PDA

View Full Version : Is this allowed in the race?

DNAnr1
1st June 2008, 10:36
I don't know much about the IRL rules, so I want to know, if it is allowed for a lapped car to draft it's teammate to pass the leader for the win; or is it illegal to interfere that way, so that lapped cars should always stay out of the battle for the win?

Ronan62
1st June 2008, 15:38
As far as I remember, Patrick Carpentier won his first CART race in Michigan in 2001 being drafted by Alexandre Tagliani. No one complained.

ChicagocrewIRL
1st June 2008, 17:25
I don't know much about the IRL rules, so I want to know, if it is allowed for a lapped car to draft it's teammate to pass the leader for the win; or is it illegal to interfere that way, so that lapped cars should always stay out of the battle for the win?

I don't see why it would be illegal. It's could racecraft and an advantage of having a multi-car team.

Jag_Warrior
1st June 2008, 20:34
AFAIK, it would only be "illegal" if the lapped car blocked or impeded the progress of cars on the lead lap.... especially if the blue flag had been displayed for the backmarker.

Old3Fan
2nd June 2008, 04:30

1. Its legal to assit your teammate or anyone else you want to work with.
2. Until a lapped car or slower car is blue flagged to allow someone to pass it is legal.
3. In my opinion, I don't think anyone should not race at all times and if a following car cannot pass, than that's tough luck.

Civic
2nd June 2008, 06:43
Didn't JPM promise dinner to Tarso Marques?