PDA

View Full Version : Bad attitudes towards Lewis on I.T.V.s Forumula 1 message boards

Flynn
25th May 2008, 16:13
I have noticed that on I.T.V.s F1 forums there are posters who seem to have a blind hatred towards Lewis Hamilton :confused:

I posted there briefly but couldn't put up with it anymore; that and they did something weird were they issued me with a temporary password which I then couldn't change to something that I would remember. I honestly can't see how anyone would dislike the guy. He has come from a background where he hasn't had much money, he lived on a normal street in a normal town, his step brother has leukemia, and his father has struggled to financially support his racing ambitions.

He hasn't been born in an affluent family like many drivers of Formula 1. And he puts in blinding performances and is always really genuine and enthusiastic towards people. It would seem that the people who don't like him come up with a reason that is completely untrue like saying he is "arrogant" but is one of the most genuine and enthusiastic drivers in F1.

It would appear they use any excuse and keep moving the goal posts. Some blame it on I.T.V.s fanatical coverage but those who use that as a reason to dislike him must have a very small brain if they cannot work out that he is not the boss of any media companies and therefore has no control over what they say.

There must be lots of people out there just like me who are totally miffed by this :confused:

ioan
25th May 2008, 16:18
Who cares?!

F1boat
25th May 2008, 16:23
Some people like him very much, some people dislike him intensely. It was like this with Michael Schumacher, Ayrton Senna, Nigel Mansell, it's the same with Alonso, even with Kimi, Massa...
I personally don't like Lewis, because I think that he is arrogant, but other people see him as cool. I think that our sympathies are most often irrational - a fan needs a guy to cheer for and a guy to boo.

aryan
25th May 2008, 16:26
Many people dislike him here as well, and they have their reasons.

Welcome to reality, where all celebrities have fans as well as foes.

m.lowe
25th May 2008, 16:34
Some people take it personally
I cannot see why anyone dislikes any driver, its the same in rallying

to me these are just idiots and not fans of the sport
In the case of Kimi today what he done was just stupid, but I would not insult him

Flynn
25th May 2008, 16:59
Who cares?!

Do you mean who cares what asinines who hate Lewis Hamilton think? I am trying to understand why and how they could hate such a genuine chap.

Some people like him very much, some people dislike him intensely. It was like this with Michael Schumacher, Ayrton Senna, Nigel Mansell, it's the same with Alonso, even with Kimi, Massa...
I personally don't like Lewis, because I think that he is arrogant, but other people see him as cool. I think that our sympathies are most often irrational - a fan needs a guy to cheer for and a guy to boo.

I applaud the fact that you have come forward to talk about your problem. However your reason has no basis like many others I have heard. Can I be presented with an example of this perceived "arrogance"? You will not get far in life if you always need someone to "boo".

Many people dislike him here as well, and they have their reasons.

Welcome to reality, where all celebrities have fans as well as foes.

They have their utterly invalid reasons reasons but that is all they have. Lewis is a racing driver, not a celebrity.

Some people take it personally
I cannot see why anyone dislikes any driver, its the same in rallying

to me these are just idiots and not fans of the sport
In the case of Kimi today what he done was just stupid, but I would not insult him

Yes, I agree, people just seem completely illogical, well, I guess that's what you get when you let the Big Brother generation watch motorsport :p

ioan
25th May 2008, 17:06
Do you mean who cares what asinines who hate Lewis Hamilton think? I am trying to understand why and how they could hate such a genuine chap.

Yeah, I mean why should you, or I or anybody around here what someone posts about Hamilton on the ITV forum!
If you let all the idiots upset you, than you will get health problems in not the very distant future.

PS: He isn't such a genuine chap either. He's a genuine liar however.

