PDA

View Full Version : In very poor taste.

jarrambide
25th May 2008, 21:17
What is the problem with abc? Iīm talking about the TV ad for their TV show wipeout, showing open wheel cars saying that fans are really watching to see someone wipeout is in poor taste, this is not NASCAR, I can assure that 90%+ of the fans at the stands donīt want to see even a single crash, Open Wheel Racing is just not about that and IndyCar should really complain about this, it was in poor taste and an insult to drivers and crew members.

Cart750hp
25th May 2008, 22:12
What is the problem with abc? Iīm talking about the TV ad for their TV show wipeout, showing open wheel cars saying that fans are really watching to see someone wipeout is in poor taste, this is not NASCAR, I can assure that 90%+ of the fans at the stands donīt want to see even a single crash, Open Wheel Racing is just not about that and IndyCar should really complain about this, it was in poor taste and an insult to drivers and crew members.

Not surprised at all, Jose.

ABC is not a place for die hard racing fans even sport fans because the way they present their TV line-ups, their programs, and their own goal. MLB and NFL are very good on staying away from ABC just for one of these reasons. Tune in anytime of the day in ABC and none, I mean none of their shows is about sport. Look at their line-ups too, everyday. I'd rather see IndyCar in NBC or Fox or even CBS for that matter.

xtlm
25th May 2008, 22:17
Oh wipeout

yeah, it seems like they saw the japanese show (aired on g4 in the US called ninja warrior) and said "how can we make this retarded, and sell it to the public!"

Cart750hp
25th May 2008, 22:54
Oh wipeout

yeah, it seems like they saw the japanese show (aired on g4 in the US called ninja warrior) and said "how can we make this retarded, and sell it to the public!"

Exactly, my point.

In Japan, I think they used to call it "Takeshi Castle" but that was way back in the late 80's and early 90's. And that show is still being shown in Spike TV and in some cable networks in US. I guess, they are saying "people are done with the reality shows and now let's make something more stupid".

harvick#1
25th May 2008, 23:41
except, MXC on Spike is actually funny, this show looked like a very dumbed down version of the show

PSfan
26th May 2008, 01:16

You know, that didn't bother me (truth be told, I kinda think an unbelievably ugly accident that the driver walks away from would help the IRL out alot to keep peoples attention couldn't hurt right about now...)

But, that Nascar infomercial hosted by Rusty and his super white teeth (was it just me, or did he sound like he was wearing those whitening strips during the show?) That followed Indy was also a little insulting

Jag_Warrior
26th May 2008, 01:36

Assuming the ratings for the Indy 500 are in the 5.0 range, and comparing that to the average IRL Nielsen, about 80% of the viewers will only watch this IRL race. So they're basically "event fans". What draws them to this, as the only IRL race they'll watch, is anyone's guess.

NASCAR's biggest race, the Daytona 500, gets about 200% greater ratings than the average NASCAR race. The IRL's biggest race, the Indy 500, gets about 600% greater ratings than the average IRL race. So I'd say "event fans" are less of an issue in NASCAR. And I think it's equally unfair to say "this is not NASCAR", when trying to assess fan ethics or morals. How one would figure out why people watch or attend races in either series is something that I've never seen reliable data on. But just based on known data, I think it's unfair to claim some sort of fan ethics superiority for Indy or the IRL vs. NASCAR.

But there is data which shows NASCAR fans to be some of the most loyal in all of sports... another reason sponsors choose NASCAR over other racing series. Crashing means potentially seeing a NASCAR driver get hurt. Especially in light of Earnhardt's death, I think it would be a tough case to prove that NASCAR fans go (just) to see crashes more than fans of other series.