PDA

View Full Version : 2008 24H of Le Mans official thread !!!

Tom206wrc
28th May 2008, 13:47
Hi,

It's time to create the official thread of the famous race, as this coming sunday is the "Journée Test"(test day)of the 24H of Le Mans :D

Can't wait for the pics and videos :bounce:

Unfortuneately the announced weather for sunday looks quite bad... this is unfortunate as the pics in general look ugly when taken with grey/dark sky and wet ground ;(

Let's hope for very sunny weather during the race itself(14th/15th june) :rolleyes:

harvick#1
28th May 2008, 18:56
so great to see so many Protoypes :D

hopefully the rain will take away the advantage the Diesals have on the competition

Paul Holroyd
29th May 2008, 08:57
Also good to see Porsche back in prototype racing...shame it's not P1 but hey im not complaining
You cant have a Le Mans race without rain anyway...can you!

harvick#1
31st May 2008, 18:57
http://www.motorsport.com/photos/select.asp?S=LEMANS&E=24_Hours_of_Le_Mans/Test_day_Friday&Y=2008

the boys are at La Sarthe :D

Sleeper
1st June 2008, 20:56
Another LMP went flying today, 4th time this year so far (that I kow off). Good job Gene is OK though.

harvick#1
1st June 2008, 23:17
http://www.lemans.org/24heuresdumans/actu/2008-06-01_CF_3048_fr.html

wow, glad Marc is ok

Paul Holroyd
2nd June 2008, 12:44
A Big-off.... good see Marc is ok and well, to see the cars lift on a corner is a bit concerning. It's a good job it was the web cam there and not a camera man.

Tom206wrc
2nd June 2008, 18:03
Yes terrible crash it was :eek:

Hopefully, both Marc and the 908 #7 will be ready to run Le Mans in less than two weeks...

Stunning time by Stéphane Sarrazin :D

shazbot
2nd June 2008, 21:35
Maybe this should be a topic for a thread all on its own, but it is very concerning that these cars have such a propensity to take off when they go sideways. Clearly the regulated underbody chamfer is not enough to prevent this potentially lethal type of accident. I hope a car never gets into a spectator area as the results would not bear thinking about. I wonder is this spate of accidents is ringing alarm bells within the FIA. If not I think it should be.

Due to the nature of closed wheel cars it's tricky to see what a solution may be without radically altering the rules/pre-conceived idea of what an LMP car is. I don't remember the last time I saw an F1 car take off in similar circumstances, so as unpalatable as it may be to some maybe that is the direction to go - less floor area.

wedge
3rd June 2008, 13:04
Correct if I'm wrong, I'm not an aero guy, but generally cars running venturi grounds effect have a propensity to lift spectacularly.

Of cars I've seen go spectacularly airborne over the years they all ran venturis.

nemanjas
3rd June 2008, 15:49
Clearly the regulated underbody chamfer is not enough to prevent this potentially lethal type of accident. I hope a car never gets into a spectator area as the results would not bear thinking about. I wonder is this spate of accidents is ringing alarm bells within the FIA. If not I think it should be.

I agree. I think they should limit prototype speed to 60kmh. There is no need to go this fast in populated areas.

shazbot
4th June 2008, 12:15
I agree. I think they should limit prototype speed to 60kmh. There is no need to go this fast in populated areas.

Thanks for that intelligent contribution to the thread.

GF350
5th June 2008, 07:31
Maybe this should be a topic for a thread all on its own, but it is very concerning that these cars have such a propensity to take off when they go sideways. Clearly the regulated underbody chamfer is not enough to prevent this potentially lethal type of accident. I hope a car never gets into a spectator area as the results would not bear thinking about. I wonder is this spate of accidents is ringing alarm bells within the FIA. If not I think it should be.

Due to the nature of closed wheel cars it's tricky to see what a solution may be without radically altering the rules/pre-conceived idea of what an LMP car is. I don't remember the last time I saw an F1 car take off in similar circumstances, so as unpalatable as it may be to some maybe that is the direction to go - less floor area.

Looking at the video, it looks like the first impact on the barrier caused the lifting of the side of the car and the speed just carried it on, not the same thing as the Mercedes incident where it did it all on its own.

I wouldnt say theres much you can do to design that sort of behaviout out, the only solution would be bigger run off areas and gravel traps.

A F1 car would have behaved differently as the wheels came off but it's difficult to say which would have handled it better.

The point here is that Gene escaped almost unharmed from what was a bad accident, so the safety regulations work.

Breeze
5th June 2008, 15:11
Not so unharmed after all, as he's pretty banged up right now. Hopeful to be well enough to drive Le Mans, but not yet definite. Could have been worse, for sure, so he's lucky in that.

MrJan
8th June 2008, 21:11
It was a scary accident that Gene had and I think that rather than aero or speed it is down to the weight of the car.

As for Nemanjas comment, are you just fishing for a reaction? Why don't we just run old ladies on those little scooters for the handicaped, unless of course they are too fast for you?

SEATFreak
11th June 2008, 08:46
Anyone else into Le Mans? The big race is on Saturday at 3pm.

Again the Aston Martin 009 team looked good in Free Practice. The team of David Brabham, Antonio Garcia and Darren Turner.

