PDA

View Full Version : IRC vs WRC - Setting up a new team

Sulland
21st May 2008, 12:27
Marcus Gronholm driving the 0 car in Portugal, was very impressed by the speed of the IRC cars (Read S2000)
He said that they were closer to 1 sec pr km ss, than the 2 sec he expected.
He also said they looked very fun to drive !

The media coverage of IRC is picking up, and will soon give sponsors what they are looking for. And in my book if I were a sponsor, I would prefere to put my money into a car that has the chance of fighting for victory. In WRC the M2 teams will only be able to do that if the factory team cars are out - due to a number of factors.
In IRC you can buy a top car, get good engineers and drivers - and you are fighting for the lead. And since the cars are so equal, it is usually much closer btw the cars in the top - and the exitement for all involved are at a high for the whole rally.

So in my book, if I were to set up a new team, I see many advantages with IRC instead of a M2 team, where you are beaten before you start the rally.
And as many says; WRC is on its way down with the current format car, but IRC is fast on its way up !

PS
So if IRC would like to have a mediashow - offer Marcus a 207 for a IRC event !!

Karbonyl
21st May 2008, 12:42
I guess Marcus will wait for new Fiesta S2K ;)

Abarth
22nd May 2008, 06:53
I agree with Sulland, I think it will give the sponsors more value for money to set up a IRC team than a M2 WRC team.

Without any testing it is hard for the drivers to get the car optimized for their driving style, and to drive a car you really dont know a 100% !

Tom206wrc
22nd May 2008, 08:14
I guess Marcus will wait for new Fiesta S2K ;)

You know, VAG/Skoda allows Kopecky to drive a Peugeot even if he's still under their contract... ;)

AndyRAC
22nd May 2008, 08:31
You know, VAG/Skoda allows Kopecky to drive a Peugeot even if he's still under their contract... ;)

Which is sensible - he drives that little for them that've realised it wouldn't be fair to keep him from making a living. Some Manufacturers wouldn't be so enlightened.

DonJippo
22nd May 2008, 09:27
I agree with Sulland, I think it will give the sponsors more value for money to set up a IRC team than a M2 WRC team.

Without any testing it is hard for the drivers to get the car optimized for their driving style, and to drive a car you really dont know a 100% !

M2 teams can have testing as well in case you mean it's not possible.

Karbonyl
22nd May 2008, 11:24
You know, VAG/Skoda allows Kopecky to drive a Peugeot even if he's still under their contract... ;) We could say, that driving a Peugeot makes a profit to Kopecky, who can learn how to drive S2K, and also for Skoda Team, which now knows, how actually the best S2K car works ;)

Abarth
22nd May 2008, 12:41
M2 teams can have testing as well in case you mean it's not possible.

Yes, but it is so expensive to do that, so very few M2 teams do it. Part of the reason they are not closer to the top times, since the cars are good enough, and some of the drivers as well, but the two parts are not fine tuned !

But seen from a sponsor and their clients that they bring to rallies, it is much better if "your" cars are fighting on equal terms, and finghting for the win !

Sulland
22nd May 2008, 18:39
What about seeing it from a drivers point of view for a while.

What would be your choice if you were H Solberg or Stohl in 09.

Options:
Henning Solberg; Stobart M2 in WRC or Kronos 207 in IRC
Stohl: Own M2 team with 307 or Kronos 207

In this example: Lets say the cost is the same.

What would you do ?

Tomi
22nd May 2008, 18:47
What about seeing it from a drivers point of view for a while.

What would be your choice if you were H Solberg or Stohl in 09.

Options:
Henning Solberg; Stobart M2 in WRC or Kronos 207 in IRC
Stohl: Own M2 team with 307 or Kronos 207

In this example: Lets say the cost is the same.

What would you do ?

Stohl to drive in the interior designer challenge, and Henning to drive rallycross.

DonJippo
22nd May 2008, 20:23
But seen from a sponsor and their clients that they bring to rallies, it is much better if "your" cars are fighting on equal terms, and finghting for the win !

Does not seem to be bothering Expert at all and I'm sure others do also realize that not all can win.

RS
23rd May 2008, 09:35
I think Stohl is making a mistake trying to do WRC 2009 in a 307 (unless of course all the factory teams have quit by then).

Unless he can afford a Focus or a C4 he would be better off in IRC driving a 207 for a full programme. He's certainly got some talent and with an equal car could probably fight for the championship in IRC instead of the scraps in WRC.

For a sponsor I guess it depends what drivers you are backing. Some regular WRC points scorers/M2 drivers like Wilson, Rautenbach, Villagra, Companc would not be able to cut it in IRC.

Interesting that a few months ago this dicsussion was IRC vs. pWRC and now it's IRC vs. "M2" WRC ;)

grugsticles
23rd May 2008, 13:50
I think Stohl is making a mistake trying to do WRC 2009 in a 307 (unless of course all the factory teams have quit by then).

