PDA

View Full Version : Burnouts

lotuscortina
30th May 2008, 18:44
Hello all

Have been wondering why we never see any doughnuts or the like at the end of a race. Obviously i can understand if an engine or gearbox is only on its first race but if its just completed its second race or its the last race of the season and especially if youve just won, then it must be tempting on the slowing down lap?
We see wheelies, burnouts, rolling burnouts and all sorts in Moto GP and Superbikes and i think it gives the crowed somthing back at the end of the race and kind of makes the riders/drivers seem a bit more like us.
I can also understand if someones new or trying to just get thier career going not wanting to get into trouble but if a Hamilton or a Massa lit up the back wheels I doubt that a fine would really harm them and cant see them getting the sack.
Im not suggesting this makes or breaks F1, just a bit of inbetween race lighthearted chat :)

ChrisS
30th May 2008, 20:15
celebratory donuts burnouts etc. are illegal at F1 races

Thats the FIA for you

Tallgeese
30th May 2008, 21:19
Personally I don't like 'doughnuts' & 'burn-outs' & don't see the purpose of doing them after races. I disagree that 'it makes them (drivers) seem more like us' because the parade lap is enough. F1 (I believe) is meant to be gentlemanly, & 'doughnuts' & 'burn-outs' don't fit that description.

JSH
30th May 2008, 21:30
I believe there is also a regulation that the tyres must still have visible tread at the end of the race. Therefore, doing donuts greatly endangers this.

Additionally, to ensure there is no danger of not make minimum weight it can be beneficial to drive offline during the cooldown lap to pick up as much rubber on the tyres as possible.

ChrisS
30th May 2008, 21:35
I disagree that 'it makes them (drivers) seem more like us' because the parade lap is enough.

The F1 drivers in the back of the truck talking amongst themselves often not even acknowledging the fans on the stands makes them seem seem more approachable?

Tallgeese
30th May 2008, 23:26
The F1 drivers in the back of the truck talking amongst themselves often not even acknowledging the fans on the stands makes them seem seem more approachable?

Former F1 champion Jacques Villenevue once said that a major difference between F1 & CART (Indy) was that fans in the latter tend to be a lot closer to the drivers & that there tends to be more contact between the drivers & fans. I don't know if making the driver's more approachable or doing things like burn-outs is good for F1 because as we know, besides the glamour & so on, F1 is steeped in tradition & even Royalty thus keeping a distance (or barrier) with the drivers is part of it. It's not the circus that it is in the US-based open-wheelers. That being said, I don't think that they should be too far off, just not so personal.

ShiftingGears
31st May 2008, 00:00
Fans want to see the drivers having fun, doing burnouts etc etc, and I think the rules are a little too strict. Being closer to the fans can't be a bad thing. This idea of F1 really being about the glamour is a crock, and really that applies more to appeasing the sponsors than anything else.

PSfan
31st May 2008, 00:52
celebratory donuts burnouts etc. are illegal at F1 races

Thats the FIA for you

Granted, it does specify "After receiving the end-of-race signal all cars must proceed on the circuit directly to the post race parc
fermé without any unnecessary delay" I'm not sure how recent this rule has been put into place, and I'm not sure I recall ever seeing victory donuts in F1 (though I've only been following since the early 90s...) Though I imagine the FIA aren't the only ones who doesn't want drivers to be pulling donuts after a race. I'm sure the teams are anxious to analyze the components after a race without the data being compromised my some 10 secs have stress post race...

I would agree that F1 post race has lost alot of character, long gone are the drivers pulling their countries flag during a victory lap, and when was the last time a driver "hitched" a ride from one of fellow racers after their car failed them at the end?

ShiftingGears
31st May 2008, 01:17
I would agree that F1 post race has lost alot of character, long gone are the drivers pulling their countries flag during a victory lap
Massa at Brazil '06 was one ;)

Although, technically he broke the rules by stopping to pick up the flag.

and when was the last time a driver "hitched" a ride from one of fellow racers after their car failed them at the end?

I suppose thats less to do with rules, however.

Ranger
31st May 2008, 01:52
and when was the last time a driver "hitched" a ride from one of fellow racers after their car failed them at the end?

