PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki works drivers are Urmo Aava and PG Andersson

Jaanus
23rd January 2007, 16:16
Suzuki Sport is announcing its 2007 FIA Junior Rally Championship* Suzuki Official Team drivers & co-drivers today. They are P-G Andersson and Urmo Aava, which had big fight until the last round of 2006 JWRC. Both driver will drive Suzuki Swift Super 1600 and aim for driver's champion.

http://www.suzuki-motorsport.com/jwrc/e/index.html

HaCo
23rd January 2007, 16:49
I don't think this is a good driver line-up. They should have at least one very experienced driver that can setup a WRC. Those 2 guys are just s1600 guys.

Allyc85
23rd January 2007, 17:20
ffs another brit misses out :(

I am evil Homer
23rd January 2007, 17:41
Poor Guy - he's as good as, if not better than Aava.

fastboy
23rd January 2007, 18:14
Wilks is doing 8 rounds in an 03 Focus,starting in Norway,i just hope the car stays reliable because he will be in the top 8 on every round,i am sure.

DonJippo
23rd January 2007, 18:28
Will be interesting to see who are the WRC drivers for Suzuki...

CABAIO E'LONA
23rd January 2007, 18:29
Then, PG will drive the SX4 wrc too?

JAM
23rd January 2007, 19:10
I was looking to Urmo Aava past and i'm surprised by the fact that he is an average driver (or the Suzuki file is wrong). Aava don't even have a national title... I never looked at this and I'm negatively surprised. There isn't better drivers to be choosen by Suzuki?

If one of WRC drivers is coming from the JWRC team, than Suzuki already started on the wrong side of the things.

jonas_mcrae
23rd January 2007, 19:18
I was looking to Urmo Aava past and i'm surprised by the fact that he is an average driver (or the Suzuki file is wrong). Aava don't even have a national title... I never looked at this and I'm negatively surprised. There isn't better drivers to be choosen by Suzuki?

If one of WRC drivers is coming from the JWRC team, than Suzuki already started on the wrong side of the things.

Not necesarly if they dont trust youg driver(s) they will end up like hyundai, also it is a lot cheaper...

Erki
23rd January 2007, 19:31

???

Urmo Aava is:
Estonian F2 champion from 1998
Estonian F2 champion from 1999
Estonian F2 champion from 2000
Estonian Group N champion from 2001

Or are my sources so wrong? :s

LeonBrooke
23rd January 2007, 21:37
Wilks is doing 8 rounds in an 03 Focus,starting in Norway,i just hope the car stays reliable because he will be in the top 8 on every round,i am sure.

What makes you think that? Are you someone who thinks that any British driver could get a shopping trolley onto the podium with their eyes closed?
There are dozens of drivers who have better records than him, there's no reason he should finish in the top eight at any event.

Simmi
23rd January 2007, 21:43
What makes you think that? Are you someone who thinks that any British driver could get a shopping trolley onto the podium with their eyes closed?
There are dozens of drivers who have better records than him, there's no reason he should finish in the top eight at any event.

Dont judge Guy until you've seen him. He hasn't been given his chance until this year.

swordsman
23rd January 2007, 21:48
I really believe in Urmo! Go Urmo! :) More than Märtin (I don't really like him - just to show I'm not a big fan of estonians just because of them being estonians), more than Wilks.... Really funny to see PG and Urmo. I think it's a perfectly strong Suzuki lineup where lots of raw speed are put together.

koko0703
24th January 2007, 00:09
Aava and PG for Suzuki JWRC.... So does this mean anything for their WRC??? Whoever does better with JWRC gets WRC seat??? If Suzuki is taking similar approach to Citroen, it is a natural progression to make their own JWRC driver a future WRC driver.

Josti
24th January 2007, 01:10
I think Urmo Aava has the most potential of the two. Andersson has been quite invisible to me since his S1600 championship. But I think these are two logical choises. I presume one of them will get a WRC seat for next year, so it will indeed be intresting who will get the other at Suzuki. Probably a more expierenced driver.

cali
24th January 2007, 08:21

Are National Titles driving or humans (rallydrivers)? Also like Erki already stated, that he has few national titles. He achieved first titles driving Lada Samara against VW Golf KitCar (thou the no.1 opponent wasn't really worldclass, but had about 10-15yrs experience).

I'm negatively surprised about your negative surprise.
Did you start on the wrong side of the things?

cali
24th January 2007, 08:31
I really believe in Urmo! Go Urmo! :) More than Märtin (I don't really like him - just to show I'm not a big fan of estonians just because of them being estonians), more than Wilks.... Really funny to see PG and Urmo. I think it's a perfectly strong Suzuki lineup where lots of raw speed are put together.

You problably don't like Märtin because he criticized Swedish rally about snowproblems - but he was right then and is still now ;) . Even some of swedish fans are frustrated about weather problems.

I've been in Swedish rally many times and going this year also - very nice rally if there's snow (lot of snow i mean ;) ).