In the first they came in their class (LMGT1) third they came third with a time of 4:01.404 and in the second they topped their class with a time of 3:53.531. But their main rivals in the GT1 class are #53 Labre Competition Saleens of Christophe Bouchut, Partrick Bornhauser and David Smet (who topped session one) and both Corvette Racing teams. The #63 team of Ron Fellows, Jan Magnussen and Johnny O'Connell and the #64 team of Olivier Papis, Oliver Gavin and Massimiliano Pappis. The former came 4th in both sessions and the latter came 2nd in the first and 3rd in the second.

Elsewhere and in the GT2 class BMS Scuderia Italia drivers of Matteo Malucelli, Paolo Rubertini and Fabia Babini topped the first session with a time of 4:11.429 and in the second the session was topped by Risi Competizione of Jaime Melo Jnr., Gianmaria Bruni and Mika Salo.

And in the LM P1 class in both sessions the top top places were dominated by the same team. In the first by the #3 Audi Sport Joest of Lucas Luhr, Alexandre Premat and Mike Rockenfeller and the #2 Audi Sport cars of Rinaldo Capello, Alan McNish and Tom Kristiensen. And in the second by the #8 Peugeot Sport drivers of Pedro Lamy, Stephane Sarrazin and Alexander Wurz and the 9# Peugeot Sport drivers of Franck Montagny, Ricardo Zonta and Christian Klien.

I look forward to the race. Top drivers from F1 and Touring Cars througout. But of course I will be pulling for DT in the #009 Aston Martin with David Brabham and Antonio Garcia.

Rudy Tamasz
11th June 2008, 09:12
What's the story with LMP 2? Who's on top? I notice they get little attention.

MrJan
11th June 2008, 09:20
I quite like the event and I think ITV4 are showing something (they had the test day last weekend) so might watch a bit if possible. Personally I'm more excited about the Classic Le Mans which I'm going to next month, loving it :D

AndyRAC
11th June 2008, 10:25
Hope it doesn't turn into another Audi benefit. Just hope the Peugeot's are reliable. And fast.

Tom206wrc
11th June 2008, 12:20
Superb pics of this week's scruteneering !!!! :bounce:

http://www.passionautomoto.fr/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=89

Today evening(7.00pm gmt+2)start the qualifying practices...I bet Sarrazin will be the fastest overall :p :

Excellent news to add !!!! The 2nd Epsilon Euksadi coupé will run the Le Mans race too, with Jean-Marc Gounon, Stefan Johansson and Shinji Nakano as great line-up :D

Unfortuneately the italian LMP1 Lucchini-Judd of Racing Box has been forfeit...explaining the new arrival in the last moment yesterday :(

Another great news, the 908 #7 has been successfuly rebuild in less than a week and Marc Gené is 95% fit(he complains of very light pain in back and neck only) :)

Can't wait for this evening now !!!!

SEATFreak
11th June 2008, 15:17
What's the story with LMP 2? Who's on top? I notice they get little attention.

In Free Practice 1 it was Barazi Epsilon in the Zytek (Juan Barazi, Michael Vergers & Stuart Moseley) with a time of 3:47.349 and in Free Practice 2 it was Van Merksteijn Motorsport in a Porsche RS Spyder (Peter van Merksteijn, Jos Verstappen & Jeroen Bleekemolen) with a faster topping time of 3:42.191.

I don't know why they get little attention. Three teams are British based.

"RML" of Tommy Erdos (who now lives in Milton Keynes), Mike Newton and Andy Wallace in an MG Lola, "Team Bruichladdich Radical" who race a Radical AER with Marc Rostan, Ben Devlin and Paul Thomas, and Embassy Racing in an Embassy Zytec with Johnny Kane, Joey Foster and Warren Hughes.

edv
11th June 2008, 15:49
Hope it doesn't turn into another Audi benefit. Just hope the Peugeot's are reliable. And fast.

Well, they did pretty darned good at Spa last month, winning the race. Let's hope they can stretch that reliability for 24 hours.

Tom206wrc
11th June 2008, 16:47
More pics ;)

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/select.asp?Y=2008&S=LEMANS&E=24_Hours_of_Le_Mans/Tuesday_scrutineering

Start of qualifying practice un about one hour... :)

harvick#1
11th June 2008, 17:36
audi #2 with the yellow looks disgusting, they should've used Silver instead :s

Scuderia ferrari
11th June 2008, 19:33
Yeah! Hindy read my email out on radio le mans!

KK3869
11th June 2008, 21:54
Dumas binned his Pescarolo during the night session.

SEATFreak
11th June 2008, 22:06
DT's Aston Martin team ain't doing that well. As I write 6th in the GT1 class behind both Corevette's, Labre Competition and IPB Spartak Racing and the #007 Aston Martins. But Brabham is in the #009 Aston. If DT were in he would creame the others! :)

As expected though in LMP1 the top 3 are all Peugeot's with the next 3 all the Audis.

http://www.lemans.org/24heuresdumans/pages/chronos_gb.html

KK3869
11th June 2008, 23:15
Noda flipped his Mazda at end of the session, hes alright though.

Tom206wrc
12th June 2008, 05:19
I didn't expect Franck Montagny to be almost as fast as Stéphane Sarrazin, more used to the car :eek:

Also interesting that Alex Wurz and Ricardo Zonta were constantly under the 3'30" during the night practice :)

harvick#1
12th June 2008, 06:24
very surprised in the Q-session.

what happened to the Lola-Aston???
what happened to Aston Martins GT1 speed???

was Audi Holding back (prolly just like last year)
how good can the Porsche RS Spyders can be, they are definitely the top of LMP2.

