PDA

View Full Version : Appallingly bad GP2 coverage

gm99
22nd May 2008, 00:17
I have always followed the GP2 series, and pior to that, the International F3000 championship with avid interest, and with Monaco coming up, I am just disgusted that it is currently only available on pay-TV ("Premiere") in my home country of Austria and elsewhere in the German-speaking world. Prior to this season, it was available on Eurosport and for a short while also on German RTL, but now I have no chance whatsoever of following the races, especially as GP2 is about the only relevant racing series which does not even offer live timing on its website (F1, IndyCar, NASCAR, DTM, WTCC, Atlantics all offer free live timing in some form). I simply cannot understand why a feeder series is doing its darnest best to remain virtually invisible to a large number of racing fans. Certainly limited coverage won't exactly help sponsors get involved in the series, nor will it enable fans to pick out future talents (my opinion on drivers like Montoya, Heidfeld, Bourdais, Hamilton, Kovalainen or Piquet Jr. has been very much shaped by their F3000/GP2 performance, where they competed in very similiar equipment to that of their opponents).

ChrisS
22nd May 2008, 04:40
you can try ITV's website for live streaming video but it will probably only work in the UK

Shirk
23rd May 2008, 02:29
you can try ITV's website for live streaming video but it will probably only work in the UKIt does work only for users in the UK – unless you're lucky enough to find an anonymous UK proxy, but those are very hard to come by and quite unreliable anyway. No worries about Friday's feature race, though, as ITV doesn't televise it until Saturday...

Anyone know another channel somewhere that carries GP2 live? Yes, it's shame: We now get Formula 1's free practice sessions live on several channels plus half-a-dozen same day repeats, but no GP2 Series races at all.

Tallgeese
23rd May 2008, 15:27
I have always followed the GP2 series, and pior to that, the International F3000 championship with avid interest, and with Monaco coming up, I am just disgusted that it is currently only available on pay-TV ("Premiere") in my home country of Austria and elsewhere in the German-speaking world. Prior to this season, it was available on Eurosport and for a short while also on German RTL, but now I have no chance whatsoever of following the races, especially as GP2 is about the only relevant racing series which does not even offer live timing on its website (F1, IndyCar, NASCAR, DTM, WTCC, Atlantics all offer free live timing in some form). I simply cannot understand why a feeder series is doing its darnest best to remain virtually invisible to a large number of racing fans. Certainly limited coverage won't exactly help sponsors get involved in the series, nor will it enable fans to pick out future talents (my opinion on drivers like Montoya, Heidfeld, Bourdais, Hamilton, Kovalainen or Piquet Jr. has been very much shaped by their F3000/GP2 performance, where they competed in very similiar equipment to that of their opponents).

One must remember (& I don't know much about Motorsports outside FIA's F1, GP2 & F3) that the latter two are 'feeder' series & while prestigious & important in their own right mean nothing unless a driver wins in F1, & goes better & wins the Grand Prix title itself but then again, GP2 or F3 are intended for managers & F1 directors to watch to weed out talent.

As I understand it, IRL is a parallel league to F1, but some have used it as a stepping stone to get into F1, even though F3000/GP2 (or the previous Formula 2) or even F3 is probably better preparation to get into F1. As such one must recognise the limitations of GP2 & F3 as these really are junior leagues or 'feeder' sports so winning them isn't as important as showing what you're made of. It must be remembered that some super-champions (Schumacher) or even present ones Räikkönen didn't get go through the normal F3/F3000 or GP2 to get into F1 & yet won championships. Heidfeld & Montoya proved much less successful.

25th May 2008, 08:42
it is better to fight for good than to fail at the ill.-------------------------Our wow power leveling (http://www.wow-powerleveling.org) website offer Fast and Secure wow powerleveling service. WoW Power Leveling (http://www.xowow.com) 60-70, Cheap wow power leveling (http://www.powerlevelingweb.com) 1-70. The Professional WoW Power Leveling (http://www.wowgoldweb.com)! Powerlevel WoW Power Leveling (http://www.igsstar.com) now. WOrld of warcraft Power Leveling bloom of true love associated with this time of year!

Hayley
26th May 2008, 15:27
GP2 now has live coverage on the GP2 Series websie. It should be up and running ok. I spoke to the Alexa the head of media comms for GP2 in Monaco and she said it should now be running ok.

So you should be able to watch live times etc on the website.

German and Austrian TV rights for GP2 are split between several channels so live coverage is split. I suggest you check your TV guide before each race to see who will be cpvering which race.

Hope that helps a bit.

