PDA

View Full Version : Ladies and Gentlemen Start Your Engines

garyshell
25th May 2008, 17:35
What else needs be said? Lets go racing!

Now that WE are all together, I have the same feelings return that I had watching the opening ceremonies some 13 years ago!

Gary

nigelred5
25th May 2008, 17:52
You scared my there. I was worried I was gonna have to hear the waltrip schtick.

huxleypiguk
25th May 2008, 18:47
Watching online. Nice to see it unfolding before my eyes. Hope Wheldon wins, make up for loosing Eurovision.....

Andrewmcm
25th May 2008, 20:03
Oof. That was nasty between TK and Sarah Fisher.

garyshell
25th May 2008, 20:13
No love betwixt TK and Marco, right now.

Gary

e2mtt
25th May 2008, 20:13
Yes, that was a nasty hit. I really didn't think that Marco was quite as out of line as the announcers say, he obviously had a lot of momentum coming up on them, and Dixon set a nice pick to take TK.

The announcers are really poor. I marvel at how unprepared they act. Whereas the announcers in the typical ballgame the announcers know infinitly more about the game then I do, and have the all the names right at their fingertips, today I feel like I know more about the race then they do, and I"m not even watching in HD.

jarrambide
25th May 2008, 20:18
Oof. That was nasty between TK and Sarah Fisher.
I usually donīt like melodramatic scenes in open wheel racing, but I just canīt stop myself from feeling sad for SF, you can tell she really is in it for the love of the sport, she wants to race, she wants to be there, doing everything she can but not sure if her team will be there for another race, hopefully she will find a sponsor.

e2mtt
25th May 2008, 20:24
The announcers seriously got the message: Promote "DANICA DANICA DANICA DANICA" "Make sure that everybody knows where she is at least every 4 laps" "Make sure everybody knows she can talk and drive at the same time"

Oh and when you're not talking about Danica, focus on the other popular/famous drives. Don't worry about the unknown guys passing & lap times or anything, if nutso fans care about the stuff, they can watch close, or read about it on the internet.

garyshell
25th May 2008, 20:24
I usually donīt like melodramatic scenes in open wheel racing, but I just canīt stop myself from feeling sad for SF, you can tell she really is in it for the love of the sport, she wants to race, she wants to be there, doing everything she can but not sure if her team will be there for another race, hopefully she will find a sponsor.

I would hope that Tony George and Andretti Green both have some "heart' and make an anonymous contribution to the SF racing fund. It would be a nice gesture, and good for the series to have SF at the next race.

Gary

jarrambide
25th May 2008, 20:49
Scary, real scary, a reminder yet again that crew members get very little of the glory but almost share the same danger.

So, if he took out the speed limit sensors, how can they be sure everyone is entering pits at the right speed?

Andrewmcm
25th May 2008, 20:54
Unlucky for Shekter. He was a dark horse for the race win.

e2mtt
25th May 2008, 20:55
Scary, real scary, a reminder yet again that crew members get very little of the glory but almost share the same danger.

So, if he took out the speed limit sensors, how can they be sure everyone is entering pits at the right speed?

maybe have somebody stand right there with a radar gun?

J/K

jarrambide
25th May 2008, 20:56
maybe have somebody stand right there with a radar gun?

J/K
A cop?, he could also give tickets, he could also check if drivers are using their belts, click it or ticket. :D

jarrambide
25th May 2008, 21:01
I hope the moderators donīt get mad at me (wink, wink) for using filthy language, but "expletive Meira" (you didnīt think I was actually going to use foul language), what a move, the kind of move that dependign on the outcome will either make you a hero or a dumb villain.

e2mtt
25th May 2008, 21:07
wow that was a pretty long strong run for Milka... kept it on the lead lap for 170 laps! (yeah, Indycars aren't very good at off-roading)

e2mtt
25th May 2008, 21:16
Man these restarts are nuts!

e2mtt
25th May 2008, 21:33
Nice win. Congrats to Dixon

garyshell
25th May 2008, 21:34
Hats off to Dixon. Truly one of the "good guys", nice to see him get the win.