Tom206wrc
12th June 2008, 10:41
Last part of qualifying practice this evening from 7.00pm to 0.00am(gmt+2) ;)

SEATFreak
12th June 2008, 13:47
Would it be OK if someone were to merge my rather puny and pathetic Le Mans thread in with this bigger and better one? :(

I do give the final qualification times at the end at the very least. And very dissapointed with the #009 Aston's. Labre and Spartak must be good teams.

KK3869
12th June 2008, 19:27
9 Pug and 14 creation have crashed and the 59 Modena Aston Martin lost a wheel, all within a few minutes of each other.

harvick#1
13th June 2008, 06:30
should be a very interesting battle between Audi and Peugeot. Audi basically claimed they weren't even bothering with Q-times and the #2 Audi with TK, Dindo, and McNish all seen extremely confident in the car. we all know they dominated last year and had a 4 lap lead on #1 Audi last year before the loose wheel. look for the fab 3 to be the favorites again

Tom206wrc
13th June 2008, 06:57
Nicolas Minassian and Stéphane Sarrazin were very quick during the night part of the qualifying practice(they did 3'21" and 3'23") :eek:

nemanjas
13th June 2008, 15:55
As i recall, ACO doesnt like to have lap times below 3.30. And Verstappen did 3.32 in P2 Porsche RS Spyder. Essex Porsche was at 3.33. I'm betting there will be smaller restrictors for proto classes in 2009.

Bouchout did a great lap, almost topping GT1 class.

In GT2 Porsches on top, but Flying Lizards closed its garage at 23hr, they did theirs race setup done and called it a day. Risi and Virgo not so fast, but F430s use lot less ruber, so will see what brings race in GT2.

And those Mazda powered protos certanly can fly ;) They should practice landing, though ;)

MrJan
13th June 2008, 16:58
Yes they do like to keep lap times down which is understandable really given that it's such a gruelling event and we've already seen cars having big accidents. IIRC GT1 is generally kept below 3:45 or restrictors will be introduced the year after.

mac853
13th June 2008, 20:38
I am very disappointed to see those cool Spyders are totally restricted by ACO just not to challenge the LMP1s, so unfair for myself in the case of this class' competitiveness could be always so "fragmented" due the lack of reliability. But i still believe VM Spyder could go at least at Top10 if they could be regular and careful during the race.
Of course my favourite car is undoubtly #8 Peugeot 908 of Lamy.

harvick#1
14th June 2008, 06:10
its a 24 hour race mac.

attrition comes to play everyyear, the winning GT1 cars were 4th overall in 2006 and 5th overall in 2007.

as long as the RS Spyders are durable enough, they can be in the top 3 overall

harvick#1
14th June 2008, 06:18
hey Tom,

do you have the Scoring and Timing site they will be using,

also do you have the link to Radio Lemans again, I really enjoyed listening to them last year and want to hear from them again tomorrow :D

SEATFreak
14th June 2008, 08:32
What exactly is the main difference between a)P1 and P2 and b)GT1 and GT2? I am brand new to the Le Man 24 hour race.

I may not be able to talk like many comments in the posts above and talk with such technical and tactical knowledge but going on what I see of the results of the second qualifying, Corvette did well in qualifying. Both Teletext and Ceefax have articles covering the qualifying and it is all about the P1 class and the Peugeot vs Audi battle. Certainly one of the 2 top teams is Corvette Racing. The two trios of Felows/O'Connell/Magnussen in the #63Corvette and Gavin/Papis/Bereta look very strong. Corvette must be a strong team. Both teams in the top 3. The other for me is a toss up between the #007 and #009 Aston Martins and Labre Competiton. Aston Martin have names in their team what with Turner, Frentzen, Brabham and Gavin but Labre run only one car but they seem to be in the top 4 almost on a consistent basis.

Looking forward to Sunday.

Looks though

MrJan
14th June 2008, 10:39
Harvick think this is the link RADIO LE MANS (http://rlm08.0157.org/)

Does anyone know of a streaming site or something? Still don't know how much I'll be able to pay attention to as have a bit of college work to do. Joy.

Tom206wrc
14th June 2008, 10:42
You also have timing on http://www.lemans.org ;)

Montagny was fastest by far(more than 2s)on the warm-up this morning...not so sure Lamy will be leading for long time :p :

Iain
14th June 2008, 12:40
The French Eurosport site is apparantly streaming the race live, Jan.

MrJan
14th June 2008, 14:13
Beauty Iain. Watching a dodgy free steaming off the back of that info as seem to have to pay for the proper Eurosport one which goes completely against my morals. :up:

If anyone has problems with the Radio Le Mans link (I got some codec complaint or some other computer b*****ks) then SpeedTV also have it and is working sweet for me.

http://www.speedtvgames.com/RadioLeMans/

harvick#1
14th June 2008, 14:20
Mr. Jan Yeo :D :up:

thanks

MrJan
14th June 2008, 14:29
Video here: http://www.freetvcity.com/Eurosport%20France.htm

Not fantastic and a few seconds behind the radio but better than staring at the wall :D

Did anyone with proper coverage see what happened with the MG Lola? Looks like he pulled over to take the racing line when he wasn't properly past and got turned into the barrier from the grainy footage I saw.

harvick#1
14th June 2008, 14:58
all I'm getting on that site is Cycling :confused:

MrJan
14th June 2008, 15:02
Yeah unfortunately the French love their cycling so they seem to have that on at the minute. I assure you that it WAS motor racing :laugh: Sadly I can only find links to the same stream from other sites so will just have to sit it out :S

harvick#1
14th June 2008, 15:02
What exactly is the main difference between a)P1 and P2 and b)GT1 and GT2? I am brand new to the Le Man 24 hour race.

the difference between P1 is Factory, and P2 is Privateer. P1 has more power,weight etc...