Mekola
30th May 2008, 23:21
Hayley, you're right, on last Montecarlo weekend it was a GP2 live race textfeed, but it was just up on comments. What we need is, at least, a GP2 live timing window during race weekends.
Formula Nippon does this since around 2000 and they made it with success in Japan, can't see why GP2 is not able to do the same.

5th June 2008, 05:38
GP2 is a very much excited series of all, and dont worry it will be telecasted in as much as availbale medias, so it'll always be available to all rally fans, so lets enjoy the series

MikeD
30th June 2008, 17:05

You can watch the GP2 races using the web-site MyP2P.eu. It's legal. You log in and find the software you need to install for seing it. It's most likely to be TVAnts, TVU or just a normal mediaplayer .... and then you can see GP2.

If you install TVU and TVAnts then you are covered with most of the motorsport you need to watch. I watch F1, MotoGP and GP2 via that site and it's quite good I have to admit.

Copse
14th July 2008, 13:17
The reason for GP2 disappearing from the screens of most of us is that they consider themseleves to be a sellable product now. When the series started, the wanted to be available to build a base, but when it turned out channels in the UK were willing to pay for the rights, they jumped on that, stopped selling non-country-specific broadcast rights (i.e. Eurosport), and now tries to get a bag of money from each country.

End result: People can't see the series at all, less exposure for sponsors, step one on the slippery slope to grids full of guys with fathers rather than talent

Hayley
14th July 2008, 14:45
I don't think that's the case. ITV4 has been the best coverage of GP2 since it began. At least you don't need to pay to watch it. When BBC takes over F1 next year hopefully GP2 will follow. GP2 is still a young formula and I'm sure it will get bigger and bigger. Fans love and enjoy the racing so it can only get bigger. One thing I think it is lacking is advertising. GP2 could better advertised on TV and around the world so fans know where to access it.

MikeD
17th July 2008, 13:44
I don't think that's the case. ITV4 has been the best coverage of GP2 since it began. At least you don't need to pay to watch it. When BBC takes over F1 next year hopefully GP2 will follow. GP2 is still a young formula and I'm sure it will get bigger and bigger. Fans love and enjoy the racing so it can only get bigger. One thing I think it is lacking is advertising. GP2 could better advertised on TV and around the world so fans know where to access it.

I am sorry Hayley, but Copse is absolutely right. I have worked as a journalist in GP2 since it began and previously in F3000, and trying to sell the TV rights for GP2 to a TV station in each country in stead of using Eurosport has been a major disaster in terms of TV ratings this year. The consequenses will actually be seen over the next couple of races where we will see more and more pay-drivers take over some of the seats in GP2, because major sponsors are pulling out from the teams due to the low TV ratings so far this season. The fact that Sakon Yamamoto is getting the seat at ART is the first sign that GP2 can risk getting down the same route as F3000 did in its final years.

It's clearly a step in the wrong direction, so for the sake for GP2 surviving as the great racing series it is, let's hope that it goes back to Eurosport (but I doubt it will).

PS: Eurosport has also lost MotoGP from next year, because DORNA thought that MotoGP was such a strong series that it could be sold to a TV station country by country. Problem is that only two (Two!!!!!!) TV stations world wide has expressed interest in buying it. BBC is one of the two but they will only show the MotoGP race and no qualifying or the 250cc or the 125cc races. Actually DORNA has been so surprised by the low interest that they has actually contacted Eurosport again....

Fact is that it's only F1 that is big enough a motorsport to be sold individually in each country. MotoGP only generates 1 TV viewer per 20 F1 viewers world wide. And since GP2 hardly is as big as MotoGP, that should give you an indication of the lack of exposure that GP2 is suffering right now.

Shirk
19th July 2008, 17:25
Quite agree on your Eurosport comments, although their GP2 coverage was far from ideal. Remember that they usually had one of the weekend's two races on Eurosport 2, which, just like Premiere, is a pay channel and not widely available anyway (at least on the continent). I for one would be quite happy if they'd go back to the level of Eurosport's Int. F3000 coverage of that series' final years, which was live if possible but at least same-day for all races.

Why racing series (and I'm sure other sports' promoters as well) continue to seek country-by-country deals is above me. Of course, fifty-odd individual contracts would yield far more than you could ever get out of a single pan-European broadcaster but the additional business effort must be overwhelming, good luck finding half-a-dozen.

Sure, other series fade when compared to Formula 1, audience-wise that is, but look at all the, with all due respect, marginal sports that have better TV coverage than GP2. Anyway I find it hard to imagine that the likes of volleyball, table tennis or gymnastics draw a bigger TV crowd than some of motorsports' finest acts, yet those seem to be on the tube all the time. BTW, the first championship I remember trying to turn it's back on Eurosport this way was CART back in ca. 2000, and we all now how well they did in the wake of that decision (and others) ...

