PDA

View Full Version : Monaco Driver of the Day

yodasarmpit
25th May 2008, 14:59
Has to go to the very unlucky Sutil for me.

What a drive in the Force India, just a shame Kimi wrecked his chances.

wedge
25th May 2008, 14:59
:up:

And who said last year's result of being quickest in free practice was fluke?!

F1boat
25th May 2008, 15:00
I agree!

F1boat
25th May 2008, 15:01
I agree about Adrian, then I nominate Lewis and Kubica.

gm99
25th May 2008, 15:04
Absolutely - he and Kubica were the only ones who didn't make a single mistake throughout a very difficult race.

Donkey of the race goes to Räikkönen - he was off the pace throughout the week-end (except for the final few laps, when it didn't matter anymore) and managed to take out Sutil. He probably cost Force India a couple of million dollars in season-ending prize money that way...

aryan
25th May 2008, 15:07
I really feel for Sutil.

Yes, he deserves the DOTR title, with no reservations.

Kimi will owe him one.

ValentinoXX
25th May 2008, 15:09
Ferrari don't want to get beaten by a Force India car,

So they knocked him off the race

gloomyDAY
25th May 2008, 15:11
Ferrari don't want to get beaten by a Force India car,

So they knocked him off the raceShut up.

Anyway, DOTD goes to Sutil.
Vettel is definitely an honorable mention.

gloomyDAY
25th May 2008, 15:13
Sutil
Vettel
Hamilton

ValentinoXX
25th May 2008, 15:13
Shut up.

Anyway, DOTD goes to Sutil.
Vettel is definitely an honorable mention.

mlm

ioan
25th May 2008, 15:15
Sutil without a doubt. Followed by Vettel and Hamilton.

aryan
25th May 2008, 15:18
Everyone made mistakes other than Kubica and Sutil.

The difference is that the BMW is a fast car to begin with while the Force India...

That poor team... how many more opportunities will they have to score 5 points?

ioan
25th May 2008, 15:22
That poor team... how many more opportunities will they have to score 5 points?

Not many. Their fans will sure not love Raikkonen from now on, and man there are almost 1 billion Indians out there! :D

Dave B
25th May 2008, 15:24
Sutil, without a doubt. Along with Kubica about the only driver not to make a mistake. I really feel for him and the whole of Force India.

gloomyDAY
25th May 2008, 15:26
mlm :rolleyes:

I'm just glad that Sutil got a chance to strut his skills.
Many have written him off because of the incidents in the beginning part of the season. Unfortunately, Sutil most likely won't get another chance to gain points.

HenryM
25th May 2008, 15:27
Sutil, vettel and kubica.

Nikki Katz
25th May 2008, 15:27
I'd go for Sutil too, though I think it was a great race from Kubica and Hamilton, despite that incident at the start.

gloomyDAY
25th May 2008, 15:32
Nico would have been my choice, but he wrecked.

ioan
Ferrari should show Raikkonen the door and take Sutil on! :D :p :

And before you start jumping up and down on me remember how many around here wanted Massa replaced by Vettel after the first race of the season! :D

Viktory
Sutil, no question about it.

Viktory
25th May 2008, 15:34
Seems as if Massa and Kimi have switched roles here.

VkmSpouge
25th May 2008, 15:37
Definitely has to be Adrian Sutil, he drove flawlessly and was just in the wrong place at the wrong time when Kimi Raikkonen messed up.

gloomyDAY
25th May 2008, 15:40
Seems as if Massa and Kimi have switched roles here.Isn't it Ferrari's policy to favor one driver? I'd have a tough time trying to decide who is better.

veeten
25th May 2008, 15:47
Sutil was a grand example of when the driver and car are on the same page. A great piece of driving, up to the incident with Kimi.

The real test is if Force India and Sutil can duplicate that feat during the rest of this season, otherwise it'll be a one-time hit in a season of near-misses.

donKey jote
25th May 2008, 15:49
Sutil driver of the race, despite brake testing Kimi ;) :p : :erm:

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

F1boat
25th May 2008, 15:52
About Donkey of the race, I am VERY disappointed with Fred.

Gibbsy
25th May 2008, 15:56
I think you are all showing your euro bias here. Sutil was great and deserved dotd.

But no love 4 Webber at all...

-Numerous fastest laps
- No mistakes all day (better than Massa, Raikonnen, Hamilton etc in this regard)
-ran in the top 5 or 6 all day and just plain outdrove his usual competition of Fred and Heidfeld.
- 4th place in a red bull.

Thought he should atleast get a mention.

gloomyDAY
25th May 2008, 16:02
Good point. How did we forget about Webber?

Sutil
Hamilton
Webber
Vettel
Kubica

donKey jote
25th May 2008, 16:03
I think you are all showing your euro bias here. Sutil was great and deserved dotd.

-Numerous fastest laps
- No mistakes all day (better than Massa, Raikonnen, Hamilton etc in this regard)
-ran in the top 5 or 6 all day and just plain outdrove his usual competition of Fred and Heidfeld.

Webber simply performed according to expectations... that's the difference, not bias :)

aryan
25th May 2008, 16:04
Webber does deseve an honourable mention, but not DOTR. He was among all of those who at least made one mistake: he couldn't bring the grooves to temperature at a time when Fred was flying.

Sutil... did not put a foot wrong in such conditions.

He and Mike Gascoyne for putting his driver in such a position, were simply brilliant.

ioan
25th May 2008, 16:15

-Numerous fastest laps

Sutil and Vettel went from the last paces to finish 4th and 5th repectively.
Webber went from 7th to 4th after Raikkonen took himslef and Sutil out of contention.

I understand that people like their national hero, but we should keep at least a drop of objectiveness. ;)

Webber did a very good race, but not near to what Sutil and Vettel managed in inferior cars, that's all.

ioan
25th May 2008, 16:17
Good point. How did we forget about Webber?

Sutil
Hamilton
Webber
Vettel
Kubica

Vettel and Kubica did better than Webber.
Vettel came from last row to finish just behind Webber and Kubica managed to dice it with the front runners.
Webber did what he was expected to do, not worse but not better.

m.lowe
25th May 2008, 16:27
Driver of the day = Suttil
Ar$e of the day Raikkonen having another Blonde moment

gloomyDAY
25th May 2008, 16:37
Vettel and Kubica did better than Webber.
Vettel came from last row to finish just behind Webber and Kubica managed to dice it with the front runners.
Webber did what he was expected to do, not worse but not better.Sorry for my lapse in judgment. I just can't get this image out of my head.....

http://v8.spa-networks.co.uk/s_images/special/Webber-superhero.jpg

FIA
25th May 2008, 16:43
Sutil deserves to keep his seat, he is a great driver. Perhaps to replace Piquet at Renault, I was guttered for Sutil great race though.

Who got fastest lap of the race in the end?

VkmSpouge
25th May 2008, 16:47

You are totally right, Mark Webber drove very well today and earned those points.

dwboogityfan
25th May 2008, 17:03
For me Sutil just pips Lewis, Webber and Vettel to driver of the day. Mark has been the star of the season so far as I am concerned and is driving better than ever.
As for donkey of the race Kimi deserves a mention but has to be Glock. He spent as much time going backwards off the road than forwards today. Heidfeld was also shocking pretty much all weekend.

Willard67
25th May 2008, 17:11
Probably Sutil for showing such gumption and aptitude in those conditions -shame Kimi ruined his race for him =(.

Then Webber. Just gets on with it, and brings the car home. Top Bloke!

Bluenoseandproud
25th May 2008, 17:27
Sutil followed closely by Hamilton. Sutil drove brilliantly until Kimi *****d up his car with a stupid mistake. Hamilton lost because he made the mistake that gave him the win ;) He would have won by at least 45 seconds if Rosberg hadn't binned it. Mind you, then Sutil wouldn't have retired so...

SGWilko
25th May 2008, 17:38
Heidfeld was also shocking pretty much all weekend.

Well, he was out of sorts even in Q2, but I doubt Fred Flintstone driving his front wing into Nick's sidepod made his car any quicker. (Gald Nick drove over Freds front wing as he pulled away - almost a Mastercard moment (priceless).

Fred was like an inpetulent kiddy today, way too impatient. Someone should have a quick word in his 'shell like' that this aint wacky races.... He made Piquet Jnr look respectable today, and NPJnr was bordering on the hopeless.

Webber had an off course moment on the grooved tyres, so really, the only two drivers at the front who made nil mistakes were Robert and Adrian.
Poor Nico, through no apparent fault of his own, had his wing knackered not once but twice - he was clearly pushing very hard to make up. I think Frank enjoyed his driving up till then. ;)

ioan
25th May 2008, 17:41
Well, he was out of sorts even in Q2, but I doubt Fred Flintstone driving his front wing into Nick's sidepod made his car any quicker. (Gald Nick drove over Freds front wing as he pulled away - almost a Mastercard moment (priceless).

I was laughing at that too! :up:

CaptainRaiden
25th May 2008, 17:48
Not many. Their fans will sure not love Raikkonen from now on, and man there are almost 1 billion Indians out there! :D

I am sure they are smart enough to understand that Kimi didn't do it intentionally. It was a mistake. Stupid, yes, but then that's very rare from Kimi. Today was really sub par driving from Kimi, but don't pounce on him when he is down. Don't try to stir stuff up against him. :p

Sleeper
25th May 2008, 18:22
Sutil, no contest, he spent much of that middle part of the race trading fastest laps with Hamilton and Webber, I dont think we will ever see that from a Force India again any time soon.

Its Canada next and Montreal has a tendancy of throwing up surprise results (Sato's Super Aguri passing Alonso's McLaren for 6th anyone?) so maybe justice will be done.

Robinho
25th May 2008, 19:18
definatley Sutil, he was outstanding. a great example of the driver making the difference, such a shame for him to be taken out, although it was unfortunate for Kimi, to be fair he did an amzing job of saving the car several times on the way into the corner, if he'd been lucky and had no-one in fornt he would have possibly collected it and just skipped the chicane. almost a great save from Kimi.

Webber was also awesome all race, just forced onto dry tyres a couple of laps early.
Kubica drove great and made no mistakes.

Hamilton was sensationally fast in the middleand won the race well, but did hit the wall.

Massa was a pleasant surpirse, really quick, but also made a mistake and stayed out on the inter's too long

Brown, Jon Brow
25th May 2008, 19:33
Sutil

He always looked promising last year in comparison to Albers but seemed to have lost a bit of speed when Fissi arrived.

His performance today will only do him good confidence wise.

Garry Walker
25th May 2008, 20:34
Webber did a very good race, but not near to what Sutil and Vettel managed in inferior cars, that's all.

Funnily enough, Vettel was again beaten in qualy by Bourdais. AGAIN. We all know he is great in wet, but so far he has shown nothing when its dry and usually it is.

Ferrari should rush and sign that true superstar. :rotflmao:

gloomyDAY
25th May 2008, 21:07
Funnily enough, Vettel was again beaten in qualy by Bourdais. AGAIN. We all know he is great in wet, but so far he has shown nothing when its dry and usually it is.

Ferrari should rush and sign that true superstar. :rotflmao: Too bad Bourdais slammed into the back of Coulthard. We have yet to see who is the better Seb over the course of an entire race. Canada will probably be a great opportunity to see who is better this year, especially with a new car.

As of now:
Vettel 4
Bourdais 2 (5 if his engine didn't blow in Melbourne)

Dzeidzei
25th May 2008, 21:26
I understand that people like their national hero, but we should keep at least a drop of objectiveness. ;)

This is hilarious, ioan.

petrolhead ben
25th May 2008, 21:31
sutil is my driver of the day without a doubt. I thought he was superb today and drove brilliantly. I couldn't believe he was up there with the ferraris at the end. Shame about the incident with raikkonen it was just a bad error from the champion in my opinion.

But also kubica was once again excellent today. I was surprised that he was able to keep up the pressure on massa the whole race and end up beating him.
I know massa stayed out to long on his tyres but robert seemed to be slightly quicker throughout the race apart from when his tyres were graining in the middle stint. Webber was impressive again as was vettel, who seems to like wet and slippery races like in fuji and china last year.

But the best thing for me is the championship table. Hamilton, raikkonen , massa and kubica are all covered by 6 points. I don't know whether it will stay like this but it looks good at the moment.

donKey jote
25th May 2008, 21:44
He made Piquet Jnr look respectable today, and NPJnr was bordering on the hopeless.
Until the dries came on ;) :p

truefan72
25th May 2008, 22:06
Sutil and Vettel went from the last paces to finish 4th and 5th repectively.
Webber went from 7th to 4th after Raikkonen took himslef and Sutil out of contention.

yep :up:

1. Sutil - it's all been said
2. Vettel -as ioan said
3.Hamilton - he won the race and pulled away when it mattered
4.Kubica - probably the quickest out there and if LH hadn't gone in early would be the winner.
5. cough...barrichelo...cough - got points after starting 14
6. Nakajima - proves he belongs

donkey

Raikkonen
Heidfeld - for showing me nothing
Piquet -I want to give him time, and I think that the pressures and management style at renault aren't helping him either. Being #2 to Alonso isnt helping him either in both team focus(on Alonso) and expectations. Look at how much quicker (relative speaking) and relaxed Kovaleinen is now. there isn't much between he and LH in terms of times. We'll see about Piquet soon.
THAT BEING SAID...he's got to show me something.

ioan
25th May 2008, 22:06
Massa was a pleasant surpirse, really quick, but also made a mistake and stayed out on the inter's too long

He had no radio connection with the pits for the last part of the race, so it wasn't his decision.

He did however clearly outpace Kimi in Monaco, that might boost his confidence even further.

ioan
25th May 2008, 22:11
Too bad Bourdais slammed into the back of Coulthard.

It was the wall and DC, so DC or not DC he was out on his own doing.

This is hilarious, ioan.

Why is that? I certainly do not support anyone because of their or my nationality.

Knock-on
25th May 2008, 22:12
Obviously it was Sutil but I wouldn't worry about him getting punted off too much. He has raised his real estate to such a level that I expect him in a decent drive next year. Perhaps a BMW needs a replacement ;)

truefan72
25th May 2008, 22:12
Another thing.

what impressed me most about Sutil/Force India was that the car and driver were holding their own once conditions dried up. Sandwiched between the 2 Ferrari's the car & driver didn't look out of place and seemed to perform very well.

I think that Force India may be on their way up. It shows that with the right backing and effort ( ala Super Aguri prior to France 07) ateam can be fairly competitive. To be honest though, this was a 2008 breakout peformance for sutil who up till today didnt really show much in a car that is capable of running midpack.

truefan72
25th May 2008, 22:17
Sutil and Webber are my nominations for driver of the race, but to say what you did is again quite stupid.
Webber was awesome today.

Ferrari should rush and sign that true superstar. :rotflmao:

IMO Bourdais is much better than Vettel and probably should be in a better seat. I wished he had gone to McLaren when there was an opening. I'm sure a few teams (especially Renault) now regret not snapping him up, a driver who's quick, and excellent at setting the car up. Idealy, I'd love to see him at Renault next year if possible.

ShiftingGears
25th May 2008, 22:46
Webber and Sutil, definitely. Kubica and Hamilton were sublime.

Brilliant race!

Mikko
25th May 2008, 22:55
Kimi! :cool:

jens
25th May 2008, 23:02
Sutil by a country mile. He fought himself into the points and was driving fastest laps in the worst car on the grid. And he was flying both in the wet and drying conditions, so it can be just about setup. He is such kind of driver, who seems to excel in difficult conditions (Fuji last year) or on so-called drivers' circuits like Spa last year. I think he has been struggling to adapt to the non-TC car. Future races will show, what is he worth or whether he has gained some consistency.

The only driver, whose performance could get close to him, is Kubica. He was really constant, precise and simply impressive in those changing conditions in a car, which is inferior to Ferrari and McLaren.

Hamilton built an impressive lead during the second stint, but... a driver, who hits the wall at Monaco (luckily didn't damage suspension though), can't be nominated as the DOTD.

Webber, Vettel, Barrichello, Kovalainen did all fine too, but just weren't so clearly noticable during the race, but more likely were gradually climbing upwards due to avoiding trouble. Remember, Sutil was closing on Webber, passed him during stops and drove away from him. Sorry, but Mark's performance wasn't even close to Sutil this day.

Nikki Katz
26th May 2008, 02:01
According to Autosport, Sutil was reprimanded by the stewards after the race for overtaking under yellows - Barrichello, Nakajima and Piquet, all on the same lap. Ok yellows were out, but how is that even possible at Monaco? And if this happened on lap 13 then why didn't they think of punishing him at the time?
I take it that this was the bit where Alonso drove into Heidfeld and there was something of a jam.

PSfan
26th May 2008, 02:21
According to Autosport, Sutil was reprimanded by the stewards after the race for overtaking under yellows - Barrichello, Nakajima and Piquet, all on the same lap. Ok yellows were out, but how is that even possible at Monaco? And if this happened on lap 13 then why didn't they think of punishing him at the time?
I take it that this was the bit where Alonso drove into Heidfeld and there was something of a jam.

The incident in question happened when Alonso got into Heidfield, and almost the whole field came to a complete stop. Thanks to him being able to get around slow cars, Sutil managed to jump from 11th to 8th thanks to that corner.

Ari
26th May 2008, 04:52
1. Sutil
2. Vettel
3. Webber

I can't believe people are giving Hamilton DOTR. He hit a wall and killed a tyre. Doesn't deserve accolades for that. It ended up working to his favour but I don't see him as a genius for winning in the best car after colliding with the wall.

Sutil was very, very unlucky of course. I'd have loved to see Force India get those points. That said, I don't remember this kinda love coming for Webber last year at Fuji.

Webbers run last night was extremely underrated. Kept puting up fastest laps and was one of the few drivers who didnt't put a foot wrong. Has scored ALL of Red Bulls points this year. He would be a rocket in a better car.

cy bais
26th May 2008, 05:25
another one for Sutil :)

aryan
26th May 2008, 05:36
1That said, I don't remember this kinda love coming for Webber last year at Fuji.

I do. Most people were calling for Vettel's/Hamilton's heads for weeks after that incident.

pino
26th May 2008, 05:38
Sutil :up:

Cozzie
26th May 2008, 06:20
Sutil without a doubt! Just this weekend many here were saying that maybe Force India should replace him but that performance was a rare flash of brilliance, hopefully we will see more in the future. Who wants him replaced now?

Storm
26th May 2008, 08:03
Due to his clean and sensible driving in tricky conditions...Sutil

cozzie, But can he do it in the dry ? Fisi has been kicking him.

ArrowsFA1
26th May 2008, 08:40
Sutil gets my vote, simply because he was heading for fourth place on merit in a Force India.

Having said that I think we saw a very special race from Lewis Hamilton. Ok he made an error, but he recovered from it and dominated the race in very difficult conditions. It's the kind of win, like Senna at the 1985 Portugese GP and Schuacher in Spain 1996, that will be remembered for a long time.

Dzeidzei
26th May 2008, 09:26
Why is that? I certainly do not support anyone because of their or my nationality.

Didnt argue that. I referred to your comment about "at least a drop of objectiveness." That coming from you is hilarious as you are the truest of fans. (which is good, bytheway)

ioan
26th May 2008, 10:50
The incident in question happened when Alonso got into Heidfield, and almost the whole field came to a complete stop. Thanks to him being able to get around slow cars, Sutil managed to jump from 11th to 8th thanks to that corner.

So in fact he took advantage of a difficult situation, and it was rather difficult to avoid passing cars that were stoped because their way was blocked before they could react.
Stupid tactics by the FIA and they only reprimanded him to shut their mouth about Kimi ramming their car! :down:

ioan
26th May 2008, 10:57
Didnt argue that. I referred to your comment about "at least a drop of objectiveness." That coming from you is hilarious as you are the truest of fans. (which is good, bytheway)

I see.
Well, I try as hard as possible to be objective. However I reckon it's difficult and often impossible to achieve. ;)

Tallgeese
26th May 2008, 11:11
That's a tough one.

Sutil would have made it but he didn't finish, so I'd say that he's out, but he does deserve some recognition. On the other hand, I would say that Hamilton kept his cool throughout & really performed brilliantly throughout, whereas in some ways you have to be impressed by Kubica's performance too.

My vote goes to Hamilton.

ozrevhead
26th May 2008, 11:58
If anyone cant see how good Marks race was then they should be banned for having an opinion on F1!

The only reason kimi and sutil got infront was because it didnt dry quick enough for Mark when he pitted on drys - he was consistantly qucker.

Notwithstanding though how good Sutil was - i was hoping it would only cost him one place not DNF....that was heartbreaking

Bluenoseandproud
26th May 2008, 12:22
That's a tough one.

Sutil would have made it but he didn't finish, so I'd say that he's out, but he does deserve some recognition. On the other hand, I would say that Hamilton kept his cool throughout & really performed brilliantly throughout, whereas in some ways you have to be impressed by Kubica's performance too.

Ah, but you missed out the fact that it was not Sutil's fault, and Hamilton lost out on my vote because he made the mistake. Kubica and Webber are worthy of note, but on the other hand, they aren't saddled with a Force India are they :p

Zico
26th May 2008, 12:25
1. Sutil.. No question, A faultless drive near the front in a mid-pack car, all for nothing. I was gutted for him..

2. Kubica.. for his excellant fault free performance

3. Hamilton.. his clipping of the wall and puncture somehow played into his hands, so a tad lucky.. but his pace during the mid part of the race was what ultimately gave him his deserved win.

ioan
26th May 2008, 13:13
That's a tough one.

I think we should have had a poll so we can see how many people will elect Hamilton's crash prone race over Sutil's perfect race!

Whatever happened to the objectivity in this world.

SGWilko
26th May 2008, 13:54
Hamilton's crash prone race.

:rotflmao: Hamilton touches a barrier, and all of a sudden his race is crash prone. Sheesh ioan, why are you backing Massa then - he must be a crash magnet in comparison given his early F1 career history!!! :D

truefan72
26th May 2008, 14:14
I think we should have had a poll so we can see how many people will elect Hamilton's crash prone race over Sutil's perfect race!

just when I'm about to be pulled it, you drive me away LOL

he hit the barrier once, fixed his car and went on to dominate the race,at one point up by40 seconds. How is that crash prone.

on the other hand, a certain Ferrari driver had to change his nose 2 times

please ioan, you don't have to be objective, but you do have to deal with reality. ;)

Whyzars
26th May 2008, 14:20

If I was a wise ass I'd say that Sutil should've seen Raikonnen coming. ;)

Sutil was unlucky and if he'd've been able to avoid Raikonnen's tumble run then it would've been the drive of the year. Unfortunately he was collected by the red wobbly and that, as they say, is that.

In my opinion, the driver of the day was actually Kimi Raikonnen. He alone influenced the race result of at least three other drivers and he should buy Sutil a house or something equally big and expensive for causing such manifest grief.

I've actually replayed that final shunt over and over and see it as a masterful "save" on Raikonnen's part but can't get over how the physics got him so totally out of shape. Brilliant stuff.

Sutil was an absolute bummer and another Monaco fairytale squished. Webber put in a solid drive as usual, Bourdais was another driver that looked good in the wet as did many others. Alonso showed true brilliance and he looks hungry for a win. A stronger team mate could help him no end.

I love the Monte Carlo Grand Prix. If you give an F1 car something to hit the racing becomes full of anticipation which is sadly lacking from most circuits. Monaco is rarely boring and the cream always rises to the top.

In my opinion the drive of the day, and congratulations, must go to Lewis Hamilton.

Great race.

ioan
26th May 2008, 15:55
That's exactly what I expected, Hamilton fanboyism at it's highest! :D

Cheers fanboys! :p

markabilly
26th May 2008, 16:02
Sutil
then Webber and then Hamilton

I would vote Kube in there, but felt had he done a bit more, he might have won. If he had won, then no question as to who would be the racer of the race....

jens
26th May 2008, 19:07
Well, there seem to be different opinions whether Hamilton's win was deserved or not.

I would take such view angle: Yes, he made a mistake, but it was a small mistake and wasn't serious enough for damaging the suspension. I would draw a parallel with a 'typical circuit' - someone goes off into the gravel, but manages to get back to the track and wins. Undeserved win? Mistake, yes, but the mistake wasn't serious enough for a retirement. That's racing.

Ari
27th May 2008, 01:50

I'm with you on this one ioan!

Utterly baffled.

Ari
27th May 2008, 02:07
Well, there seem to be different opinions whether Hamilton's win was deserved or not.

I would take such view angle: Yes, he made a mistake, but it was a small mistake and wasn't serious enough for damaging the suspension. I would draw a parallel with a 'typical circuit' - someone goes off into the gravel, but manages to get back to the track and wins. Undeserved win? Mistake, yes, but the mistake wasn't serious enough for a retirement. That's racing.

The McLaren is built like a tank. If he made that same mistake in another car would it be 'considered' small?

pino
27th May 2008, 05:30
poll added and my vote goes to Sutil :up:

27th May 2008, 11:20
I'm not sure that there can be a 'Driver of the Day' other than the winner, but here's my 20 lira's worth......

Hamilton, ok, made a small mistake and was lucky in that he was near the pit entry when he made it. But luck is all part of racing. He got fortunate with his strategy being perfect for the conditions, yes, but he did make his strategy work.

Sutil drove very well, although my understanding was that if you pass cars under a Yellow Flag you get a penalty....remember Liuzzi doing that in Fuji to give Sutil a point last year.

For me, the driver who made no mistakes, beat everybody on a non-forced strategy and had it under control was Kubica.

But, like I said, the only real 'Driver of the Day' is the winner.

I am evil Homer
27th May 2008, 11:36
I'm with you on this one ioan!

Utterly baffled.

How Sutil can be driver of the race is baffling me...illegal overtaking and he didn't finish. A sympathy vote maybe but driver of the day? No way.

pino
27th May 2008, 11:42
How Sutil can be driver of the race is baffling me...illegal overtaking and he didn't finish. A sympathy vote maybe but driver of the day? No way.

How about he was 4th overall on a Force India...with 3 laps left ? ;)

SGWilko
27th May 2008, 11:50
I'm not sure that there can be a 'Driver of the Day' other than the winner, but here's my 20 lira's worth......

Hamilton, ok, made a small mistake and was lucky in that he was near the pit entry when he made it. But luck is all part of racing. He got fortunate with his strategy being perfect for the conditions, yes, but he did make his strategy work.

Sutil drove very well, although my understanding was that if you pass cars under a Yellow Flag you get a penalty....remember Liuzzi doing that in Fuji to give Sutil a point last year.

For me, the driver who made no mistakes, beat everybody on a non-forced strategy and had it under control was Kubica.

But, like I said, the only real 'Driver of the Day' is the winner.

:up: I think Kubica's contribution to the race is overlooked a little - where did he start and where did he finish!

As for Sutil and the yellows, I always think that Monaco is a tough one to call. Is Sutil expected to wait behind the other cars in the roadblock. Technically, if the car he is passing under yellows is stationary, he should be ok.

Question remains IF Sutil HAD finished, would the stewards have clobbered him for the yellow flag issue? :)

SGWilko
27th May 2008, 11:51

Pretty much entirely on merit too!

ShiftingGears
27th May 2008, 12:14
:up: I think Kubica's contribution to the race is overlooked a little - where did he start and where did he finish!
:)

Indeed. Faultless and looked like winning it at one point, and was pulling away from Massa. Unfortunately for him, Hamilton seemed to come out of nowhere.

Maybe another wet sunday this year... ;)

ioan
27th May 2008, 17:04

And he did not finish because of someone else foolishly ran into him.

SGWilko
27th May 2008, 18:41
And he did not finish because of someone else foolishly ran into him.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I think Kimi is being given a hard time here.

He HAD to push at the final restart - the guy is racing for a world championship FCOL. OK, he made a mistake, and poor Adrian was in the wrong place at the wrong time (is the yellow flag issue a factor here?).

But - and it's a big but - Kimi did save his 'moment' where the likes of DC before him lost it big time and headed straight for the scene of the accident, so lay off him a little (in fact, watch the accident in real time - Kimi's reactions to the tank slapper were almost super human - and I'm no Kimi/Ferrari fan, believe me, so that's a big compliment from the Stuart G Wilkinson camp I can tell you!!!).

All the main players (bar Robert of course) made mistakes - McLaren with Heikki, Ferrari with Kimi, Kimi and Massa at turn 1, Lewis at Tabac, Fernando at the top'o'the hill etc......

Kimi has had punishment enough for comeing away from Monaco with 'nil points' (as they say in eurovision).

So yes, Kimi was trying very hard on cold grooved tyres, but no one should be lambasted for trying as hard as they can, should they? :)

CaptainRaiden
27th May 2008, 19:56
You know, the more I think about it, the more I think Kimi is being given a hard time here.

He HAD to push at the final restart - the guy is racing for a world championship FCOL. OK, he made a mistake, and poor Adrian was in the wrong place at the wrong time (is the yellow flag issue a factor here?).

But - and it's a big but - Kimi did save his 'moment' where the likes of DC before him lost it big time and headed straight for the scene of the accident, so lay off him a little (in fact, watch the accident in real time - Kimi's reactions to the tank slapper were almost super human - and I'm no Kimi/Ferrari fan, believe me, so that's a big compliment from the Stuart G Wilkinson camp I can tell you!!!).

All the main players (bar Robert of course) made mistakes - McLaren with Heikki, Ferrari with Kimi, Kimi and Massa at turn 1, Lewis at Tabac, Fernando at the top'o'the hill etc......

Kimi has had punishment enough for comeing away from Monaco with 'nil points' (as they say in eurovision).

So yes, Kimi was trying very hard on cold grooved tyres, but no one should be lambasted for trying as hard as they can, should they? :)

I possibly couldn't agree more with that.

And also, I'm saying this not because I am a Kimi fan, but he is been given unnecessary hard time, all because people couldn't see a possible underdog glory. Get over it! I am sure Sutil got over it faster than some of the posters here. :p

jens
27th May 2008, 20:16

I don't quite agree with this sentence. Why did he have to push according to you? He had 4 points in the bag and passing at Monaco is very difficult. By the way, at the exit of the tunnel he was nowhere close to Sutil to even attempt an overtaking move, so he should have just relaxed and taken that corner easily.

SGWilko
27th May 2008, 20:52
I don't quite agree with this sentence. Why did he have to push according to you? He had 4 points in the bag and passing at Monaco is very difficult. By the way, at the exit of the tunnel he was nowhere close to Sutil to even attempt an overtaking move, so he should have just relaxed and taken that corner easily.