Probably Canada 1995...

Nowadays the exhaust pokes up out of the sidepod and a billion winglets would likely impale anyone who tried to sit on a sidepod... not a good idea!

SGWilko
31st May 2008, 08:15
I'm sure the teams are anxious to analyze the components after a race without the data being compromised my some 10 secs have stress post race...

:up: Absolutely, a side effect of these silly 2 race engine, 4 race gearbox rules, don't you think?

SGWilko
31st May 2008, 08:16
anyone who tried to sit on a sidepod...

Why did that make me think of the FIA president. Mwah ha ha ha ha! ;)

CaptainRaiden
31st May 2008, 08:52
The last guy to do a doughnut was Kimi last year at Spa. I don't know if he was penalized for it or not. It seems pretty harmless and fun, I don't know why it's not allowed.

Here is the video of Kimi from Spa 2007: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNH0xNvr13s

Ranger
31st May 2008, 09:17
The last guy to do a doughnut was Kimi last year at Spa. I don't know if he was penalized for it or not. It seems pretty harmless and fun, I don't know why it's not allowed.

Here is the video of Kimi from Spa 2007: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNH0xNvr13s

He wasn't penalised. ;)

The rule says you cannot be stationary on the victory lap to pick up objects etc... but at Spa there is no victory lap so it doesn't matter.

lotuscortina
31st May 2008, 10:25
I must have missed the end of that GP at spa last season but nice link.
Im sure i also recall the A1GP boys doing a few donuts after the last race of the season at Brands the season before last.

Also when i said "it makes the drivers more like us" what i actually meant was more like real people who, like anyone, like to blow off a bit of steam after work.

Tallgeese
31st May 2008, 11:52
Fans want to see the drivers having fun, doing burnouts etc etc, and I think the rules are a little too strict. Being closer to the fans can't be a bad thing. This idea of F1 really being about the glamour is a crock, and really that applies more to appeasing the sponsors than anything else.

Do we really want to see the drivers having fun? I don't know, it never crossed my mind & certainly not with each other. They should be competing with each other & I don't think that you can be 'friends' at this level.

Also F1 drivers can be emotional & even child-like but never childish! I also don't mind them jumping up & down (as long as it's not childish!), on the radio or expressing emotion from the cockpit, (with no swearing) but burn-outs & doughnuts simply don't fit the category of gentlemanliness. I don't believe that F1 should turn into a circus, nor do I think that drivers should be 'banned' from doing such stunts, but for the sake of the sport's image it isn't good to do it.

I want to see drivers actually speak up at press conferences, & not one-dimensional characters, & I want them to talk tough but gentlemanly. Hamilton is actually quite Ok at the post-race conference, but needs more exposure & should 'talk tough', not to 'talk trash' as we see in some other series. It seems every racer keeps his words soft & sweet to chew them later!

ShiftingGears
31st May 2008, 12:06
Do we really want to see the drivers having fun?
Yes.

but for the sake of the sport's image it isn't good to do it.

I don't see how.

ShiftingGears
31st May 2008, 12:46
Maybe you should watch MotoGP to see what I mean.

Azumanga Davo
31st May 2008, 13:38
Probably Canada 1995...

Nowadays the exhaust pokes up out of the sidepod and a billion winglets would likely impale anyone who tried to sit on a sidepod... not a good idea!

I'm very sure there was a race or two where it has happened in the last 6 to 8 years. For some reason, Hakkinen and Coulthard come to mind? No idea why.

Jag_Warrior
31st May 2008, 13:45
It's not the circus that it is in the US-based open-wheelers.

F1 has long been described as a circus. It's a compliment to say that the old CART series also fit that description. But the current scene in American OW is more like a carnival, meaning a sad series of freakshows. What we have now is a very sad situation.

As for burnouts or doughnuts in F1, I never gave them much thought. I'm more into the podium ceremony, as the pomp and circumstance there is greater than any other racing series.

wedge
31st May 2008, 14:42
So Tallgeese, you'd rather see Kimi look bored and mumbling to the press when his true emotions comes from being at one with his car?

