PDA

View Full Version : Mid season break

mattlamb
1st June 2008, 17:23
My thoughts - why??!

Six weeks between Croft and Snetterton (just down the road from where I was brought up - Thetford).

Why have the break in the summer? It would make more sense to me to start the season later and/or finish the season earlier. I know the British weather is unpredictable but not likely to get snow inJune are you. In March or April it is quite possible though. I thought motor-racing (rallying excepted) is meant to be a summer sport?

cos
1st June 2008, 18:09
Euro 2008 will have a lot to do with it.

VkmSpouge
1st June 2008, 19:10
I think it is just down to the European Championships, a shame really but hopefully it will give time to Robertshaw Racing to fill their second Chevry and for Team AFM to get their BMW 120d ready for racing at Snetterton.

cos
1st June 2008, 19:23
I think it is just down to the European Championships, a shame really but hopefully it will give time to Robertshaw Racing to fill their second Chevry and for Team AFM to get their BMW 120d ready for racing at Snetterton.

Allison should be back at Snett - he previously said he had the budget for his home race.

VX_Rules
1st June 2008, 19:58
If he has the budget for only one race would Robertshaw want him back? Surely they'd rather have a full time driver.

SEATFreak
2nd June 2008, 09:14
I cannot wait for the mid-season break.

I like to think SEAT will consider utilising this time to think about things. Namely how to improve the TDi Leon. How to make it more competitive and faster. Because as it stands I don't think it's level is good enough to compete with VXR as a serious challenger to them on a consistent basis.

CroftPilgrim
2nd June 2008, 10:01
It IS due to Euro 2008. Remember, TV coverage is important and TOCA needed to ensure there would be no clashes with other major sporting events (that's why they don't have a race meeting on the same w/e as Formula 1). If there were any clashes then it would limit tv exposure and could also draw fans away from the circuits on race day.

Les
2nd June 2008, 13:31
there's a lot of teams who need the time to get the cars upgraded/repaired.

SEATFreak
2nd June 2008, 14:13
there's a lot of teams who need the time to get the cars upgraded/repaired.

Precicely. Like SEAT for instance. Every second they spend must be spent on working on the Leon. I don't think they can afford to waste a moment. And these European Championships provide them with 6 weeks worth of seconds.

That is why in that respect SEAT are stronger than VXR because what can VXR do to improve their cars that hasn't been done already? In the first season they engineered a car that dominated the BTCC.

What more can be done to their Vectras in future seasons if they have engineer such a sucesfull car so quickly as the first season?

AndySpeed
2nd June 2008, 15:55
Personally I love the BTCC but I think the mid-season break is a much-needed and good idea for the championship (and I quite like it myself, too).

Iain
2nd June 2008, 16:16
What more can be done to their Vectras in future seasons if they have engineer such a sucesfull car so quickly as the first season?

Plenty. Teams such as 888 never stop striving to find new ideas or make changes. Look at last year, the season was over on the Sunday and they were out testing for 2008 a few days later.

ready2rock
2nd June 2008, 18:17
It IS due to Euro 2008. Remember, TV coverage is important and TOCA needed to ensure there would be no clashes with other major sporting events (that's why they don't have a race meeting on the same w/e as Formula 1). If there were any clashes then it would limit tv exposure and could also draw fans away from the circuits on race day.

Thats what was said on ITV wasn't it? So yeah very true. Its kinda logical thinking i guess :)

cos
2nd June 2008, 22:09
Thats what was said on ITV wasn't it? So yeah very true. Its kinda logical thinking i guess :)

Yeah... we had a six week break (and probably the exact same discussion) two years ago because of the World Cup.

Abo
6th June 2008, 12:02
Wonder if Sky+ will preserve it with that big a gap?

Alfa Fan
6th June 2008, 12:18
Yeah... we had a six week break (and probably the exact same discussion) two years ago because of the World Cup.

And a six week break last season for the Rugby World Cup. At least England were in the last two.....