PDA

View Full Version : How Many Cars At Milwaukee? Race?

Chamoo
26th May 2008, 22:11
How many cars will show up at Milwaukee attempting to qualify? I remember reading somewhere they would only allow 24 (?) cars at Milwaukee because of pit boxes. Who shows up? Who doesn't make it?

Alfa Fan
26th May 2008, 22:25
As far as I know there's the full 27 entries for Milwaukee, surprised the list isn't on indycar.com yet.

Andrewmcm
26th May 2008, 22:36
How many entries and how many make the green flag may be two separate stories. I wonder if N/H/L will make the field given that the only two complete cars they have (apparently) were in the wall on Sunday?

BobGarage
27th May 2008, 08:10
How many cars will show up at Milwaukee attempting to qualify? I remember reading somewhere they would only allow 24 (?) cars at Milwaukee because of pit boxes. Who shows up? Who doesn't make it?

barnhart said at the start of the season 26 would be the limit on the smaller ovals including milwaukee. At the time there were 26 regular car/drivers. With Mario Dominguez that should be 27 so there should be 1 DNQ this weekend.

mharter
27th May 2008, 11:26
In the Indy Star last week they said they were working on adding pit boxes, so hopefully nobody has to go home.

gofastandwynn
27th May 2008, 15:07
The Mile promoter was on the radio the other day and said they remeasured the pit boxes and fit and extra one in, so the will be able to start 27 cars.

VkmSpouge
27th May 2008, 18:38
That's good news, no DNQing for anyone :)

JSH
27th May 2008, 20:02
How many entries and how many make the green flag may be two separate stories. I wonder if N/H/L will make the field given that the only two complete cars they have (apparently) were in the wall on Sunday?

I personally wouldn't worry about NHL. Was Sarah Fisher planned to go to Milwaukee?

usgrandprix
27th May 2008, 20:46
27 on the entry list. No Sarah.

http://www.indycar.com/news/2008/milwaukee/2008_ics_milwaukee_entrylist.pdf

dataman1
27th May 2008, 20:56
Not 100% but thought I heard Sarah say in one of the local Indy channel news reports that she would be in Kentucky if enough money came in for the repairs. Then at the awards banquet she said the Indy check would help with the repairs.

coogmaster
27th May 2008, 21:03
Good to see the Jamie Camara car on the entry list. Hopefully they can get that car fixed in time, although I bet Eric Bachelart is scraping his pennies after that hard crash in the 500.

wbcobrar
28th May 2008, 01:22
I live 40 miles from the track its 7:30 at night and 47 F , frost warnings for tonight , I will be at the race , but wouldent were it a night race. No more talk of Wisconsin PM races untell July please !

NickFalzone
28th May 2008, 18:12
http://www.indycar.com/news/?story_id=11556

coogmaster
28th May 2008, 20:17
The IndyCar website is still listing 31 drivers on there. I know Sarah and Tomas won't be at Milwaukee (although Tomas should), but does anyone know if Townsend Bell will? He drove an awesome race Sunday, and IMO should be driving in Milka Duno's ride for pete's sake. But we all know these days its about the money, not the talent...

By the way, I'm not hating on Duno in any way, shape or form, I'm just saying that Townsend is a better driver, and he should get that seat at Dreyer & Reinbold.

BenRoethig
28th May 2008, 21:47
The IndyCar website is still listing 31 drivers on there. I know Sarah and Tomas won't be at Milwaukee (although Tomas should), but does anyone know if Townsend Bell will? He drove an awesome race Sunday, and IMO should be driving in Milka Duno's ride for pete's sake. But we all know these days its about the money, not the talent...

By the way, I'm not hating on Duno in any way, shape or form, I'm just saying that Townsend is a better driver, and he should get that seat at Dreyer & Reinbold.

He should, but there isn't enough sponsorship to run him full time. Hugo's gas wants Milka.

ykiki
28th May 2008, 23:50

According to the entry list, Townsend will race in Milwaukee. Didn't see Milka listed.

NickFalzone
29th May 2008, 00:43
D&R seems to have stepped up their game since last season, with good results at Indy: Rice 8th, Townsend 9th, Milka 19th. With half of Penske DNF, half of AGR DNF, both NHL DNF, and half of Chip Ganassi out of the top 10, they compared well to the big teams.

Masked Terror
29th May 2008, 19:57
Forgive a newbie question, but I'm just getting into IRL (and racing in general).

How does qualifying factor in to a race where there are an equal or greater number of race slots than drivers/cars attempting to race?

usgrandprix
29th May 2008, 20:18
Forgive a newbie question, but I'm just getting into IRL (and racing in general).

How does qualifying factor in to a race where there are an equal or greater number of race slots than drivers/cars attempting to race?

Welcome.

In that case they are just setting the starting order. There will be no bumping.

Obviously you want to start up front.

There are a few reasons for this. You are more likely to avoid getting collected in an early wreck for one. Most importantly, at some tracks it is hard to pass, so you want to start up front. That is more the case at road/street courses, but at Indy and I imagine at Milwaukee it might be hard to get around people. This is not the case at high-banked, multi-grooved tracks like Texas. Sorry if all that was already obvious to you.

Also, getting a lap down makes your chances very tough, and the ones in the back are going to go a lap down early and you don't want to be caught up with them.

There are also statements to be made and games to be played in any practice and qualification session.

Also, and I'm not sure about this, but sometimes I think your stall in the pits is determined by your qual speed and some stalls are better than others for spending less time in the pits and knowing when you need to short pit to beat someone out. The stall might be set by championship points, though.

Masked Terror
29th May 2008, 20:51
That's a great explanation, thanks.

Some of that I knew and some hadn't occurred to me.

Much appreciated.