PDA

View Full Version : Montreal kerbs less demanding

ShiftingGears
1st June 2008, 11:26
http://www.f1complete.com/content/view/8808/900/

Lame! Reminds me of Monza last year when DC was complaining about going over the kerbs.

wedge
1st June 2008, 12:16
Having seen them yet but at this moment in time I think its a disgrace!

They were perfectly fine as it was because it was progressive kerbing.

You could put a wheel on the normal flat kerbing but use half the car and you faced an even bigger kerb on the inside!

Bagwan
1st June 2008, 17:21
I went to Montreal in '04 , and the curbing is enough to frighten any driver out of thinking he might gain by going over instead of just close .

They are nice and flat inside , but get up on the back edge and you're fighting a 3 inch tall saw toothed pave stone wrecking machine that would give trouble to monster truck Grave Digger .

I don't remember specifically the turn towards the champions corner , but the description covers turns 3,4,5 and 6 .
Gnarly curbs . Not something you want to drive over with a road car , let alone an F1 car .

jens
1st June 2008, 20:47
Last year Toyota had some trouble with kerbs at practice, so maybe this time they'll have a smoother run.

wedge
1st June 2008, 23:15
Alex Wurz on driving Le Mans:

"Today turned out to be super difficult and it was a bit of a wake-up call actually," he said. "After 12 years in Formula One where every little bump is taken care of by the FIA, I come here to a real man's circuit. It was more of a fight than enjoyment but I always love the challenge of Le Mans."

call_me_andrew
2nd June 2008, 02:37
Having seen them yet but at this moment in time I think its a disgrace!

They were perfectly fine as it was because it was progressive kerbing.

You could put a wheel on the normal flat kerbing but use half the car and you faced an even bigger kerb on the inside!

No, they were pretty bad. During the NASCAR race last fall, one car broke a trailing arm on the curb. The car has 5 inches of ground clearance, and it broke a part that I've never seen fail before. Clearly there's something wrong with the track.

Miatanut
2nd June 2008, 03:15
No, they were pretty bad. During the NASCAR race last fall, one car broke a trailing arm on the curb. The car has 5 inches of ground clearance, and it broke a part that I've never seen fail before. Clearly there's something wrong with the track.

Shouldn't a curb be something you avoid? I think it's sad that race courses keep getting dumbed-down. When I was a kid, curbs were often these six or eight inch tall things drivers wouldn't think of short-cutting, and those cars had a lot more clearance than modern cars.

ShiftingGears
2nd June 2008, 07:19
Shouldn't a curb be something you avoid? I think it's sad that race courses keep getting dumbed-down.
Yes I absolutely agree.

When I was a kid, curbs were often these six or eight inch tall things drivers wouldn't think of short-cutting, and those cars had a lot more clearance than modern cars.

http://b.f1-facts.com/ul/a/2714

Yikes!

Storm
2nd June 2008, 10:20
When does DC not complain thesedays...or Button with his whiney..."no TC and rain in Monaco is disaster"
On topic, they should keep the curbs the way they are....it makes the drivers work harder to go that faster but with a risk of damaging your car if you just keep riding them.

Miatanut
2nd June 2008, 20:56
Yes I absolutely agree.

http://b.f1-facts.com/ul/a/2714

Yikes!
I was thinking more of these:
http://atlasf1.autosport.com/99/bel/preview/nostalgia1.jpg

I started following in '67, but there were still some of these around then.

ArrowsFA1
3rd June 2008, 07:33
Shouldn't a curb be something you avoid?
Exactly :up: Obviously racing drivers are always looking for the quickest way around a circuit, and that sometimes means kerb-hopping, but they are supposed to race on the black stuff after all!!

leopard
3rd June 2008, 07:51

I must have missed the wheeled dustbins racing. ;) :D

ShiftingGears
3rd June 2008, 08:15

How Spa has changed!

ioan
3rd June 2008, 09:25
Yeah, there is less advertising these days! :D ;)

SGWilko
3rd June 2008, 10:13
Yeah, there is less advertising these days! :D ;)

It looks like a lot of boards doesn't it. But I guess, as TV audiences are astronimic now, less are required to get the same market penetration? :)

call_me_andrew
4th June 2008, 03:38
I recall David Hobbs saying that when he raced at Le Mans, they painted the trees along the Mulsanne Straight white so the drivers could see them at night. Hobbs said that he would have felt safer if he didn't have to see the trees.

SGWilko
4th June 2008, 10:03
I recall David Hobbs saying that when he raced at Le Mans, they painted the trees along the Mulsanne Straight white so the drivers could see them at night. Hobbs said that he would have felt safer if he didn't have to see the trees.
:eek:

Azumanga Davo
4th June 2008, 10:15
I wonder who bought all those '56 Fords...? Sure as heck can't be many in Europe.

Jimmy Magnusson
4th June 2008, 10:53
Oh look, another F1 track pussyfied.

Miatanut
4th June 2008, 19:42

I remember that quote! :D

ShiftingGears
8th June 2008, 01:35
I miss those kerbs! The drivers definitely have it easier going into the last chicane.

wedge
8th June 2008, 09:57
Not as bad as I feared.

They're still quite a challenge, the drivers are still having to make corrections on the final apex.

jens
8th June 2008, 11:51
Kerbs are less demanding, but the track surface is more demanding - so we have a balance here. :D

Valve Bounce
8th June 2008, 13:54
Maybe they should use oil drums instead of kerbs.