F1boat
25th May 2008, 17:10
Flynn, for example comparing himself to Senna, saying that he is as cool as Kimi, blaming Fred and McLaren for a second place in Monaco last year - to me that all seemed arrogant. I could be wrong.
But of course I want Kimi to win and Lewis to lose. That's the nature of sport fans, you know? Like I cheered for Man United on Wednesday and didn't want Chelsea to win?
If you don't have "villains" it's tough to have "heroes" and without heroes and villains, sport is dull.
It's about the passion!

m.lowe
25th May 2008, 17:28
Its good to have passion in the sport but to have people posting bad attitudes on message boards about drivers who we dont know or have anything to do with is wrong
I wonder what those that put about Lewis would have to say if we got personal about their mothers

F1boat
25th May 2008, 17:40
Its good to have passion in the sport but to have people posting bad attitudes on message boards about drivers who we dont know or have anything to do with is wrong

I agree completely!

Flynn
25th May 2008, 19:11
Yeah, I mean why should you, or I or anybody around here what someone posts about Hamilton on the ITV forum!
If you let all the idiots upset you, than you will get health problems in not the very distant future.

PS: He isn't such a genuine chap either. He's a genuine liar however.
That is odd, you call people who berate Lewis needlessly idiots, then you add your own snide comment :confused: How and why is he a liar? You seem to be an asinine yourself laddy.

Flynn, for example comparing himself to Senna, saying that he is as cool as Kimi, blaming Fred and McLaren for a second place in Monaco last year - to me that all seemed arrogant. I could be wrong.
But of course I want Kimi to win and Lewis to lose. That's the nature of sport fans, you know? Like I cheered for Man United on Wednesday and didn't want Chelsea to win?
If you don't have "villains" it's tough to have "heroes" and without heroes and villains, sport is dull.
It's about the passion!

Oh here we go again! Not at one point did I hear him compare himself to Senna. Although I did hear I.T.V. saying that he was "Sennaesque". And as I said before, HE DOES NOT CONTROL THE MEDIA!!! I watched the whole of the coverage and I don't recall him blaming Mclaren for a second place last year, and who, may I ask, is Fred? I didn't hear him blame a guy called Fred either :confused:

I wonder what those that put about Lewis would have to say if we got personal about their mothers

Cheers ;)

Daniel
25th May 2008, 19:16
I don't really like Lewis all that much. What are you going to do about it? :confused:

Robinho
25th May 2008, 19:32
i can understand people not liking Lewis, and fair enough, you can't like everyone. i do like him, although if he does something i dsilike i may change my views.

i can't understand hating anyone in sport, unless they've run over you cat or defactaed on you children or something equally nasty. you have to have people you don't support to go against your favourites, that way it makes it all the better when your guy/team wins.

as for arrogance - show me an F1 driver who is not super confident/arrogant, and i will show you a loser

Flynn
25th May 2008, 19:40
Robinho, there is a difference between arrogance and confidence. Lewis is certainly NOT arrogant.

I don't really like Lewis all that much. What are you going to do about it? :confused:

I am not against people not liking him, I am against people having a BLIND HATRED for him and giving stupid excuses as to why they don't like him. That really pisses me off.

Daniel
25th May 2008, 19:46
Robinho, there is a difference between arrogance and confidence. Lewis is certainly NOT arrogant.

I am not against people not liking him, I am against people having a BLIND HATRED for him and giving stupid excuses as to why they don't like him. That really pisses me off.
I would say that Lewis is arrogant. Just my opinion.

Tallgeese
25th May 2008, 19:56
Self-confidence should not be mistaken for arrogance. When you're at McLaren-Mercedes it's hard not to seem arrogant.

Flynn
25th May 2008, 19:59
Give me an example :mad:

m.lowe
25th May 2008, 20:05

Met the guy have you?
please explain arrogant then from your opinion

Daniel
25th May 2008, 20:08
Met the guy have you?
please explain arrogant then from your opinion
Do you know what? If I want to think the sky is red then I will. I don't need to justify it to the likes of you :)

m.lowe
25th May 2008, 20:11
So you cannot explain why you think hes arrogant
if you cant then dont post stupid comments when you have no reason for them

Willard67
25th May 2008, 20:21
Give me an example :mad:

Monaco 2007. Hamilton refers to some of the backmarkers and lower midfield group as 'The monkeys at the back'. :)

Garry Walker
25th May 2008, 20:26
I thought this was quite arrogant from goldie locks

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/formula_1/article3994913.ece

He proved he was the best by destroying everyone. And that's what I did in Japan.

Daniel
25th May 2008, 21:04
m.lowe. I don't need to justify my opinion to you :) But if I felt like doing it I'd use the examples others have used in this thread.

Dzeidzei
25th May 2008, 21:13
So some people have blind hatred towards Lewis and some people have blind love for him. Big deal. Is there any point or reason or motivation for this thread?

GridGirl
25th May 2008, 21:22
Don't get me wrong I think Hamilton is an amazing driver but I'm seriously bored with the hype. I don't care if he likes Senna, ate a cheese sandwich for lunch, if his favourite show tv show is Coronation Street and that he likes to holiday in Barbados etc.

To be honest the I think the media is making me dislike him more and more all the time and thats not necessarily through any fault of his own. I don't see the point of actively slagging him off in any forum though. Its not big, its not clever and quite frankly is achieves nothing but cause more argro between F1 fans.

What ever anyone say's, nobody can ignore the fact that he's a good driver. Your only as good as your last race as they say...

ioan
25th May 2008, 21:31
That is odd, you call people who berate Lewis needlessly idiots, then you add your own snide comment :confused: How and why is he a liar? You seem to be an asinine yourself laddy.

You might want to check your language, this isn't the ITV forum.

ioan
25th May 2008, 21:38
So you cannot explain why you think hes arrogant
if you cant then dont post stupid comments when you have no reason for them

I see that the thread starter managed to achieve what he/she wanted, create turmoil around here out of a non story.
Calm down people.

ioan
25th May 2008, 21:57
Is there any point or reason or motivation for this thread?

Stir up the forum!

Mikko
25th May 2008, 22:43

1. He's british.

2. He's a... how would I put it? He's a presantative of a wrong ethnic backgroung for my liking.

3. He always hauls his whole family to the race (Daaad, where are you? I'm dependent on you!)

4. He's a product of RD's "how to do good PR" -school

5. I hate his guts!

SGWilko
25th May 2008, 23:01
1. He's british.

2. He's a... how would I put it? He's a presantative of a wrong ethnic backgroung for my liking.

3. He always hauls his whole family to the race (Daaad, where are you? I'm dependent on you!)

5. I hate his guts!

Nice post :down: Number 2 for me tells me all I need to know about you.....

ioan
25th May 2008, 23:03
A few examples from today's press conference:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67749

I was able to get a good start and felt comfortable at the beginning. I knew that I had a good car underneath me and I knew that I would be able to challenge Felipe at some point. I could not really see anything, so I just stayed in second because there was so much spray, so you can't see if it is raining more or less. Through turn 12, Tabac, there was a sort of river coming through and as I was catching Felipe I hit this river and just oversteered and just slid across into the barrier.

Does it make sense to you?!
He stayed second because there was to much spray and he couldn't see anything. How would he know that e was closing on on Massa then?! Good question.

Another one:

LH: This has got to be the highlight of my career and I am sure it will continue to be the highlight for the rest of my life. I remember on the last few laps I was just thinking that Ayrton Senna won here a lot of times and to win here would be amazing.

He just can't stop associating himself with AS' image.

Some more?

I was easily in second and easily good enough to win the race from there and I touched the wall but fortunately the team reacted so quickly, as I told them when I was in turn 12 at the time. I told them straight off and they got everything ready and it was a very smart bunch of guys who reacted. Just incredible.

He was easily in second? Yeah sure, that's why he hit the wall.

This guy is so arrogant that he doesn't even know that the word humble exists.

There lots of other gems from Lewis in that conference, but I'll let you read it and laugh in peace!

ioan
25th May 2008, 23:07

I fully agree with you, such comments shouldn't be made here.

SGWilko
25th May 2008, 23:11
A few examples from today's press conference:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67749

Does it make sense to you?![/QUOTE=ioan]
He stayed second because there was to much spray and he couldn't see anything. How would he know that e was closing on on Massa then?! Good question.[/QUOTE=ioan] He actually said he could not see if it was raining or not, so he held back. I see that as he had no way to differentiate between rain and spray.

Another one:

He just can't stop associating himself with AS' image.[/QUOTE=ioan] Look at your sig - who do you idolise. Lewis is young, and looks up to AS - nothing wrong with that is there?

Some more?

He was easily in second? Yeah sure, that's why he hit the wall.

This guy is so arrogant that he doesn't even know that the word humble exists.

There lots of other gems from Lewis in that conference, but I'll let you read it and laugh in peace!
And Massa went off, so did Kimi - and the rest. Don't single Lewis out eh.....

Mikko
25th May 2008, 23:16

Well, that's understandable. ain't it?

After all, many of you seem to think Kimi is such a nice guy, when he's quite opposite, hating all the c-suckers around him!

I hope he retires as fast as he can and goes to WRC...

SGWilko
25th May 2008, 23:19
Well, that's understandable. ain't it?

After all, many of you seem to think Kimi is such a nice guy, when he's quite opposite, hating all the c-suckers around him!

I hope he retires as fast as he can and goes to WRC...

Cough sweet suckers, cake suckers? Don't know what you mean.

Sorry, but I just aint gonna rise to comments from Amoebae.......

ioan
25th May 2008, 23:28
And Massa went off, so did Kimi - and the rest. Don't single Lewis out eh.....

I'm not talking about his driving, he clearly is a very good driver.
I'm talking about his personality, his arrogance, his penchant to lie in order to make himself look good! ;)

markabilly
25th May 2008, 23:31
Well, As someone once said, as long as they are talking about you, it is far better when they no longer talk about you.

However, I have always found a certain attitude that he displays upon occaision as being a bit too much, such as the always comparing himself to AS, being smug and so forth: "Monaco 2007. Hamilton refers to some of the backmarkers and lower midfield group as 'The monkeys at the back'"...."He proved he was the best by destroying everyone. And that's what I did in Japan." and so on and so on.

And it would be one thing if he had started driving for one of those backmarkers like Kimi and almost all the rest did, and worked his way up. But he got the bset right off, and sometimes his attitude is like he was the one responsible, all by his self.

And the blunt truth, is that it is mostly car that makes the driver, not the driver that makes the car in the techno-aero-wing-wind tunnell- and no passing on the course.
He is probably just happy that his new teamie was not there at the end in front.......

Valve Bounce
25th May 2008, 23:40
I an see someone has been reading "How to make friends and influence people" :rolleyes:

Nice way to join this forum: START A FIGHT WITH JUST ABOUT EVERYONE!

wedge
25th May 2008, 23:44
Lewis idolised Senna, Schumi idolised Senna.

The day Lewis deserves disrespect is the day he purposely drives his opponent off the road to win a title.

ioan
25th May 2008, 23:52
Lewis idolised Senna, Schumi idolised Senna.

The day Lewis deserves disrespect is the day he purposely drives his opponent off the road to win a title.

Just wait and see! :D
His idol did it, he might want to copy that too, or make it even better! :p :

Valve Bounce
26th May 2008, 00:41
Just wait and see! :D
His idol did it, he might want to copy that too, or make it even better! :p :

The guy did well today. He hit the wall and had to come in for a wheel change, lot an extra full tank, drove very fast afterwards, and despite losing his immense lead due to the second SC period, he went on to win the race comfortable.

I say give the guy credit for a great race.

PSfan
26th May 2008, 01:04
I have noticed that on I.T.V.s F1 forums there are posters who seem to have a blind hatred towards Lewis Hamilton :confused:

Well, having access to both The ITV coverage thanks to TSN, and SpeedTV's coverage, I get to compare both, and thanks to the actual coverage I am not the least bit suprised by any hard feeling towards Hamilton if your only access to F1 is ITV.

Because Speedtv here covers 2nd practice along with qualifying and the race (plus has their debrief program) I ussually record their broadcast, I do check the ITV feed during break however, and it was just plain painfull to listen to aqlmost nothing but Hamilton talk. even more insulting is, they get Gascoyne to comment during the race, and they still mainly asked him about Hamilton!!! ITV's coverage concerning Hamilton is extremely excessive.

