PDA

View Full Version : I want a new mobile...

PuddleJumper
31st May 2008, 21:35
...and I'd like your help please.

I went shopping for a new mobile today but came back empty-handed because none of the shops I went in could tell me what the phones they were selling are actually like to live with everyday.

As someone who enjoys listening to music, I want a new phone that is capable of playing my music so I can do away with having a separate MP3 player. The higher the music quality, the better so it'll need a good sized memory, or the possibility of fitting a larger card. It'll need a decent battery too, but I don't mind having to charge every couple of days if necessary, so long as it performs.

The only other must-have is that the text software automatically changes the next letter to a capital following the use of a full stop. My current phone doesn't do that and it bugs me. :p :

Not bothered about web browsing capabilities or how good any camera/video is as I'm quite happy to keep using my PC and digital SLR for those.

So, if you have a phone that'll do the above, tell me about it.

Thanks. :cool:

pino
31st May 2008, 22:05
Buy a SonyEricsson 810i, is a great mobile with eccellent sound and you can use a memory stick up to 8GB :D

A.F.F.
1st June 2008, 00:20
Don't listen pino and buy yourself a Nokia N73. Easy to tweak, has a large screen and good buttons and works like a dream as MP3 player. Fullfills every need you might have. (yes, that one too ) :)

pino
1st June 2008, 06:36
Don't listen pino and buy yourself a Nokia N73. Easy to tweak, has a large screen and good buttons and works like a dream as MP3 player. Fullfills every need you might have. (yes, that one too ) :)

...and it cost double as much as my Sony :p :

Magnus
1st June 2008, 07:16
There was some time since I was on fire over mobiles now. But I actually ordered a new one the other day, a SonyEricsson G900. It has a writing function whcih I think will suit my rather hectic summers.

Tomi
1st June 2008, 07:16
What ever you do dont listen to pino, dont know about the mp3 player, but the phone part is crap.

Valve Bounce
1st June 2008, 09:54
If you wait three months, there will be an even better mobile phone and you will find the ones listed above will be much cheaper. That's life!!

pino
1st June 2008, 10:37
What ever you do dont listen to pino, dont know about the mp3 player, but the phone part is crap.

How can you say that paisá ? You have had one ? no. A Finn will never buy an Ericsson mobile ;) As for the one I've had 2 years ago, it was another model and the problem was my operator not the mobile :p :

810i is a great mobile, the best I've had in my life :up:

PuddleJumper
1st June 2008, 10:39
Buy a SonyEricsson 810i, is a great mobile with eccellent sound and you can use a memory stick up to 8GB :D
If that's the one you had in Finland last year ... no thanks. Half the time it wasn't a phone.

A.F.F.
1st June 2008, 10:41
I bought my N73 nearly two years ago. When it comes to mobile phones, that's a very long life span.

Tomi
1st June 2008, 10:46
How can you say that paisá ? You have had one ? no. A Finn will never buy an Ericsson mobile ;) As for the one I've had 2 years ago, it was another model and the problem was my operator not the mobile :p :

810i is a great mobile, the best I've had in my life :up:

Sorry I did not know you have a new one.

P.S. There is not anymore such thing as Ericsson phone.

Valve Bounce
1st June 2008, 11:00
I have a Motorola Razr K1 which I bought in Singapore for around AUD$200 and it does what I really need it to do. I just love the way it snaps shut. I bought a memory card and I store photos, with Benny as the wallpaper. I just love the way it opens and snaps shut. I don't use most of the special functions like voice dialing and blue whatever connections and I know I can use it as an MP3 player. I's just so beautiful that I just love my phone. :)

pino
1st June 2008, 11:01
I bought my N73 nearly two years ago. When it comes to mobile phones, that's a very long life span.

You're probably right but it's just too expensive if you only need an MP3 mobile, and last time I checked Basher wasn't a millionaire :p :

A.F.F.
1st June 2008, 12:24
You're probably right but it's just too expensive if you only need an MP3 mobile, and last time I checked Basher wasn't a millionaire :p :

It's an old model hence it's not too expensive anymore ;)

J4MIE
1st June 2008, 12:34
I need a new one as well, want same spec as PJ but want a good camera too so that I don't have to carry my DSLR around with me :p :

pino
1st June 2008, 12:39
I need a new one as well, want same spec as PJ but want a good camera too so that I don't have to carry my DSLR around with me :p :

810i has a great camera, I will show my pics in 2 weeks time when you will visit me ;) No I don't work for Sony :p :

Mark
1st June 2008, 16:36
I have an N73 (I am using it to post this) it does what basher wants but it does not have a standard phone jack and memory cards are limited to 2gb. But they are dirt cheap, you can get one without contract for less than £80. Take a look at the N95 8gb which does have a standard headphone socket. I am waiting for the N96 which is out in a few months which reportedly has 16gb plus microSD.

GridGirl
1st June 2008, 21:42
I had the N95 untill about a month ago and did think about waiting for the N96. My N95 was a pretty sound phone although it was quite prone to freezing which was quite annoying. I've since swapped to a Samsung Soul which seems to be heavily advertised on the tv and in magazines right now. Apparently is has a great mp3 player although I wouldn't know as I pretty much use a phone as a phone. It does have the capacity to put extra memory in as with the N95.

When I was looking for what to get myself I read that the Samsung F480 was supposed to be the Iphone beater in terms of mp3 player. Iphones are relatively cheap right now as the new version is coming out any time soon.

DonJippo
1st June 2008, 23:11
810i has a great camera, I will show my pics in 2 weeks time when you will visit me ;) No I don't work for Sony :p :

No mobile phone what ever is the brand has great or even good camera.

pino
2nd June 2008, 05:45
This pic was taken with my 810i...

Powered by Cosworth
2nd June 2008, 07:07
Somebody has to say it, iPhone.

For everything you've said it does the job. BUT APPLE ZOMG PRICE DESIGN NO FEATURES, ITS CRAP!!

Unlocked, it's about the same price as an N95, and the 3G one is going to be announced in the next week, so the older ones will be dirt cheap.Unless you desperatly need 3G, wait for the new iPhones to be unlocked or get a Nokia alternative.

It's well built, has taken many nasty spills to the pavement and other hard surfaces from great height, it has the best mobile OS ever, next to Symbian S60v3, and the touch screen is bloody brilliant.

Mark
2nd June 2008, 08:31
Somebody has to say it, iPhone.

For everything you've said it does the job. BUT APPLE ZOMG PRICE DESIGN NO FEATURES, ITS CRAP!!

Unlocked, it's about the same price as an N95, and the 3G one is going to be announced in the next week, so the older ones will be dirt cheap.Unless you desperatly need 3G, wait for the new iPhones to be unlocked or get a Nokia alternative.

It's well built, has taken many nasty spills to the pavement and other hard surfaces from great height, it has the best mobile OS ever, next to Symbian S60v3, and the touch screen is bloody brilliant.

I suppose someone has to suggest it but why not get two devices? You can get an iPod nano to do your music and a seperate phone?!

Dave B
2nd June 2008, 08:32
The current iPhone is, frankly, rubbish. And much as I love the screen it's a bugger to use one-handed like, say, a mobile phone. The new one is likely to be a lot better but it's still massively overpriced and (theoretically) locked to one network.

Daniel
2nd June 2008, 11:11
The current iPhone is, frankly, rubbish. And much as I love the screen it's a bugger to use one-handed like, say, a mobile phone. The new one is likely to be a lot better but it's still massively overpriced and (theoretically) locked to one network.

:laugh:

Form over function though :p

I have an N95 and it's great once you debrand it (easy to do on your PC) and update the firmware it's great.

You can get a 2gb card which is plenty for music IMHO. It does the capital after a full stop thing also.

I swore I'd never get a slide phone but I really like my N95. It does everything I need and more. I would possibly upgrade to an N96 but to be honest I don't use my phone all that much and it would be a waste.