JAM
24th January 2007, 09:34
???

Urmo Aava is:
Estonian F2 champion from 1998
Estonian F2 champion from 1999
Estonian F2 champion from 2000
Estonian Group N champion from 2001

Or are my sources so wrong? :s

I think your source is correct. The wrong source is Suzuki site (as i mentioned in my previous post) that show this about Arva:

1998-2000 Estonia F2
2001 Estonia N3
2003 Entered from SWT France, Junior World Rally Championship 5th

To Cali:

I don't know very well Urmo Aava before he came to JWRC. I resumed my coment on the information on the Suzuki site. I wrote that on my previous post.

Micke_VOC
24th January 2007, 11:43
I think Urmo Aava has the most potential of the two. Andersson has been quite invisible to me since his S1600 championship. But I think these are two logical choises. I presume one of them will get a WRC seat for next year, so it will indeed be intresting who will get the other at Suzuki. Probably a more expierenced driver.

Invisible ? He Had his title this year but FIA was not on his side.
PG is the fastest driver of them all....

cut the b.s.
24th January 2007, 13:35
PG is the fastest driver of them all....

Apart from Meeke and maybe even Wilks who had him in 06 for pace

jso1985
24th January 2007, 19:56
Not a bad choice IMO, I hope at least one gets the WRC car.
Wilks never impressed me a lot, i'm not anti-British as I rate Meeke very high, but Wilks looked pretty average to me.

ITC55
24th January 2007, 21:23
wilks will be quick, it all depends on how quick the car will be, look at how he drove in cork compared to markko martin and mark higgins, ok it was markko's first time back and all but both were new to their subaru's and markko had more testing. I say well done to guy for organising the drive and i hope the money keeps coming, just keep it on the road and the talent will show

FrankenSchwinn
24th January 2007, 21:32
i'm not negative for once, good for Aava! i like the guy (maybe cause i met him in person) and i think that for suzuki it's a good choice if they want to sell more cars in Estonia!

LeonBrooke
24th January 2007, 23:15
Dont judge Guy until you've seen him. He hasn't been given his chance until this year.

Of course you're right, I shouldn't judge him yet. But realistically, he's unlikely to finish any of the events in the points, in a four-year-old car, with little experience of a WRCar (am I right about this??). It's stupid to have such blind faith.

Buzz Lightyear
25th January 2007, 02:07
Of course you're right, I shouldn't judge him yet. But realistically, he's unlikely to finish any of the events in the points, in a four-year-old car, with little experience of a WRCar (am I right about this??). It's stupid to have such blind faith.

Its not blind faith my friend.... maybe not norway... but maybe another events, for sure wilks will 'run' in points positions, wheather he finishes or not is another matter :)

alleskids
25th January 2007, 13:34
Both Aava and Anderson will do Norway, P{ortugal, Sardinia, Finland, Germany, Catalunia and Corsica. So both drivers will need special approvement from the FIA to skip Finland and/or Coprsica if they get a change with the SX4 WRC.

Jaanus
25th January 2007, 13:52
All JRC drivers will skip 1 event of the 7 and drive a total of 6 JRC rallys. Both Urmo and PG have chosen Finland as the event they will miss and both plan to drive a WRC car on that event.

LeonBrooke
25th January 2007, 22:15
Its not blind faith my friend.... maybe not norway... but maybe another events, for sure wilks will 'run' in points positions, wheather he finishes or not is another matter :)

Maybe he will set a few top-eight stage times, but be realistic: he's never going to run consistently in the points, not in an '03 car and definitely not against such opposition as Gronholm, Hirvonen, Loeb, Sordo, the Solbergs, Gardemeister, et al.

Erki
26th January 2007, 06:44
That Focus 03 is better car than you think, Leon. ;)

Jaanus
26th January 2007, 08:51
Maybe he will set a few top-eight stage times, but be realistic: he's never going to run consistently in the points, not in an '03 car and definitely not against such opposition as Gronholm, Hirvonen, Loeb, Sordo, the Solbergs, Gardemeister, et al.

He is driving the Focus04 not 03. And Wilks is a good driver, maybe not on snow, but wait for the gravel events. First time he drove a WRC car last year in Ireland the Cork20 rally he was leading ahead of Mark Higgins and Markko Märtin. That should show something.

LeonBrooke
28th January 2007, 06:48
That Focus 03 is better car than you think, Leon. ;)

Yes, but who will it be run by?

He is driving the Focus04 not 03. And Wilks is a good driver, maybe not on snow, but wait for the gravel events. First time he drove a WRC car last year in Ireland the Cork20 rally he was leading ahead of Mark Higgins and Markko Märtin. That should show something.

I doubt he'll have an easy time against the world championship regulars. he may be able to set a few top-eight stage times but he'll languish around P10-P12 overall. Remember, he'll be up against Gronholm, Hirvonen, Solberg, Loeb, Stohl, Solberg, Gardemeister, etc.