PDA

View Full Version : Davey Evans -

Jason555
22nd May 2008, 21:45
Does anyone know if ANY charges have been filed against the man who killed NHL mechanic Davey Evans.... I've searched (googled) and can't find a single article......

Thanks

Scheckterfan54
4th June 2008, 01:05
In the Indy Star 6/3/08...

Prosecutors have charged an Indianapolis man with murder in the death of an IndyCar Series crew member who suffered a stroke after a bar fight.

David “Davey” Evans, 63, died May 4 after the incident at Kazablanca, a bar and restaurant in the 5800 block of Rockville Road. Witnesses told police Evans had argued with James P. Brackin inside, and Brackin then followed him outside and kicked him in the head, sending him to the floor of a deck, according to a probable cause affidavit.

A forensic pathologist determined the cause of death was a brain hemorrhage brought on by physical exertion, and the manner was homicide.

Marion County prosecutors filed a murder charge Friday against Brackin, now 30, and announced the case today. To win a conviction, prosecutors must show a defendant intended to kill or should have known his actions would cause death.

Matthew Symons, the prosecutor’s spokesman, declined to comment. He cited an earlier request by Brackin’s attorney, Eugene Hollander, for a gag order, which a Marion Superior Court judge denied.

Hollander also declined to comment.

Evans, who lived in Chicago, built a four-decade career as a racing mechanic. Last month, he was working with Newman Haas Lanigan Racing in the lead-up to the Indianapolis 500.

The affidavit says Brackin, who lives on the Far Westside, argued with Evans over Brackin’s girlfriend before the incident.

Brackin told police he didn’t touch Evans but later added, “If I did something to him I didn't mean to do it,” the affidavit says.