Unless he can afford a Focus or a C4 he would be better off in IRC driving a 207 for a full programme. He's certainly got some talent and with an equal car could probably fight for the championship in IRC instead of the scraps in WRC.

For a sponsor I guess it depends what drivers you are backing. Some regular WRC points scorers/M2 drivers like Wilson, Rautenbach, Villagra, Companc would not be able to cut it in IRC.

Interesting that a few months ago this dicsussion was IRC vs. pWRC and now it's IRC vs. "M2" WRC ;)
Companc - I actually rate him. Give him some testing and I recon he could mix it with the Atkinson's/Sordo's/Gardemiester's of the WRC. I doubt he will win, but as a solid number 2 I think he would surprise.

As for Wilson, Rautenbach, Villagra... totally agree with you there.

I also agree on Stohl - he can drive. But lack of money for testing often lets him down. Again, hes in the same boat as most M2 drivers when it comes to testing vs money.

Sulland
14th June 2008, 09:54
To ease the intro fro new teams FIA will suggest a new system that makes it easier, and cheaper to start a new rally team in WRC or PWRC.

Instead of having to sign up for a full season at once, new teams can now if they want;

1st year: participate in minimum 25% of calendar
2nd year: Minimum 50 % of calendar
3rd year: Minimum 75 % of calendar
4th year: Full season

Looks like a very good initiative. It is not easy to set up a team from scratch
, and this would ease the situation !

wwbroe
14th June 2008, 10:07
To ease the intro fro new teams FIA will suggest a new system that makes it easier, and cheaper to start a new rally team in WRC or PWRC.

Instead of having to sign up for a full season at once, new teams can now if they want;

1st year: participate in minimum 25% of calendar
2nd year: Minimum 50 % of calendar
3rd year: Minimum 75 % of calendar
4th year: Full season

Looks like a very good initiative. It is not easy to set up a team from scratch
, and this would ease the situation !

Is this just an idea that you are launching, or is this news allready comfirmed by FIA? :confused:

Sulland
14th June 2008, 12:39
It was reported from a eurosport commentator that said that this proposal was to be considered at he June 24 Rally Commission meeting.

Dont know more than that.

c4
14th June 2008, 12:59
Is this just an idea that you are launching, or is this news allready comfirmed by FIA? :confused:

It is a proposal by Morrie Chandler.

"The proposal has been drawn up to make it easier for new teams to come into the WRC on a progressive basis."
"They will need to sign up to the championship but they will then be allowed to ease into competition."

As Sulland said will be discussed at next WRCC meeting

Quote by Chandler in MSN

RS
14th June 2008, 20:39
It is a proposal by Morrie Chandler.

"The proposal has been drawn up to make it easier for new teams to come into the WRC on a progressive basis."
"They will need to sign up to the championship but they will then be allowed to ease into competition."

As Sulland said will be discussed at next WRCC meeting

Quote by Chandler in MSN

Didn't we already have a similar system a few years back? It is probably a good idea, but hardly revolutionary.

c4
14th June 2008, 21:17
Didn't we already have a similar system a few years back? It is probably a good idea, but hardly revolutionary.

Think teams have had to complete full seasons since 2002. Weren't Citroen given dispensation for their first year but then had to be a full season next? Think before, teams had to apply for dispensation with the agreement of the other manufacturers. This system does away with that and enables a team to bed into the championship, but crucially with a commitment. Bet "Monster" had wished he waited a couple of years.

Sulland
24th April 2011, 16:04
In light of Warmbold's blog and other info we have of the life of WRC customers, I would have little doubt. If I were to set up a team I would go IRC, then with the right driver, you actually have a chance for victory !

gloomyDAY
24th April 2011, 21:19
In light of Warmbold's blog and other info we have of the life of WRC customers, I would have little doubt. If I were to set up a team I would go IRC, then with the right driver, you actually have a chance for victory !I would go IRC too! Wilson is a money-sucking grifter, and I'm glad Warmbold is giving everyone some insight to the ugly side of rallying.

koko0703
25th April 2011, 17:45
In either series, it's not that easy for a brand new team to win right out of box.

Full works WRC teams have quite a lot more resources than most of privateers, but that doesn't mean M2 teams can compete against works team. Even if you can't win or get to the podium, if you keep finishing consistently 5th or 6th behind works boys, I think you'll get decent attention. I don't think it's that easy to finish consistently in top 5 in IRC as the field is larger and competition is closer than WRC right now.

Gard
26th April 2011, 22:40
Well, IRC has app 1% of the viewers of WRC. So they really are not comparable.

Franky
26th April 2011, 22:42
A true fact is that in reality we have absolutely no idea how many viewers WRC or IRC have.

TMorel
27th April 2011, 10:30
Well, due to the switch from Dave to ESPN, I'm personally finding it easier to watch the IRC than the WRC. Quality and enjoyment... now that's a different conversation, but bums on seats viewer I'm down with the dark side.