GT1 and GT2 is the same thing with power, weight, etc...

MrJan
14th June 2008, 15:06
Schedule on http://yahoo.eurosport.com/tvschedule_clng0.shtml
apparently racing not back on until 16:15 GMT and is on and off through the evening/day (depending on where you are :D ) Probably best for me as I need to get on with college work rather than watching racing :laugh:

Scuderia ferrari
14th June 2008, 15:18
Why don't Eurosport stop being stupid and show the race from the start?! It's all very well showing quali and then not the race........

mac853
14th June 2008, 15:18
its a 24 hour race mac.

attrition comes to play everyyear, the winning GT1 cars were 4th overall in 2006 and 5th overall in 2007.

as long as the RS Spyders are durable enough, they can be in the top 3 overall
With the avatar you have i believe you are yankee, i am confident you are confused with ALMS and LM 24H race rules.
As i believe happened in US series, Spyders are less restricted than in europe, the another problems was also the track are so large, with big straight lines and high traction surface in La Sarthe.
I believe too the tank size is already decreased not to gain advantage to be less consuptive.
The other big problem are the both teams are privateer, they maybe aren't so much sophisticated car parts as the Penske ones, maybe not same kit. They maybe couldn't find the best strategy to fit the car, due this is the debut race of Spyder go to so long 24h race.

Daniel
14th June 2008, 15:22
Schedule on http://yahoo.eurosport.com/tvschedule_clng0.shtml
apparently racing not back on until 16:15 GMT and is on and off through the evening/day (depending on where you are :D ) Probably best for me as I need to get on with college work rather than watching racing :laugh:

It's on Eurosport2 if you have Sky or Virgin :)

MrJan
14th June 2008, 15:24
It's on Eurosport2 if you have Sky or Virgin :)

I've seen that but sadly there is a reason why I'm now watching the Dauphine Libere ;) Damn you Freeview.

MrJan
14th June 2008, 15:37
http://www.justin.tv/giac2007 better link but still showing cycling

Scuderia ferrari
14th June 2008, 15:42
http://www.justin.tv/giac2007 better link but still showing cycling

That just says loading for ages for me- don't work. GRRRRRRR

harvick#1
14th June 2008, 15:55
With the avatar you have i believe you are yankee, i am confident you are confused with ALMS and LM 24H race rules.
As i believe happened in US series, Spyders are less restricted than in europe, the another problems was also the track are so large, with big straight lines and high traction surface in La Sarthe.
I believe too the tank size is already decreased not to gain advantage to be less consuptive.
The other big problem are the both teams are privateer, they maybe aren't so much sophisticated car parts as the Penske ones, maybe not same kit. They maybe couldn't find the best strategy to fit the car, due this is the debut race of Spyder go to so long 24h race.

they are running 12th and 14th overall so they are running very well, they both already have a lap over the 3rd place LMP2 car

MrJan
14th June 2008, 16:03
That just says loading for ages for me- don't work. GRRRRRRR

I needed to install some Adobe thing before it'd work and then click somewhere else to link to it for some reason. I've now just spent the 4.90 euros to get Eurosport player for a month, need to work out how to unsubscribe I think once the month is up or it keeps taking money out.

harvick#1
14th June 2008, 16:08
lead Peugeot #8 in the garage, gearbox Problem

MrJan
14th June 2008, 16:15
Collard in the Pescy just had a very weird accident, almost like there was a lack of brakes (or attention!)

Seems to have carried on though

Iain
14th June 2008, 16:43
A lot happening so far. 009 still leading class as far as I know. :D The ACO's live timing seems to be a bit slow to update.

harvick#1
14th June 2008, 16:46
A lot happening so far. 009 still leading class as far as I know. :D The ACO's live timing seems to be a bit slow to update.

quite slow, lucky the radio is on top of its game :D

MrJan
14th June 2008, 17:11
Yeah the radio is the best of the lot. It's quite good cos I'm writing an essay with the radio on and Eurosport in the background so as soon as I hear the radio talking about something I can switch to the TV in time to see it happen :D

mac853
14th June 2008, 17:42
they are running 12th and 14th overall so they are running very well, they both already have a lap over the 3rd place LMP2 car
Yes you are right they should be better than i thought, Porsche is always Porsche.
But my favourite VM car is going behind of Essex 1, due their team owner VAN MERKSTEIJN is driving it, which is drastically slower than Bleekemolen and Verstappen, but what else if he's the boss, which pay everything. :cool:

lead Peugeot #8 in the garage, gearbox Problem
Noooo, this is the tragedy, my mainland countryman's dream, to be the 1st portuguese to win this classical event could in the vain again, god damn it! :mad:

MrJan
14th June 2008, 18:04
Actually racing for position over 4 hours in :D

MrJan
14th June 2008, 18:54
Interesting that Montagny has put in a 3:20 lap time where last years pole was a 3:26 and fastest lap of race was 3:27. Is this down to development, weather or sneaking something past the ACO?

mac853
14th June 2008, 19:25
Any predicitons if will rain?
Then the lowered power categories cars may go forward due the handling advantage.
What happened with Team Essex with 7 pitstops instead of VM with only 6 until now but, why still are close, and Bleekemolen are going away by Elgaard, anybody could tell me?

harvick#1
14th June 2008, 19:43
Interesting that Montagny has put in a 3:20 lap time where last years pole was a 3:26 and fastest lap of race was 3:27. Is this down to development, weather or sneaking something past the ACO?

