PDA

View Full Version : Cheever, yea or nay?

usgrandprix
28th May 2008, 17:49
I thought he did a good job and I would give him another chance. I thought he did a good job of covering the expereiences of some of the lesser-hyped drivers with a lot of respect.

It was interesting to hear his comments about Scheckter.

I thought he actually worked well with Scott and brought him out a bit.

I'd like to see him stay on for long enough to get comfortable and maybe disagree where he feels like it.

garyshell
28th May 2008, 17:54
I thought he did a good job and I would give him another chance. I thought he did a good job of covering the expereiences of some of the lesser-hyped drivers with a lot of respect.

It was interesting to hear his comments about Scheckter.

I'd like to see him stay on for long enough to get comfortable and maybe disagree where he feels like it.

As much as I dislike Eddie for his past history, I am ready to break out the hot sauce and serve up a little bit of crow flambe. I really like the job he did. He did bring a much better style and understanding than tweedle dum and tweedle dummer in the booth with him.

Gary

Chamoo
28th May 2008, 17:56
As much as I dislike Eddie for his past history, I am ready to break out the hot sauce and serve up a little bit of crow flambe. I really like the job he did. He did bring a much better style and understanding than tweedle dum and tweedle dummer in the booth with him.

Gary

Agreed, I only caught the last 15 laps or so, but it was awesome to hear him filled with joy watching Dixon finish the last lap or so. He brought some racing experience to the booth which was nice. But just the enthusiasm he had those last couple of laps, sitting there, watching the race end, was awesome.

champcarray
28th May 2008, 18:06
I, too, preferred Cheever's commentary over the others'. Some of his insights were quite interesting.

nigelred5
28th May 2008, 19:07
I liked him. If anything, he also has a very good understanding of the personalities of INDY owners AND drivers.

Now if we can just get rid of Marty Reid and Scott Goodyear. Certainly there are more accomplished drivers and announcers with a more engaging delivery than either of them.

Again, I keep telling myself, it's year one. Baby steps. baby steps.

mlj
28th May 2008, 19:21

Gary

My sentiments exactly....

BenRoethig
28th May 2008, 19:29
I agree. Cheever did an excellent job. Now what we need is a "play by play" guy and we can give Scott and Marty their retirement party.

usgrandprix
28th May 2008, 20:00
In case I gave the wrong impression, I just wanted to clarify that Eddie is not part of the regular team. It's back to buiness as usual next week. I won't comment on what I think about that (nothing nice to say and all).

I don't think they would just let Eddie take Scott's job, but I wonder if he's sweating it.

Maybe Eddie could to the Indy Lights races. Do Marty and Scott do those too?

dataman1
28th May 2008, 20:01
I found Cheever to be refreshing and a welcome addition to the broadcast. They should keep him.

coogmaster
28th May 2008, 20:10

Yes, I agree, it seems like his mere presence made Marty and Scott sound more intelligent, if that's possible. The chumps at ABC, if they know what's good for 'em, should add him full time to the broadcast booth.

CCFan
28th May 2008, 21:09
Cheever did a fine job. They should add him to the booth permanently.

Placid
28th May 2008, 21:48
Thumbs up for Cheever in the booth. I would say to place him with Bob Varsha, and Steve Matchett. He is perfect for F1 broadcasts.

!!WALDO!!
28th May 2008, 22:03

Gary

What past history? Him leaving CART?

(NO REFERENCE, IMPLIED OR REAL TO ANY POSTER, LIVING, DEAD, or NOT YET BORN.)

beachbum
28th May 2008, 22:06
Cheever certainly changed the dynamics, and I thought he did great job. Some of his jabs at Goodyear during the qualifying shows were priceless, like "so, why did you pass the pass car?". He was informative and entertaining. What more do you need.

coogmaster
28th May 2008, 22:20
Cheever certainly changed the dynamics, and I thought he did great job. Some of his jabs at Goodyear during the qualifying shows were priceless, like "so, why did you pass the pass car?". He was informative and entertaining. What more do you need.

When they were discussing numbers, he also said something like, "I don't know how they do math in Canada" or something like that. He has a great sense of humor.

inthemarbles
29th May 2008, 01:08

No way! He really said that? I love it. I just became an Eddie Cheever fan. How did Goodyear respond?

LTalbot
29th May 2008, 01:11
Thumbs up for Cheever in the booth. I would say to place him with Bob Varsha, and Steve Matchett. He is perfect for F1 broadcasts.
It would be bad to upset this apple cart. Bob Varsha, Steve Matchett and David Hobbs with Peter Windsor in the paddock and pits are the gold standard for an entertaining motor sports broadcast.

