PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the transition teams will do well at Milwaukee?

usgrandprix
29th May 2008, 17:48
It should be an interesting weekend. I'd really like to see some of these new teams take another step up in competitiveness.

Some of them looked stronger at Indy, but they did have a lot of practice time there. That won't be the case at the Mile, though I did notice they are having rookie-only practice on Friday, which is a cool move.

It's more of a driver's oval, so that will allow some of the talent to make up for inexperience with setting up the cars, but the two really are inseparable. And some of these guys have been on this track before. Also, there are fewer moving targets as the rules are a little more strict.

Still, this is the sort of oval Dixon, Kanaan, and Castroneves eat for breakfast and it is only a mile. Any of these transition teams stay on the lead lap and that's a great accomplishment, I think--especially if it's a hot, slick, one-groove day.

Hope there are fewer wrecks than at Indy.

mileman
30th May 2008, 03:47
As anyone may guess, I've attended more races at the Mile than anywhere else... (Over too many decades to want to admit...) I think that Milwaukee could be quite an equalizer. I still agree that Kanaan, Castroneves, Dixon, etc. have the advantage, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a top five or even podium transition driver.

bravefish
30th May 2008, 10:03
Yeh the field should be a lot more competitive here - its so flat that its just like a regular left hand sweeper

evo5_mat
30th May 2008, 11:44
sadly no, there too many years of data IRL original teams have on the car and be same cars up front until i say the road courses like st pete where set up is more easy to find

dataman1
30th May 2008, 14:35
If I were Rahal, I would give engineer Tom Brown at Forsythe a call to match him with Hunter-Ray. The 2 were a great match with RHR's win at the Mile. They dominated the others that year.

Rogelio
30th May 2008, 15:10
Cautions and pit strategy are the only hope that the former CC teams have of performing well. The only "equalizer" for the former CC teams is running on road/street courses. I hope they do well, but the sad fate is that they need to get the lucky brakes. Hopefully, a few driver can crack the top 12.

SarahFan
30th May 2008, 16:04
no...I expect back of the pack

the real question is which front runner will be running a timed race strategy from the green?

if I was a transition team I would be

dataman1
30th May 2008, 16:18
I agree with Ken. Strategy is the best option for a transition team to be in the top 5 -10.

According to transition team mechanics and mangers it talked with in May, the rules/inspection process allow for lots of development on aero pieces and there are a lot of them. It will take an under budget and/or transition team a long time to find tricks on their own or purchase parts if that is an option.

SarahFan
31st May 2008, 17:27
no...I expect back of the pack

the real question is which front runner will be running a timed race strategy from the green?

if I was a transition team I would be

well if todays practice is any indication I couldn't be more wrong..

Rahal P1
Power P2

and the rest are scattered fairly evenly throughout the field...impressive showing so far

Hoop-98
31st May 2008, 18:06
Not sure how it will translate into Practice 2 or Qualifying but certainly a good start.

http://i32.tinypic.com/2l3ple.jpg

rh

Hoop-98
31st May 2008, 18:24
FYI, the last 2 qualifying sesions for CC and IC.
http://i25.tinypic.com/fjltap.jpg

http://i27.tinypic.com/otnas5.jpg

rh

Mad_Hatter
31st May 2008, 22:31
Graham Rahal currently holds P1 in qualifying follow by Dixon and Helio. Next of the indycar rookies are Enrique Bernoldi- 6th, Oriol- 7th, EJ Viso- 8th, Mutoh- 12th.

Caution out for Vitor he's into the wall hard apparently.

Mad_Hatter
31st May 2008, 22:54
Marco takes pole on the final qualifying run

Champcar4life
1st June 2008, 00:02
Marco takes pole on the final qualifying run
Rahal is on the outside pole.