In addition to the BBC, German sports channel DSF has now acquired MotoGP rights for next year (and probably beyond). That channel is quite notorious for frequent and intrusive advertising, rather half-witted commentators (not that Eurosport's German crew is much better, but at least you can switch over to Moody et al.) and unreliable schedules, e.g. if paid programming is running late due to earlier delays. Also, they've already stated on their website that they will broadcast the top class "live or as live" (i.e. delayed) and might cover 125cc and 250cc in round-up format only. So maybe (if at all) a financial gain for Dorna, but an obvious disadvantage for the fans.

About myp2p.eu - there's been a single user streaming this year's GP2 races, and not always reliably (not that I'm complaining, after all it's a free service). Above all, said user is depending on ITV's coverage, and they are becoming increasingly unreliable themselves, currently preempting live coverage for cycling or whatever...

27th July 2008, 12:08
An Arab me wore new NFL jerseys (http://www.jerseys-shopping.com) was interviewed at a U.S checkpoint.Guard: your name please?Arab: runescape money (http://www.g2gmart.com)G:Sex?A: 6 items a week.G: I mean,male or female?A: It doesn't matter,sometimes even camelG: holy cow!A: yes cows and dogs too!G: man,isn't that hostile?A: hostile,dogstyle any free style!G;oh dear!A Deer?No deer,they run fast....

Hayley
30th July 2008, 14:23
I personally didn't like the Eurosport coverage, especially of the GP2 Asia series. I think I remember one comentator saying "yes the red car just overtook the other red car".

Plus I don't have sky so I could never watch it and there was never much in the way of pre race build up and interviews after the race. I think ITV4 in the UK has really hit the nail on the head, F1 is on ITV so when thats finished they tell you to switch over to ITV4 for the GP2.

Also revenue and sponsorship for teams is on the up rather than down. Many big name brands are now getting involved so I don't think thats a problem. The signing of Sakon Yamamoto to ART isn't really an indication of anything as Fillipi has gone to Arden so obviously he has a budget. All the drivers in GP2 are pay drivers I'm afraid they all have to bring a budget!

I suspect there are more difficulties across the rest of the world so here is a list of countries and what channels it is being broadcast on.

Europe
TV2 Sport: Denmark
MTV3: Finland
Eurosport: France & Italy
Premiere: Various
Channel 9: Greece
RAI: Italy
SKY: Italy
RTL Nederland
POLSAT: Poland
Sport TV: Portugal
Setanta: Ireland
REN TV: Russia
La Sexta: Spain
CNN Turkey
ITV4: UK

Americas
Globo TV: Brazil
SPEED: USA
Fox Sports: Latin America
CH7: Argentina
TVES: Venezuela

Middle East
TEN/Zee Sports: Various
ESPN Star Sport: Various

Asia Pacific
Fuji TV: Japan

Africa
Supersport: Various

Oh and GP2 do not sell the rights to any TV channels. All TV rights to GP2 are controlled by FOM and Bernie so they are the ones selling it.

Dave B
30th July 2008, 16:41
ITV4 make a decent enough job of covering GP2 but as is so often the case with their channels they do an utterly piss-poor job of promoting it; even at the end of F1 races they'll plug the BTCC, boxing, football, cycling - even the bloody Coronation Street omnibus - but not mention GP2.

dc10
30th July 2008, 17:11
I agree. The GP2 coverage by ITV4 is good and informative. But you are right they could do so much more to promote it. Took me ages to find out when and where it was being shown at the start of the season.

Hayley
6th August 2008, 13:34
Yeah I definately agree with that.

Nikki Katz
6th August 2008, 19:42
I'm still a bit annoyed by some of the pronunciation from the ITV4 broadcast. They've finally managed to start pronouncing Parente right, but it's taken them long enough hasn't it? Didn't they speak to him after he won that race? How hard would it have been to just ask him. They also seemed to get Soucek right when he was in the lead of that race, but as soon as it looked like he wouldn't win they reverted back to getting it wrong again. Why???

Admittedly the Eurosport guys did sometimes have trouble with car recognition and could waffle at times, but I think that they seemed to offer a lot more insight into the drivers, and not just the British ones (or one).

ITV4 isn't bad though, I've seen much worse commentry in the past. I also love how dismissive they are of Valerio :)

I think that the best thing about the ITV4 coverage though is that it's on freeview, whereas Eurosport isn't, so there's a reasonable chance that if I move out with friends soon then I won't have it. Of course, as ITV and F1 are parting company at the end of the season anyway, I doubt that GP2 will still be on ITV next year, and I don't see BBC jumping to show it either.

mattlamb
24th August 2008, 10:24
The presenter on ITV4's GP2 coverage is awful. What is she doing there?
"How do you feel about the last lap, Giorgio"? What a stupid question!

52Paddy
24th August 2008, 11:46
If you want GP2 coverage, Setanta Ireland do a fair job of it. The commentators Declan Quigley and David Kennedy are adequate enough, but nothing you can't live with. The coverage includes live sprint race on Sunday morning and feature race on the Saturday. Feature is sometimes live, but not all the time, usually 1 or 2 hours afterwards I think. One bad thing about Setanta's coverage is that they seldom interview the drivers (this is the same for F1) but I think it will just take time before they get to waltz around the paddock themselves. They're still a new channel to the motorsport scene.

BDunnell
25th August 2008, 11:40
Of course, as ITV and F1 are parting company at the end of the season anyway, I doubt that GP2 will still be on ITV next year, and I don't see BBC jumping to show it either.

Interesting point. If the BBC doesn't show it in some way, there will then be the pointless situation of the 'feeder' series having entirely separate coverage, which is in no-one's interests. Still, though, with the apparent fragmentation of the feeder series, maybe this won't matter so much.

14th September 2008, 23:06
Nude-calendar 1177, human and Shouzu the third "Battle of Lawson," Lawson barriers on the ground before the start of the Gap. Runescape Gold (http://www.runescape-shop.com/runescape-gold/runescape-gold.php)This is a historic campaign, the campaign is "human beast seven years of war" in the first three major campaigns, the history of bare-called "people's car used to launch the war." Runescape Power leveling (http://www.runescape-shop.com/runescape-power-leveling/runescape-power-leveling.php)Because, the bare-three million migrant workers has made in a month-20,000 warships, and timely expansion to the navy,Runescape Powerleveling (http://www.runescape-shop.com/runescape-power-leveling/runescape-power-leveling.php) so that mankind has made the absolute superiority in the sea, with both sides of the back to. And the barren Shouzufengru the mainland until the 37th of the people of God the outbreak of war. runescape shop (http://www.runescape-shop.com/)And it is precisely because of this campaign, the first time in the bare-war history, referred to the "Portland Ruo-yun," the name, many historians experts to the expansion of the war of special significance. Some people even said that, if not the war, as there will be a great hero was inspired by, of course, will be impossible for a human return to the mainland seven glorious history. age of conan power leveling (http://www.aoc-power-leveling.org)Moreover, we said to this great man, in this war also made a bit of good results? Runescape Gold Farm (http://www.runescape-shop.com/runescape-gold-farm/runescape-gold-farm.php)Portland Ruo-yun from Lawson on the Fort Fangyanwangqu, with both sides of the narrow ground to beat the Shouzu row over the army. aoc power leveling (http://www.aoc-power-leveling.org)A tall face of ferocious ethnic people Zhengning the claws, but the body is more moderate and flexible people who foot, body, wrapped in a layer of black scales in the long tentacles of the Long Tuzhuo ethnic people. Of course, the master control of the air wing wizard and although their number less, but also with the team in the final, when prone radio ready siege of human soldiers guarding the wall. buy age of conan power leveling (http://www.aoc-power-leveling.org)Mankind's troops began to open Lawson barriers, 200,000 of the green collar Tieqi, hidden in two wings of the Tieqi second only to God bow of the 50,000 camp bow riders, and are in the final of the 300,000 Yazhen infantry. buy aoc power leveling (http://www.aoc-power-leveling.org)Interval between the two sides about two kilometers distance from each other to see the other side of the bright banner of omnipresent there shaking. Ma Si Ming and the anger of the arms occasionally break out the Runescape money (http://www.runescape-shop.com/runescape-gold/runescape-gold.php)sound of the collision, but the two sides is almost non-soldiers heard voices, the silence before the war that is reinforced by the kind of Qishixiongxiong Fengyuyulai. Runescape Mini Game (http://www.runescape-shop.com/rs-mini-game/runescape-mini-game.php)The weather has also Laicourenao this time, to beat the dark clouds gradually from the Rs Power leveling (http://www.runescape-shop.com/runescape-power-leveling/runescape-power-leveling.php) floating over the horizon, live coverage of the original is also clear skies, Yuan Yidian gradually so that the soldiers almost clear of each other's faces, the temperature suddenly dropped. So many people and irritable, even more tense over the past fainted. Rs Gold (http://www.runescape-shop.com/runescape-gold/runescape-gold.php)Line-up finish. Last night talk election effort a silvery white armor, general Pigua得不skin to stay one point, struggling carrying a spear, at the moment Lawson body trembling from the Fort-Ruo-yun, although aware that this time only The first student, is not played with, but on the battlefield or Sheyu powerful Shaqi, the lack of tension in the Tuiruan body.