ChrisS
31st May 2008, 15:19
Do we really want to see the drivers having fun? I don't know, it never crossed my mind & certainly not with each other. They should be competing with each other & I don't think that you can be 'friends' at this level.

Also F1 drivers can be emotional & even child-like but never childish! I also don't mind them jumping up & down (as long as it's not childish!), on the radio or expressing emotion from the cockpit, (with no swearing) but burn-outs & doughnuts simply don't fit the category of gentlemanliness. I don't believe that F1 should turn into a circus, nor do I think that drivers should be 'banned' from doing such stunts, but for the sake of the sport's image it isn't good to do it.

I want to see drivers actually speak up at press conferences, & not one-dimensional characters, & I want them to talk tough but gentlemanly. Hamilton is actually quite Ok at the post-race conference, but needs more exposure & should 'talk tough', not to 'talk trash' as we see in some other series. It seems every racer keeps his words soft & sweet to chew them later!

Sorry but I think you are a "victim" of the F1 PR machine. F1 is not this pure sport you seem to think it is.

Gentlemen drivers? these guys drop out of school or just scrape by to get a high school degree. They are young kids that suddenly find them selves rich and famous. They should be expected to go a little crazy.

Bleu
31st May 2008, 19:45
I'm very sure there was a race or two where it has happened in the last 6 to 8 years. For some reason, Hakkinen and Coulthard come to mind? No idea why.

Häkkinen took a ride from Coulthard after his car failed on the last lap at Barcelona 2001.

call_me_andrew
31st May 2008, 22:44
I never did care much for burnouts. They just seem unprofessional to me.

ShiftingGears
1st June 2008, 00:53
Sorry but I think you are a "victim" of the F1 PR machine. F1 is not this pure sport you seem to think it is.

Gentlemen drivers? these guys drop out of school or just scrape by to get a high school degree. They are young kids that suddenly find them selves rich and famous. They should be expected to go a little crazy.

Webber, by his own admission, would've been a plumber if he wasn't a racing driver :laugh:

I just think that banning burnouts, and preventing unnecessary stoppages on the post-race lap are needless restrictions. Especially considering some of Rossi's post finish celebrations. The fans love that kinda stuff, and merely allowing burnouts does not mean that drivers will do them every second week.

Tallgeese
1st June 2008, 19:08
So Tallgeese, you'd rather see Kimi look bored and mumbling to the press when his true emotions comes from being at one with his car?

I don't think thatRäikkönen has emotions or true emotions at all. In the old days, post-race conferences were interesting as they spoke like rivals & used surnames rather than first names. Yes the drivers knew each other but were not friends friends, nor did they have to do crazy things (such as burnouts) & whatever.

Räikkönen is expressionless, whereas Alonso swallows his words (he's not that great at English anyway) whereas Hamilton makes sense, but still needs to work on his PR a little (for instance, he's always repeating some lines) & Kubica is not so convincing. They should talk tough!!!!!!!!!

I know what you're saying & I know where most of them come (one reason why I think no one should enter an F1 race until they're 22) but at the end of it, F1 should also be about conduct. When I race (on Go-Karts or Super Karts) I don't stop to think about whether or not I am having fun or not. It's a passion, not fun per se. It's about winning & the persuit of victory. One can wave his arms, & 'go a little crazy' from time to time, but not to make a fool of themself. Massa kissing the camera after a victory is hardly a seeming sight.

Nigel Mansell picked up Ayrton Senna (in 1991) after he ran out of fuel in a friendly (but dangerous) gesture back to the pit-lane rather than leaving him stranded. If that happened to today it would seem odd (needless to say FIA probably won't look too kindly on it).

Drivers should express delight & happiness, but not make fools of themselves, & doughtnuts & burnouts don't strike me as falling into the latter category.

Ranger
2nd June 2008, 00:41
In the old days, post-race conferences were interesting as they spoke like rivals & used surnames rather than first names. Yes the drivers knew each other but were not friends friends, nor did they have to do crazy things (such as burnouts) & whatever.

And in 'the old days', drivers also holidayed together, sabotaged certain driver's cars together, got drunk together, and even went on strike together.

The wimps! :rolleyes: