PDA

View Full Version : Fire George Lucas

ShiftingGears
24th May 2008, 08:36
Every single movie series that he has revived in the last 10 years has been ordinary, and disappointing.

Agree?

Hawkmoon
24th May 2008, 10:39
I just got back from seeing Indiana Jones 4 and I agree, to a point.

The movie was no Raiders of the Lost Ark but was an enjoyable addition to the series. What struck me the most was the CG effects. They detratcted from the movie, rather than added to it.

Indiana Jones movies don't need CG effects. The whole charm of the originals was the live action set pieces. Lucas and Spielberg went for the big CG effects set pieces and they fall flat, relegating Indy 4 to the "just another movie" category. They should have stuck with stuff they could do in real life and left the computers at home.

This is Lucas' biggest failing. He's too enomoured of computer-driven movies and his movies are suffering as a result. The Star Wars prequels being the most painful example of this.

Take away most of Lucas' toys and make him get back to making movies without a blue screen.

ShiftingGears
24th May 2008, 10:59
I just got back from seeing Indiana Jones 4 and I agree, to a point.

The movie was no Raiders of the Lost Ark but was an enjoyable addition to the series. What struck me the most was the CG effects. They detratcted from the movie, rather than added to it.

Indiana Jones movies don't need CG effects. The whole charm of the originals was the live action set pieces. Lucas and Spielberg went for the big CG effects set pieces and they fall flat, relegating Indy 4 to the "just another movie" category. They should have stuck with stuff they could do in real life and left the computers at home.

This is Lucas' biggest failing. He's too enomoured of computer-driven movies and his movies are suffering as a result. The Star Wars prequels being the most painful example of this.

Take away most of Lucas' toys and make him get back to making movies without a blue screen.

All good points. The monkeys and gophers made me wince.

And yes, the thread title is quite extreme :p :

Azumanga Davo
24th May 2008, 13:02
I reckon the thread title will be more appropriate when he and Steven team up for Schindler's List 2... :eek:

Dave B
24th May 2008, 16:22
The trailers have already put me off, if the CGI is as bad and as prevelant as it appears :s

A.F.F.
24th May 2008, 17:01

I couldn't agree more. Georgie boy is missing something relevent in movie making. Having access to CGI doesn't mean you have to fill every frigging frame with them, like in Star Wars 1-3. All heil to live action shooting and great locations for a movie set.

Bezza
24th May 2008, 17:45
Any film that has to rely on CGI to be any good is a crap film in my opinion. To see good special effects you just buy a video game. A film is about acting and talent!

And also - why does he cast Harrison Ford in all of his films??

A.F.F.
24th May 2008, 19:11
Any film that has to rely on CGI to be any good is a crap film in my opinion.

Bold words. There are many movies which rely on CGI the way viewers won't even know about it.

Hazell B
24th May 2008, 20:45
And also - why does he cast Harrison Ford in all of his films??

He's cheap and they already know what size clothes he wears ;)

After all these years, and three superb bits of action movie to follow, the whole team where onto a loser with Indy 4. No matter what they did, half the world who grew up with the originals would hate it. The new audience will probably love it. Either way, it will make money - the only reason Lucas seems to work these days :(

My partner asked when we're going to find time to see it. I said when it's out on DVD. That about sums up our interest, even after all this waiting. We feel a bit robbed, and that's before we've spent a penny on the film.

A.F.F.
24th May 2008, 21:06
My opinion is that Indy series would have been brilliant if it stopped right after Raiders of the Lost Ark.

F1boat
28th May 2008, 06:22
Well, I love all Indy and Star Wars movies and I prefer the newer ones.