PDA

View Full Version : Townsend Bell

coogmaster
28th May 2008, 20:24
I mentioned this in another post, but why doesn't this guy have a full time ride? He drove a very consistent and strong race for D&R (started 12th and finished 10th) at Indy, and has sponsorship (although maybe only for one race), so shouldn't D&R try to run him full time?

I think I already know the answer to this, and of course its money, but what do you guys think?

Chamoo
28th May 2008, 20:53
I mentioned this in another post, but why doesn't this guy have a full time ride? He drove a very consistent and strong race for D&R (started 12th and finished 10th) at Indy, and has sponsorship (although maybe only for one race), so shouldn't D&R try to run him full time?

I think I already know the answer to this, and of course its money, but what do you guys think?

I wish he had a full-time ride. He is an above average driver who could pull in some wins. He has potential sponsorship if he can line it up with the right team. I could see him end up at a team like RLR or Panther who have 1 car operations and want to turn it into 2 car programs. That sponsorship could go a long way to doing that.

johnny shell
29th May 2008, 14:32
didn't he get fired from his last full time ride (champ car?) for wrecking too many cars?

coogmaster
29th May 2008, 15:28
I'm not sure about his history in CC, but he did run for Panther in the IRL a few years back and almost won a few races (Richmond I think was one).

Either way, he'd be a great addition to the American driver list if he does end up getting a full time ride.

Pat Wiatrowski
29th May 2008, 16:01
didn't he get fired from his last full time ride (champ car?) for wrecking too many cars?

Yes he did! A poor driver, just look up his record in Champ Car and in F3000.

racer69
29th May 2008, 17:07
He's doing a few races for D&R isn't he (the one's Milka Duno isn't?)

Alexamateo
29th May 2008, 17:12
In CART 2002, He had 6 wrecks in 9 starts including not being allowed to continue at Toronto after contact with Junquiera. His best finish was 4th @ Portland.

In the IRL in 2004, he had 3 wrecks in 10 starts with a best finish of 5th in Nashville.

At times he's fast, but at times he's also out of control. Has he gotten rid of the wildness? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

There's a certain Mr. Briscoe that has a top ride, but doesn't seem to have gotten crashing out of his system. :D

harvick#1
29th May 2008, 18:07
In CART 2002, He had 6 wrecks in 9 starts including not being allowed to continue at Toronto after contact with Junquiera. His best finish was 4th @ Portland.

In the IRL in 2004, he had 3 wrecks in 10 starts with a best finish of 5th in Nashville.

At times he's fast, but at times he's also out of control. Has he gotten rid of the wildness? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

There's a certain Mr. Briscoe that has a top ride, but doesn't seem to have gotten crashing out of his system. :D

Tomas Scheckter was the same way, Townsend has the speed and is determined, but he needs to remain relaxed and not crash

Briscoe is still learning Ovals, hes an road course driver, he did very well in Penskes Porsche RS Spyder last year in the ALMS. he just needs time on more ovals and he'll be a serious contender every race

ccorrall
29th May 2008, 18:43
A little T-Bell history for you.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_in_Indy_Lights
2 wins in 12 races and rookie of the year honors
runner-up to Scott Dixon for championship (decided on last race at Fontana where they finished side-by-side 1-2).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_in_Indy_Lights
6 wins in 12 races including lapping entire field at Milwaukee
runaway champion over some guys named Wheldon and Dominguez

always fast. has never been on a team with a car capable of winning races since Indy Lights. Definitely tried to make too much happen with inferior equiptment at times but so have alot of guys....Tracy and Andretti come to mind!

Yankee Racer
30th May 2008, 02:36
For the record, Townsend Bell is a very good commentator. He did the SPEEDTV coverage of the Italian Grand Prix last year for US viewers. I wouldn't mind seeing him take Goodyear's place. Then again, I wouldn't mind if Mickey Mouse took Goodyear's place.

Bell deserves a ride over Milka, but Milka clearly brings considerably more money. She costs D&R more with a wrecked car 100% of the time, but the fact she has held her ride just shows CITGO poors more money into it than William Rast can. If Bell can continue a solid performance in his remaining races, he'll get a ride. With a lot of teams on a tight budget this year, consistency is going to be key for securing work, especially if you don't have money. If he can calm down, we'll see more of him.

Civic
30th May 2008, 07:31
I met Bell June 12, 1999 at Buttonwillow when he was a driving instructor for the event I attended. He's funny and makes a good sponsor spokesman. What I noticed in his career is that he seems to spend his first season in any formula going past his limit in order to find that limit. The second season in the same formula has him winning the championship or coming close.

He did okay for a complete rookie in F3000 (new to car and track) and I think he even had a podium. He supposedly had good feedback when he tested the Jaguar Grand Prix car a few times. He was also brought in to test a BAR-Honda car because of his consistency in testing (though he only drove the BAR in a straight line to test I think the traction control).

Had he stayed with Patrick his full rookie season and a second season I'm sure he would've done as well or even better than Servia.

Most of his IRL crashes were other peoples' fault, and Chip was wrong about saying Bell only crashes into other people after Bell lapped/passed (maybe both? Don't remember) Jaques Lazier. Bell was usually the fastest Chevy driver in the field when the Chevy was the worst engine to have.

He should at least be in one of the Vision cars. I'm sure he'd do better than Carpenter.

Civic
30th May 2008, 07:34
Oh yeah, he's fan friendly. I waved at him at Long Beach inside the convention center during his rookie Lights year and he talked to me and took a photo with me, even though his companion (not sure if it was an engineer or PR person) seemed to be waiting impatiently for him.