PDA

View Full Version : Portland Rose Festival is Here......

jimispeed
31st May 2008, 12:16
This makes me sad......... :( ;( :bigcry: :idea: Maybe next year??

Miatanut
31st May 2008, 18:33
I'd like to see ALMS back, in the traditional mid-August slot.
Open wheel? Atlantic, Star Mazda FF2000, sure.
What passes for the top rung currently? I'll pass.

tbyars
31st May 2008, 23:54
I'd like to see ALMS back, in the traditional mid-August slot.
Open wheel? Atlantic, Star Mazda FF2000, sure.
What passes for the top rung currently? I'll pass.

Then why are you here on the IndyCar forum? Just to complain?

PA Rick
1st June 2008, 05:34

There is a difference between being sad and complaining. I am sad there will be no Roar by the Shore in Cleveland.

Rogelio
1st June 2008, 05:52
Likewise, I think we should be allowed to voice our grievances, whether it is through sadness or complaining. I am sure a lot of us former CC fans have done a lot of complaining since the collapse of our beloved series. It is a travesty that traditional races with a long history such as: Cleveland, Portland, Toronto were simply dropped.

I attend Long Beach every year (except the past two years, went to the Vegas race instead) and I know that I would have been devasted in years past had the race would have been canceled. The ICS needs these venues and they better figure out a way to put them on the schedule next year or we stand to lose an already established fan base; that is if we did not already lose them.

NickFalzone
1st June 2008, 05:57
Likewise, I think we should be allowed to voice our grievances, whether it is through sadness or complaining. I am sure a lot of us former CC fans have done a lot of complaining since the collapse of our beloved series. It is a travesty that traditional races with a long history such as: Cleveland, Portland, Toronto were simply dropped.

I attend Long Beach every year (except the past two years, went to the Vegas race instead) and I know that I would have been devasted in years past had the race would have been canceled. The ICS needs these venues and they better figure out a way to put them on the schedule next year or we stand to lose an already established fan base; that is if we did not already lose them.

While I agree that it ****ing sucks Cleveland and Portland are not on this year's schedule, things are not as bad as you make out with Long Beach, Edmonton, and Surfer's all added despite the last minute unification. And Andretti bought Toronto, so I would expect at least another track or two to be added next season. Things could have been a lot worse.

tbyars
2nd June 2008, 00:18
PA Rick and Rogelio, I agree with you both 100%, but being sad or constructively opinionated about missing venues was not what Miatanut was doing. He was just slamming the ICS with his comment. I guess he hasn't figured out yet that CCWS isn't coming back, and if that leaves AOWR out of his realm of interests, then what in the world is he doing here? There is a place for that.

And, overall, I agree with Jimispeed. I look forward to Portland someday returning to the schedule. I always enjoyed that race.

-Helix-
2nd June 2008, 00:25

Dropped? In case you forgot the ICS already had it's own schedule. You can't fault them for not being able to fit all the other races dropped by that sham of another series into their schedule a couple months before the start of the season.

If those races were as great as you think they were then they'll find their way back on the schedule eventually. (For example, Toronto has already been confirmed for next year) Rome wasn't built in a day.

jimispeed
2nd June 2008, 01:45
You can't fault them for not being able to fit all the other races dropped by that sham of another series into their schedule a couple months before the start of the season.

There are a lot of very nice race venues that existed in what you call a sham of a series.......

I'm having a hard enough time watching Indycar and its 80% oval formula.

CART and Champcar were not a sham of a series. If they were, then why is their history now being quoted left and right all over the Indy broadcasts??

I want to see Indycar thrive as a series!

Improvements hopefully will come and achieve that.

Including many of the race courses from that sham of another series................ :rolleyes:

dataman1
2nd June 2008, 14:50

If you recall they combined the two forums just like they combined the teams, some tracks, etc..Those of us with zero control over the combination still have a voice and this is the only open wheel forum on which we can write.

I would point out that prior to the combination of the forums the membership was much bigger in the Champcar forum than the Indycar forum.

downtowndeco
2nd June 2008, 15:02
I would point out that prior to the combination of the forums the membership was much bigger in the Champcar forum than the Indycar forum.

