PDA

View Full Version : The Moon

MrJan
31st May 2008, 22:06
Just watched a documentary about the blokes that have been to the moon. How cool would that be? Seriously just like walking about and kicking stuff, you'd be like a child again (not that I'm usually grown up ;) )

So if anyone has a few quid lying about then please send me a PM and make a donation to the 'Sending Jan Yeo to the moon Trust'.

I'm going to be walking like a spaceman for the rest of the night and thinking about how cool it'll be when I get to the moon. Might even take a football with me, oh and a cold beer in the ol' spacesuit.

tmx
1st June 2008, 04:24
Sorry, but I expected there will be a very heated discussion coming up about this topic. I don't want to mention exactly what about.

Dave B
2nd June 2008, 08:35
Never mind the moon, been there and done that; what about Mars? That surely has to be the next stage in human exploration. Given the length of the trip the moon would likely be used as a staging post, allowing plenty of time for Jan to have a kickabout!

The technology's there, all it needs is the money and the effort.

Mark
2nd June 2008, 08:37
I saw the programme, it was excellent. Despite that I can see why we haven't been back for all this time. It's rediculously expensive plus there's not actually that much there!

I was thinking while watching the programme that while the guys that did it aren't ancient, they are getting on a bit, will we actually see a time where there are no living people who have been to the moon?

Mark
2nd June 2008, 08:39
Never mind the moon, been there and done that; what about Mars? That surely has to be the next stage in human exploration. Given the length of the trip the moon would likely be used as a staging post, allowing plenty of time for Jan to have a kickabout!

There was a study done into that a little while back and while you would think having a staging post in orbit or on the moon would be a good idea, it actually works out about 10x more expensive than just going direct from earth!

MrJan
2nd June 2008, 10:21

Sounds good to me but I want to spend at least a long weekend at the Moon driving about and kicking things :up:

I don't really think that people need to go to the moon anymore, certainly not in a way that justifies the cost. Reckon that a lot ofmoney is being vested in the Mars trip.

Daniel
2nd June 2008, 11:16
There was a study done into that a little while back and while you would think having a staging post in orbit or on the moon would be a good idea, it actually works out about 10x more expensive than just going direct from earth!

I think they should just wait till the budget airlines get into space travel. You'll be able to go to Mars for £1 within a few years. Although you'll be mighty pissed when you find out that you actually land on one of the moons of Mars and have to get a taxi to Mars :p

maxu05
2nd June 2008, 14:10
I thought Virgin would have had direct flights there by now. Must have something to do with the rising fuel costs :D

schmenke
2nd June 2008, 17:45
...The technology's there, all it needs is the money and the effort.

Not quite. Technology exists to transport Jan to Mars, but not to keep him alive once there kicking stuff about.