The guy did well today. He hit the wall and had to come in for a wheel change, lot an extra full tank, drove very fast afterwards, and despite losing his immense lead due to the second SC period, he went on to win the race comfortable.

I say give the guy credit for a great race.

I think without the first SC, Lewis would have been lucky for a podium. Losing his lead due to the 2nd SC was almost irrelevant at the time because there was essentially only one dry line, and with everyone on dry tires at the time, a pass would have been unlikely.

Jag_Warrior
26th May 2008, 01:50
It's about the passion!

I'm not aware that Hamilton's ever compared himself to Ayrton Senna. That was actually Senna's sister, Viviane. And saying that one is as "cool as Kimi"... uh, how is that arrogant? I've never heard anyone claim that Kimi is all that cool.

But I agree with the rest of your post. Without heroes and villans, it wouldn't be half as much fun. I liked Senna. A buddy of mine liked Prost. There was absolutely zero middle ground. It was Fred's behavior at McLaren that turned me from an Alonso fan to someone who doesn't care for him at all.

Hey, there were people who didn't like Mother Teresa either. Why worry about it? Just support the driver(s) you like?

Jag_Warrior
26th May 2008, 02:23
1. He's british.

5. I hate his guts!

So basically, you're a racist and a xenophobe. And you see, I think that's OK. At least you have the guts to admit what's in your heart. One shouldn't assume that everyone who dislikes Hamilton shares your disturbing character traits, but I'd say you're not alone.

Someone recently accused me of being a misogynist because I'm so hard on Danica Patrick. In fact, I am hard on her... for the fact that her career results are full of 0's, and in my opinion that does not justify the incredible amount of hype that she's received for finally winning her first professional race, at the ripe old age of 26... and now being spoken of as F1 or NASCAR material. :rolleyes: I think that's just crazy. And if I believe that this attention is based on nothing more than her having ovaries, then I'm going to say so. So I was insulted to be put in a category with those of your ilk. If Patrick had won multiple lower formula races and championships (as Hamilton has), along with half a dozen or so IRL races and had ever been in a legitimate hunt for an upper tier champonship, I would have to applaud her accomplishments... despite not caring for her personality. I guess I just resent having to defend my position because some people confuse it with that of lowbrow people, such as yourself. But I still applaud your honesty.

Sig Heil! :D

CNR
26th May 2008, 04:07
who knows how good he will be but spygate mad him look like a cheat last year.
so i will wait untill the end of the year to see if he is as good .

nigelred5
26th May 2008, 04:22
They have their utterly invalid reasons reasons but that is all they have. Lewis is a racing driver, not a celebrity.

I don't quite understand this comment.
How is he not a celebrity? From my point of view, he couldn't be more of a celebrity. He fits virtually every definition I know for the word. Internationally, it's hard to imagine how you would not consider him celebrity. He is famous. He is of widespread social prominence in many circles. He commands ungodly amounts of media attention. He is now unquestionably a person of enduring fame. He is a person who is sought after simply because of who he is. Is it normal for such a "normal chap" to pursue and date internationally known entertainers. Are you telling me he doesn't walk into a disco with a huge crowd of hangers on? Is he not mobbed just about every where he goes? To hobknob with multi-billionaire Businessmen. To have his every action and wish discusses and debated in newspapers, magazines internet and international broadcast media? Is it normal that I in the US had heard of him as a 12 year old karter in the UK and at that point already knew more about him than my weird neighbor of close 40 years?

He is the epitome of the definition of a celebrity because of his status in the racing community.

I can take him or leave him personally, but I fully acknowledge his accomplishments in racing so far in his carreer. Would they be the same in a Force India or a Toro Rosso. Doubtful but honestly, that's immaterial.

Ari
26th May 2008, 04:59
Did we really need ANOTHER Lewis thread?

Most people who are sh1tty with him are just that because he's walked into F1 in the best car and last year took the #1 spot away from a double WDC. If he did an F1 apprenticeship like everyone else out there I think opinions would be different.

pino
26th May 2008, 05:20
Did we really need ANOTHER Lewis thread?

No we don't !