Gary

jarrambide
25th May 2008, 21:38
Hats off to Dixon. Truly one of the "good guys", nice to see him get the win.

Gary
How much till some member opens another thread talking about Dixonīs chances to go to F1? ;)

Not a huge fan of Ganassi Racing, but I have always like the team, Iīm not going to lie, I own a Target-Ganassi cap, so nice to see Dixon win, buuuuuuuuuuuuuut, I was rooting for Kanaan, is he going to win one?

Vegasguy
25th May 2008, 22:05
Great job by Dixon... congratulations Ganassi.

My 9 year old daughter, who has never watched a race with me before, watched the last 50 laps with me....... guess why?

Yup, Danica. Heidi was on the laptop looking up pictures about her and watching at the same time. Made me proud though that after Danica was out the she didn't just get up and leave. She started rooting for Marco.

Why? Because of the Indiana Jones tie in, we saw the movie yesterday and she thought it was so cool that Marco was dressed like Indy.

RE: Sarah, I think it was too bad that she got tangled with TG, she was having a pretty good run after the mistake she made spinning. OOOOPS!

Mad_Hatter
25th May 2008, 22:07
That move by Vitor took some serious stones. Had traffic played out differently...

Hafta feel awful for Fisher.
Good save by Moraes.
Good pass by Wilson. Puzzled to hear him say he was "experimenting" before he crashed.
HUGE crowd.

Good Race. Not as much of a walk-away as many would've thought. Too much Danica, but I guess that's expected.

gm99
25th May 2008, 22:56
Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the race (apart from the start and the first five laps or so), so I can't really comment on it.
What I find quite interesting, though, is that for the sixth time in row, we have a first-time winner - Castroneves was the last repeat winner back in 2002 (and that race should probably have gone to someone else ;) )

So congrats anyway to Dixon and the TCGR crew (who incidentally have won their third Indy 500 with as many drivers).

CARTDM15
26th May 2008, 02:52
The announcers seriously got the message: Promote "DANICA DANICA DANICA DANICA" "Make sure that everybody knows where she is at least every 4 laps" "Make sure everybody knows she can talk and drive at the same time"

Oh and when you're not talking about Danica, focus on the other popular/famous drives. Don't worry about the unknown guys passing & lap times or anything, if nutso fans care about the stuff, they can watch close, or read about it on the internet.

Yeah it was awful.Just way over board.So many drivers were have great runs and getting no love.

harvick#1
26th May 2008, 04:05
Yeah it was awful.Just way over board.So many drivers were have great runs and getting no love.

exactly, Ed and Ryan were in front of Danica all day and no recognition and top 5.

it seemed they went way too overboard for danica, she could only run 7th at best, but the announcers tried making it like she was in the lead.

its was just about after every caution, a half lap into the run was a Danica update.

My "mute" button was far too overworked today to hear her nag and complain.

ABC even went to replay for the lead battle because they were too busy watchin Danica in 10th.

if this is how ABC will conduct its racing, then by, Milka had a great race before Lazier ran out of brains and forced her onto the grass, yet she was given no recognition. there were 32 other drivers out their today, luckly the right driver won today, but it would've been very interesting if Tomas didn't have the driveshaft failure. Scott would've had a tussle with Tomas in the closing laps.

Sarah what to say, you really have to feel for her, she made her own team, and was running her own race before being taken out by TK where she had nowhere to go.

Danica really needs to learn something from Sarah, this snotty attitude really has to end, she never proved anything on the track today, which she hardly ever does anyway and then throw a hissy fit because of a racing accident, (both were at fault but its the end of the race, Ryan isn't gonna give up a position in the pits)

all in all, it was a good 500, hoped everyone enjoyed the memorial day marathon of racing

jarrambide
26th May 2008, 05:48
Danica really needs to learn something from Sarah, this snotty attitude really has to end, she never proved anything on the track today, which she hardly ever does anyway and then throw a hissy fit because of a racing accident, (both were at fault but its the end of the race, Ryan isn't gonna give up a position in the pits)

Didnīt you hear? it wasnīt her fault, the car was very slow, donīt you remember that candid exchange with her crew?, she obviously forgot all her conversations are monitor to see which ones deserve to be broadcast when she told her engineer that he was doing his job for a longer time than her but that she was veeeeeery slow, that was obviously not for the TV audience ;) :D

harvick#1
26th May 2008, 05:58
I'm positive TK could have put that car up front

beachbum
26th May 2008, 13:54
Most definately not a racing accident. When you're in the line leaving the pits and another driver exits their pit box and drives into you, that's not a racing accident. It'a a bone headed move by that driver. I'm not a Danica fan, but she was totally blameless in this one.Stuff happens in racing. Everyone (including Danica!) makes mistakes. It is how you react to adversity that creates champions. Did Briscoe make a mistake? Hard to argue otherwise. Could Danica have missed him? Maybe, but it would have taken a fantastic move. I am sure the fact that he passed her in the pits came into play at some level for both of them. So they collided. Vent privately, lick your wounds, and move on.

What stood out to me yesterday was the mostly good sportsmanship and how people reacted to adversity. Scheckter was very gracious when he broke, Kanaan was obviously upset, but had the sense to say it would be discussed behind closed doors. Fisher was devastated, yet gamely tried to give an interview. Foyt climbed from his burning car and stood quietly while they fixed the damage. Milka climbed back in her car after being shoved off the track and finished the race. Marco had the grace to apologize on live TV. Rahal didn't rant at Lloyd for forcing him high, he was just matter of fact about what happened. At the F1 race in Monaco, Sutil got knocked out of 4th place after getting rammed by the world champion, and had the grace to say it was just a racing accident. All professionals acting like professionals.

Any racer getting knocked out by what could easily be called a bone-header maneuver is going to be upset. But a professional knows that is part of the sport and they better learn how to develop the toughness and thick hide to get over it. Throwing a "hissy fit" - again - is childish and unprofessional. It may make for entertaining TV, but has no place in a dangerous environment where drivers have to trust their lives to others and expect them to make level-headed judgments.

But I have to admit, watching the "bobble-head" trudge down pit lane while her team looked the other way was hilarious. I couldn't help but think - and what is she going to do if / when she gets there. I think Charles (the security man in the suit) didn't want to find out. What a drama queen.

jarrambide
26th May 2008, 15:32
beachbum, why is it that Danica is a Drama Queen and Paul Tracy was great for CART and then CC?, I really donīt like what Danica did, even tough Starter is right, it wasnīt her fault, but I always denounced male drivers with their hissy fits, I always was in the minority, now DP gets slammed for doing what many other drivers do every other race.

The way she talks about other drivers and the way she talks to her crew, that is another story.

jarrambide
26th May 2008, 15:32
beachbum, why is it that Danica is a Drama Queen and Paul Tracy was great for CART and then CC?, I really donīt like what Danica did, even tough Starter is right, it wasnīt her fault, but I always denounced male drivers with their hissy fits, I always was in the minority, now DP gets slammed for doing what many other drivers do every other race.

The way she talks about other drivers and the way she talks to her crew, that is another story.

harvick#1
26th May 2008, 16:02
Stuff happens in racing. Everyone (including Danica!) makes mistakes. It is how you react to adversity that creates champions. Did Briscoe make a mistake? Hard to argue otherwise. Could Danica have missed him? Maybe, but it would have taken a fantastic move. I am sure the fact that he passed her in the pits came into play at some level for both of them. So they collided. Vent privately, lick your wounds, and move on.

What stood out to me yesterday was the mostly good sportsmanship and how people reacted to adversity. Scheckter was very gracious when he broke, Kanaan was obviously upset, but had the sense to say it would be discussed behind closed doors. Fisher was devastated, yet gamely tried to give an interview. Foyt climbed from his burning car and stood quietly while they fixed the damage. Milka climbed back in her car after being shoved off the track and finished the race. Marco had the grace to apologize on live TV. Rahal didn't rant at Lloyd for forcing him high, he was just matter of fact about what happened. At the F1 race in Monaco, Sutil got knocked out of 4th place after getting rammed by the world champion, and had the grace to say it was just a racing accident. All professionals acting like professionals.

Any racer getting knocked out by what could easily be called a bone-header maneuver is going to be upset. But a professional knows that is part of the sport and they better learn how to develop the toughness and thick hide to get over it. Throwing a "hissy fit" - again - is childish and unprofessional. It may make for entertaining TV, but has no place in a dangerous environment where drivers have to trust their lives to others and expect them to make level-headed judgments.

But I have to admit, watching the "bobble-head" trudge down pit lane while her team looked the other way was hilarious. I couldn't help but think - and what is she going to do if / when she gets there. I think Charles (the security man in the suit) didn't want to find out. What a drama queen.

:up:

the sportsmanship was excellent, except for Danica.

and wasn't it great that the media would not give Ryan's side of the story, because aswe all know, it was 100% his fault, so what Danica said, was correct.

Ryan tried to beat her out of pit road. what else to say. why should he stop so Danica can pass him? there was 30 laps to go ad every position counts.

ABC really needs to stop this Danica madness. Scott wins the 500 and instead of showing the crew rejoice over the win, they got Danica walkin around. I really hope this finally gives ABC a black eye and takes much coverage off their queen. it was great that after she was out, the announcers actually followed the race instead of lolly gagging on where Danica was in the race.

anthonyvop
26th May 2008, 16:27
You slam other drivers for that behavior but you defend Danica?

jarrambide
26th May 2008, 16:36
You slam other drivers for that behavior but you defend Danica?

Donīt get me wrong, Iīm not defending her, my problem is the difference in reactions when a female driver and a male driver does it, my point is that if it is wrong for Danica to do it (which it is) it is also wrong for male drivers to do it, it is wrong to say that "boys will be boys", "he is passionate", "he brings the series attention when he does it", "I would be mad too" but then when a female driver does it is "the little princess and her hissy fits", "that arrogant Danica trying to get TV time".

What Iīm trying to say is that Iīm seeing a double standard from many, Danica either gets bashed for doing the same stuff as the male drivers and everything she does is wrong because she is a woman or everything she does is great for the series, she is the 3rd coming of JC (we all know NASCAR fans believe they had the 2nd coming), nothing she does is wrong because she is a woman.

gofastandwynn
26th May 2008, 17:37

Just do what I do if you have Tivo or a DVR. Put the radio broadcast on your computer, then sync up the tv and radio b roadcast together (usually a 30 second delay on the radio stream) Improves the show in a big way.

NickFalzone
26th May 2008, 18:30
The fact of the matter is that Briscoe went very wide on his exit into the wrong lane. This was clearly his mistake (and perhaps his team's). I agree that Danica is a big baby and acts like a spoiled brat. She's very emotional on the radio, which I can imagine is annoying to those on the other end, and probably does not help her out in the racecar. That said, there's a long history of male drivers that pull the same ****. Classic moments from AJ, or Scheckter throwing his gloves at Marco's car at TMS in 07, you've got Kyle Busch doing the same stuff every week in NASCAR. This is one part of the "entertainment" of racing, and I think it's silly to say Danica's attitude is in any way out of place in the sport. You don't like her, fine. But this is part of racing. And I'd rather have drivers showing their emotions than being bland corporate shills that watch their every word. If there's any problem here it's that ABC devotes too much coverage to one driver. I do not blame DP for this, but the lame network that is not confident enough in its product to leave the racing front and center.

Wilf
27th May 2008, 00:37
If there's any problem here it's that ABC devotes too much coverage to one driver. I do not blame DP for this, but the lame network that is not confident enough in its product to leave the racing front and center.

Congratulations, the network is so woried about revenue and ratings that they forget they are there to cover a race and simply provide us PEOPLE MAGAZINE. It would have made an intersting sidebar, not a feature story.

