View Full Version : Andretti, Rahal on front row

NickFalzone
31st May 2008, 23:26
http://www.indycar.com/news/?story_id=11598

http://www.indycar.com/grid/

Very impressive run by both KV as well.

Jonesi
31st May 2008, 23:31
Deja Vu all over again ;-) Seems like the mid 80s.

Chamoo
31st May 2008, 23:45
This looks like it will be fun to watch tomorrow. This is probably the best grid the IRL could had hoped for when trying to renew the Andretti/Rahal rivalry. Too bad Foyt couldn't had been up there too.

Champcar4life
31st May 2008, 23:56
Great to see, it seem like a few of the Champcar teams to pretty well today and with two young guns up front I wonder how the start will be.

FIAT1
1st June 2008, 00:48
Fix is in? Hmmm.... nascar2

NickFalzone
1st June 2008, 01:18
It's an interesting first few rows. r1 - young guns, r2 - prob 2 best drivers from each series, r3 - 2 drivers that hate each other. I gotta wonder what Justin Wilson is up to, Graham has consistently outpaced him so far this season. And I really would not be surprised to see a crash out of row 3 if history is any indication.

NickFalzone
1st June 2008, 01:21

You know, it's a valid remark, but I wonder if this would even be possible. You'd have to fix the fastest 10 drivers then guarantee within 10 hundredths that your chosen drivers are the 2 fastest in the field. I can see "the call" on debris cautions, etc. during a race, but qualifying... not so much.

Chamoo
1st June 2008, 01:35
It's an interesting first few rows. r1 - young guns, r2 - prob 2 best drivers from each series, r3 - 2 drivers that hate each other. I gotta wonder what Justin Wilson is up to, Graham has consistently outpaced him so far this season. And I really would not be surprised to see a crash out of row 3 if history is any indication.

I think JW is just having difficulty getting used to ovals. He's run road courses all his career which has been longer then GR. I think he is just having more difficulty crossing over to the ovals. GR has less experience on road courses making the transition to ovals a little easier. I think he also grew up watching his father run ovals and road courses, something JW didn't.

Give him time, NHL will get JW going on the road courses if not the ovals by the the end of the season.

ChicagocrewIRL
1st June 2008, 02:03
I'm just amazed by the huge difference in speeds from P1 to P27. Can there really be an 18 mph difference ? I'm just amazed. The race will be constant lapped vehicles and I wouldn't be amazed if by the end of the race the last car running is 20/25 laps behind. Can someone please shed some light on the speed differential. I can understand maybe a 5-10 mph difference but 18 ????

Placid
1st June 2008, 02:10
This looks like it will be fun to watch tomorrow. This is probably the best grid the IRL could had hoped for when trying to renew the Andretti/Rahal rivalry. Too bad Foyt couldn't had been up there too.

CCWS also raced some ovals and Milwaukee was 1 of them.

fugariracing
1st June 2008, 02:13
I'm just amazed by the huge difference in speeds from P1 to P27. Can there really be an 18 mph difference ? I'm just amazed. The race will be constant lapped vehicles and I wouldn't be amazed if by the end of the race the last car running is 20/25 laps behind. Can someone please shed some light on the speed differential. I can understand maybe a 5-10 mph difference but 18 ????

The whole speed discrepancy is much greater on a mile oval. With each tenth of a second, there is roughly one mile an hour inbetween each. The only two that seemed hopelessly slow are the two Marios, the rest are still a ways off but not as bad as those two. And this is PCM's first race with an IndyCar after they DNQd at Indy.

Thank goodness Roth withdrew his own car or he would have been south of Dominguez's pace. One less car to deal with.

BenRoethig
1st June 2008, 02:34
Dominguez I can understand as PCM is a small team and hasn't had all that much time in a Dallara. Moraes is completely lost out there.

Rogelio
1st June 2008, 05:16

Unfortuantely, that is the first thing I thought of as well. Can it be proved, probably not. The sooner the Champ Car teams start having success, the greater chance the ICS has of winning over the "on the fence" CC fans. Many of these fans may not wait a year.

I too find it hard to believe that this is happen, especially with the huge advantage that Penske, Andretti-Green, Ganassi, etc.. have. Oh well.

NickFalzone
1st June 2008, 05:58
uh, Champ Car teams like NHL raced at Milwaukee for several years. I'm surprised that NHL and KV ran this well in qualifying, but it's not completely ridiculous. I'll be more impressed if Rahal or Power finish in the top 5. My guess is that there will be a lot of yellows... which hopefully they will not be a part of.

Also Andretti raced with NHL, not saying he's helping them out, but... you never know.

zoostation
1st June 2008, 14:34
Unfortuantely, that is the first thing I thought of as well. Can it be proved, probably not. The sooner the Champ Car teams start having success, the greater chance the ICS has of winning over the "on the fence" CC fans. Many of these fans may not wait a year.

I too find it hard to believe that this is happen, especially with the huge advantage that Penske, Andretti-Green, Ganassi, etc.. have. Oh well.

i think its a shame people still think its all 'fixed'.

Theres no way the league could get away with, someone would mention it, from within a team.

This is great news, two big names on the front row, but people would much rather come up with conspriracies, than actually enjoy some good racing.

sigh...

Rogelio
1st June 2008, 15:19
I am not claiming that there is a "conspiration." Like others on this forum, we just find it rather strange that some of the Champ Car teams are up front. Is the ICS fixing the races? Probably not, of course. I recall a few years back when Ganassi was complaining about Penske. The pit reporter told Ganassi that how could Penske have an unfair advantage if they had the same engine (so-called spec series). Ganassi simply replied to the effect that they have "different" equipment that they did not.

I am an OWR fan and a former die-hard Champ Car fan. I am not in any sense trying to degrade the series. Unfortuantely, it is just rather strange that some of the teams are up front. Yea, I know that some of the teams/drivers have run the mile but my strong guess is that Rahal and Power will not be there in the end.

Dr. Krogshöj
1st June 2008, 16:01
Dominguez I can understand as PCM is a small team and hasn't had all that much time in a Dallara. Moraes is completely lost out there.

Funny, I was just wondering what Ms Legge could have done if she still drove that Coyne car. A couple of years ago she was very impressive in Milwaukee.