PDA

View Full Version : Does Briscoe's win improve Australian News coverage of Indycar?

millencolin
2nd June 2008, 09:24
I'm writing this on the go, as i watch the prime time news.

I've always stated that the only way for Indycar to get more coverage during non-gold coast indy time is for an Australian to win (or a huge crash)

Today we had both...

There are 3 main commercial national tv networks in Australia (channel 7, 9 and 10)... This is from Brisbane version of the news too (can be more coverage here at times due to the fact its the news that covers the gold coast)

channel 10 news at 5pm, wasnt much mention of Briscoe's win, more coverage on the crash. But something is better than the usual nothing. Rugby League, Cricket, Socceroos World Cup Qualifier, AFL, MotoGp came before it though. Was the last feature of news...

National Nine News at 6...

Rugby League, Socceroos, Rugby Union, Cricket, MotoGp THEN Indycar...

They showed the crash, then showed Briscoe winning. Also mentioned was that all three Trans-Tasman drivers have won a race so far this year. But then Ian Healy refered to the win as a 'Bradbury' as in everyone crashed in front of him to win. Shows he doesn't know about the race and is commenting of what was shown.

Channel 7 is hard to measure (as its on the same time at 6pm...) from what ive seen, League, Union, Soccer, Cricket .... thats it. No Motorsport at all (which is surprising since they have the rights to the v8supercars and Gold coast indy). But i've always believed that Seven's coverage of sport is below the par set by Channel 9

Well, 2 out of 3 aint bad. In its defence it had a lot of competition due to big stories happeneing during the sporting weekend. Cant fit in everything in the space of 5 mins. Its not everyday you have Australia winning the soccer, state of origin selection, cricket action, Stuart Macgill retiring, Casey Stoner podium and Briscoe winning. Lot of competition for only a few minutes of coverage.

I guarentee without watching them that the two gov't owned stations (ABC and SBS, always have the best sport coverage in my opinion) will broadcast this victory, so 4 out of 5 primetime news stations isnt bad. Better than then usual One or none.

Tomorrow i'll suss out the Newspaper and see what got covered... i'm guessing there will be a notiable article about the win... we'll see

Komahawk
2nd June 2008, 10:05
Did Wheldon's or Franchitti's Indy500 and IRL championship wins help to get IndyCar a better coverage in the UK? What about Kanaan and Castroneves and IndyCar coverage in Brazil?

BobGarage
2nd June 2008, 10:13
Did Wheldon's or Franchitti's Indy500 and IRL championship wins help to get IndyCar a better coverage in the UK?

nope. no one (outside of die hard motorsports fans) in the UK has ever heard of either driver. Wheldon is a nobody in the UK, franchitti has a slightly higher profile but not by much.

both of them got their championships/i500 wins mentioned on "BBC Sports personality of the Year". But that was it. no more than maybe 10 seconds of air time for each at the end of the year.

no matter who wins the british press don't give the series more than a paragraph at most at any given time. The only time it has been different was when our Nige was in the series. Apart from that nothing.

Katherine legges crash at Road America got major airtime in the Uk. She was on GMTV (major breakfast TV show). Niether Welldone or Franchitti got anything near as much as that.

ShiftingGears
2nd June 2008, 10:59
MASSIVE CRASH! PEOPLE ALMOST GETTING INJURED!

...Also, Ryan Briscoe won.

= Seven News coverage.

ABC and SBS are always good because their news is actually news and not merely entertainment aimed at the lowest common denominator.

evo5_mat
2nd June 2008, 11:41
Think people know more of champcar through the exploits of zanardi, montoya and in recent years Bourdais than of the IRL.

Which in europe a non existance apart from the Indy 500 which i dont think they see that in any high regard or importance these days to what it used to be, and that can only be leveled at the IRL racing series.

I see Sky coverage was taped delayed again with Nascar the more important series to them even in its first year on the channel, even when there a stoppage the IRL race gets punted back so you can see the importance SKY channel put on the irl racing.

millencolin
2nd June 2008, 13:24
MASSIVE CRASH! PEOPLE ALMOST GETTING INJURED!

...Also, Ryan Briscoe won.

= Seven News coverage.

ABC and SBS are always good because their news is actually news and not merely entertainment aimed at the lowest common denominator.

Hey... at least it made channel 7 in youre part of the country

racer69
3rd June 2008, 05:28
I'm not sure why you were expecting much more??

An American focused motor racing series is not news here (heck, most of the time Australian motorsport doesn't rate as news here), whether an Aussie wins or not. Its a feat that it was shown at all.

millencolin
3rd June 2008, 09:23
I'm not sure why you were expecting much more??

An American focused motor racing series is not news here (heck, most of the time Australian motorsport doesn't rate as news here), whether an Aussie wins or not. Its a feat that it was shown at all.

There was pretty constant coverage of Will Powers expoilts last year on the prime time news. But since unification it has decreased (at least in my part of the country).

I was not expecting it to be front page headlines, or even back page headlines (thats reserved for state of origin atm), but it did get a half decent sized article in the paper yesterday

ShiftingGears
3rd June 2008, 12:53
There was pretty constant coverage of Will Powers expoilts last year on the prime time news. But since unification it has decreased (at least in my part of the country).

I've noticed that too. Maybe it will increase after Surfers (Power FTW!) but I think this is mainly because the IRL is predominantly ovals and Australian media will need to warm to it.

Komahawk
3rd June 2008, 13:50
The IRL needs to present itself much more aggressively. It's the damn fastest series on the planet (although it could be alot faster for all I care). This should be exploited to the bone. Speed Speed Speed!

millencolin
4th June 2008, 12:17
I've noticed that too. Maybe it will increase after Surfers (Power FTW!) but I think this is mainly because the IRL is predominantly ovals and Australian media will need to warm to it.

Perhaps youre right. Maybe the Australian media need to sample what this 'Indycar' thing is first for its coverage to increase. Perhaps they need to witness the bigger grids, two (and a half) front-running Australians against famous name drivers. Maybe thats what channel 7 needs to see before they will bring back Indy-style racing to free-to-air tv. (which is what i really want, so i dont have to rely on crappy espn all the time)

Man, bring on INDY!!!

Ranger
4th June 2008, 12:51
Perhaps youre right. Maybe the Australian media need to sample what this 'Indycar' thing is first for its coverage to increase.
Yeh, remember we're dealing with a series that's recovering from an identity crisis.

Should all be resolved for Australian media after Surfer's though. :up:

baadman27
5th June 2008, 15:40
Very good!!! Support !wow gold (http://brogame.com)wow gold (http://brogame.com/buy-wow-gold.aspx)wow gold (http://brogame.com/world-of-warcraft-gold.aspx)wow gold (http://laymandea.com)wow gold (http://dianaslink.com)