But then, three different radio networks ran sports reports today about Scott Dixon having won the Indianapolis 500 AND that Danica was denied an opportunity

beachbum
27th May 2008, 12:26

The way she talks about other drivers and the way she talks to her crew, that is another story.I have never been a fan of Tracy, primarily because of his behavior and his use of the "chrome horn". But he is a winner and champion, and like it or not, thy buys him some slack (not much).

All racers expect that every action has a consequence. Some are good, some are bad. When they behave badly on or off the track, they expect consequences. If anything, most racers are very tuned into the potential for bad results because of the danger of the sport. Tracy has had his share of negative penalties for his antics, including losing his ride at Penske. Some cite the regular confrontations in NASCAR as proof it is ok, but fail to recognize the fines and penalties that are regularly handed down. They miss the fact that a top NASCAR crew chief in the past few weeks lost his job because he argued with team management. But often in the heat of the moment, they feel they still must act, and then pay the price later. Few complain about the penalties, because they know they stepped over a line.

(rant on)

On the other hand, Danica! seems to live with a different standard. Arm chair experts applaud her tantrums, the screaming at her crew, and generally sour attitude. She is rewarded for behavior that others doing the same have paid penalties, sometimes very high penalties. She gets positive press from actions that many consider childish and inappropriate. The league appears to tolerate the actions as it is "good press". If any other driver wandered down a hot pit (closed or not) during a race, they would be facing sanctions. If Danica faces nothing but headline stories, what message does that send? She know no one dares present her with any negative consequence. Just look at how Weldon was pillared for effectively ignoring her. I think that is why many (including myself) almost wanted Charles to let her make it all the way to Briscoe, just to see if she would finally be treated like any other boorish prima donna and be unceremoniously chucked back over the pit wall. Of course if anyone touched her, their career could be over.

Some claim she is a role model. When a teen idol like Millie Cyrus get blasted for showing a bare back, how is Danica a role model for teenagers when she shows almost everything? What positive role is she promoting? She is just reinforcing a sex symbol stereotype other female racers have spent years trying to reverse.

For me, the biggest issue is consequences. She isn't doing anything that others haven't done before or will do again. But where others pay a price, she gets a prize. Unlike the other women racers, whom I respect greatly, she doesn't want to be judged as a racer first and a women second, she seems to want to be judged as a celebrity first, and maybe a sex symbol second. That doesn't work for me. If you are going to play in the same court as other athletes, then you need to play by the same rules.

(rant off)

Danica may be an excellent driver, although I don't rate her skills as high as some, but she needs to be treated the same as any other driver. She isn't that special.

coogmaster
28th May 2008, 00:47
Well said, well said indeed. (although I disagree with the excellent driver part, but thats just me.) But your prose is delightful here.

weeflyonthewall
28th May 2008, 19:34
:up:
it was great that after she was out, the announcers actually followed the race instead of lolly gagging on where Danica was in the race.

agree. She gets far too much attention from the broadcast booth. There were at least a dozen drivers deserving of 10% the coverage she got.

Mad_Hatter
28th May 2008, 19:42
Question: What would the reaction have been had EJ Viso pulled that move instead of Vitor?

More of the classy "he'll be in the wall"/ "I don't even know who he is"/ "we're the ones who know what we're doing" reaction?

beachbum
28th May 2008, 22:33
Question: What would the reaction have been had EJ Viso pulled that move instead of Vitor?

More of the classy "he'll be in the wall"/ "I don't even know who he is"/ "we're the ones who know what we're doing" reaction?But Viso didn't did he?

The three drivers involved know and obviously trust each other. Carpenter saw Vitor wasn't backing off, and he did. Very few drivers would have attempted that move if they didn't think they could trust the drivers around them.

CARTDM15
29th May 2008, 02:59
The difference is Paul Tracy is a proven winner.I give him a lot of lead way.Even though I'm not a fan of his, I do respect his skills.I don't think Tracy was that bad his first couple of years but I may be wrong?

If this would have been another driver other than Danica it would have not even been on camera.Becasue they would have been talking about her.