But Eddie Cheeever was great, keep him and dump the other two.

treadlightly
29th May 2008, 01:20
A Priceless Moment: During quals Marty and Scott presented Cheever with a life-size cardboard cut out of Michael Andretti. After placing it between Scott and Eddie, Eddie said he liked that Michael Andretti, because he doesn't speak. Then after he elbowed the cutout to knock it down, his reply " ooops I didn't see him". Then Goodyear said, yea I always wanted to ask you, "what were you thinking"? referring to the Watkins Glen incident between Cheever/Marco, proceeding to get back at Cheever when he asked Scott "what were you thinking" during the passing of the pace car incident at the 500.

beachbum
29th May 2008, 01:37
That whole exchange between Cheever and Goodyear was a riot. Goodyear tried to justify his actions with some rather odd logic, and when Cheever didn't buy it, Goodyear asked what Cheever would have done. "Well, I wouldn't have passed the pace car!"

Not only was Cheever entertaining, he also had a knack for explaining everything in easy to understand terms. He seemed to assume that most of the people watching were at least somewhat knowledgeable, so we didn't get the football field in x seconds, or other simplistic explanations. He did sneak in some very revealing little tidbits about setup and so on, and even seemed to raise Goodyear's level. Together they were fine and seemed to play off each other very well. Unlike some announcers, if he didn't have anything to say, he was quiet. Now, if we can just make the lock steps go away.......

garyshell
29th May 2008, 01:59
What past history? Him leaving CART?

No, not the fact that he left but the way he talked about CART after he did. Most of the other folks who went to the IRL before him or after him were at least diplomatic, Eddie on the other hand took every cheap shot he could. But that was not the only thing. His mouth seemed to be engaged before his brain when he was in F1. And his comments about other folks in the IRL were often in a similar mode.

But, I'll tell you I was really impressed with the job he did last Sunday. Until then I never really cared for Eddie "the mouth". But after that broadcast, I ate the proverbial crow and wished Eddie was in the booth the rest of the season.

Gary

inthemarbles
29th May 2008, 02:03
That is hilarious! I was actually there that day and it was the weirdest race I have ever been to. The next day on the front page of one of the local newspapers there was a big picture of Scott making a Tonya Harding face and the headline read "The Finish Whine". Put me down for a yea on Mr. Cheever.

Yankee Racer
29th May 2008, 02:38
Let's get Bob Jenkins and Eddie Cheever for Milwaukee.

Once, in 2000, I saw logrolling on ESPN. I think Marty Reid and Scott Goodyear are good candidates for that.

Not to turn it into a bash Marty and Scott thread, but...I still can't get over when he was talking about a replay during the Kansas race with Dan Wheldon, Tony Kanaan, and Vitor Meira...

Marty: There's uhh...there's uhh Tony Kanaan...uhhh...uhhh...Tony Kanaan...uhhh...we're going to go side-by-side...

coogmaster
29th May 2008, 15:20
No, not the fact that he left but the way he talked about CART after he did. Most of the other folks who went to the IRL before him or after him were at least diplomatic, Eddie on the other hand took every cheap shot he could. But that was not the only thing. His mouth seemed to be engaged before his brain when he was in F1. And his comments about other folks in the IRL were often in a similar mode.

But, I'll tell you I was really impressed with the job he did last Sunday. Until then I never really cared for Eddie "the mouth". But after that broadcast, I ate the proverbial crow and wished Eddie was in the booth the rest of the season.

Gary

One thing I think we should remember about Eddie Cheever: He was a tremendous driver. In his IRL days, he was the driver to beat, almost untouchable at times. He had alot of hard luck with mechanical failures (probably because he was Infiniti's main guy and pretty much their guinea pig) but he drove the hell out of every race he was in. I remember one year, 1999, he started in the rear at almost every race, and drove right to the front. I think he passed more cars that year than Stewart did in '97 (maybe not). Cheever was a charger, and as a driver, I think he should get respect for that. Sure he screwed up at times, but hey, in racing, everyone will make a mistake every now & then.

Either way, his record makes up for his mistakes IMO

rundgy
29th May 2008, 18:13
I really don't like the guy but I have to say I thought he did a really good job, they should keep him. I was really surprised.

Bobby_Hamlin
29th May 2008, 20:55
Cheever was ok, but man oh man was I impressed with Gary Lee and Larry Rice. As far as the commentary glory goes: did they pinch it? ...oh they pinched it! ...right away from Cheever like a last lap Hornish outside pass for the win - a move only Hornish could make.

keysersoze
30th May 2008, 01:00
For you Americano basketball fans out there, the Cheever-Goodyear pairing reminds me of Bill Walton-Steve "Snapper" Jones. Lots of banter and not-so-veiled disdain for each other.

Good stuff!

inthemarbles
30th May 2008, 01:39
For you Americano basketball fans out there, the Cheever-Goodyear pairing reminds me of Bill Walton-Steve "Snapper" Jones. Lots of banter and not-so-veiled disdain for each other.

Good stuff!

Let me guess...Goodyear = Walton, right? Go Lakers!