Well, IMOHAII, perhaps Kimi thought the Ferrari ought to be a wee bit quicker than the Force India, and knowing that last years WDC was won by one point......

Show me a racing driver that is not going to give it all in such a situation, and I'll show you a has been. ;)

Melqui
28th May 2008, 06:27
Kubica, I like this driver a lot, cant wait to see him in Mclaren or Ferrari

Knock-on
28th May 2008, 09:16
Well, IMOHAII, perhaps Kimi thought the Ferrari ought to be a wee bit quicker than the Force India, and knowing that last years WDC was won by one point......

Show me a racing driver that is not going to give it all in such a situation, and I'll show you a has been. ;)

Spot on.

The points system removes the desperation to get on the podium as it is. Hell, you only get 2 extra points for winning than second so why the hell risk 8 points.

The biggest offence is not finishing. It doesn't matter if you drive cr4p and cruise around as long as you get points.

Hats off to Kimi for pushing like a real F1 driver.

leopard
28th May 2008, 09:25
Spot on.

Hats off to Kimi for pushing like a real F1 driver.

:rotflmao:

jens
28th May 2008, 10:18
Funny. At first Kimi was crucified for running into the back of Sutil and... now he is starting to be praised. :dozey: David "The Wallmaster" Coulthard is the hero of the Monaco GP then - look how hard he tried, wasn't his fault that armco-barriers were so close to the track. :p :

SGWilko
28th May 2008, 10:30
Funny. At first Kimi was crucified for running into the back of Sutil and... now he is starting to be praised. :dozey: David "The Wallmaster" Coulthard is the hero of the Monaco GP then - look how hard he tried, wasn't his fault that armco-barriers were so close to the track. :p :

No one here is praising Kimi for being an oik and punting Sutil up the jacksie, more recognising his ability to avoid the barriers, while pushing hard to make up places.

ioan
28th May 2008, 10:52

:rotflmao: :up:

ioan
28th May 2008, 10:52
No one here is praising Kimi for being an oik and punting Sutil up the jacksie, more recognising his ability to avoid the barriers, while pushing hard to make up places.

You mean he actually didn't hit the wall in the first turn?! :eek:
Must have watched another race! :p :

aryan
28th May 2008, 11:29
The kind of twisting of the faces which goes on here in this forum can only rival the political spin our politicians put on various bills/proposals in the House.

Utterly hilarious.

SGWilko
28th May 2008, 11:37

OK, yes he did, not in the first turn (which to me, means the first corner on the first lap) but at turn one....

I was, you clearly didn't realise, referring specifically to the Sutil incident, as given away by the fact I mentioned Sutil in the paragraph concerning which incident I was referring to!!! ;)

SGWilko
28th May 2008, 11:39

OK, yes he did, not in the first turn (which to me, means the first corner on the first lap) but at turn one....

I was, you clearly didn't realise, referring specifically to the Sutil incident, as given away by the fact I mentioned Sutil in the paragraph concerning which incident I was referring to!!! ;)

ioan
28th May 2008, 12:30
The kind of twisting of the faces which goes on here in this forum can only rival the political spin our politicians put on various bills/proposals in the House.

Utterly hilarious.

Completely agree.

SGWilko
28th May 2008, 12:34
Completely agree.

Surely, my learned friend means 'Hear hear'!!! :laugh:

MAX_THRUST
28th May 2008, 14:36
One word to describe each driver from me then.....

I have waited before I posted this.......I needed time to think about it.

Hamilton - fortunate
Heiki - unlucky
Masa - Slow
Kimi - Twat
Nick H - Alonso
Robert K - Strong
Alonso - Muppet
Rubens - Good
Jensen - Who...
DC - careless (is that two words)?
Webber - Strong
Vettel - Ok
Bourdais - Blind
Trulli - ?
Piquet - ?
Glock - ?
Sutil - mugged!!!!
Fisi - ?
Rosberg - aarrgghhh, close.
Nakajima - Chicane

? Were they racing, didn't really notice them after the start.

Max Mosely, did anyone see him, very low profile this weekend.

Weather GREAT
Track GREAT
Action GREAT

aryan
28th May 2008, 23:40
Surely, my learned friend means 'Hear hear'!!! :laugh:

:p :

stevie_gerrard
4th June 2008, 11:31
Without a doubt, Sutil was immense in this crazy GP, fair play to the lad whos taken a lot of stick lately :up: