and there. Sad story.

"he left this world in a racecar"

Dave Brock
3rd June 2008, 21:15
I still remember the second. I knew it then and there. Sad story.

"he left this world in a racecar"

That is NOT entirely accurate.
His life ended UNDER his racer...and he left this world because of FPP maintanence of the non racing area of the track by track officials who KNEW that the access roads to the track were at a greater height that that oif the grass on either side of the road.
Only a TOAD would allow such a fatal hazzard to exist at a such a major league venue.....Gregs death was criminal and there should have been negligence charges filed against the owners AND promoters of the event pure & simple.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Dave Brock
3rd June 2008, 21:18
As many as Dave MacDonald would have had.

NO REFERENCE, IMPLIED OR REAL TO ANY POSTER, LIVING, DEAD, or NOT YET BORN.)

NOTICE how NO ONE here has the same level of respect or sense of loss over Gonchi...?
Hell ....I'll bet less than 10% of the membership here even has a clue as to whom I am speaking, :mad:

and they CALL themselves "fans"..... :mad:

garyshell
3rd June 2008, 21:24
NOTICE how NO ONE here has the same level of respect or sense of loss over Gonchi...?
Hell ....I'll bet less than 10% of the membership here even has a clue as to whom I am speaking, :mad:

Oh great, another self absorbed student of history who thinks he is better than everyone else here. Just what we need. :dozey: Maybe you and Uncle Waldo can debate each other into submission over who remembers more arcane trivia than the other. Meanwhile, the rest of us could care less, but will gladly watch with bewildered amusement.

Most folks probably don't know the nickname given Gonzalo Rodriguez but that sure as hell doesn't make them any less of a fan. I am certain that if you had used his real name rather than some insider/little known nickname, that most folks here would know exactly who you were talking about. But then that would not have given you an opportunity to insult the other 90% here, would it?

Gary

Champcar4life
3rd June 2008, 23:13

and they CALL themselves "fans".... :mad:

Ok this thread was not start to figure out who is the greater fan, but the fact been is that Greg Moore was more know then Rodguies, who was killed in 99 while driving for Penke in a Penkse PC23 I believe when his car fliped in the corkscrew at Mazada racingway in 99 down an imbankment, if they the piece had been about him then I would had started this thread about him. Its bad both drivers are gone, no telling what the road ahead of them might have been like, but we will never know.

Neither ones life was more important the other, but like I say Moore was more know here and the piece was about him.

elis
4th June 2008, 11:07

Your assumption would likely be incorrect.

Some of us' knew & supported Gonchi years before he embarked on his CART stint. I personally witnessed his accident, (& Greg's), the distressing immediate aftermath & the memorial at Silverstone church with his distraught family, first hand. Trust me, to some here the level of respect is immersurable.

The bulk of Gonzalo's career was forged in Europe, so a fair proportion of folk on this forum may not have been so familiar with him. Gonzalo did 1 race for Penske at Detroit before suffering his fatal accident at LS. Many North American fans might not have known too much about him as he was 'new' Stateside, but I don't doubt they were shocked & saddened at his death.

This topic however is about Greg. Given his longer term inclusion in NA racing circles resulting in several years of building a wider 'fan base' amongst AOW fans, plus the NA media coverage, personally I would expect the majority of responses here to be about him.

jmo

mikiec
4th June 2008, 11:11
About a year ago, I met a guy through a mutual friend, who works as a carbon fabricator for the Honda F1 team. We got chatting about F1 and Champ Car and it turned out that he'd previously worked at Reynard before they went bust and had worked on some of their Champ/Indy Cars.

Anyway, he was telling me about all the different drivers that he'd met as they tended to come and visit the workshop from time to time. He told me that although most of them were pleasant and said hello, etc., Greg Moore was the one driver who really took the time to speak to the guys one-to-one in the workshop and genuinely took an interest in what they were doing. He said he was the nicest racing driver he'd ever met.

MAX_THRUST
4th June 2008, 12:06
Some of you guys are unbeleivable. You turn a thread about the passing of a great driver into an argument over who knows more, or because you want to be bloody minded. Please try and have some resspect for other users, please take your arguments off this page.

Some of you need to learn from Greg's attitude towards life and those people that don't get on. He'd be ashamed to read a thread like this about him, where people turn things into an argument.

!!WALDO!!
4th June 2008, 17:17
Maybe you and Uncle Waldo can debate each other into submission over who remembers more arcane trivia than the other. Meanwhile, the rest of us could care less, but will gladly watch with bewildered amusement.
Gary

This is what I mean. You bring me into a discussion for no reason other than your disgust of a fellow poster.

Notice when I read something not true I do not compare it to any other poster or you.

BTW the Tape Delay for the 1968 500 Starting time was THREE WEEKS LATER ON WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS.
The first time was 1962 and ran that way through 1970. In 1971 it was taped delayed through 1985.
According to your words you saw it in 1957.
From 1963-1970 the race was shown live on Closed Circuit and not in Indiana and a certain distance from Indy.

So be careful when showing criticism of fellow posters that your own slip isn't showing.

Try to leave me out of your personal, approved attacks as a person of your age and experience would do.

(NO REFERENCE, IMPLIED OR REAL TO ANY POSTER, LIVING, DEAD, or NOT YET BORN.)

bblocker68
4th June 2008, 20:27
Waldo, this post is about Greg Moore, not you. Knock it off already and have some respect for the ones who are no longer with us.

I would have loved to see how Greg would have done at Indy in a Penske.

!!WALDO!!
4th June 2008, 22:11
Waldo, this post is about Greg Moore, not you. Knock it off already and have some respect for the ones who are no longer with us.

I would have loved to see how Greg would have done at Indy in a Penske.

I already posted my post but someone dragged me into it.
http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=483544&postcount=3

Maybe you and Uncle Waldo can debate each other into submission over who remembers more arcane trivia than the other.

Take it up with him.

(NO REFERENCE, IMPLIED OR REAL TO ANY POSTER, LIVING, DEAD, or NOT YET BORN.)

Civic
5th June 2008, 06:58
I didn't know much about Gonzalo (I thought his nickname was Gonzo) but I do remember wishing he did good at Detroit. I figured that anyone racing for Penske must have potential.

xtlm
5th June 2008, 07:58
in my city, indycar races do not even get recognized
even by the network's local news that comes on right after a race finishes...

having a retrospective on one is laughable

bblocker68
5th June 2008, 15:22
The retrospective was on Greg Moore, not a series in general. Nothing about his death is laughable.

El Sween
5th June 2008, 19:03
I think after a two year stint at Penske he would have made it to McClaren, in F1. Great man great driver, greatly missed. God rest his soul....

I too have always felt he would have ended up at McLaren after Penske.

El Sween
5th June 2008, 19:06

Well I always refered to him as Gonzo but I know who you mean. Great driver and I miss him. I thought he would have been a great CART/Indy driver.

xtlm
5th June 2008, 20:29
The retrospective was on Greg Moore, not a series in general. Nothing about his death is laughable.

yes i know it was on a single driver

and

what would be laughable is if my news channels did such a thing ( a retrospective on a driver/league/racing which would never happen...)

i didn't mean, "he died XD!!".......i saw video of that accident, i remember when it happened, tragic and not a funny situation.

Marbles
16th June 2008, 02:22
It's good to see 99 isn't forgotten, especially outside Canada. I bet Champcar4life didn't expect to see such garbage come out with such an innocent post. Imagine if his intent was to troll. This place would have been burnt to the ground.

As for garyshell... awesome post! There is a reason why certain events and people are remembered. With each recounting of Senna's passing, there is certainly no disrespect intended for Ratzenberger. Exactly the opposite.

And as the years go by I imagine more and more race fans who have only seen Moore die... and not race. So for those... he was only 24... think of what might have been.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=w2pvzbb162A

Excuse the self indulgence.

MDS
16th June 2008, 03:25
I remember finding out when the track suddenly lowered all the flags to half staff.

A list of guys I think we will always miss:

Tony Renna
Scott Brayton
Jovy Marcello
Gordon Smiley
Jeff Krosnoff
Gonzo Rodriguez
Paul Dana

Claus Hansen
21st June 2008, 16:26
R.I.P Greg, what else to say !