I think its a little of everything.

as for the pitstops, both RS Spyder are both on 7 stops, I think the Essex group is alittle better than VM. very surprising not to see much attrition yet? maybe the LMP2 teams are tired of all the tharshing they got from last year and went for more reliability.

so far a great run for the Oreca boys and the Dome

mac853
14th June 2008, 20:02
I think Dome chassis will use Toyota Supra GT HV-R hybrid engine to challenge Peugeot and Audi at next year, like Charouz car are also using GT1 engine of DBR9.
Since Maassen is on the Essex, so they become technically official and all 3 drivers are so regular and fast. Instead for VM, only 2 drivers are super fast and experienced on any big race, the weak point is their boss which has just lowered category race experience, for himself Spyder are just not easy car to drive.

harvick#1
14th June 2008, 20:14
the teams will never get to challange the Audi's/Peugeots until the ACO quits handicapping the teams using non-Diesel engines

Daniel
14th June 2008, 20:15
the teams will never get to challange the Audi's/Peugeots until the ACO quits handicapping the teams using non-Diesel engines
Yup.

harvick#1
14th June 2008, 20:31
look at the fastest times so far

Fastest non-Diesel
Dome Racing #11 3m.29.504

Fastest Diesel
Peugeot 908 #8 3m 19.394s

Slowest Diesel
Audi R10 #1 3m25.166s

thats 4 seconds slower than the slowest and 10 seconds slower than the fastest. how fair is that. and the average the Peugeot is around 3m 24s, the audi is 3m26s, and the nondiesels are 3m33s

MrJan
14th June 2008, 21:02
But to be fair Dome have a much smaller budget than Audi and Peugeot and probably have had nowhere near the develpment. I still agree that there needs to be a change but everyone needs to be careful not to over react and penalise teams who essentially just have really good cars, something we saw when Audi brought 4 wheel drive to the BTCC and ended up with severe weight penalties.

harvick#1
14th June 2008, 21:05
wow, leading Peugeot got stuck in the gravel trap at the Ford Chicane.

Klien went into the gravel

MrJan
14th June 2008, 21:07
dammit. I just flicked over to WTCC qualy for a bit. Lame :laugh:

Looking at the times he lost a whole lap for that indescretion :eek:

harvick#1
14th June 2008, 21:31
top 6 are once again all Audi/Peugeot.

very surprising not to see many falloffs yet? it is now night at the track also

MrJan
14th June 2008, 23:02
SC out

Shifter
14th June 2008, 23:05
Courage in the wall, and the #8 Peugeot got a jump on the SC into the pits.

Shifter
14th June 2008, 23:09
Courage #6 was the car involved, saftey crews are being vary careful with the driver. Courage #5 is just now pulled into the garage.

MrJan
14th June 2008, 23:12
Apparently driver was talking which is good, never really like to see accidents in motorsport especially when it involves safety crews.

KK3869
15th June 2008, 00:09
No 8 Pug with problems again

ShiftingGears
15th June 2008, 00:11
Anyone got any links to Eurosport Asia-Pacific streaming?

harvick#1
15th June 2008, 00:18
seems Audi #2 and Pug #7 are at a stall mate, they've been about 2 minute gap for quite awhile.

it looks as if Pug can just do what ever they want, when they want to push, they can be 6 seconds faster a lap. would be interesting if some rain starts falling, but I don't think thats coming until the PM hours on Sunday.

AndyRAC
15th June 2008, 00:25
Still think Audi will win, though I hope not. The event needs a new winner.

MrJan
15th June 2008, 00:27

No can do. You might be able to use one of the links I posted above but they seem to be jumping around a bit and using different channels.

Even though I've now signed up to the eurosport site it's still tricky to follow.

Wouldn't rule out rain yet but I'm no meterologist :D There was also talk of fog which might be interesting.

In the mean time GO ASTON MARTIN :D :D

KK3869
15th June 2008, 00:31

http://24ur.com/sport/ostalo/prenos-24-ur-le-mans.html

Not asia-pacific, but its a stream

MrJan
15th June 2008, 00:44
I think that those Pugs look awesome but they must be painfully hot inside, especially when they were running behind the SC

harvick#1
15th June 2008, 00:52
ah

13 more hours to go, so far been in this for 11, startin to get tired :D

MrJan
15th June 2008, 01:00
Yup I hear the tiredness thing. I'm going to flake out soon as am going to watch some trials riding tomorrow and still have college work to finish (all of which means that I'll miss the second half of the race).

Nice 360 by the Pug there, just showing off to the fans in front of the grandstand :D

harvick#1
15th June 2008, 01:01
with all the cameras they brought for onboard cars, why only the Audi's and Peugeots. I would really like to see some onboard footage of a different car right now. maybe in a Corvette or Aston, Pescarolo, Ferrari, Porsche, or Lola

MrJan
15th June 2008, 01:17
As I read your post Harvick they are in car with a Corvette :D

KK3869
15th June 2008, 01:27
44 Mazda has stopped on track

harvick#1
15th June 2008, 01:27
As I read your post Harvick they are in car with a Corvette :D

I just saw that :dozey: :D

MrJan
15th June 2008, 01:46
Cars are doing very well, only 5 out so far with a few regular visitors to the pits.

I'm not doing so well and with 12 hours down I'm going to call it a night. To be honest Le Mans is just a warm up event for my visit to the classic next month when I'll do it properly :D

KK3869
15th June 2008, 02:10
8 Pug with problems again

Miatanut
15th June 2008, 02:13
#8's been having a rough time, but otherwise the Pugs seem to be holding up well!

harvick#1
15th June 2008, 02:29
everytime I see the Pug go to the garage, I really hoped it was the #7, I want Audi to take the lead.

but hats off to Peugeot, they definitely brought 3 amazing cars

harvick#1
15th June 2008, 02:51
hmm, all the peugeots needed a cooling for the engines, wonder if its a terminal problem that can come back in the final hours.

RalfsLastFan
15th June 2008, 02:54
Peugeot had almost the exact same problem for most of last year too, didn't they? And then at the first races this season.

So, uh...take a hint guys?

Miatanut
15th June 2008, 03:07
Precautionary pressure washing.

KK3869
15th June 2008, 03:09
The rain has arrived

harvick#1
15th June 2008, 03:09
its officially raining :D

Iain
15th June 2008, 03:12
Now things get interesting! The Matmut Courage across the track at the final corner was a bit dodgy. :s

harvick#1
15th June 2008, 03:36
wow the power shifted, the Audi is running almost 10 seconds faster than the Pug. except for Sarrazin whos running the same times

Miatanut
15th June 2008, 03:39
Looks like the Audi's went into this with more of an intermediate setup so the cars would be friendlier in the rain. Villeneuve's car is all over the place.

Iain
15th June 2008, 03:53
McNish was saying he wouldn't be too disappointed if the rain came and he usually dislikes the stuff, so that would give a clue to their setup.

harvick#1
15th June 2008, 04:28
Dawn is appoarching, although rain clouds will block the sun.

TK is setting a torrid pace now and is pulling away from the #7 Pug :D

call_me_andrew
15th June 2008, 04:59
The rain is letting up. #9 Pug in pits getting more wet tires.

Audi has a softer chassis than Pugeot, so they have the advantage in the rain.

EDIT: Have there ever been two cars on the lead lap this late in the race before?

harvick#1
15th June 2008, 05:47
if you are listening to Radio Lemans, they were talking about the closest finishs. and yes, there have been one or 2 races.

this is lookin to be a dog fight between the 2 as long as it stays wet, if the track drys, its all Peugeot for the taking, unless Audi has a magical button to up the power

F1boat
15th June 2008, 07:37
Very interesting race, I will be very surprised if the Audi wins again.

harvick#1
15th June 2008, 08:01
the way mother nature played out. its Audi #2's to lose, they have about a 2 minute lead and grows. McNish, Capello, and Kristensen really deserve the win as they were the class of the field the previous 2 years before trouble cost them the win. the Peugeots were so unbelievably quick in the dry but it seemed that the

how about the white wash of ferrari's in GT2, they claim the top 5 positions.

very surprised to see so many P1 and P2 machines still running, at this point, normally the Aston and the vettes are fighting for 5th overall

MrJan
15th June 2008, 09:05
I missed a bit by going to sleep then? Audi now lead and it seems to be a bit wet, does that pretty much cover the last 7 hours?

Daniel
15th June 2008, 09:14
I missed a bit by going to sleep then? Audi now lead and it seems to be a bit wet, does that pretty much cover the last 7 hours?
As far as I can see yes.

Peugeot just unlapped themselves. Race is on now.

Daniel
15th June 2008, 09:17
7 is on inters now. Race is on!

MrJan
15th June 2008, 09:27
Pug got relapped in the pits by the looks of it even though the 2 car stopped as well. #1 and 3 on inters now too and a bit twitchy on them. Will be fun to see what lap times are but I don't think it's the right time yet.

Daniel
15th June 2008, 09:28
Audi spinner!

MrJan
15th June 2008, 09:29
One of the Audis just spun but TV just went to ad break as it was half way round

Daniel
15th June 2008, 09:32
One of the Audis just spun but TV just went to ad break as it was half way round
Limping back to the pits now.

MrJan
15th June 2008, 09:34
Yup something wrong as it's going very slowly and being overtaken by 'vettes. Other Audi did a 4:12 to an wet tyred 3:59 from the #2

Daniel
15th June 2008, 09:36
into the garage :D Yay! :p

MrJan
15th June 2008, 09:47
Apparently the Pugs are much better in an intermediate setup which means we could see another swing back that way.

SEATFreak
15th June 2008, 10:23
Grat news. The #009 Aston Martins are leading the GT1 class with the Corvettes second. Down by about several laps it looks like so no chance of being outright winner probably but very good all the same.

Just out of interest their is P1 and P2 and GT1 and GT2. What is the main difference between each. The difference between P1 and P2 and of GT1 and GT2. I know you have cars like the Lolas in the "P" (Prototype??) and the Saleens, Ferraris and Porches in the Grand Tourers. But is their any great technical or phycical difference between each Prototype car and each Grand Tourer?

Shame about Vitaphone Racing. The only GT1 car out of Le Mans.

harvick#1
15th June 2008, 10:24
3 and a half hours left. its been a very long day, I'm ready to drop down and sleep right now, but I must keep going, its 4:30 AM right now, just got to get to 8 AM for the finish

harvick#1
15th June 2008, 10:27
Apparently the Pugs are much better in an intermediate setup which means we could see another swing back that way.

well the Peugeot are the class of the field in the dry, so its gonna be a mouse chase and see if the Peugeot can make up 3m and 30s to beat Audi

go Capello, McNish, and Kristensen, I want another Audi win :D

SEATFreak
15th June 2008, 10:30
Yeah! The #64 Corvette of Papis/Gavin and Beretta are out and DT is in to replace Garcia!!

But the other Corvettes (#63) are still in there fighting. It is as close in the GT class between Aston Martin and Corvette as it is in the P1 between the Pugs and Audi.

Go DT! :up:

EDIT: WTF is happening? First the #64 Corvettes are out now they are back in. The #63 Corvettes were out now they are back in.

harvick#1
15th June 2008, 10:44
are you talking about the live scoring. they somewhat switched it over half way through the race, I was sort of confused by it also, thank goodness for Radio lemans as they would say something first.

audi gonna make it difficult for Peugeot, TK is going back in to finish the race :D

SEATFreak
15th June 2008, 10:49
are you talking about the live scoring.

The Chronos on lemans.org.

Would it be OK if I asked you to answer my question? For whatever reason you cannot or won't then fine. It is just I cannot think where I could find out where I could find out the answer.

harvick#1
15th June 2008, 10:55
yeah sorry, I'm using the same timing system, I've also been up for 21 hours so I'm not in the best of shape in the mind.

harvick#1
15th June 2008, 11:23
Pug #8 back in garage with a lot of steam coming from the engine, looks like its done

Scuderia ferrari
15th June 2008, 11:25
Can't believe Virgo are out. They'd done such a good job :(

Daniel
15th June 2008, 11:42
Kristensen has contact!!!!!!

danceswithcars
15th June 2008, 11:44
dang. for guys used to rain on Sundays and all, they are not doing well. bumper car time, even for TK.

harvick#1
15th June 2008, 11:49
its still a 2m44s lead, its shrinking but if that crap happens again, then its all thrown out the window

danceswithcars
15th June 2008, 12:01
hmmm....
Peugeot is now on the same lap, but going slower. the big question is: will any damage to the Audi show up during the next two hours?
i wonder what is is the bigger problem, rain or fatigue?

SEATFreak
15th June 2008, 12:08
yeah sorry, I'm using the same timing system, I've also been up for 21 hours so I'm not in the best of shape in the mind.

That's cool. I wonder if you can offer me a suggestion as to who else I can go to request some anwer to my question. I could always just assume stuff. That would be easier and less hastle for everyone. Another I have is why the P1 class is so much more popular in the press and media than any of the other classes. The P2 and GT1 and GT2.

It is just both Saulnier Racing and Rollcentre Racing are all customer teams for Pescarlo who run them. But whereas Saulnier are in LM P2 Rollcentre are in LM P2.

However I do notice whereas theirs Aston Martins, Corevettes a Saleen and a Murcialago in GT1 their isn't any of those in GT2. Just like their is Porsche 911's, Ferrari F430's and Spykers in GT2 but none in GT1.

harvick#1
15th June 2008, 12:09
nick going in Pug #7.

wonder if Audi will put McNish in the car

SEATFreak
15th June 2008, 12:10
Oh well.......I did try hard tho. :(

Audi has once again proved tactically stronger. Managing the drivers so that Kiristiensen races the #2 Audi to the line. I just don't think Montagny in the #9 Pug and Nicolas Minnassian in the #7 Pug is better than Tom Kristiensen.

danceswithcars
15th June 2008, 12:13
Peugeot continues to fade. saving fuel? trying to avoid their own splash-n-go? or more radiator trouble? another car found a bird in their radiator a few hours ago!

danceswithcars
15th June 2008, 12:14
Seatfreak, you got an answer to that in post #50 on page 3. ;)

Rover V8
15th June 2008, 12:15
Grat news. The #009 Aston Martins are leading the GT1 class with the Corvettes second. Down by about several laps it looks like so no chance of being outright winner probably but very good all the same.

Just out of interest their is P1 and P2 and GT1 and GT2. What is the main difference between each. The difference between P1 and P2 and of GT1 and GT2. I know you have cars like the Lolas in the "P" (Prototype??) and the Saleens, Ferraris and Porches in the Grand Tourers. But is their any great technical or phycical difference between each Prototype car and each Grand Tourer?

Shame about Vitaphone Racing. The only GT1 car out of Le Mans.

Hope this helps explain the LMP rules- LMP1 cars are heavier, more powerful and theoretically faster, although factory backed LMP2 cars in the USA have muddied the waters a bit by being fast enough to win outright, although with a little help from the rules...Hope this helps explain the LMP rules
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Mans_prototype

GT1 cars are basically allowed more modifications and therefore greater perofrmance over GT2s- I can't find an easy explanation of the regs at the moment

SEATFreak
15th June 2008, 12:18
Hope this helps explain the LMP rules- LMP1 cars are heavier, more powerful and theoretically faster, although factory backed LMP2 cars in the USA have muddied the waters a bit by being fast enough to win outright, although with a little help from the rules...Hope this helps explain the LMP rules
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Mans_prototype

GT1 cars are basically allowed more modifications and therefore greater perofrmance over GT2s- I can't find an easy explanation of the regs at the moment

Thanks! :up:

danceswithcars
15th June 2008, 12:42
the four "categories", from the horse's mouth:
http://www.lemans-series.com/en/s02_corporate/s02p02_categories.php#titreCategLMP1

harvick#1
15th June 2008, 12:54
what a fitting ending, half the track is rain, other is sun. Peugeot chasing Audi, 1 hour to go

wow

AndyRAC
15th June 2008, 13:54
I know I should congratulate Audi - but I can't.

Maybe Peugeot should just really concentrate on Le Mans and use the ALMS/LMS races as test sessions.

KK3869
15th June 2008, 13:54
Wooo Audi!

ioan
15th June 2008, 13:58
Well done Audi, the Peugeots were fast but too thirsty and that cost them, also the Audi drivers were way better in the wet!

Congrats Audi!

PS: Wonderful reliability from both Audi and Peugeot.

harvick#1
15th June 2008, 14:02
congrats to Audi, such an awesome race from start to finish.

the Reliability was excellent between Audi and Peugeot. The RS Spyders going 1-2 in LMP2 is excellent. Aston Martin with the Gulf livery winning is pretty sweet, although I'd prefer if Corvette won

well done to all the teams and drivers who ran the race. all the marshalls for doing a great job controlling the race

please come back Audi, you can't leave now

Observer7
15th June 2008, 14:58
Another First is that the only Lamborghini Murcielago racing in LMGT1 made it to the finish line this time.

wedge
15th June 2008, 15:41
Wow! Fantastic!

Easily the best LM race for nearly a decade.

Well done to Audi and especially Mr Le Mans AKA Tom Kristensenn.

The pace of the Peugeots is near equal if they adjust their strategy to be more conservative. Third time lucky perhaps?!

F1boat
15th June 2008, 16:26
Fantastic race and a great victory for "Audi". They showed that they are the best team. I can't believe that endurance races can be so cool, I start searching for some ALMS highlights!

SEATFreak
15th June 2008, 16:45
I reckon congrats are in order tho for every team in their class who won.

Obviously the main class, Audi Sport North Americs in P1 who showed how competitive the R10's are, but also the winners of the slightly less powerful sister catagory to the Pototypes, Van Merksteijn Motorsort (#34) in the Porsche RS Spyder who got the fastest lap in the class, the GT1 winners Aston Martin (#009) in the DBR9 who also got the fastest lap in the class, and again the winners of the slighly less powerful sister catagory GT2 which was won by Risi Competizione (#82) in the Ferrari F430 GT.

Sleeper
15th June 2008, 16:51
Wow, what a race, fighting all the way to the line. At last McNish gets that 2nd win he's been after for most of the last decade. I was impressed to see the Dome and Lola- Aston make the finish and be so fast throughout. I just hope the ACO follow up on their promise to slow the diesels to a race average of 3:30s, that would put them about equal to a well run petrol car.

wedge
16th June 2008, 01:20
First hour of the race:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puRuDEMBSLs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWajU2Xk4Kw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAevAWuvR6s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjETof3a5Js

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxm9asxXsvM

FormerFF
16th June 2008, 02:21
That was a good one. Peugeot lost this race in the pits with 8 more minutes total pit time, or Audi won it by going with a softer setup that worked better in the rain. And Tom Kristensen did it again.

Shifter
16th June 2008, 08:03
It was all in the pits. Peugeot had to steam clean the radiators, that was the 2 minutes they needed back. Manassian (sp?) was awesome in the wet on slicks.

Daniel
16th June 2008, 08:27
It was all in the pits. Peugeot had to steam clean the radiators, that was the 2 minutes they needed back. Manassian (sp?) was awesome in the wet on slicks.

Yup. I was sitting there not long after the start wondering why Peugeot had gone off so aggressively at the start and then continued on like that when all it was going to do was hurt their fuel economy. Surely someone must have realised that their fuel economy was going to keep on putting them in the pits while Audi was just out pootling along at a steady pace. Props to Audi for having a sensible race pace and strategy. I really wanted Peugeot to win it but they lost it for themselves.

F1boat
16th June 2008, 09:06
First hour of the race:

Thanks for the video, wedge :)

wedge
16th June 2008, 12:25
I think Peugeot wanted to put a huge gap and consolidate it with the extra pitstops.

I think Kristensen said it would've been touch and go if it had stayed dry most of the race.

Audi did their homework and knew it was going to rain and set their cars up accordingly.

The rain made the difference and shook things up. Probably wise heads in the Audi camp and especially Tom Kristensen driving awesomely when the Peugeots were still in the hunt. He's called Mr Le Mans for nothing!

Tom206wrc
17th June 2008, 10:14
First hour of the race:

Thanks !! :up:

reinhardt
10th August 2008, 12:00
If you like to see some Lamborghini pictures from the Le Mans Series, allthough the Murciélago R-GT didn't finish the race.

http://www.reiter-engineering.com/2008/07/gallery-24-hours-of-le-mans-ipb-spartak-racing-lamborghini-murcielago-r-gt/

and here are some pictures from the "Background" and Team
http://www.reiter-engineering.com/2008/07/gallery-24-heures-du-mans-gallery-1/