It was probably counted the same way attendance at the street races was.

bblocker68
2nd June 2008, 15:21

Classic!! That quote made my morning. And I'm a Champcar homer!! :)

BenRoethig
2nd June 2008, 15:47

There is a difference between being dropped and already having legally binding contracts with Iowa and Watkins Glen for the late July date, they had to make a decision between Portland and not having a race in Canada. Even then it took forever to get through the paperwork. They can't completely reconfigure the schedule last minute to please a handful of disgruntled champ car fans. Places like Toronto, Cleveland, Portland, and Road America will have to wait for 2009 when there isn't yet a binding schedule.

BenRoethig
2nd June 2008, 15:49
CART and Champcar were not a sham of a series.

CART wasn't. Of course, with unification we're back to the good ole CART days.

cartpix
2nd June 2008, 16:02
As for Portland, I shot it for the last 3 years. I watched it go from a small crowd to an almost non existent crowd. The time Mount St. Helens came out of the clouds & we couldn't use any of the pictures because there was a 1/4 full grandstand in the foreground.

I loved the track. I love Portland. I love the people. The racing was great but nobody came.

Jeff

!!WALDO!!
2nd June 2008, 16:12
There are a lot of very nice race venues that existed in what you call a sham of a series.......

I'm having a hard enough time watching Indycar and its 80% oval formula.

CART and Champcar were not a sham of a series. If they were, then why is their history now being quoted left and right all over the Indy broadcasts??

I want to see Indycar thrive as a series!

Improvements hopefully will come and achieve that.

Including many of the race courses from that sham of another series................ :rolleyes:

Suggestion: Why not promote those races yourself? Maybe then the ICS will put them on the schedule. All those races lost money hand over fist.

I know that is not important that the races loose money but it is real important to those putting up the money.

(NO REFERENCE, IMPLIED OR REAL TO ANY POSTER, LIVING, DEAD, or NOT YET BORN.)

dataman1
2nd June 2008, 16:26

Funny,

The gate controlled attendance figures that were released by the promoters. Granted they seemed inflated at some events over the years.

Thinking back, Robin Miller always seemed to disagree with released attendance figures or peer estimates no matter which side he was rooting for at the time.

Miatanut
2nd June 2008, 18:15
As for Portland, I shot it for the last 3 years. I watched it go from a small crowd to an almost non existent crowd. The time Mount St. Helens came out of the clouds & we couldn't use any of the pictures because there was a 1/4 full grandstand in the foreground.

I loved the track. I love Portland. I love the people. The racing was great but nobody came.

Jeff

The promoter stopped promoting a few years ago. A lot of the local hotel concierges didn't even know there was a race in town that weekend. That's how bad it was.

I get a variety of gearhead publications and am on a number of mailing lists. Up here in Seattle, two years ago I got a postcard for the "Ferrari Challenge". Just an even to burnish the Ferrari image, but they did some marketing. This year I got a trifold promoting the vintage races at PIR. It's and excuse for guys to play with their nice toys, they sell tickets to it, and donate the proceeds to a non-profit. Still sent out some marketing. Never received any postcards for the Champ Car event. That's how bad the promotion was.

I know two years ago, where was an increase in attendance. It was noticeably more crowded around my seats at C2. Last year, with the monsoon on Saturday and iffy weather on Sunday, crowds were definitely down.

Miatanut
2nd June 2008, 18:17

This is the IndyCar forum? That series created because of the need for an all-oval racing series? Why would there be discussion of going to a road course then?

Road courses for road racers!

Pat Wiatrowski
2nd June 2008, 19:41

This is the US isn't it. He has EVER RIGHT to be here and complain if he wants.
If you do not like it, leave son,

downtowndeco
2nd June 2008, 20:30
This is the US isn't it. He has EVER RIGHT to be here and complain if he wants.
If you do not like it, leave son,

Hey, maybe you should just count him (Tbyars) down. : )

If mnut doesn't like anything anything about the IRL & is just here to bitch he should be the one to leave.