PDA

View Full Version : Smoking whilst driving question

Hazell B
31st May 2008, 14:38
A few months ago I read a letter on teletext about it now being illegal to smoke whilst driving, and just thought the letter's writer had confused the new smoking in a work's vehicle rules.

Then this morning a woman on News 24 said new 'stealth' cameras where being placed on roads to catch smokers/phone users/eaters/etc. at the wheel.

Is it illegal to smoke while driving your own car, or not?

If it is, I've heard nothing at all official about it and certainly haven't noticed less smokers in cars.

dc10
31st May 2008, 15:41
Me neither although I do recall someone being done by police last year in a nearby town for eating at the wheel.

GridGirl
1st June 2008, 21:24
I don't smoke so I wouldn't smoke in my car but I always drink and occassionally eat the odd chocolate bar in my car. I'd be pretty annoyed if I were to get a ticket for having a drink of water whilst driving. I mean if we can't drink, why have cup holders? :p If I had to stop everytime I needed a drink I wouldn't get far at all.

Jag_Warrior
2nd June 2008, 02:10
We'll have to get you an F1 style steering wheel. When you hit the button that says "DRINK", it'll shoot your beverage of choice into your mouth. I'm joking but on second thought, I could go for one of those myself.

I'm sure you're all speaking about the U.K. But in the U.S., I'm not aware that smoking has been specifically called out (CA will be the first when it happens). But any action which distracts the driver and causes you to drift from your lane may earn you a ticket here. "Improper driving" is usually the catch-all charge here.

Dave B
2nd June 2008, 11:49
AFAIK there's no specific rule about smoking while driving, but you could be done for not using due care and attention if say you crashed while lighting a fag.